What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

LOL

No, I don't think I have.

here you go

yes but GoT is not British. it is an American cable show. 

The half season of 13 episodes at 45 min each work out to be 585 mins

The 10 episodes of GoT at 60 mins each are 600 mins. 

So the cable show has a longer running time. 

Edit: for comparison the Lord of the Rings extended Blu-ray edition is 726 mins

Seasons of American shows tend to be around 22 episodes a year. I have quite a few box sets of American TV mainstream so that is the norm. Some years they might do more from 23 to 25. For example Charlie's Angels in its fourth year had 25 episodes. But HBO does not tend to do 20 episodes, they tend to do 10. Boardwalk Empire is one example. But the Sopranos did 22 episodes in its last season only. 

I believe Tribble's largely right here. HBO tends to follow the UK and Japanese models where seasons are more likely to be 13 episodes (or even six, depending). If memory serves, the last Sopranos season was split up over the course of the year.

Anyways, the last thing I saw was Columbo Season 5 on DVD. Six movies, including an excellent one featuring Janet Leigh and a rather weird one directed by Patrick McGoohan. 

The Web of Fear. Dr Who with Patrick Troughton as the Doctor. The second appearance of the Yeti and the Great Intelligence. An important milestone as it introduced Lethbridge Stewart at this time a Colonel. Also had John Levine who went on to play Sgt Benton as one of the Yeti. Recovered last year as it was one of the great missing stories, they now have 5 out of 6 episodes.

Is the character of Fu Manchu so inherently racist that he can't be re-imagined for the 21st Century in a more palatable form? It's hard not to see someone of his time having issues with the West, whose treatment of China in Rohmer's time was abominable especially in the aftermath of the 1900 rebellion.

As it is no Chinese or Asian actor would even imagine playing Fu Manchu, and any Caucasian actor cast in the part is going to be even more reviled than Johnny Depp's Tonto was.

Right now I am in the middle of the Joan Hickson version of the Miss Marple story A Murder is Announced. Hickson was, of course, brilliant as the elderly busybody whose lifetime of experience in the English countryside had enabled her to "plumb the depths of human depravity". But the movie (made for the BBC) reminded me just how good a writer Agatha Christie was.

Not so much for the puzzles, but because of her social observation. It's especially evident in one of her most famous novels, the Poirot story The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, in which she caused controversy by breaking what was then one of the cardinal rules of the mystery genre by making the narrator completely unreliable. But there was a lot of satire, very pointed satire at that, in that and many of her other novels. She always was playing around with the rules of the genre (the Poirot-Hastings relationship, for example, is a satirical inversion of the Holmes-Watson dynamic). That incision may be a reason that Christie's body of work has endured when so many others writing in her field are forgotten.

what did you think? 

I liked it.  I have to admit that early Thor (pre-85ish) was always one of my favs. 

Even with changes I like what they are doing with Thor in the movies.  I really liked the glimpse into event that occurred in Asgard past and that the Earth is not the center of things. 

All in all I liked it.  The movie had all the ingredients to be great.

But,

I can't put my finger on it and have to admit that as much as I liked it, there is a definite feeling that something just didn't quite make it.    Like the movie just fell short of the goal. 

But even with that, it was miles better than most of the stuff inflicted on people these days....

I liked it.  I have to admit that early Thor (pre-85ish) was always one of my favs. 

Even with changes I like what they are doing with Thor in the movies.  I really liked the glimpse into event that occurred in Asgard past and that the Earth is not the center of things. 

All in all I liked it.  The movie had all the ingredients to be great.

But,

I can't put my finger on it and have to admit that as much as I liked it, there is a definite feeling that something just didn't quite make it.    Like the movie just fell short of the goal. 

But even with that, it was miles better than most of the stuff inflicted on people these days....

I'll have to watch it again soon, and we can compare. :)