How many Dragon's teeth adorn YOUR shield?

SuperPheemy

I've used Dragons very rarely as direct influences in games. Usually they're mythological legends of the distant past, or reptilian equivilants of "Kaizer Soze", working so far behind the scene that they're invisible.

That's a long and indirect way of saying that in all my years of gaming I've run very few combats against (or with) Dragons. And never in Fantasy Hero.

So, what happened the last time any of your groups went up against the classic fire-breating winged fantasy dragon? How powerful were the heroes? Did they get their lifetime stock of Dragon-Jerky, or did your group need to start a new Star Hero game because their fantasy characters ended up Dragon Chow?

I'm looking for advice here. What do I need to avoid, what should I play to the hilt. My goal is to end up with one of those memorable encounters that the players talk about for years on end. I'm not looking to humble players with a supermonster, nor am I looking for my Dragon to become just another notch on the wizard's staff.

Re: How many Dragon's teeth adorn YOUR shield?

Wish I could help you there. I've only run dragons in D&D variants and well, that's just an exercise to see whether the combined parties HP can outlast the dragon's.

In HERO, I would worry about the sheer protection a dragon has versus mundane attacks. I think a group of heroes would have to either be so powerful as to be almost superheroic or have some sort of magical items that even the balance.

Hmmmn. Almost be a fun experiment to get a group of players up to that power level, just to test the idea.

We had a FH group that probably averaged around 220 points, including xp. There were about 8-10 of us, including significant NPCs . We met a dragon on a mountain pass. The GM used... tactics. The dragon wasn't stupid. We got our keisters handed to us. Luckily the dragon only wanted to capture one of us. Two of the characters got toasted, one mortally so (if not for some low grade healing magic).

I was playing two of the characters. Guess which ones got snatched and and crisped?

Keith "did you guess?" Curtis

In Via, dragons are enormously powerful. They're also quite intelligent, and able to converse. They're also not innately evil, and don't go out of their way to interact with people. So the PCs have found most dragons by tracking them down, then conversing with them. Only one started out annoyed with them, but they worked out a deal with him, and wound up getting a cursed gem put away where it couldn't hurt anyone, with his help.

In a D&D game I played in college, we wound up a dragon hunters. One PC had a life's mission to kill dragons, and so we wound up trekking cross-country to find and kill one. We did so only with many, many alliances, and most of our NPC helpers died. But we DID kill it. Subsequent dragon-killings were easier and easier, until we were taking on 5 at a time, in addition to a dragon god. But then, we were playing 3rd edition D&D, with a monk and a sorceror at level 20+. So it's unsurprising that later dragons were a cakewalk.

My/our characters have killed a few dragons over the years, but it was never a cakewalk - I think we talked/bargained with as many as we fought.

But one memorable session, my character (on his own) ran into a huge dragon. Being conveniently colour-coded like all dragons, I could tell it was evil, so naturally we set to. After a barrage of spells and counter barrage of breath weapon attacks, followed by sword versus fang, I was down to my last few HPs - but the dragon was also severely wounded and I knew it couldn't take much more damage. So we stood there for a minute huffing and panting and then said, more or less simultaneously "OK - let's call it a draw" and cautiously went our seperate ways. I actually recall that fight more vividly than the ones that ended with dead dragons.

cheers, Mark

Everything I've ever read for planning a Draconic encounter says that dragons are powerful and intelligent. They choose the terrain of their lairs with great foresight and use the area in a cunning manner. They're the type to prepare traps and security to their homes and have no qualms about hiring some lesser help to defend their troves (as long as the minions are suitably devoted and loyal). Dragons stay on top of what's going in and around their territory so they're usually the first to know if there are dragonslayers in the vicinity. Half the dragonslaying adventure is usually just getting to the dragon!

