What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Just watched  Woola of Mars by rental. 

i) I get that it's hard to find the magic place between "princess" and "waif fu," and that the Princess of Mars title was taken. By Traci Lords, of all people. But Dejah Thoris and Hermione? Are different people.

ii) I'm sure that they had PTSD in the Civil War, and that people as young as Taylor Kitsch suffered from it. But that doesn't mean that Kitsch can carry it off.

iii) The plot? Something about White Martians? Like environmental degradation? Which is related to war? So they don't do anything? Yeah. Meanwhile, in Chinatown, Mr. Roper realises that Ross slept with his cowboy partner who was a Concentration Camp mute pianist who was dead all along!  No, wait. That last sentence was a CGI-induced hallucination, and it still makes more sense than the actual plot.

iv) Costumes.If you're going to make Kitsch look scrawny in some scenes, you need to decide that this movie is for tweens and make it for tweens

v)  Sixty-eleven hours might or might not be long enough for a movie that has one plot all the way through, but by the time you're up to three, you have to be thinking about the whole "budget" thing.

vi) Speaking of gigantic numbers, once your budget is north of 200 million Kronkheits, think about using two different outdoor settings. Or go crazy! Three, even! (Maybe cut the Avatar ​ending that isn't actually an ending? The movie can probably get by with two.) 

Watched Secret ID. Donnie Yen is undercover and is asked to investigate a murder from his bosses on both sides of the law. The DVD I got was missing a section in the middle so a certain point Donnie's character and one of the villains might have been going after someone but it jumped to a car chase and fist fight where the villain knew who Donnie was.

Watched 2 Guns with Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg. Bobby and the Stig decide to rob a drug lord's bank and take his money. Things go downhill from there until a showdown between them and everyone else.

CES 

Watched Three Days to Kill. Kevin Costner is a CIA agent retired because he is going to die being roped in to hunt down an arms dealer while dealing with his daughter after not seeing her for five years. In one scene he threatens to kill an Italian accountant if he doesnt have a spaghetti sauce recipe so his daughter could cook dinner.

CES

Watched The Trojan Women (1971) today. Euripides' Greek tragedy filmed with Katherine Hepburn & Vanessa Redgrave. I dare say, one of the oldest anti-war drama/songs/messages. The film is basically the play being staged on location with cameras rolling.

The plot is basically what happens to "The Trojan Women" after the fall of Troy as a result of the Trojan War. The eponymous women are:

Hecuba, Queen of Troy and wife to King Priam, sold into slavery to Odysseus.

Cassandra, Hecuba & Priam's daughter, princess of Troy and perhaps also priestess of Apollo. Gifted by Apollo with prophetic truth however later cursed by Apollo that no one will believe her words (prophecies), ie they think she has madness. Cassandra's fate is to be Agamemnon's slave & concubine.

Andromache, wife of Hector, eldest son of King Priam & Queen Hecuba, dead due to events in the Trojan War, who learns that her son and heir to the kingdom is to be killed to extinguish the royal line. Her fate is to be the concubine of Achilles' son Neoptolemus.

Helen of Troy's fate is also part of the play; she who caused the Trojan War to begin with.

Rating: 6.5-7 out of 10.

Quotes:

Cassandra: If God still lives, my marriage will be bloodier than Helen's.

Cassandra: [to Hecuba] I know that I am mad, but mother dearest, now, for this one time, I do not rave.

I had somehow avoided most of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" during its main run, so I'm starting to watch the series from the beginning. I'm about 5 episodes in on Netflix, and I'm enjoying it.

Watched "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2" last night on Netflix. It loses some of the charm of the original.

Watched the first disc of "Greatest American Hero" last week, after Netflix replaced a dodgy disc. I saw them in first run, and they hold up okay for being over 30 years old now.

Two Formula 1 docs.

Hunt vs Lauda and the great 1976 season which saw Lauda crash and survive a burning car. He returned to racing and scored a 4th place at Monza 5 weeks later. Hunt won the championship by one point by finishing third after Lauda quit after one lap as he felt the conditions were too dangerous to race.

To the Limit looks at the creation of the Formula 1 and how dangerous it was and how little there was by way of safety barriers, track marshals and medical help. Max Mosely come out of the documentary well and you also find out how Benie Ecclestone made his money. There are interviews with drivers from the 60s up and their relations including Damon Hill, Nigel Mansell, Nicky Lauda, Emerson Fittapaldi, Jacky Ickx, Michael Schumaker and Sir Jackie Stewart. It is really good.

Didn't Ralph Byrd play Tracy in some movies or serials. I seem to remember one with Boris Karloff as a killer on the loose.

CES 

That would be this movie:

I've been watching the French Open, although it means staying up at night because of the time zone difference.

Didn't Ralph Byrd play Tracy in some movies or serials. I seem to remember one with Boris Karloff as a killer on the loose.

CES 

Yep, he did several Dick Tracy serials, then there was a movie with a different actor as Tracy, and it bombed, so the producers hired Mr. Byrd for the remaining movies.  When a Dick Tracy TV series was mooted, Ralph Byrd was a must-have for the role.