What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Is there anything in particular wrong with it, or is it just generally a bad movie?

Just kind of boring and not very visually interesting for a Burton movie. For the record, it's not really a comedy so much as a weird drama with occasional comedic touches; almost all the funny bits were in the trailers.

My wife and I have been watching a lot of Netflix together lately. Just finished Life, a short lived TV series (1 1/2 seasons) kind of a comedy police drama. The main character is an LAPD officer wrongly accused of murder. After 12 years in prison part of his settlement against the LAPD was being re-instated as a police detective. A little police drama, a little X files (tracking down the ones who framed him) and a little comedy largely revolving around his new found zest for freedom and adjusting to modern technology. It was a fun series, unfortunately cut short due to US TV exectutives not knowing a good show when it bites them on the bum.

Currently watching Black Books, an english series about a crabby book store owner, his cheerful ex accountant employee (who drive the book shop owner bonkers) and the quirky neighboring shop owner. Typical silly British humor so fun for us.

The Call of Cthulhu, a modern movie (2005) based on the HP Lovecraft story. The movie is done in the style of a 1920s silent film. It was actually a pretty effective way to tell the story and in my opinion is one of the better HP Lovecraft inspired movies.

I've also watched a ton of documentaries. Reel Injun, A History of Native Americans in cinema. Interesting and amusing, the film maker and many of the Native film makers have a good sense of humor which keeps it light hearted, even when it goes into somewhat dark places.

The People vs George Lucas, a mostly light hearted look at Star Wars, George Lucas, the fans and the nerd rage felt by some against his re-imaging of the SW universe.

I have become particularly interested in food production and "green power" in the US so have watched several related documentaries.

Food Inc, focusses on big agro business and how for the last 40 years the USDA and Congress have written policies that have favored big business, cheap fast food and hurt the small family farmers. Very well done if you have an interest in the subject.

Food Fight, the efforts of a Berkeley restraunt owner to buy local, which inadvertendly led to a resurgeance of local farmers markets nation wide. Informative and amusing as many of those involved have a great sense of humor.

Carbon Nation, a realistic look at power generation and successful programs to move to renewable energy. Very much focuses on practical programs that have been successful for economic reasons (saving people money) rather than pie in the sky save the earth attempts.

Kingdom; bbc show starting Stephen Fry as Peter Kingdom a solicitor who works in a quirky town trying to deal with the mysterious disappearance of his brother Simon and the draining experience of his oft institutionalized sister.

It's fun. Only saw the first two episodes so far.

We saw the first episode of that. It looks promising, but after Life we were more in a zany humor mood so have been watching Black Books instead. We will probably return to Kingdom once we finish up the other series.

Guest Celt

I picked up s1 of Life a couple of years ago. Thought it was pretty damn good. Haven't been able to find s2 on DVD at all lately.

Is this the TV series with Damien Lewis? If so, it's available on Netflix On Demand and Hulu (free section).

Ding ! Ding ! We have a winner. Jonathan Frid does a nice line in politeness and menace.

The two Jonathans, Frid and Harris, used to do panels together at Atlanta Fantasy Fair convention every year. Two more gracious and talented men I have never met.

Incidentally, Dan Curtis was also responsible for the epic mini-series The Winds of War and its sequel War and Remembrance. The story of the Second World War as told through the eyes of the family of an American naval officer/diplomat (played by Robert Mitchum).

Is this the TV series with Damien Lewis? If so' date=' it's available on [strike']Netflix On Demand and[/strike] Hulu (free section).

Yeah. I picked it up over the summer between seasons. It was only $15. Which surprised me. I can only assume it was so cheap to try to generate interest in the second season.

Guest Celt

Real Steel

An okay movie where the parts were greater than the sum. All the actors filled their roles well, cinematography was fine, robot fights were good. It just seemed that it kept changing direction, wanting to be too many things, a father/son bonding story, a coming of age story, a boy and his robot story, an underdog athlete comeback story and so on, and none of them ever gelled. It was like making a stew/soup by pouring a bunched of canned vegetables and meat you like, cooking it up and it just being blah. It's not bad, it's not great, but you're not going to bring it to pot-luck night.

The Champion's League final -- Chelsea FC vs. Bayern München. Both teams played all out' date=' and there was some very beautiful football.[/quote']

Heh, brain translated that into "Chelsea FC vs Baron Münchhausen" :P