What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I've often felt that anyone contemplating a wuxia/wild martial arts game needs to watch Big Trouble in Little China. Because if you don't like what you see there, you're probably going to hate what Hong Kong does in their films.

That said, I also liked Forbidden Kingdom a great deal.

I agree. And Forbidden Kingdom was fun.

My favorite of the Heisei series; one of my favorite Godzilla movies period.

Hmmm...love Godzilla, but I really don't like this film too much. It's REALLY overated. In it's favor, Godzilla looks AMAZING! Problem is...as good as he looks, I thought Ghidorah looked(and sounded) pathetic. One sequence with the middle head bobbling unaturally around took me right out of the picture. I thought the 60's King Ghidorah came off way better. Many of the effects in this picture are....hmmm...bad. And yet another time travel plot that's not thought out too well. But it does have Yoshio Tsuchiya in it...which makes up for a lot in my book.

Son of Godzilla

Make the hurting stop! Now, I love me some good monster movies, but this was bad on so many levels. Still, I continue to work my way though the franchise in order. Next up is Godzilla's revenge, which by reading the blurb on the netflix envelope is a movie that skips right past the "number of beers to enjoy" scale, straight to the "mixed drinks" one.

Well look at it this way, if you can mke it through that movie without driving an axe into your own brain to end the torture you can watch anything without feeling any pain. Even a Uwe Boll/Seltzer & Friedburg film fest won't faze you.

Or you can watch the version that comes with the commentary by a "professional" Godzilla fan and enjoy the snark.

The original' date=' B&W 1965 version of [i']Gamera[/i].

It was pretty horrid. To much yakking, not enough kaiju smashing stuff.

That series really got better when they brought in other monsters for Gamera to battle. Though the "new" version they did in the 90's was amazingly well done. It even had the first female kaiju suit actor for Gyaos.

That series really got better when they brought in other monsters for Gamera to battle. Though the "new" version they did in the 90's was amazingly well done. It even had the first female kaiju suit actor for Gyaos.

I own the 1990s trilogy and found it to be fantastic! The proper mix of people, monsters, and stuff getting blown up. Not to mention a decent back story that works for the series.

Well look at it this way, if you can mke it through that movie without driving an axe into your own brain to end the torture you can watch anything without feeling any pain. Even a Uwe Boll/Seltzer & Friedburg film fest won't faze you.

Or you can watch the version that comes with the commentary by a "professional" Godzilla fan and enjoy the snark.

If anyone can tell me why I watched "Godzilla's revenge" sober, I'd like to know. I knew it was going to be bad going in and I watched it straight up. The thing is, it was bad for all the wrong reasons. Bad acting, bad special effects, bad scripts, all these things I can forgive. But they realy phoned this one in. Almost all the fight scenes were STOCK FOOTAGE FROM EARLIER MOVIES! If I wanted to see Godzilla vs. the sea monster, I would have rented it! And it wasn't just one fight, it was most of them. We've come a long way from trashing Tokyo. If this was anymore kid-frendly, you'd have to paint Godzilla purple and have him start singing. If you are drunk enough to enjoy this movie, you are probably too plastered to hit play on the remote.

If anyone can tell me why I watched "Godzilla's revenge" sober' date=' I'd like to know. I knew it was going to be bad going in and I watched it straight up. The thing is, it was bad for all the wrong reasons. Bad acting, bad special effects, bad scripts, all these things I can forgive. But they realy phoned this one in. Almost all the fight scenes were STOCK FOOTAGE FROM EARLIER MOVIES! If I wanted to see Godzilla vs. the sea monster, I would have rented it! And it wasn't just one fight, it was most of them. We've come a long way from trashing Tokyo. If this was anymore kid-frendly, you'd have to paint Godzilla purple and have him start singing. If you are drunk enough to enjoy this movie, you are probably too plastered to hit play on the remote.[/quote']

Ok...the movie was conceived as a children's flick, so that can hardly be leveled as a complaint. And in fairness, kids usually have a great time watching it.

I own the 1990s trilogy and found it to be fantastic! The proper mix of people' date=' monsters, and stuff getting blown up. Not to mention a decent back story that works for the series.[/quote']

Yeap...an awesome trilogy. The destruction scene in Gamera 3 is incredble. This series also had a knack for how to blend CGI in with other SPFX elements that just created amazing visuals.

Solomon Kane. Not bad but I never read the source material. You could see who the masked overlord was going to be early on.

The Wolfman. Not bad at all. Savage and nasty werewolfing.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Very good but very dark. Be warned if you want to see this.

Green Zone. Very good

Watched Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans. They're amazingly similar, with the same basic plotline (reluctant hero finally embraces destiny, kills monster, end with ridiculously excessive self-gratification sequence). Alice at least had a decently amusing villainess, while Clash had a cool Medusa, but I'm glad I didn't pay to see either. But why is it all big Hollywood movies these days seem to be scripted by the same not-particularly-gifted 12-year old?

cheers, Mark

Watched Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans. They're amazingly similar' date=' with the same basic plotline (reluctant hero finally embraces destiny, kills monster, end with ridiculously excessive self-gratification sequence). Alice at least had a decently amusing villainess, while Clash had a cool Medusa, but I'm glad I didn't pay to see either. But why is it all big Hollywood movies these days seem to be scripted by the same not-particularly-gifted 12-year old? [/quote']

Because the formula is believed to be what the public wants. Admitting that it isn't would mean admitting that you can't create success on demand, and not many on the business side in Hollywood built careers admitting that.

All of which you knew, but I'm bitter.

Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe-The original cartoon...still better than the more recent live action movie(though Tilda Swinton is excellent in that version).

Gojira-The original japanese 1954 version...in a theater...with Akira Takarada, the movie's male lead, in attendance. The movie is great even after all these years.

Gehara- Japanese short film about a hairy monster. A REALLY hairy monster. Basically a spoof, but a fun one.

Terror of Mechagodzilla- Not my favorite G film, but it has its moments.

Lion' date=' Witch and the Wardrobe-The original cartoon...still better than the more recent live action movie(though Tilda Swinton is excellent in that version).[/quote']

IIRC, Bill Meléndez (known for A Charlie Brown Christmas and other Peanuts adaptations and a thoroughly underrated animator IMHO) directed that film.