What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

• 2 weeks later...

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

The Smallville "Booster" episode...

I have to say, they got Booster Gold damn near perfect. He was very much the original glory seeking Booster Gold with potential to be a real hero. Jaimie...not quite as dead on imo and the reason he resisted might seem a bit cheesy to some. Poor Skeetz appears to be a blue..make that gold-tooth, but then that might just be the connection. Still, overall, I enjoyed the episode quite a bit.

Salt - Liked it. I figured it out pretty quickly, but that didn't stop me from enjoying about 90% of it.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - Liked it a lot. Action scenes made it out to be Assassin's Creed the movie. I am more than okay with that. Also figured out the plot, including the true villain within moments of the adult scenes.

Karate Kid - The new one. There is a difference between an homage to the original and one that duplicates the final fight scene to the letter. Didn't really like it, but didn't really hate it either.

Resident Evil 4 - Liked it overall. Lots of room to make fun of as we (my kids, best friend and I) watched it.

Tron Legacy - Liked it, but not as much as I hoped I would. Nice touch with Billy Bad Bot at the end, changing from red to blue.

Daybreakers - Could have been good. Maybe I am burned out on the vampire theme, but mostly it was just too many stories wrapped into too short of time span. Would have made an excellent Showtime or HBO original series. Too much gore though. Not sure why the vamps exploded from heart shots since it was just a virus. Oh well.

Angel - Seasons 1-4, working on 5. Mostly like. Hated that pregnancy took a central role in two seasons. Hated that both produced offspring that went on to be evil. Does Joss Whedon have some fear of pregnant women or infants? Makes me wonder. So far, season 5 is shaping up to potentially be the best season yet. Liking the interaction between Spike and Angel now that both of them are good guys with souls. Mind you, the previous flashback scenes did not give much info.

Doctor Who series one with William Hartnell as the Doctor. It's interesting from a cultural perspective because many of our basic assumptions have changed over the intervening years.

Women are frail creatures with only a tenuous grasp of reality. Examples:

1. They will scream whenever they see something they have never seen before
  2. If something they have seen before goes missing, they will scream and faint.
  3. They are sensitive creatures and must be protected from the truth at all times, especially if the truth is unpleasant.

Despite (really, because of) the archaic attitudes, I am vastly amused. Also, the following video makes more sense now that i've seen the First Doctor in action.

The Tourist - Mildly liked it. Not much for the romantic style movie. I would have preferred a little more action. Still, not too bad as far as stories go. I got the twist wrong on this one.

I thought that there was no "Alexander Pearce." I thought that Eliza was the actual thief and that "Alexander Pearce" was a fictional character, possibly even another dupe that was paid to go into some form of remote retirement. Sucks to be wrong.

Always good to see Timothy Dalton getting paid. I really like his role as Volkov on Chuck.

Doctor Who series one with William Hartnell as the Doctor.

Out of interest, and departing from your main & very valid point, I wonder if you had the same response I did to the character of the Doctor. It was almost the case in those early episodes that the main characters were Ian and Barbara, and the Doctor was much more a figure of mystery for them to unravel rather than the current iteration where the Doctor is the hero. In fact in those earlier episodes he was almost a troublesome influence or obstacle - being grumpy, contrary and getting the other characters into trouble (eg when he sabotages the TARDIS in a petulant move to force the others to go exploring the city that intrigues him... despite the danger).