Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

Needs more scopes.

Looks like a night vision scope (whether image intensification or Thermal I don't know, both are available now) that can be removed for daytime usage.

The main scope appears to be an illuminated reticle variable power "tactical scope" with a laser sight/illuminator (from the size, probably green) attached to the side of it.

And to waste money, since there are single stack compact M92s out there. The selection of the P228 as the M11 was unnecessary.

(I used to read Guns'N'Ammo - sue me.)

Sig-Sauer actually won the evaluation for the new US service pistol, but Beretta came out cheaper for the package so won the contract. I have a feeling the M11 was a token to ease any hurt feelings, plus it is a nice gun.

gun_accessories_3a.jpg

...yes, that's a cupholder you see on that rifle.

The Israeli's included a bottle opener on the Galil, this is just taking things to the next logical step... :drink:

It makes you wonder sometimes. The Israeli's put the bottle opener on the rifle because soldiers were bending magazines opening Coke bottles. The US put a heavier barrel on the M16A2 because soldiers were bending the barrels using the M16A1 as a crowbar :eek: . Obviously there must be a problem with snipers misusing their weapons due to their drink placement. :D

Don't think I've seen this one in this topic, but I'm not going through all 11 pages to check :)

SHOTGUN

"Made from iron bedposts; charge made of pieces of lead from curtain tape and match-heads, to be ignited by AA batteries and a broken light bulb. On May 21, 1984 two inmates of a prison in Celle, Germany, took a jailer as a hostage, showed off their fire power by letting go at a pane of bullet-proof glass, and escaped by car."

very nice find!

I've always said I could make a crude but serviceable gun for under $20 including ammo with a single trip to the hardware store.

This is pretty much one of the designs I've pondered, more or less, right down to the electrical filament ignition and using match-heads for propellant.

I'm impressed.

LOL' date=' they did at that, but heck we even took the German's style of machine gun (top loading, belt fed). So why stop a good thing :eek::D:cool:[/quote']

So does everybody else - the good old jimpy is pretty much a direct descendant of the MG42. :D

The Germans build good kit - the Abrams uses the Rheinmetall Waffe gun, and H&K were one of the successful bidders on the OICW - and yep, in fact the M320 was developed under licence from the H&K AG36.

cheers, Mark

So does everybody else - the good old jimpy is pretty much a direct descendant of the MG42. :D

The Germans build good kit - the Abrams uses the Rheinmetall Waffe gun, and H&K were one of the successful bidders on the OICW - and yep, in fact the M320 was developed under licence from the H&K AG36.

cheers, Mark

by Jimpy do you mean Mag58? It borrowed ideas, but as I understand it is basically a BAR turned upside down and fitted with a belt feed. :eek:

That reminds me, If I had the money to spend, I would get a Swedish Krag in 6.5x55 and I would LOVE to fire a real BAR. Preferably the Swedish 6.5x55 version...

One thing about HK...

The G3 they built much of their reputation on was a licensed Cetme. I think Dr. Voss had better ideas for the original Cetme, reduced power ultra sleek lightweight bullet for full auto control. Too bad I can't find the data from when IIRC Nato tested his cartridges.

cheers, Mark

True true, in terms of service, weapons, military... if it works... use it. Right? While playing a game of Shadowrun I (being a mage) strapped myself to the back of a rather violence prone Troll. We freaking wiped that place. Someone asked me how I could deal with being C3PO in a twisted Star Wars deal. I told them, "If it's goofy, but works, then it's not so goofy."

by Jimpy do you mean Mag58? It borrowed ideas, but as I understand it is basically a BAR turned upside down and fitted with a belt feed. :eek:

That reminds me, If I had the money to spend, I would get a Swedish Krag in 6.5x55 and I would LOVE to fire a real BAR. Preferably the Swedish 6.5x55 version...

One thing about HK...

The G3 they built much of their reputation on was a licensed Cetme. I think Dr. Voss had better ideas for the original Cetme, reduced power ultra sleek lightweight bullet for full auto control. Too bad I can't find the data from when IIRC Nato tested his cartridges.

The MG42 basically created a new class of weapon, the general purpose machine gun, GPMG or jimpy. I think he is just saying all the current GPMGs can trace their family tree back to the MG42.

I always liked the description of the AK-47 as the StG-44 built the way the Germans never would have.

The MG42 basically created a new class of weapon' date=' the general purpose machine gun, GPMG or jimpy. I think he is just saying all the current GPMGs can trace their family tree back to the MG42.[/quote']

Ayup.

cheers, Mark

I remember hearing about a Russian non-pump auto- or at least semi-auto combat shotgun somewhere. Anyone know anything about this kind of thing? Seemed to me that it would be great as a zombie killer with a faster fire rate vs. being mobbed.

