What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

The Dollhouse Season 1 DVD boxset. Eliza Dushku. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I'm sorry where was I ?

Whedon (and Dushku) brings in people from his other shows like Amy Acker (Fred from Angel) and Wash from Firefly.

The last episode Epitaph was really quite serious.

The previous ones with Alpha returning were the real surprise.

Fringe Season 1. This series could not really exist without the X-Files. Once that show established all sorts of outlandish stuff then it is much easier to believe in what Fringe posits. The cast is good; Joshua Jackson from Dawson's Creek, one of the cops from the Wire, one of the Band of Brothers and one of the lawyers from Boston Legal and Denethor. The central character is someone new which means their performance either saves or sinks it. I found I liked it.

And it has Spock in it which is a bonus.

Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds-Fairly bad sci-fi flick from 1970's Japan. Mostly bad due to terrible SPFX.

The Tenth Victim- Reasonable action/dramance from the 60's about the world of the near future where The Big Hunt(a legally sanctioned death duel between two human beings) is instituted to stem the tide of war and general violence. Basically a satire, but still a decent watch.

Werewolves: The Dark Survivors: A faux-documentary/crime story about what werewolves really are and how they got that way. Pretty good. In this case, lycanthropy is a mutant form of rabies that does not kill the host. Pretty good even though it turns out that the narrator dies before he's done narrating -- and continues doing so anyway. I'd give it three and a half bloodthirsty shapeshifters out of five.:D

Psycho Beach Party: A sendup of beach movies (of which I am overfond, despite my complete lack of surferhood), PBP appears to be fairly fond homage to both the beach party movies of Frankie and Annette and the Psycho Killer movies of (perhaps?) the same period. Very enjoyable, but some may find the inclusion of GLBT themes unsettling. It's all in good fun, however, and this movie is one of my favorite genres: horror/suspense with a sense of humor. I'd give it four and a half knife-wielding maniacs out of five.:thumbup:

Finally finished watching the Flash live-action series.

Well worth watching.Considering it was made in the early '90's,the special effects were fairly good-with the few exceptions being when they wanted to show the image on a computer,in which case the image was often monochrome or (if the character was using a visual scanner) highly pixelated.

I watched the Blob (the good one with Steve McQueen). It's kind of funny watching a monster movie with a Bossa-Nova score written by Burt Bacharach. The monster can't stand cold so in the end, they freeze it and drop it onto the Arctic ice shelf. I guess that seemed like a more permanent solution than it does today, huh?

Just watched the live action version of Cutie Honey. From the Cinema point of view, it was so-so. From the Gamer Movie point of view, it was entertaining.

There's not much nudity in this movie, which will disapoint fans of the Anime. However, there is lots of cheesecake.

Cutie Honey (the movie version) is a transforming heroine with (from a Champions pov) Shape Shift vs Sight & Touch; a small VPP or MP for transformation attacks, healing and gadgets (all of them trivial); regeneration; a fair number of super speed related tricks, including a Force Wall with the special effect of blocking, Flying Dodge, and Missile Deflection with Reflection; higher than normal but not Super strength and resistance to harm; life support; a fair Martial Arts package; and a big honking sword. Most of her powers count as Only in Hero ID, and there are a number of ways to prevent her from taking her Hero ID that come into play in the movie.

The Villain Group would fit right into one of my Champions games. A huge army of non-powered minions, four High Powered Super level lieutenants (and their rivalries), and a Big Bad with a poorly thought out plan for ascension to godhood. Throw in a Secret Base under a major landmark and city-smashing colatoral damage.

We even get to see two contacts (or lower powered PCs) and a DNPC in action.

This isn't a movie like Darkman or even Masked Rider the First that you can watch just for the story value, but it should give you something to lift for your next Supers game if anything will.

I remember watching that some time ago... I remmeber the final battle being kind of fun but the rest being... well' date=' kinda ho-hum.[/quote']

No argument. It's a pretty light weight film, even for a Japanese Superhero movie (and we're not talking tough competition in that category). I did however like the character design and the combats; felt very much like watching a live action comic book or anime, something that most Superhero films don't manage.

Brisco County Jr.