One of my favorite short stories from the old Dragon Magazine told a tale about a young warrior who gathers together the four greatest and most powerful heroes of the land in order to slay an ancient wyrm. The heroes, confident in themselves, march through the traps and trials of the dragon's mountain home until they reach the great treasure room of the dragon. At which point, the warrior reveals that he was the dragon in disguise and proceeds to slay them by surprise. It turns out that he lured them all there in order to eliminate potential rivals or enemies on his own terms.

My own game experiences with dragons have been varied. For example:

1. I ran a fantasy game in which one of the players accidentally bonded with a lesser dragon (called a Drake). This was played more for fun than anything else as the critter gradually grew more powerful but still had the mind of a golden retriever puppy.

2. I played in another fantasy game where the dragons were ancient and historical beings that hadn't been seen in centuries. In one adventure, my party was to recover a crystalline shard that was once part of the body of one of these great beasts. Later our employer promptly created a gigantic crystalline dragon (golem-like) that rampaged across the city. We had to enter the body of the dragon-thing (through its mouth) and destroy its heart from the inside. Suffice it to say that the dude is "on our list."

3. Recently, I ran a somewhat tongue-in-cheek D&D game where the final adversary was an ancient Black Dragon. The creature was canny and prepared for the party but the main issue was that there were so many characters that the party had something like ten concentrated attacks to the dragon's four or five. Finally the dragon was finished when the kobold henchman zapped it with a Rod of Wonder and turned it to stone (botched Fortitude save - what are the odds?)

4. A while back I played in a Forgotten Realms game where we ran into a young Black Dragon. We had three clerics in the party who kept healing people as soon as they were hurt. The rest of us kept wailing on the beast and the result was similar to above - where the dragon just couldn't keep up with all our attacks. Plus, in the dragon's defense, our DM hadn't read up on all the dragon's special powers and abilities. We jokingly named the dragon "Timmy" after a South Park character.

Bottom line: I think encounters with dragons should be memorable. That doesn't mean that the dragon should totally stomp the party - but the players should walk away (assuming they survived) from the battle with an attitude of "Whew! I can't believe we made it!"

My two florins.

Lonewalker

Personally, Im not fond of Dragons at all and don't use them often -- and they don't exist in my own settings.

However, many -- maybe even most -- other gamers do like them and thus I've run a few dragon encounters in my day. They were all in D&D settings, whether using some variation of D&D rules or Fantasy HERO rules.

Unless your intent is to just kill the party off or toss an underpowered dragon out for an easy victory just to appease the players and get them over the "gotta kill a dragon" stage, you basically have to tailor the encounter to your particular PC's.

Take into account the groups damage dealing and mitigation capabilities, as well as any special or wild card abilities, and design your dragon to operate in a challenging fashion, avoiding things that the PCs absolutely cannot deal with.

The Dragon's defenses should be sufficient to require above average damage / effect to hurt it, Damage Reduction should be used, and it should have enough (but not too much) CON, BODY, and STUN to be sufficiently rugged.

The Dragon's attacks should bounce off the most protected member of the PC's on average, but hurt them on above average. Lesser protected members of the group should feel even an average damage hit.

The Dragon's breath weapon (or equivalent) should really hurt the physically weakest member of the group on an above average roll and take a nice little chunk of STUN and BODY off of the mid-protected members of the group, and do no worse than put them to early negative BODY on max damage. You want the PC's to fear the attack, but not be completely wiped out by it. Unless it is an unusually weak attack the Dragon should not be able to just constantly use their breath weapon, it should be a chase attack, not the main assault.

Consider how much SPD your Dragon has. Personally, I prefer Dragons to be slower moving, but to use AoE breath and AoE bought for STR on their physical attacks to make up the difference.

If you want to give the PC's a fighting chance to dominate, then allow them to engage the Dragon on the ground from the get go.

If you want the fight to be truly challenging, don't have the Dragon get stuck into a toe to toe battle right off the bat unless its a wingless one. Dragons fly, and can attack on the wing, so be sure to do so. Its ok to make the PC's scramble on the ground, and try to ground the Dragon so that they can engage it. Tail swipes, snatching a PC and dropping them from high up, and wing drafts to blow up dirt clouds to sow confusion are all good tactics.

Ultimately fighting a Dragon in Fantasy HERO is very similar to fighting a tier one or two villain in Champions. The "Boss Fight" so to speak, and all the same considerations apply.

1. I ran a fantasy game in which one of the players accidentally bonded with a lesser dragon (called a Drake). This was played more for fun than anything else as the critter gradually grew more powerful but still had the mind of a golden retriever puppy.

I hated that f'ing thing. :mad::lol:

2. I played in another fantasy game where the dragons were ancient and historical beings that hadn't been seen in centuries. In one adventure, my party was to recover a crystalline shard that was once part of the body of one of these great beasts. Later our employer promptly created a gigantic crystalline dragon (golem-like) that rampaged across the city. We had to enter the body of the dragon-thing (through its mouth) and destroy its heart from the inside. Suffice it to say that the dude is "on our list."

That dude wasn't actively malicious. He was just extraordinarily careless with his experiments. :snicker:

3. Recently, I ran a somewhat tongue-in-cheek D&D game where the final adversary was an ancient Black Dragon. The creature was canny and prepared for the party but the main issue was that there were so many characters that the party had something like ten concentrated attacks to the dragon's four or five. Finally the dragon was finished when the kobold henchman zapped it with a Rod of Wonder and turned it to stone (botched Fortitude save - what are the odds?)

20:1 against. :lol:

4. A while back I played in a Forgotten Realms game where we ran into a young Black Dragon. We had three clerics in the party who kept healing people as soon as they were hurt. The rest of us kept wailing on the beast and the result was similar to above - where the dragon just couldn't keep up with all our attacks. Plus, in the dragon's defense, our DM hadn't read up on all the dragon's special powers and abilities. We jokingly named the dragon "Timmy" after a South Park character.

"TIMM-AH!" :rofl:

I had dragons in my FH game, but they were off in the mountains on the other side of the continent with a very nasty magical wasteland inbetween, so the players had no real interactions with them. They had only 2 encounters that had any sort of dragon tie in, but that werent really dragon encounters.

First, there is a species of great lizard (non-sentient) known as a 'proto-dragon' from the (possibly) mistaken belief that it was from such a base that true dragons were created. One of these was being mind controlled (long term) by an opponent of the adventurers, and so they had to fight it. It wasnt real bright, though, nor did it have magical attacks or defenses, so not really a dragon encounter. (It ended up having its head blown off by the detonation of several magical explosives in its mouth as it chewed up the ellf who was carrying them)

Second, dragons in my campaign world spend a considerable time as non-sentients, living (and growing) as predatory animals. After flying over the intervening wasteland, the party encountered one such, but declined to fight it (they stayed in their flying boat, dropping a line to the kobold (not inherently evil) it was chasing. Gained a loyal (?) henchman, there!)

In my old campaign, slaying a fully matured dragon wasnt really supposed to be something doable on the human scale.

I have two, count them, two dragons in my universe. One male red dragon and one female gold dragon. To surrive a world without magic, they managed to "squeeze themselves" into human forms and hide out in an area of high mana to wait until magic returned. (There was a 30 year period of no magic except for concentrated pockets of mana. Then, magic came back, but it was Fantasy Hero instead of AD&D)

There was a loss, unimaginable in human terms, to surrive in this lesser state, but they are effectively immortal and incredibly powerful even in such a limited form. The gold is all about wisdom and knowledge, which the red is about fire and power.

I've used Dragons very rarely as direct influences in games. Usually they're mythological legends of the distant past, or reptilian equivilants of "Kaizer Soze", working so far behind the scene that they're invisible.

That's a long and indirect way of saying that in all my years of gaming I've run very few combats against (or with) Dragons. And never in Fantasy Hero.

