What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

A couple of first-season episodes of Mannix.  Drastically different from the rest of the series, as they retooled it due to low ratings.  First season, Joe Mannix works for Intertec, a modern detective agency that's fully computerized and he's their only maverick.  Second season on, he works alone and has a black secretary.

Was watching the movie Dune on tv, made it about 25 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore. 

Tossed in my copy of the old SciFi channel miniseries Dune.  Really enjoyed it. 

But now I wonder why SciFi can't seem to produce good science fiction consistently anymore....

Was watching the movie Dune on tv, made it about 25 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore. 

Tossed in my copy of the old SciFi channel miniseries Dune.  Really enjoyed it. 

But now I wonder why SciFi can't seem to produce good science fiction consistently anymore....

Because the suits are not fans of the genre, but merely schmucks that look at what the popular fad is today.

I managed to work Don Camillo to the top of my Netflix queue after it was mentioned in other threads. Well worth seeing.

Don Camillo is a priest in a rural town in postwar Italy. The town has elected a Communist City Council and Mayor -- Peppone, a strong-willed pit bull of a man who is devoted to his ideology. Camillo is as stubborn and strong as a raging bull and butts heads with Peppone at every turn. Their greatest fear is that someone (especially themselves) will realize that deep down, they are the best of friends...

It is a period in history few Americans know much about, of which the movie is a fascinating snapshot. It is also at the same time very funny and at times moving. The plot, such as it is, revolves around Peppone's plan to build an extravagant "cultural center" in the middle of town, Camillo's plan to build a city park, two star-crossed lovers on opposite sides of the violent political divide, and the constant struggle of the Reds and Blacks ("reactionaries" -- Fascism is gone and not lamented, but the recent abolition of the monarchy sticks in people's craws) constantly struggling to one-up each other.

Don Camillo is nobody's model of patience and humility. He has the habit of getting into brawls, confronting intruders in his church with automatic weapons, and otherwise behaving in a very non-peaceable manner. His one confidant is Jesus himself, who speaks to him via the large crucifix above the altar to remind him of the ideals he represents.

If you don't mind black-and-white and subtitles (the movie is in Italian, though French comic actor Fernandel plays the priest) it's well worth seeing.

Dr Who: Resurrection of the Daleks. Peter Davison has a run in with the Daleks and their creator Davros. guests include Maurice Colbourne as Lytton, Rula Lenska as a doctor on the prison housing Davros, Don Henly as an army colonel and who was in the original Straw Dogs, Rodney Bewes who was in Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads ? and Chloe Ashcroft who was often in Play School. This is the last story to feature Tegan.

Wrestlemania 30. The shock on people's faces as Lesner wins. And Daniel Bryan's win is really good. The Ultimate Warrior's speech at the Hall of Fame is poignant for being one of the last things he did. But he acknowledged that he could be difficult. And there was the fact that he got caught out by the YES movement when he tried to say that he was not the legend and said No, No, No. He acknowledged the crowd with that.

The start of the show was also good for Hulk's speech being interrupted by Austin and The Rock who both took him up on the fact that he had said Silver Dome and not Super Dome. Hogan acknowledged that himself that he had made an error.

My new roommate is a Guy Ritchie fan so we recently watched "Snatch" and "RocknRolla".  

"Go" which feels a bit like an American decided to take a rejected Guy Ritchie script and turn it into a teen movie.  Had some pretty funny moments, but overall nothing spectacular.

"Monsters vs Aliens" which isn't one of Dreamworks' best, but is better than I remembered and has a pretty impressive cast.