Recommendations For Steve's Military SF Reading

Steve Long

shameless plug

Originally posted by JohnTaber

Hi Gents,

I have a great comic recommendation...

Alien Legion by Carl Potts - Footslogging group of misfits. Sort of a French Foreign Legion in space. Has a great Dirty Dozen flavor that I just love and the art from Cirocco and Stromann (later on) is just rad.

http://www.foot-sloggers.com, sanctioned by Carl Potts.

And I've got to second the Bolo series. Great treatment of AI's combined with really big powerful machines.

Aroooo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by AlHazred

Actually, I've always thought a Bolos-versus-Berserkers setting could be pretty interesting...

Wow, what an image that just conjured for me: two races of sentient machines, one programmed to protect life, the other to exterminate it, locked in eternal war long after the races that created them are extinct. How poignantly tragic.

I'll have to work on this. :cool:

(Sorry for the preemption, Steve.) :o

Originally posted by Steve Long

No, I'd be remiss. I've got that, have read it many times, and love it. (The first sequel I disliked, often intensely; haven't read any of the others.)

I'd second the Ender's Game, Dorsai and Mote In God's Eye. And while they are "someone elses propery" the X wing books by Stackpole and Allston are really fun. Fighter pilot space combat, lots of combat details and ship to ship battles.

I'd also recomend the Gap Series by Donaldson. Like his other works it is very adult, and sometimes too sexual, but it has some really nice space battles and tactics.

I'd also recomend the comic book Sigil from Crossgen. Space opera and lots of combat.

In reference to the Enders books (and not military SF in particular), if you didn't like the first sequel skip the next two, but do read Ender's Shadow. It is set during Ender's game, and is told from the pov of Bean.

I don't know if I'd read it...

Gregory Benford has an arc of novels which include bands of refugee or nomadic humans trying to survive after the robots have ejected them from the cities they built. Essentially, the AIs have decided to eliminate them and they are struggling to survive and find a way off planet.

This is the fringe of military SF, since it's SF, combined with tactics and combat, but with more 'pack' culture than military heirarchy culture.

I have to toss in a vote for the Lois Bujold series. Absolutely great space opera / military science fiction.

Timothy Zahn has done quite a few military SF novels in his Cobra Series and some of his other novels. In general a good hard science - science fiction author.

Also have to say that babylon 5 has some excellent military and diplomatic action that is relevant.

Most of my favorites are already listed but....

Originally posted by Monolith

David Webber (with Steve White) also did 4 books which encompass the Starfire Universe. The series covers a number of years from beginning to end, so you get a perspective of the entire immediate timeline as every race just continues returning to war.

Insurrection

Crusade

In Death Ground

The Shiva Option

The first two ( I & C ) are complete stories each describing complete campaigns. IDG and TSO are part one and two of a single campaign/war. The emphasis of the stories is Fleet actions. Fleets with a capital F. These are really good reads, especially if you like fleet level carnage :D

Also John Ringo's series A Hymn Before Battle, Gust Front, When the Devil Dances and Hell's Faire are pretty good.

And last but not least all seven of Debra Doyle and James D. MacDonalds Mageworld novels are really good scifi.

2 good ones!

Also David drakes "ranks of bronze", and "foreign legions" and David Webber's "Excaliber option"

HUman low techs kidnapped to serve as janissaries in space.

Originally posted by AlHazred

snip

I'm going to suggest Brian Daley's The Doomfarers of Coramonde (1977) and The Starfollowers of Coramonde(1979). It's the story of a modern (for the 1970s) mercenary company transported by magic from the jungles of Viet Nam to a fantasy world. They're efforts to come to grips with the circumstances, and they're gradual attempts to improve the technology of their patrons, is an interesting take on low-tech military science fiction/fantasy. The same idea was used by Jerry Pournelle in his Janissaries series, except there the mercenaries are transported by aliens from the jungles of Africa.

snip.

In some ways Path of the fury is one of his very best.

And I love them all. :)

Originally posted by Archon

Weber and Ringo have a collaborative series called the March. It starts with March Upcountry, March to the Sea, and March to the Stars. 4 more books to go. I personally enjoyed them.

Weber's single creation "Path of the Fury" is also a good one. This one is mentioned in the old Ultimate Mentalist bibliography.

If you want to try "Mutineer's Moon," which is the first book of the Heirs of the Imperium, you can get the book for free as an ebook at baen.com in the Free Library.

I apologize if these have been mentioned, I don't have time to read the rest of the thread thoroughly.

"Future War". Short story collection editted by Jack Dann & Gardner Dozois. A little closer to modern technology than most people would consider Sci-Fi, but there are lessons to be learned from some of the scenarios.

There Will Be War. Never actually read this myself, but I've had it recommended to me so many times it's on my "really oughta read someday" list.

The Siege of Earth by John Faucette, a great story combining land, air, and space warfare in the far future, as it applies to a planetary siege operation. Also the Wing Commander novels by Mercedes Lackay, tells of outstanding carrier based space warfare. :cool:

Speaking of David Gerrold, his War Against the Chtorr series would probably be good reading for preparation for Alien Wars. Try to get the first run of books. He produced three, then had writer's block. A few years afterward, he came out with book four, and took the opportunity to go back and rewrite the first three. In my opinion, his first run was a better, tighter, series; in his revised books, he has too many sidetracks into alternative lifestyles and bizzare sexualities. He's better with action, and less good with preachy philosophical asides.

Most of the solo work by Jerry Pournelle is good military sci-fi.

I would also suggest:

Planet Run by Keith Laumer and Gordpn Dickson

Tactics of Mistake by Gordon Dickson

There is a couple of good compulations editted by Gardner Dozois: Space Soldiers & Future War. I like these the best since I think the short story and novella is the best format for military sci-fi.

I also would add a vote John Ringo, I think he is writing the best military sci-fi currently being published.

While not exactly in the vein you were after Steve, a good book to put into the bibliography (and that you should read just because it is good) is The Uplift War by David Brinn. There is some frontline action, but it is about a planet being blockaded and invaded. Has a lot of nifty stuff about the consequences of war, and some cool social things going on by the conquerers. As well as a lot of stuff on people in hiding.

...heard Pournelle mentioned and would definitely recommend Falkenberg's Legion. Bujold and Weber are mainstays, and Bujold's works go beyond the military genre. I also enjoyed Moon and Ringo, and the various collaborations those two did with others, especially the Weber/Ringo series. While not really military SF, I'd also recommend James Alan Gardner's Expendable and subsequent titles. Ender's Game is one of my desert island books (along with the Stand and, of course, Tolkien's collected works) and I thought Ender's Shadow was also quite good, but never really enjoyed Speaker..., Xenocide, etc.

Originally posted by Spence

All these titles and only four. FOUR! I haven't read.....

Would those be (or at least include) the Phule's Company books I cited? (Just curious; nobody else seems to be seconding it or even addressing it in any other way.)
All I can say is someone better get to writing.
Well, I do have an unpublished series of my own; but I guess that's not very helpful, eh? :)