So, what happened the last time any of your groups went up against the classic fire-breating winged fantasy dragon? How powerful were the heroes? Did they get their lifetime stock of Dragon-Jerky, or did your group need to start a new Star Hero game because their fantasy characters ended up Dragon Chow?

I'm looking for advice here. What do I need to avoid, what should I play to the hilt. My goal is to end up with one of those memorable encounters that the players talk about for years on end. I'm not looking to humble players with a supermonster, nor am I looking for my Dragon to become just another notch on the wizard's staff.

Eesh. That really depends on your Dragons. Are they hyper intelligent types? Are they big nasty dumb brutes? Do they work in groups? Regardless. Here are some general tips if you're going to launch a fire breathing beast.

Question 1: Do they use magic? How much? This influences their combat potential; some Dragons will use Transforms to convert themselves into something seemingly innocuous before flipping into full fire breathing mode. How memorable it is depends in part on the answer to that question and what kinds of tactics you want to employ.

Question 2: How smart do you want it to be? For example. Is it going to hang back, circle, and use its fire breath to create Entangles as barriers by lighting an entire side of the forest on fire? If going after a caravan, will it torch the front and back if it knows the necessary material is in the middle? Or at least torch the front to stop the train?

Question 3: Would it snap up a PC and use it as a human shield while using an MPA/Martial Art claw/claw/bite attack to keep other people at bay? It would certainly prohibit the PC Wizard from tossing Fireball, Cloudkill or Lightning Bolt at Capt. Thunder Scales if it had a human shield.

Question 4: You have 5 PCs, one dragon. Small Unit tactics says that the first thing your dragon should do is make an Analyze check -- determine who has the most magical firepower and target them first. If that means taking down the caster with a few well placed swipes, hey -- that's the price you pay for fighting one of those monstrosities.

Dumber versions aren't nearly as adept -- they'll be more inclined to go toe to toe if their egos tell them that no "puny mortal" has a chance.

Some basic ideas.

Dragons.

Dragons are, by any measure, legendary. All the Big Heros fight them -- Siegfried, St. Michael the Archangel, St. George, Gilgamesh, that sort of guy. As a consequence, since dragons are great, powerful, and legendary, you do need to answer that one question: smart or dumb?

A dumb dragon is still the Top Lizard in the food chain; it has no natural predators. Not even humans are 'natural' predators to a dragon; they fight and kill them only if and when it is necessary, and usually have to do it en masse because, well, one dragon rolling over in its sleep will squash, like, ten bloody horses. They eat three cows or five deer a day, sleep twelve hours out of every thirty-six, and spend the rest of their time making sure other dragons aren't poking into 'their' hunting grounds.

They'll be by turns wary and ferocious, cunning and blatant. Like a bear, they'll try to roar and frighten you off; like a wolf, they'll take the time to watch you before they engage. They'll use their natural abilities to their advantage, whether that's digging holes in swamp muck and breathing water to spring out, grab one character, and fly to 5,000 feet before dropping her, or causing an avalanche to bury all of you alive. They'll try to make the smart tired and thus dumb, they'll try to injure the healthy, and they'll then pick off the weakest of the wounded.

And that's a dumb dragon.

A smart dragon is fifty times worse. They'll stampede a herd of deer through your camp at midnight, then torch your tents while you're fumbling with your breeches. They'll patiently learn how to bomb you with rocks from 500 feet in the air. They'll fake a dramatic nothing-could-have-survived-that death scene so they can sneak off, watch you from afar (whether physically or mysticall), track you back to YOUR lair, and start wrecking your entire life.

Ideally, the characters should never FIGHT a dragon; in my not-very-humble opinion, in any characters-vs-dragon fight the GM should encourage the players, but effectively treat it as a 'do my level best to kill all you guys'. If a dragon has a mystic item that they can use, they will use it; if they have a spell, it will also get used to its best advantage. A dragon does not (or at least SHOULD not) care that its lair has been walked into; the characters can TAKE anything they can get their hands on.

