Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

New Gyrojet style ammo, can steer slightly or control velocity to be non-lethal or deadly.

Widder's challenge was to find a way of varying the muzzle velocity depending on the distance to the target so that the projectile always hits at the sweet spot of between 77 and 87 meters per second. His final design uses a small .50 caliber weapon firing a hard projectile that uses that gas venting strategy to hit the target at optimal speed. This variable speed makes the Pogojet safe at short range and effective at long range. Widder says it will be effective at a hundred meters, far further than any existing kinetic round.

Intriguing. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about giving better tools for oppression to the cops these days, but leaving that aside the Pogojet is pretty cool. I like cool firearms tech, and I like engineering that makes people safer.

What I don't like is the way the user has to push on the lever of the microswitch directly to fire that thing. Put a proper trigger in front of it! :)

But seriously, I'd probably wind up getting a Sig P320 or Beretta. I'd get a Glock but they don't fit my hand well. An FNS-9 or HK P30 are options but I have never held one.

I'm a lot less picky about caliber than many. I'd be okay with either 9mm or .40. I don't care for .45 primarily for capacity reasons.

Regardless, I'd be sure to spend the money for good magazines and night sights.

But seriously, I'd probably wind up getting a Sig P320 or Beretta. I'd get a Glock but they don't fit my hand well. An FNS-9 or HK P30 are options but I have never held one.

I'm a lot less picky about caliber than many. I'd be okay with either 9mm or .40. I don't care for .45 primarily for capacity reasons.

Regardless, I'd be sure to spend the money for good magazines and night sights.

I would lean really hard towards A springfield Armory XD, possibly the XDs with the 4 inch barrel.   I actually like the .45 acp a lot, partially because I already have one, but either 9mm or .40 are good.   .40 may be the best overall balance, but due to the higher pressure, both have a sharper report than a .45, which "booms" more than Cracks, in my opinion.   A good .357 magnum is almost always a good choice, the .38 spl is about the level most people can handle easily. (The Ruger LCR is sweet), One that is a little longer, but I want one is the Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal with the 4" barrel.  Not quite as good for concealment, heavier, but...    One that might work for some people is the Keltec PMR-30  It is fairly small, quite light, and holds 30 rounds of .22 magnum. Some of the modern loads seem to behave similarly to a .38 spl in gelatin pen and expansion, and recoil should be very tolerable.   http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/08/jeremy-s/gun-review-kel-tec-pmr-30/ 

I currently own a S&W .38 Model 60 manufactured in the 80's (no barrel pin, no trigger lock) and I am considering whether I want to trade up to a semi-automatic with more rounds or just save up the money for a straight purchase instead. Money is a factor.  I don't have the funds to even entertain becoming a collector so i've got to make whatever decision I make count.

I would lean really hard towards A springfield Armory XD, possibly the XDs with the 4 inch barrel.   I actually like the .45 acp a lot, partially because I already have one, but either 9mm or .40 are good.   .40 may be the best overall balance, but due to the higher pressure, both have a sharper report than a .45, which "booms" more than Cracks, in my opinion.   A good .357 magnum is almost always a good choice, the .38 spl is about the level most people can handle easily. (The Ruger LCR is sweet), One that is a little longer, but I want one is the Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal with the 4" barrel.  Not quite as good for concealment, heavier, but...    One that might work for some people is the Keltec PMR-30  It is fairly small, quite light, and holds 30 rounds of .22 magnum. Some of the modern loads seem to behave similarly to a .38 spl in gelatin pen and expansion, and recoil should be very tolerable.   http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/08/jeremy-s/gun-review-kel-tec-pmr-30/ 

Do you have a preference between hammer vs. striker (safety? vs. trigger pull)?

I currently own a S&W .38 Model 60 manufactured in the 80's (no barrel pin, no trigger lock) and I am considering whether I want to trade up to a semi-automatic with more rounds or just save up the money for a straight purchase instead. Money is a factor.  I don't have the funds to even entertain becoming a collector so i've got to make whatever decision I make count.

While I personally prefer semi-autos, revolvers can be inherently more reliable.   If you shoot it well, and can carry it comfortably, why replace it?  there are a few really small semis around, either in .380 acp or .9mm.   Their biggest advantages would be in width for concealment and recoil management.   imo modern ammo makes the .38 very similar in stopping power, the .380 is a little less there, but...       A reasonable option might be to guy a couple boxes of high quality ammo and a bunch of cheap practice ammo, then practice.       There is an in chamber laser dot training system that you can use inside...

I personally prefer a single action hammer fired like my Kimber, but part of that is that when I was a kid I shot in competition, and got used to triggers of less than 3 pounds pull.   I used a .22 rifle with about a sub 1 lb trigger pull.   High power NRA rifles were limited to no less than 4.5 lbs for Service rifle.     I got used to nice trigger pulls...      One of the nice things about the Ruger LCR is that most of them have a superb trigger pull.  

I don't think revolvers are any more reliable than certain modern autoloaders. That information is obsolete. Modern autos go through tens of thousands of rounds between stoppages, hold more ammo, and are quicker to reload. However, I do have to admit that wheelguns are damn cool and still work great, so it should be plenty of gun unless you're in Delta Force.

You may be right, but:

My dad switched back to revolvers (very experienced shooter and gunsmith) because he says he always knows what one will do. Mechanical motions that are less likely to snag on anything, cannot be limp wristed, can be fired from within a pocket if necessary, etc. I suspect that a revolver is usually more tolerant of lack of oil, and possibly, though it is purely a guess, grit/sand.

On the hypothetical side of things:

True, it is theoretically possible for someone in a grappling situation to grip the cylinder, preventing it from turning and firing, where a semi would have a chance to fire, but in such an action movie/comic book situation, the semi's slide could be racked back out of battery. On either style, if there is an exposed hammer, it could be blocked if gripped just so...

At a local gun show I saw the perfect weapon for a 1890 s character with at least 1 level of growth. It is a scaled up by 60% sharps rifle instead of 50 caliber is 80 caliber. It fires a 1400 grain bullet at 1250 feet per second and the entire thing is amazing to see. I think I worked out it does has 4860 or something like that foot pounds of energy but those velocities it's not energy that does the work its momentum. I thought I had a picture that captured the full size of it but I didn't. It is probably at least 5 feet long and the length of pull must be 18 to 20 inches. The barrel is made from a 20mms cannon barrel...

post-448-0-84671000-1453730337_thumb.jpg

post-448-0-03713800-1453730372_thumb.jpg

post-448-0-67081300-1453730471_thumb.jpg

post-448-0-17306100-1453730539_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...