I remember hearing about a Russian non-pump auto- or at least semi-auto combat shotgun somewhere. Anyone know anything about this kind of thing? Seemed to me that it would be great as a zombie killer with a faster fire rate vs. being mobbed.

http://www.saiga-12.com/

Saiga shotgun, based off of the Kalashnikov action and often converted into one by gunsmiths on this side. It has box magazines and AK controls. From what I hear, the accuracy isn't exactly stellar and ergonomics are AK so not real great, but otherwise a pretty darn neat piece of hardware.

Also' date=' say one wanted to equip a Scar-faced Tony Montana clone character but for the 21st Century -- what sort of updated "little friend" would 2010 Tony use?[/quote']

Robarms XCR w/16in bbl and LMT M203 underneath, with side-mounted weaponlight and red dot projector and top-mounted holographic sights

Cool thanks! a 20-round Drum clip looks like the way to go here.

What is the American equivalent?

A Saiga. =) There isn't really a commercially available semi-auto shotgun w/ box magazines that I'm aware of, though there are several conversions of regular shotguns into box magazine feeds. Most of those are pump action. However, Knoxx used to make a drum mag conversion for Mossberg 590s, if I recall correctly. Also a pump, though. THere's a video out there of an AR-looking autoshotgun that was featured on future weapons as well, I believe, but it hasn't been commercially released as far as I know. Personally, it looked gimpy to me, but the idea is a good one, in my opinion. As a whole, though, we americans seem to prefer the stacked tube design. I'm mostly a pump shotgun kind of guy, personally.

The MG42 basically created a new class of weapon, the general purpose machine gun, GPMG or jimpy. I think he is just saying all the current GPMGs can trace their family tree back to the MG42.

I can't recall where I heard this, but: "I always thought the purpose of a machine gun was fairly well defined..."

:)

Kalishnakov makes a box magazine, gas operated shot-gun series....perfect for room clearing and jungle fighting...but I Think the base model is .410.....

Kalishnakov makes a box magazine' date=' gas operated shot-gun series....perfect for room clearing and jungle fighting...but I Think the base model is .410.....[/quote']

That's the Saiga I mentioned... and it comes in 12 gauge for sure, not sure about other gauges.

That's the Saiga I mentioned... and it comes in 12 gauge for sure' date=' not sure about other gauges.[/quote']

Ah, cool. Thats what I get for posting before reading on first...Personally I suspect that 12 is too macho for most work, but I think .410 is too small...

Ah' date=' cool. Thats what I get for posting before reading on first...Personally I suspect that 12 is too macho for most work, but I think .410 is too small...[/quote']

Well, while the 12 gauge may be a bit much for some folks (no disparagement here, some are more recoil shy, smaller in stature, or otherwise), the gas system should tame it a fair amount, and I personally don't think 12 gauge is really as bad as many people think it is. Still, if I remember correctly, there may have been a 20 gauge version of it as well. .410 can be useful, and its more powerful than some think, but I'm from the "I'd rather have extra than not enough," school and would far prefer the 12 gauge.

I suspect that most people that have trouble with or don't like the 12 gauge are usually those who were introduced to it poorly, like the many people on youtube who are shown hurting themselves with hard kicking guns of all kinds. The 12 gauge is actually pretty mild, especially in most gas guns, unless heavy high-velocity slugs are used. Even then, its usually more a matter of proper technique than any kind of real toughness. Almost anyone can shoot buckshot with a properly shouldered shotgun, even a solid-stocked pumper, without too much problem. This is assuming the use of 2.75" shells, rather than the 3" or 3.5" shells. Still, better to shoot something you can handle well, and if a lower gauge is preferable, no harm done. I know a few people that prefer the 16 or 20 gauge shotguns, but most handle the 12 just fine.

Personally, I'd like to try a 10 gauge or even the reputed 4 gauge that supposedly is out there. Never seen a 4 gauge shotgun, though. I've had range sessions with 100+ high-velocity heavy-weight slugs, and its a good time. I felt it more in my cheek than in my shoulder, though. I suspect improper cheek-weld, up until then unnoticed with easier loads, was partially to blame. I was using a solid-stocked pump gun I had just bought and was breaking it in. :D Had to make sure the tube extension and new spring and follower were up to snuff as well.

If you get a chance, try one of the 12 gauge semi-automatics like the Remington 1100/11-87 which use a gas system; or even the inertia based ones like the Benellis. You might be surprised at how easy they are to shoot.