A dragon's creed is this: Survival. You survive, you destroy your enemies, you survive, you breed. Once a dragon knows you're after it, your days should be numbered -- and no THINKING dragon should be 'unaware' of what's happening in its several-hundred-square-mile territory. You know those three villages nearest its lair? They'll complain about the dragon's 'predations', but you know, one cow per village per season is cheap when the dragon is paying good gold for information about people who want to know about it. No dragon worth his hoard should be hunting livestock within ten miles of his lair anyhow.

My philosophy about using them 'to be fought' in a fantasy campaign is that only the very young are ignorant enough to go toe-to-toe with characters. Dragon is smart. Dragon will retreat. Very young forest dragon will run away, lick its wounds, let you claim its whopping 3,000 gp worth of treasure, sneak after you, spook your horses, cantrip your torch into your tent, lure rabid bear into your camp, backstab your ranger as he's dressing a deer, and make sure all the rest of you die of exposure.

Very young mountain dragon will wriggle out its escape tunnel, collapse it behind it, then circle around and collapse the ENTRANCE tunnel. Then raid your camp, kill your horses, take all your stuff. When you start to climb out, dragon will bash first person's head in with a rock the size of a big mountain goat. When rest of you emerge, dragon will set off landslide that will sweep the rest of you off 200-foot cliff. Featherfall is fine, but it won't stop the dozens of hundred-pound rocks falling on TOP of you -- because 'rocks fall, everyone dies' is a thing.

Very young ice dragon will fade into the ice -- almost. And fade again, almost. And keep almost fading for an hour. And then will TOTALLY fade, go back to where you left your transport, and will eat all your food and put five holes in your boat to sink it to the bottom of the cold cold icy river, and when you return will drag the first of you down into the water and shove you under to freeze AND drown under ten inches of river ice. Then it will sit catlike juuust out of bowshot on the other side of the river and wait. And if you try to start a fire, it will go upwind and fan its wings and make it snow-flurry and

snuff your fire, and then you will freeze.

FIGHTING a dragon is just a bad, bad, bad idea. Because even the best (i.e. most 'good') dragon is still Nature's Top Predator, and when you try to kill it, morality and ethics go right out the frelling window; This Means War. You drew the sides, and it's going to end up with one side or the other dead dead dead.

Meeting a dragon should be the cap of an entire set of scenarios. Maybe it's a power-player in the nation's politics. Maybe it's a power-player in the nation's economics. If it transforms, maybe it lives in the city, and visits 'the country' every couple of months just to get away from it all. Maybe it is secretly the person who originally hired the PCs to try to put the kibosh on it in the first place -- 'just to test my defenses', a sort of 'Sneakers' thing.

Me, I feel that PCs should live by the ShadowRun philosophy of dragons:

Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon.

On the other hand, I've built a 150,000-year-old cannot-die immortal dragon/human shapechanger in a Hero Universe campaign, so I have my prejudices ...

...and they'll then pick off the weakest of the wounded.

A dragon does not (or at least SHOULD not) care that its lair has been walked into; the characters can TAKE anything they can get their hands on.

Whereas a smart dragon might deliberately leave the wounded alive to slow the group down.

The second one I disagree with, at least to an extent. First, I like the idea of dragons being very irrational when it comes to their hoard. Second, there is always a real risk that the heroes could get away if you let them get their hands on a hoard. That's not to say a particularly intelligent dragon couldn't restrain itself to make sure it "did the job right," rather than rushing in to protect its hoard... but in general, I think most dragons would not do so. They would still be cunning and vicious, but they wouldn't let the gold leave their lair, or if it did, would put it back in as soon as possible.

Overall, I find your approach to dragons interesting, challenging, logical, and fun. Except you don't really talk about their weaknesses. In your mind, how do you go about taking down a dragon?

