CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE II - What Do You Want To See?

Darren Watts

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE II - What Do You Want To See?

Perhaps it's because' date=' legally, the Circle is still the IP of Aaron Allston. I'm not sure if the rights to METE have reverted back to him, though.[/quote']

Change the name, change the characters, keep the concept. A time honored Comic Book tradition.

I suspect that "Because we don't think that many people want a full Occult superhero team, and it would take up more space than it's worth" may also play its part. ;)

This does seem to be a fruitful area for further development' date=' and would add a great deal of distinctive "local color" to the Champions Universe. However, I believe that the Martial Arts World in the CU is sufficiently rich and diverse to sustain its own sourcebook: international and alien martial artists, legendary and fictional martial arts styles and MA "superpowers," Yengtao Temple, Shamballah and Agharti, the Tournament of the Dragon, etc.[/quote']I think a very similar thing could be said about the Super-Tech World, even beyond what's explored in G&G. But we have to take what we can get. :)

as no one has beaten this dead horse, i'm once again putting in a request for more and better art--while there has been some improvement, i still say CHAMPIONS is in need of more "visual flavor text"--books with good art and write ups will expand your market, as they can be sold to even non-HERO system players more easily--plus "pictures are worth a thousand words," especially when it comes to fleshing out a universe...

I like to have good tough NPCs too; the second idiocy that needs to be ignored are those people who essentially say that you give the PCs a blankie and milk and cookies and a teddy bear and no superior NPC heroes in their space, they can't be happy. However, do find to get PCs involved with NPC hero groups that won't make them feel like third rate incompetents next to shiny GM pets.

Normally, I'm firmly in that "Second Idiocy" camp, but I think superior NPC heroes make sense for a book like CU2, especially since I've noticed a LOT of requests for write-ups for the Justice Squadron, et al, so give the people what they want. Or think they want.

This is a truly ambitious and exciting vision which leaves me all tingly! :cool: However, IMO this is not the time for such a project, with the other books you mention still available and relatively fresh and pertinent. I get the impression that you recognize the impracticality of it at this point as well, Scott.

Two or three years further down the road, though, heck yeah! :rockon:

When Rob Bell and I were doing Classic Enemies, I wanted to gab characters from International File and Villainy Unbound. Rob felt that it was too close to the publication date to put them in.

Rob was right... except that Classic Enemies was an evergreen title. Within a couple years, people would have forgotten they'd been recently published, and adding and preserving some of them would have made a good book even better.

I would hope that Champions Universe would be one of the line's foundation stone titles. along with CKC, Champions Genre Book, and the USPD, which is why I say they should be pushed as far and as hard as they can. Because 2010 can't come soon enough. :-)

OK, lessee what we got so far:

2) The scope of the book itself- while I appreciate the way Scott and others think, the publishing reality is this is a 160-page book that needs to be done by around Thanksgiving. It's *not* going to be a complete re-imagining of the Champs Universe. (Hey, you gotta save us some projects for 2009 and on.) There will be a chapter on M-City over the last few years, but there's plenty of focus on other places, especially New York since that will probably never get a book of its own.

Thanks guys- keep firing! dw

Oh sure, Darren. Bring the real world into it, why don't you? :-)

More seriously, Hermit's ideas on covering the state of the cosmos and Bob's suggestions on providing more coverage to the various subworlds sound really good to me. And I'd be happy with at least one good, fully laid-out scenario.

I would like to see IHA expanded a bit. A new Minute Man would be sweet!

Sadly, you may have to wait for late 2007, when the Crews, Cops And Cabals organization compilation is scheduled. The IHA is supposed to be detailed in that book.

OTOH I should hope that there would be some guidelines in CU II as to what the IHA, ARGENT and other groups have been up to since CU I was published.

I'd really like to see some updated information regarding the meta registration act in a post 9/11 world. For that matter, I'm anxious to see if the September 11th attacks even happened in the CU.

What would I want to see? Well, the Sentinels and Justice Squadron write ups are mentioned, but what about the Bay Guardians and other west coast types?

On another note, I miss Sanctuary. Am I alone in this?

Normally' date=' I'm firmly in that "Second Idiocy" camp, but I think superior NPC heroes make sense for a book like CU2, especially since I've noticed a LOT of requests for write-ups for the Justice Squadron, et al, so give the people what they want. Or think they want.[/quote']

One of the reasons I enjoy high-level NPCs is because sometimes you can turn them into high-level PCs. :) Sure people want to create their own original characters; but if you're running a version of an official world setting, and you have a NPC team that's the Avengers/Justice League of that world, with all the power and resources and prestige and history that goes with it, it can be a hoot to hand those characters over to your players for a while and let them really get into feeling like the best of the best.

I fear it's unlikely to happen, but I'd really like that "new hero team" that Darren mentioned as being in CU II to be from somewhere other than the United States. Nothing at all against the USA, but with three major American teams detailed in this book, plus the Ravenswood Academy teens, plus the solo supers of Millennium City and Vibora Bay, and some CU-based teams written up in Digital Hero, I feel that the States already has decent coverage NPCwise. In general I believe that if you're going to use NPC heroes, you can get more mileage out of those who are from outside the campaign's home base, which for the majority of supers gamers is the United States. There's greater potential for conflict and misunderstanding between the teams, especially if the PCs find themselves on the other heroes' turf.

I realize that Canada and the United Kingdom are going to get their own sourcebooks, so we'll probably have to wait until then to see heroes from those countries. :( Also, the Tiger Squad from China is scheduled for Villains, Vandals And Vermin, so they're spoken for. But there are plenty of other CU teams from all over the world mentioned in CU I and Champions Worldwide. How about the Guardian Angels in Mexico, or France's Vanguard, or the Victory Brigade of South America, or the Children of Attaturk from Turkey, or India's Superhero Division? Perhaps a revival of the People's Legion in Russia, or the often-proposed European branch of UNITY?

I'll second just about everything Lord Liaden has said here. And I really do like Darren's original ideas listed at the start of the thread.

And yes, some veteran heroes would look great. Newcomers can compare them to their original entries in the Champions genre book, and see how characters can develop. Us old veterans can just see how they compare to our own characters.

This sounds like something I'm very eager to see.

I fear it's unlikely to happen' date=' but I'd really like that "new hero team" that Darren mentioned as being in CU II to be from somewhere other than the United States. [/quote']

I'm in the opposite boat myself. There are 11 known hero teams in the US. So far only 5 of them have been written up. Those 6 teams constitute some 30-40 new heroes. To my mind those are 30-40 heroes most campaigns will have a better chance of encountering then a foreign team. If the non-US team was StarForce I'd agree with you because Toronto isn't that far from Millennium City and there'd be a lot of times where you might team-up with them. Filling out the world's teams should come later, IMO.

I'm in the opposite boat myself. There are 11 known hero teams in the US. So far only 5 of them have been written up. Those 6 teams constitute some 30-40 new heroes. To my mind those are 30-40 heroes most campaigns will have a better chance of encountering then a foreign team. If the non-US team was StarForce I'd agree with you because Toronto isn't that far from Millennium City and there'd be a lot of times where you might team-up with them. Filling out the world's teams should come later' date=' IMO.[/quote']

I can see your point, but for my part I wouldn't want a lot of team-ups with any particular team. I like team-ups to be unusual and special events, so if the location is a little more exotic so much the better. Mind you, most of my campaigns are based somewhere in Canada, so even the US is a little exotic. ;) That probably colors my desire for less Americentric material.

But how about that Mexican team? Foreign but close to the American border, with a lot of current issues between those two countries. Surely that has potential.

I hope that you'll be dipping into the pool of 4th edition characters Hero Games still has the rights to. I have some particular sentimental favorites I'd love to see again.

Some of the ones I'm fond of had your name on them IIRC. :)

Not to threadjack too far, but if you had to choose just one, who would it be?