Make Your Own Motivational Poster

Susano

Re: Make Your Own Motivational Poster

Speak for yourself. I'm 99% sure I'm a figment of the board's collective imagination.*

*and wow, you people have some weird ideas!

Schmee*

*giggle*

That can't be true. I've met you.

*Schmee is the sound a smile makes.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Re: Make Your Own Memorial Day Poster

Memorial Day is coming up again, and once again I've memorialized a couple of heroes.

[ATTACH]31571[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]31572[/ATTACH]

You'll probably have to download them to read them....sorry about that....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary lights the candle and turns the wheel.

Memorial Day is coming up again, and once again I've memorialized a couple of heroes.

[ATTACH]31571[/ATTACH][ATTACH]31572[/ATTACH]

Lucius Alexander

I think these guys are on badass of the week... and if they aren't they should be.

I think these guys are on badass of the week... and if they aren't they should be.

David Bleak is - While doing research on him I ran across that site.

Eugene Bullard has been a personal hero of mine for years, but I'd never before tried to boil his story down to one page.

Edit: Found Bullard on Badass too.

"Bullard would end his days in Harlem, working during the day as an elevator operator. Some would say this was an ignominous end for such a man, but I imagine every day Bullard woke up without any f*cking Germans trying to kill him was a pretty good day."

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary of the week.

Lucius Alexander

These two gentlemen's accomplishments are very impressive. Thank you for the introduction. Repped, of course.

Id heard of Bullard before.

That the United States of the era was so blind to his amazing abilites and qualities, simply because of the color of his skin, is to their enduring shame.

The man was simply an astounding Human Being.

Id heard of Bullard before.

That the United States of the era was so blind to his amazing abilites and qualities, simply because of the color of his skin, is to their enduring shame.

The man was simply an astounding Human Being.

To me, Bullard's story drives home just how wasteful racism is. It's not just Eugene Bullard who suffered because of the opportunities he was denied. Everyone loses when a person is held back from their potential.

But that's not why he's a hero to me. He's a hero to me because of what he did when the Germans invaded in WWII. No one could have blamed him for taking himself and his daughters back to his own homeland. No one could have expected him to take up arms yet again at his time of life, no one in his adopted country would have dared say "You, Bullard, you have not given enough, you must do more!"

But he did do more, and it took a spinal injury PLUS a direct order to get him to seek safety in America. As I said in my poster, it's like he never backed down from a fight in his life.

But enough! This is off topic after all. If I want to go on and on, I should start a thread about Eugene Bullard!

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders why it is that he never returned to France...or would that have felt like backing down and running away?

Lucius Alexander

I hadn't heard of Bullard, but I have heard of other people of mixed race or otherwise "other" ancestry from the U.S. that found acceptance, and sometimes even fame and wealth, in France.

I find Bleak's story especially interesting, since he didn't carry a gun. Did/do medics normally not carry firearms? I guess they would be loaded down enough with medical supplies and such they wouldn't have room for ammo, but it still impresses me. It reminds me of a guy who was a conscientious objector, so didn't carry a gun, but instead flew an evac helicopter in some of the most hair raising conditions. I think it was during Vietnam...

I hadn't heard of Bullard, but I have heard of other people of mixed race or otherwise "other" ancestry from the U.S. that found acceptance, and sometimes even fame and wealth, in France.

I find Bleak's story especially interesting, since he didn't carry a gun. Did/do medics normally not carry firearms? I guess they would be loaded down enough with medical supplies and such they wouldn't have room for ammo, but it still impresses me. It reminds me of a guy who was a conscientious objector, so didn't carry a gun, but instead flew an evac helicopter in some of the most hair raising conditions. I think it was during Vietnam...

Under Geneva Convention rules for medical personnel, they are allowed a pistol for defense of themselves and thier patients.

In the U.S. Navy/Marine Corps, they are not required to carry them.

Also shipboard, medical personnel cannot be assigned to armed watches to defend the ship. They can be assigned unarmed watches, though.

• 2 weeks later...