To me, the fact that dragons have weaknesses is a given. As a matter of fact, they have huge, gaping weaknesses. About as big their strengths. It just doesn't often seem like that because of how BIG their strengths are. But, for both balance and flavor, in my mind they have weaknesses. Starting with arrogance, and pride. Being the biggest and baddest with powers and perspectives (in both time and space i.e. flight and nigh immortality) tends to swell your ego, as much as you tell yourself that "you won't let it go to your head." The bigger your ego, the harder you fall. But again, that doesn't make you "easy" by any mean feat.

I've never had a character who fought a dragon that was in full command if its faculties. (We've had to fight one that was insane and already dying of something we only obliquely and unintentionally caused, but that was a canned adventure set-up.) I've had several who've had to negotiate with one, with everyone present careful to avoid moves or statements that could be interpreted as theatening.

The best case was the character who was, himself, only marginally sane. A monomaniac pyrotechnitian (and from a long line of such Mad Bombers: he was B-25, son of B-24, father of B-26), he went to a dragon who had a corner on the local supply of sulfur.

(This was set in a modified version of the old Fantasy Trip world, where sulfur -- an essential ingredient in the world's explosives -- is rapidly consumed by microbes, but dragon dung is approximately pure sulfur. The dragons also had the classical hypnotic powers, so that looking one in the eye caused you to be enthralled.)

B-25 strode openly alone into the dragon's den, looked up into the dragon's eyes, and said, "I've got an idea."

Intrigued by someone so clearly off his rocker that dragon-hypnosis was ineffective against him, the dragon said, "Go on."

"I want to build the biggest explosive device the world has ever seen. I need your help for that. When it's done, you can have it and do what you want with it, as long as I get to watch."

The dragon, after some consideration, accepted. B-25 was retired as a player character at that point, since he became Munitions Maker for the Dragon, and spent the rest of a surprisingly long lifetime making and watching the dragon drop one-ton gunpowder bombs on targets of the dragon's choice.

Whereas a smart dragon might deliberately leave the wounded alive to slow the group down.

This is true. One must gauge the relative moralities of the group, of course, which a smart dragon will do.

...but they wouldn't let the gold leave their lair, or if it did, would put it back in as soon as possible.

Overall, I find your approach to dragons interesting, challenging, logical, and fun. Except you don't really talk about their weaknesses. In your mind, how do you go about taking down a dragon?

To me, the fact that dragons have weaknesses is a given....

I don't disagree that 'dragons have weaknesses'. Their Sins are Pride and Greed, of course, and both of these can be played upon, but taunts are not gonna do it. You 'take down' a dragon by flattery, teamwork, and a lot of luck, denying it its advantages, luring it into a location and/or situation in which it cannot use the majority of its abilities. You lie to it in copious amounts, which is to say you tell it the truth but only in such a manner as to lead it to a logically erroneous point. You don't make your flattery too glaring, because an honest fearful respect is more likely to lure it in than all the slickness you can muster.

You make sure going in that your will is made out, that you walk onto the killing ground thinking of nothing but killing the thing. You plan for every possible contingency at every possible point. You don't shriek or moan or gasp in horror or burst into tears when two of your eight mighty heros are killed in the first thirty seconds; you planned for that, remember? You hope to lose only 75-80% of your people, but you plan on everyone dying in order to take it out.

You plan the way a general plans a war, figuring moves and countermoves, lines of attack and angles of retreat. You try to get the thing to come to you, instead of you going to it. You deny it its prey, alter its home territory if you can, piss it off, injure it with traps and deadfalls. In short, the only way to kill a dragon is to outthink it, and that starts long, long before you get in sight of its home.

Or, basically, you do unto it before it does unto you.

Dragons in my game tend to be very intelligent but lacking any speech abilities. Think of them as uber-dolphins. They are something similar to Tolkiens Balrogs - powerful spirits trapped in corrupted forms and used by the forces of evil.

The party has only ever faced a single dragon from which they promptly scattered and hid since it had the drop on them. Eventually, the dragon gave up and left them alone (it maybe spent 2 turns looking for them).