Name That Cult

bigdamnhero

I need a name for a cult in a Champions game. They're not "cultists" in the usual Champions mystic/satanic sense of the word, but in the real-world doomsday cult sense. Think the Manson Family meets Aum Shinrikyo by way of Heaven's Gate.

At one point, the cult served a notorious supervillain/serial killer known as Helter Skelter. (Think Charles Manson In Power Armor.) HS is apparantly gone now (his return is of course prophesied) but the cult continues. They have a weird almost worshipful attitude toward technology, which is seen as both the cause of and the cure for the world's ills. They're not "technomages" or anything like that, just low-level gadgeteers with a near-religious view of their gadgets.

But I can't come up with a decent name. Any ideas?

Re: Name That Cult

What is the purpose of the cult? In HS's absence, are they working toward a means for his return, or preparing the world for HS to take over when he does return? Do they merely pursue personal technological enlightenment and await his return? Do they attempt to "heal" the bad tech and promote "good" tech (regardless of that tech's owner's desires)? Has another leader stepped into the void HS left and is directing them to some other purpose? Do they have a "mission statement" (they ARE tech-nerds after all)?

I ask because it would help get a handle on what name best fits. Although, given the description we already have, it should probably be an acronym. :)

What is the purpose of the cult?

I ask because it would help get a handle on what name best fits.

That would be telling. ;) Seriously, it's a fair question. But I'm afraid I can't give away too many details, since one of my players reads these boards. Let's say they're not just sitting around waiting for enlightenment. :sneaky:

Church of Christ the Carpenter ("For was not our lord a simple craftsman like ourselves?")

Church of Tomas Edison, aka the Edisonades ("As our patron brought light to this dark world, so too shall we").

Church of Hugo Gernsback ("Our prophet saw the future, and showed that future to us; now we shall show it to the world").

Cultists think they're the good guys, cruelly oppressed. Let them give themselves a positive name, and a positive spin on even the most insanely vile actions.

The Lightbringer Family or Lightbringer Foundation depending if you want a weird family cult vibe or a corporate cult vibe. Or use both - have the members refer to themselves as family but have the organisation operate in a more corporate mode.

Each member could forsake their family name, legally changing it to Lightbringer ("Hi, I'm Tom Lightbringer and this is my wife Katie Lightbringer who is also my mother and daughter. We are all one family. Soon you will be too.") and signing over all worldly possession to their new 'family'. Give them all perfect teeth and charisma (extra point or two of COM and PRE through plastic surgery) and let the creepiness begin.

The Lightbringer Family or Lightbringer Foundation depending if you want a weird family cult vibe or a corporate cult vibe. Or use both - have the members refer to themselves as family but have the organisation operate in a more corporate mode.

...and let the creepiness begin.

Ooooooooo. Never mind the plenty-of-people-don't-remember reference to the Lightbringer -- i.e. Lucifer. Unfortunately, someone would dredge up the reference incredibly fast, and as a result a lot of their PR would be going to fight that image.

Ooooooooo. Never mind the plenty-of-people-don't-remember reference to the Lightbringer -- i.e. Lucifer. Unfortunately' date=' someone would dredge up the reference [i']incredibly[/i] fast, and as a result a lot of their PR would be going to fight that image.

*Wince!*

So much for that idea, but how about The Prometheus Society, The Promethians, The Promethius Project or something similar? The preexisting myth of a titan who brings fire to mankind even though he's subsequently punished for it might generate a positive image for the outfit. That is, at least until they unleash that first hoard of Zombie Dachshunds™ in a premature attempt to strike terror into the hearts of men (women, too!) who get freaked out by yappy, rotting, undead wienerdogs. Or, perhaps I've said too much...?

Actually I really like that idea, but I don't think it fits the player's concept. So I'll keep it in reserve and use it for something else later. :sneaky: