What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

The Usual Suspects plus the extras DVD. Even if you know the story it is still an absorbing tale.

Blade Runner original US cut. But it still leaves unanswered what happened to the other replicant ? And it is sad Joanna Cassidy getting shot in the back although you can tell it is the stunt woman going through the glass windows although the close ups of Zhora getting hit by bullets are Joanna.

The Usual Suspects plus the extras DVD. Even if you know the story it is still an absorbing tale.

Blade Runner original US cut. But it still leaves unanswered what happened to the other replicant ? And it is sad Joanna Cassidy getting shot in the back although you can tell it is the stunt woman going through the glass windows although the close ups of Zhora getting hit by bullets are Joanna.

If I may ask, which other replicant? 5 jumped ship. One was killed before the movie started. Decker got Zhora and Priss. Roy died in the rain at the end. Rachel killed Leon. If you are speaking of Rachel, then I believe the point was to leave it unanswered as her and Decker left together. I have also heard many people say the plan was that Decker is also a replicant, but I find it hard to buy. Giant fan of the movie, the original with the voice over, not the director's cut.

That new Musketeers show on BBC America. Not great, but not awful. Waiting to see if the 2nd installment is better than the 1st.

Ran across a little of that.  Musketeers seemed a little older than I'm used to, but production values were pretty good at least.

Managed to catch most of Django Unchained on cable over a couple of nights.  Definitely a Tarantino film, but less Tarantino than some.

If I may ask, which other replicant? 5 jumped ship. One was killed before the movie started. Decker got Zhora and Priss. Roy died in the rain at the end. Rachel killed Leon. If you are speaking of Rachel, then I believe the point was to leave it unanswered as her and Decker left together. I have also heard many people say the plan was that Decker is also a replicant, but I find it hard to buy. Giant fan of the movie, the original with the voice over, not the director's cut.

Check the dialogue from the captain when he talks to Dekkard. 6 Replicants jump ship. 3 male, 3 female. One is killed trying t break into the Tyrell building. The other four are listed as Leon, Zhora, Pris and Roy. What happened to the other one ? This is why some of the fans believe that Dekkard is a Replicant.

The five-replicants thing is a studio oversight--there was another replicant cast but her scenes were written out.  In some versions of the movie "five" is sloppily overdubbed to "four".

Deckard, though,

is certainly a replicant, but isn't one of the escapees as he clearly has preexisting relationships with the cops and the dude at the noodle stand.

Deckard, though,

...was the victim of a silly retcon that made the story worse. Harrison Ford just can't get a break when it comes to this.

I can live without the "the dame had legs that wouldn't end" narration and the happy end, though.

I just watched the '97 version of 12 Angry Men. Good acting, but it felt a bit futile in the end, as it didn't really add anything to the excellent original. Although I'm not sure why bothers me, as this would be perfectly okay in a play, so why not in a (TV) movie?

Which retcon? Regarding Blade Runner:

Well, the whole "Deckard is a replicant" deal felt like it was added to the story as an afterthought. No really conclusive "evidence" in the movie for it. The book didn't have it, either, although that's probably the least of the differences. And most importantly: I think it makes the whole story worse. In the end, Deckard kills a lot of replicants but he himself gets spared by Roy. Truly "more human than human". No need for a M. Night Shamalamadingdong twist. Wouldn't surprise me if someone mentioned that to Ridley Scott who thought this exceedingly clever. As Prometheus showed, he belongs to the directors who shouldn't revisit things too much.

The other Ford retcon I was referring to is the fudged DEX roll in the 1st segment of the cantina shootout, of course.

PS: Also, which "director's cut"? I think there are three of those by now.

Saw Lucy and the new Hercules movie (with Dwayne Johnson).

Lucy was to much lawnmower man for me. I never felt any real tension or worry for her surviving, due to how quickly her powers escalated.

I liked the Hercules movie and the take on the story of Hercules. I thought the people in it were good and they did a good job of pulling off the "is he the son of Zeus or isn't he?" Most times not, but every once in a while, he would pull off something superhumanly strong.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw two movies with Bro D., my brother from the same mother. Pacific Rim -- what a turkey! I imagine they wrote a movie with the goal Let's Cram As Many Cliches In It As Humanly Possible in mind. We rated it 1+ and 2- out of 5.

Man Of Steel was way better, particularly the first half. A 3+ from us both.

Lucy was to much lawnmower man for me. I never felt any real tension or worry for her surviving, due to how quickly her powers escalated.

Sounds like strong wish-fulfillment on the part of the script writer. I can see where this would appeal to people.

All I know about that one is that it revives the tired and thoroughly debunked cliche about humans using only 10% of their brains at any given time. That the cliche is still believed by almost everybody is a very bad sign for how (or even whether) we team ordinary people about science.

All I know about that one is that it revives the tired and thoroughly debunked cliche about humans using only 10% of their brains at any given time. That the cliche is still believed by almost everybody is a very bad sign for how (or even whether) we team teach ordinary people about science.

There I fixed it for you.

But yeah, I agree about the shaky science and lack of research.