UNTIL Uniforms - Now I know why they BUG me so much.

TheQuestionMan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: UNTIL Uniforms - Now I know why they BUG me so much.

Now now, let's not post in anger. Many of us on these boards were agitated after watching Starship Troopers. I suggest you enjoy a bottle of YooHoo and wait for the rage to pass. Try not to dwell on how a movie with giant bugs, boobies, and the legendary NPH could paradoxically suck AND blow.

Greetings Herophiles' date=' I just finished watching Starship Troopers and realized why the UNTIL Defender Uniforms bothered me so much. They are the same design and both totally unrealistic. Now I know that this is a game, but its those little things that make a difference to me. [/quote']

There were uniforms?

All I remember is Eric Bruskotter in the shower.

I actually feel that Starship Troopers the movie was more entertaining than the book.

The movie at least showed character development and growth (to an extent)

The book just came off as a political piece masquerading as a young adult Sci-Fi adventure.

Both I enjoyed, but I liked the movie more.

TB

I actually feel that Starship Troopers the movie was more entertaining than the book.

The book just came off as a political piece masquerading as a young adult Sci-Fi adventure.

TB

I agree 100% TB :)

As for UNTIL uniforms, the ones in my campaign look closer to SHIELD ...

TB

Wow! I got the complete opposite out of it. The movies was an extremely poor attempt to put across a political statement hamstrung by the director complete lack of any knowledge in the subject he was slamming. While the entire book was about Rico changing from spoiled kid to a man of honor, courage and duty, the only character development in the movie was the shower scene.

I had written a longer explanation, but it would be more appropriate for the NGD and I am trying to avoid that.

I still find it amazing though.

Try not to dwell on how a movie with giant bugs' date=' boobies, and the legendary NPH could paradoxically suck AND blow.[/quote']Neil Patrick Harris as legendary? :confused: Michael Ironside, sure, but Harris? Hmm....

Personally, I liked the movie (Netflix 3 out of 5 stars), and the gratuitous shower scene with Dina Meyer wasn't bad either.

Though a redo of the UNTIL uniforms: definitely. :thumbup:

I really don't mind the UNTIL uniforms. They have a nice comic-book esthetic IMHO, which given the genre UNTIL appears in is entirely apropos. Again IMHO, asking for "realism" from a medium in which the majority of the characters parade around in skintight primary-colored spandex is kind of missing the point. ;)

HERO System Almanac II gave us a Fourth Edition update of classic UNTIL with uniforms much more detailed and grounded in precedent from real military uniforms. They looked very practical, and perhaps for that reason rather boring in contrast to the supers around them. (Yes, again IMHO.)

Yikes me thinks a lot of people missed the point of the book.

Like, 75% of the people who read it, and 100% of the ones who saw the movie without reading the book?

I think RAH had to do more commentary on that book than any thing else he ever wrote.

For years I thought that a fascinating compare-and-contrast essay should be written using Starship Troopers and The Forever War. I enjoyed both books very much, despite or because of their radically different presentations of the military and widely disparate uses of the SF-as-political-rant motif.

The only problem I really had with the movie was that with the exception of the lack of space travel, we could have defeated the bugs if only we had used the tactics, strategy and technology developed by WWII.

Keith "Where is my frikken air support???" Curtis

Greetings Herophiles, I just finished watching Starship Troopers and realized why the UNTIL Defender Uniforms bothered me so much. They are the same design and both totally unrealistic. Now I know that this is a game, but its those little things that make a difference to me.

Please draw us a new one...PLEASE!!!

QM

Anyone have scans/screencaps?

Signed,

Too Lazy To Do Her Own Research Lass

The only problem I really had with the movie was that with the exception of the lack of space travel, we could have defeated the bugs if only we had used the tactics, strategy and technology developed by WWII.

Keith "Where is my frikken air support???" Curtis

On the other side of the issue, if the Klendathu could breed giant specimens capable of firing orbital-range balls of plasma out of their butts, they could easily have bred their ground troops with ranged weaponry.

The logic gaps in that film are more like black holes.

I read the book before I saw the movie.

I like the movie. I can also except why they don't have the power armour they do in the book.

And Michael Ironside and Clancy Brown as tough guys. I mean it can't lose.

I missed a Clancy Brown film? To the rental store!

On the other side of the issue, if the Klendathu could breed giant specimens capable of firing orbital-range balls of plasma out of their butts, they could easily have bred their ground troops with ranged weaponry.

The logic gaps in that film are more like black holes.

If we go too far, we come up with stuff like:

"OMG! The bugs have just launched killer bombs from their backsides! They're using chemical propellent! Take cover everyone! We only have like 400 million years to shoot them down before those things cross the galaxy and hit us!"

Keith "You may think it's a long way down to the chemist, but that's just peanuts compared to space" Curtis

If we go too far, we come up with stuff like:

"OMG! The bugs have just launched killer bombs from their backsides! They're using chemical propellent! Take cover everyone! We only have like 400 million years to shoot them down before those things cross the galaxy and hit us!"

Keith "You may think it's a long way down to the chemist, but that's just peanuts compared to space" Curtis

But isn't that exactly what the Bugs did with that meteor that wiped out Rio de Janeiro? They were capable of launching it through space within a tactically-effective time frame, which argues for some type of FTL capability.

I was willing to assume that that was why the humans didn't just bomb Klendathu with nukes - the Klendathu had their own WMDs to retaliate with.

But isn't that exactly what the Bugs did with that meteor that wiped out Rio de Janeiro? They were capable of launching it through space within a tactically-effective time frame, which argues for some type of FTL capability.

I was willing to assume that that was why the humans didn't just bomb Klendathu with nukes - the Klendathu had their own WMDs to retaliate with.

That's what we must infer. There is nothing in the film to support this other than our own understanding of relativity and the distance of space. We never see a warp effect or hear mention of FTL capability. Everything is real time and feels conventional.

The military hardware and tactics in the movie is just totally unconvincing.

How about, oh I don't know, some tanks? Maybe some missiles? Poison gas? Smart Bombs? I don't get the feeling that the bugs were holding back or negotiating. They certainly never surrendered or gave quarter. There is nothing but the implication of total war.

Keith "But there was lots of cool 'slplosions" Curtis