What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Saw an episode of CSI that I had not seen as the reception on the TV has been dire.

They used a death from Greek history to kill one person. So you have Laurence Fishbourne quoting Aeschylus ans then working out that how the playwright died was how this other person was killed.

Then saw a powerful one of Special Victims Unit with Lou Diamond Phillips as the bad guy. Really strong stuff.

M.A.N.T.I.S and The Starlost. I was feeling a little under the weather, so I did two days on the couch with videos.

Both of these shows show the limitations of TV science fiction before they got good fairly good at low-cost CGI.

Starlost had a great concept, sort of a Metamorphosis Alpha to Omega storyline. The whole thing takes place on a massive generational ship, but most of the inhabitants don't know that. The lead characters are trying to save the ship from a collision with a star, only no one remembers how to fly the damn thing. The original concept was Harlan Ellison's, but he was so disappointed by the final product that he took his name off, using his Cordwainer Bird pseudonym.

Being made in 1973, on what looks to be a really tight budget,the whole thing looks very cheesy to modern eyes. It is shot on video, using primitive models and early blue screen techniques. The sets have almost a Star Trek: The Original Series vibe, as do the costumes.

You could see the potential all over the place, but budget issues and executive meddling got in the way. It's worth a look as long as you take it for what it is. If your teeth itch when you watch those clunky old Dr, Who and Blake's Seven episodes, skip it. There is some interesting writing on display, and there are some high points sprinkled throughout. However, overall it is a failed effort. The good comes with a lot of groan-inspiring moments.

Hidden bonuses of Starlost: A very young-looking Walter Koening shows up in a couple of episodes, and almost every woman on the show seems to be hot and dressed in tight jumpsuits, go-go boots, or diaphanous shift dresses.

M.A.N.T.I.S is almost painful to watch only 15 or so years after it was made. Again, you have a pretty good concept: an African-American Batman. There is a nice internal consistency built into the concept. The hero is paralyzed by being shot during a thinly-disguised stand-in for the LA riots. He invents an exoskeleton that allows him to walk and also amplifies his strength and speed. He also has many Bat-gadgets, including paralysis darts. Sam Raimi was heavily involved, and you see some of his Darkman aesthetic in many of the scenes.

Watching it now, it screams 1990s. It's hard to believe that something can be dated after that short a time. A lot of the storylines are also unnecessarily silly, even for a TV superhero show. I know a lot of people like Sam Hamm, but I have never really liked his work that much. Especially after reading his Watchmen script. He was the writer of the pilot, which is basically a rip-off of the movie Blue Thunder. He was also a producer/creator.

As a Black man, I love the fact that they made an intelligent, capable African-American hero. Many of the supporting characters are also black or Latino. This show and Milestone comics were to me two great early, failed attempts at changing the complexion of genre fiction.

I liked M.A.N.T.I.S in concept, and I hope to one day run a Champions character based on him. I could not watch all of the episodes because of the sheer silliness of them. The special effects were based on rotoscoping and a lot of blue screen work. It's fascinating to see how CGI has taken over in just the time since 1994-1995 when the show was made.

Bonuses on M.A.N.T.I.S. : Gina Torres!! The faux-Batmobile, call the Chysalid, is actually kind of cool, considering the budget and technology they were working with.

I preferred Starlost to M.A.N.T.I.S despite the failings of the one and the merits of the other. I felt that I got my money's worth out of the rental. I think you can find M.A.N.T.I.S. episodes online. If you were curious, and knew how to find them, that's how I would go.

I watched the first 6 or so episodes of House. The first one was brilliant, being a double-length episode that reminds me very much of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Some great stuff there, with House discovering that he's not able to buck the system with impunity and that he needs to work with people, not treat people as things to toy with.

The later episodes aren't as brilliant, although the one with James Earl Jones as an African dictator is excellent as it sets up an even with long term consequences (

Chase changes the test results in order to murder said dictator

).

As in previous seasons, the medical mystery (IMO) takes a back seat to the interplay between the doctors.

I also watched the first disk of the Blade of the Immortal anime. I found it only so-so. The character designs are mostly spot-on... but they seem to be cramming a lot of events together (by using information from far later in the manga series) while the fight sequences really look awful once you've seen Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo. I don't think I'll get any more DVDs... but will continue to pick up the manga collections (I think I'm up to volume 20 or so...).

I watched the first 6 or so episodes of House. The first one was brilliant' date=' being a double-length episode that reminds me very much of [i']One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest[/i]. Some great stuff there, with House discovering that he's not able to buck the system with impunity and that he needs to work with people, not treat people as things to toy with.

The later episodes aren't as brilliant, although the one with James Earl Jones as an African dictator is excellent as it sets up an even with long term consequences (

Chase changes the test results in order to murder said dictator

).

As in previous seasons, the medical mystery (IMO) takes a back seat to the interplay between the doctors.

I also watched the first disk of the Blade of the Immortal anime. I found it only so-so. The character designs are mostly spot-on... but they seem to be cramming a lot of events together (by using information from far later in the manga series) while the fight sequences really look awful once you've seen Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo. I don't think I'll get any more DVDs... but will continue to pick up the manga collections (I think I'm up to volume 20 or so...).

Weird, are you my brother from another mother? I watched Blade of the Immortal the previous weekend (same impression, a manga about whipping ass and the animated fights were lame). Also caught up on House.

Weird' date=' are you my brother from another mother? I watched Blade of the Immortal the previous weekend (same impression, a manga about whipping ass and the animated fights were lame). Also caught up on House.[/quote']

Well, I didn't want to tell you, but....

Watched Friday night's Smallville episode (I TIVO it). Wondertwins (they weren't called that, exactly) Zan and Jayna try to help the red/blue blur but screw things up.

Last night I also watched "No Dog Left Behind".

A documentary about soldiers with very different and powerfully moving experiences who rescued dogs in Iraq, developed intense bonds, and managed, against nearly insurmountable odds, to arrange their safe passage to the United States.

My eyes leaked several times during the show, but I'm kind of a softy when it comes to "saving a dog" stories.

WARNING: MINOR SPOILERS IN THIS POST.

I managed to see 2012 Saturday, and it absolutely rocked (no geologic pun

intended).

From the time that John Cusack's character gets his family out of California

to just before the film's end, it's one Oscar Foxtrot Mike moment after another.

If I have one complaint about the film, it's that nothing unpleasant happened

to Oliver Platt's character (an absolute and certified toad with few -- if any --

redeeming qualities whatsoever).

Major Tom 2009 :angst:

"I feel the earth -- move -- under my feet..."

The Specials - a low budget superhero movie, about a group of fifth stringers (or less) superheroes. The world is obviously a mirror idea of what happens if Superheroes did exist: massive marketing!

The movie takes one day in the life, and isn't traditional superhero fair of fighting villains. These are just people with some powers, and man are they flawed people. It's actually a pretty good movie and a neat look at Superheroes when they aren't fighting villains. Especially when they're wallowing in a third-rate life.

I take it that this film predates NBC's Heroes?

Major tom 2009 :confused:

Predates by quite a bit yes. And unlike Heroes the average person is not only aware of superheroes, but they're costumed, and have marketing juggernauts. Part of the movie focus is on the release of Action Figures for the Specials superteam.

• 2 weeks later...

Things I have watched while working on the Powers section of HSMA:

Fearless, Final Fantasy: Advent Children, Fist of Legend, Hero, Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer, The Storm Riders, Tai Chi Master, The Good The Bad The Weird, Variable Geo.

Just finished watching House of D. A 2004 flick written and directed by David Duchovny and has Robin Williams as mentally handicapped janitor.

A surprisingly good movie with some real tear jerker moments.

Continuing along with the Surface TV series...so far it seems like an hour to an hour-and-a-half movie that was stretched out over a dozen episodes or so. Very very slow.

Saw the first season of 30Rock...and as much as I love Tina Fey (in an eye candy sort of way...don't judge me), I'm finding Alec Baldwin and the intern to be the only characters that are consistently good, but most of the time the show feels like an overly strained and extended SNL skit. Got the second and third seasons lined up in Netflix as the wife seems to have taken a liking to it.

Things I have watched while working on the Powers section of HSMA:

Fearless, Final Fantasy: Advent Children, Fist of Legend, Hero, Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer, The Storm Riders, Tai Chi Master, The Good The Bad The Weird, Variable Geo.

Tell me you wrote up "The Lion's Roar" from Kung Fu Hustle....

The Road

An excellent, if bleak, post-apocalyptic film. Not for the squeamish, as while there's not massive amounts of blood and the like... there are some rather horrific implications of what people are willing to do to survive.

The Man Show Season 1.

I remember liking it when it first came out, but I missed out on a lot upon losing cable (something that I appreciate in the long run)

I think that its humor generally holds up to this day (if it's your thing) and that it's more clever than it looks.

Furthermore, I find it funny to look back on how a lot of people took its rather obvious (to me anyways) low-brow satire at face value - many thought that the hosts (Adam Carolla and Jimmy Kimmel) were for real!

Its late 90's (season 1 is in '99-'00) atmosphere also brings me back to a more culturally, politically (amazingly), and personally innocent time to boot.

Still watching my DVD of Sanctuary (up to Episode 9),a 12 -episode sanctuary for monsters series starring Amanda Carter and Christopher Heyerdahl (both from Stargate SG-1,though only Amanda is mentioned as being from the series,probably because she has the starring role as 158 year old Dr. Helen Magnus ).Well-made (and written) series,it's a crying shame there are only 12 episodes.

Also (on Tuesday) I finally saw The Giant Claw on the website Classic Cinema Online.More laughable than scary,thanks to that ludicrous model.Also notable for being the first movie to mention antimatter.

I also saw The Vampire's Ghost on the website Monsterpiece Theater.A Republic movie,it benefits from having the original script being written by the noted SF writer Leigh Brackett.Despite the name it's really a combination of vampire movie and African safari movie,as the titular vampire has settled down as owner of an African gambling den.Also,unlike most '40's movies,the natives are at least as intelligent as the white main characters (in fact two of them are the first to find out who the vampire is).Well worth watching.

Yip Man, starring Donnie Yen. Apparently fairly accurate bio-pic of the life of Wing Chun Grandmaster Yip Man's life in the mid-to late 1930s. A sequel, Yip Man II, is planned for 2010 and will detail his life in Hong Kong -- including training Bruce Lee.

As martial arts films go... I give it * * * * * stars.