Cute, Lord Bowler pretty much saves the show from utter mediocrity. Only about 10 episodes in and still waiting for the "steampunk" so show up.

Yeah sure, some of the inventions are decidedly 20th century - but I lost a lot of respect for the show when "denim" was the "this hot new thing" in one episode, a for a show taking place in the 1890s.... denim had been around a good 15 years. So really, the inventions are gimmicks instead of interesting.

Meh. I'll finish out the series to see where it goes, but I can see why this got yanked off the air.

recently watched:

"Tinkerbell" Actually quite good. Tavish, age 3.5 loves it. Loreena McKennitt sings and narates!

"Tinkerbell-secret of the lost treasure" good, but not as good

"Robin Hood" starring Patrick Bergin and Uma Thurman. FAR better than Costners version! I ordered it through netflix, as I could not find it locally.

Finally got my hands on the first two episodes of John Adams, the HBO miniseries adaptation of the acclaimed biography of our Second President. The first episode, which covers the period from the Boston Massacre to the formation of the Continental Congress, was every bit as good as I have been told it was. One of the things I took from it was how hideous, painful and terrifying a "punishment" being tarred and feathered really is. I'm glad that isn't done anymore.

The second episode details Adams's adventures in Congress leading up to the Declaration of Independence. The thing that surprised me most is the quite compassionate way his rival John Dickinson (the man who refused to sign the Declaration. left Congress, and enlisted in the Continental Army when he saw that his conciliatory movement had been utterly defeated) was treated. His final speech was the last appeal of a defeated man who saw only disaster ahead in consequence. (Question for the history buffs: did John Dickinson survive the war and what happened to him afterward?) Of course John Adams himself is portrayed sympathetically, as he is the man from whose eyes we see his complicated, terrifying times. I also quite liked the portrayal of Franklin -- the old rascal whose wit and intellect clearly shone in this series.

Later this week I plan to dive into Mad Men, the acclaimed series about a sociopathic advertising man in the 1960s.

Aelita, Queen of Mars-Russian silent film made in 1924 about a revolt in the fictional civilization of Mars(a rather blunt metaphor for the Russian Revolution).

Monsters Vs Aliens- Fun fluff...though Kung Fu Panda was better. I still liked it though...being a big monster movie buff myself.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnasus

Interesting. Very Terry Gilliam in my opinion.

A Faustian plot, some good CGI and a possibly too imaginitive imagination.

Unfortunately there are many areas left open, and many things left unexplained. Moreso than the average Gaiman even :) There are a fair few similarities to Mirror Mask IMHO.

I do recommend it as a piece of art, not so sure it will be as big a hit to the average movie goer though as there's almost no exposition. It's a story about stories and wagers with the devil. Who is played really well by the mad scientist dude (Heller) of Mystery Men.

I recently watched "The Imaginarium Of Dr Parnassus" (I liked it but, as "Curufea" said, there were a lot of loose ends) and "The Time Traveller's Wife" Not bad but I thought that it would be more about the wife than it was. Has anyone read the original novel ? How close to it is the movie ?

Brisco County Jr.

Cute, Lord Bowler pretty much saves the show from utter mediocrity. Only about 10 episodes in and still waiting for the "steampunk" so show up.

Yeah sure, some of the inventions are decidedly 20th century - but I lost a lot of respect for the show when "denim" was the "this hot new thing" in one episode, a for a show taking place in the 1890s.... denim had been around a good 15 years. So really, the inventions are gimmicks instead of interesting.

Meh. I'll finish out the series to see where it goes, but I can see why this got yanked off the air.

Actually I think that denim had been around for more like 50 years ! Levi Strauss got his start making trousers for miners in the rush of '49.

Actually I think that denim had been around for more like 50 years ! Levi Strauss got his start making trousers for miners in the rush of '49.

Levi's patent for Denim is marked as May 20 1873 on their jeans. The precursor to Denim is a weave called Hatch, very similar but not as tough, that had been around since the, IIRC, the 1830s.

Either way, it would be just as likely that Brisco County Jr would have worn jeans than not in 1896 or whenever the show takes place. We've got the next few DVDs in front Nexflix, but I'm not as excited about watching them as I might be.