What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Is the character of Fu Manchu so inherently racist that he can't be re-imagined for the 21st Century in a more palatable form? It's hard not to see someone of his time having issues with the West, whose treatment of China in Rohmer's time was abominable especially in the aftermath of the 1900 rebellion.

Bear in mind that after the first two films Run Run Shaw made the rest and he seemed to have no problem with it. The films reduce the racism of the books and Fu Manchu is a strong figure bent on world domination. The Chinese are not shown as weak but an exceptional individual is portrayed as evil. Sir Christopher Lee has commented on the whole thing as has Tsai Chin who played Lin Tang. Both characters are played as strong, intelligent and have no noticeable weaknesses such as drug addiction. Fu Manchu is also mobile so he is not confined to one country nor are his followers all Chinese. Thus I would say that the films can be enjoyed and pirated for Pulp Action games. 

Arrow continues to be an excellent show. Truth to tell, I'm enjoying it more than I am Agents of Shield. One of my major complaints, the character of Laurel (Who has been acting like a brat even not counting her addiction problems) is apparently finally being salvaged or at least sidelined so she won't annoy me as much. I'm not the biggest Deathstroke fan, in fact, I really find the character overused in the comics, but this take on Slade Wilson has been excellent.

On the other hand, How I met your mother is about to piss me off.

All indications seem to be that 'the mother' is dying, or has cancer, or something.

I don't know what twit decided to add 'drama' to Ted's already overlong quest for a love that lasts, but I'd like to kick them in the shins . I'm seriously tempted to just read spoilers on line first, and if my suspicions are confirmed I may never bother to watch it.

Bear in mind that after the first two films Run Run Shaw made the rest and he seemed to have no problem with it. The films reduce the racism of the books and Fu Manchu is a strong figure bent on world domination. The Chinese are not shown as weak but an exceptional individual is portrayed as evil. Sir Christopher Lee has commented on the whole thing as has Tsai Chin who played Lin Tang. Both characters are played as strong, intelligent and have no noticeable weaknesses such as drug addiction. Fu Manchu is also mobile so he is not confined to one country nor are his followers all Chinese. Thus I would say that the films can be enjoyed and pirated for Pulp Action games. 

There are a lot of old shows and magazines/pulp that I think people are too quick to slap the 'racist' label on.  Racism is a problem and will be as long as there are humans, but there is an active difference between the 'ignoring reality to impose a belief' that is racism and 'abiding by a world view that you have been taught is true'.  

I love running pulp of all kinds, it's my favorite genre, but I also run a 'suspended belief world'.  While I have support NPC's that are 100% stereotype, NAZI's, The Yellow Peril, Gun Moll's, etc.  All PC's and major NPC's are run totally color/sex blind in my 1936ish world.  No one bats an eye at a Captain Carter (I love that character in the movie).   I actually use it to my advantage in game.   In one adventure the Heroes were eating in the crowded dining car and were joined by an elegant Chinese Woman that they never suspected was really the nefarious Fu Manchu!  It was a lot of fun.

My point I guess is that you can beat yourself up about the past and never see some real gems, or you can realize that the majority of the people in the period were not evil, just uninformed.  Like cigarettes.  In the 20's and 30's they are a fixture and it is stupid to not show people smoking.  Back then there wasn't an evil conspiracy because people didn't know the drawbacks, only the perceived benefits. 

All in all there is are a LOT of old serials and movies that can be enjoyed and pirated for RPG's.  You just have to be able to shift mental gears and realize that the reality we know to be true now, was in many cases never even thought of when they made those shows.   In many cases a local newspaper and radio station was there only window into the world further away than 20 miles. 

I re-watched The Core the other night.  I didn't remember much about it, other than that the science in the movie is HORRIBLE. But then I saw the big briefing scene where the Aaron Eckhart character effectively tells everyone, including the audience, "This could not possibly happen, and if it did, there's absolutely nothing we could do about it. Everything you're about to see in this movie, from this moment on, is absolutely and totally ludicrous, unquestionably insane, and utterly impossible." It's like he's lampshading it for the viewers.

Having seen that, I was able to enjoy the movie.

Finally saw Particle Fever last night. Kind of required viewing for me. I was strongly reminded of some aspects of the early history of Hubble Space Telescope (with which I am more familiar). I suspect that since most of the time most of the people on camera are physicists, not many people will watch this one.

MLB.tv is frustrating me today. Apparently they are in a rework at this particular moment prior to the 2014 regular season starting next week -- a reboot that guys their Xbox 360 support (presumably at Microsoft's behest) and keeps me from watching on my PCs too. Radio still works for live sprint training but not for archive.

What is baseball's service selling -- baseballs or next-gen consoles?