What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Tangled. Gonna have to buy that one. It was a-frickin-dorable.

Yeah, Maximus is one serious Heroic Character! The rest was pretty good too. Though I must have a different brand of frying pan, the handle is too short for best use. ;)

Yeah' date=' Maximus is one serious Heroic Character! The rest was pretty good too. Though I must have a different brand of frying pan, the handle is too short for best use. ;)[/quote']

coincidentally, my mom once clobbered a burglar with a frying pan

When I went to the screening of Timbers-Sounders at the Bagdad Theater-Pub (sponsored by the Timbers Army) they filled the time before the match by showing an NASL playoff game between the old Timbers and Sounders from 1975, Portland's first year in professional soccer.

It was hilarious. More so from the shocking incompetence of the broadcast crew (based at Seattle's KOMO-TV) and the much less evolved style of play in those days. Every so often the station would break away from the action in the middle of the game, with no warning, to air a block of commercials. And the commercials! Weird ads for things like Olympia and Rainier beers, Blue Bell potato chips, Pay Less Drugs (and rival Pay 'N Save) -- a lot of which don't exist anymore. The most amazing thing about the telecast is that someone was able to find it -- I had no idea anyone would have kept an archive copy.

It was also obvious that the broadcasters knew absolutely nothing about the sport they were covering....

Neil Gaiman reveals power of writing Doctor Who

The fantasy author Neil Gaiman has spoken of the divine power he felt while writing his TV episode of Doctor Who.

The author of Stardust and Coraline has already submitted his story, which is due to air in 2011.

"I don't know what it's like to be God - obviously," Gaiman told the BBC.

"Until that very first moment when you get to sit down and type the words in your script: INTERIOR. TARDIS."

more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10146657

Green Hornet: It was a fun movie, but not really a superhero flick.

I got that DVD for my birthday. It was much more entertaining than I thought it would be, and even made a half hearted stab at some depth.

The only thing that really weakened it wasn't the goofiness, or the slow mo intro to Kato, or even the Green hornet's near universal incompetence...

It was how Britt was such an unbelievable jackass to Kato about 2/3rd the way through. Seriously, that went over the top from goofy or fun, to just making him look mean. It was almost TOO much for me to get over.

It was how Britt was such an unbelievable jackass to Kato about 2/3rd the way through. Seriously' date=' that went over the top from goofy or fun, to just making him look mean. It was almost TOO much for me to get over.

[/quote']

Me too. Kept it from being a much better movie, in fact.

I've been enjoying Greg the Bunny. I regret there were only 13 episodes before the series tanked. I guess I was the only fan.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I

For the first time ever, I fell asleep while watching a Harry Potter movie. I did end up seeing a great deal of the movie, but I was really thinking that I could have edited about 30-45 minutes of the tedium out and probably trimmed it enough to fit it in one release.

Bones. All six seasons.

For character interaction and the whole procedural crime angle, it is hard to beat this show. The creative staff do not really know how to handle a long-term bad guy. So far they had three chances and each of them never left me with the satisfying "epic" villain feel. The episode Bullet in the Brain was a highlight of the show. I won't spoiler it, but I was wondering how they got that on prime time TV. My how the world has changed.

Several episodes of the Flash TV series. There was a lot of anachronistic goings-on (rather like with Batman TAS). Lots of interesting cars, with Citroen DS-19s in frequent evidence. I also recall the first-generation Ford Tauruses (Taurii?) seeming very swoopy to me when the series was new. Now, not so much.