Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

There isn't really a commercially available semi-auto shotgun w/ box magazines that I'm aware of

Oh but there is... :-)

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/01/26/at-14-the-410-ar-15-shotgun/

The AT-14, AR-15 lower, custom follower and upper. .410 shells - a good room sweeper when you are concerned about penetrating walls and keeping collateral damage down.

I can't recall where I heard this, but: "I always thought the purpose of a machine gun was fairly well defined..."

:)

I do. I think it's the Shadowrun Street Samurai's Weapons Catalogue (or similar). There was a GPHMG on sale and someone chipped in with "I always thought the purpose of a heavy machine gun was faily well-defined"

I do. I think it's the Shadowrun Street Samurai's Weapons Catalogue (or similar). There was a GPHMG on sale and someone chipped in with "I always thought the purpose of a heavy machine gun was faily well-defined"

Ah, yes, thanks :)

Well, while the 12 gauge may be a bit much for some folks (no disparagement here, some are more recoil shy, smaller in stature, or otherwise), the gas system should tame it a fair amount, and I personally don't think 12 gauge is really as bad as many people think it is. Still, if I remember correctly, there may have been a 20 gauge version of it as well. .410 can be useful, and its more powerful than some think, but I'm from the "I'd rather have extra than not enough," school and would far prefer the 12 gauge.

I suspect that most people that have trouble with or don't like the 12 gauge are usually those who were introduced to it poorly, like the many people on youtube who are shown hurting themselves with hard kicking guns of all kinds. The 12 gauge is actually pretty mild, especially in most gas guns, unless heavy high-velocity slugs are used. Even then, its usually more a matter of proper technique than any kind of real toughness. Almost anyone can shoot buckshot with a properly shouldered shotgun, even a solid-stocked pumper, without too much problem. This is assuming the use of 2.75" shells, rather than the 3" or 3.5" shells. Still, better to shoot something you can handle well, and if a lower gauge is preferable, no harm done. I know a few people that prefer the 16 or 20 gauge shotguns, but most handle the 12 just fine.

Personally, I'd like to try a 10 gauge or even the reputed 4 gauge that supposedly is out there. Never seen a 4 gauge shotgun, though. I've had range sessions with 100+ high-velocity heavy-weight slugs, and its a good time. I felt it more in my cheek than in my shoulder, though. I suspect improper cheek-weld, up until then unnoticed with easier loads, was partially to blame. I was using a solid-stocked pump gun I had just bought and was breaking it in. :D Had to make sure the tube extension and new spring and follower were up to snuff as well.

If you get a chance, try one of the 12 gauge semi-automatics like the Remington 1100/11-87 which use a gas system; or even the inertia based ones like the Benellis. You might be surprised at how easy they are to shoot.

Thanx for the info...for me a 20 or 16 gauge sounds better for room clearing, less "boom" and a little easier to controll. In my mind the advantage to a gas operated system is being able to toss two or three rounds out real quick like,and unless I'm after Spiderman I don't think aiming at the ceiling will help any... ;)

Thanx for the info...for me a 20 or 16 gauge sounds better for room clearing' date=' less "boom" and a little easier to controll. In my mind the advantage to a gas operated system is being able to toss two or three rounds out real quick like,and unless I'm after Spiderman I don't think aiming at the ceiling will help any... ;)[/quote']

Heh. Probably not. =) The gas system is just to have faster follow-up shots, as you mentioned, but also to keep you from having to shuck shells into the chamber, which some people have trouble with or don't like to do. Personally, I think most people can get quick enough with a pump-gun, and scarily quick if they make the effort... and excessive use or powder build up just mean you have to pump it harder to keep it working if you can't clean it for some reason. =)

If you're aiming at the ceiling, something is wrong. Maybe stop using the heavy 3.5" shells and put your hand back on the front of the gun. =)

An old college Buddy has a SPAS 12, and we use to take it out back and shoot it. At the time I never had the stones to try a double tap (it's got a nasty kick, what with that small metal stock, then again I knew little about shotguns at the time, so it could have been position, but it made a nasty bruise against even experienced shotgunners.).

But I have another buddy who would try it, along with a "racking double tap" (using the kick and jump of the first shot to help rack a second round), and with very little time one can learn to fire a fairly quick double tap with both pump style and semiauto 12 guage firing.

Well, while the 12 gauge may be a bit much for some folks (no disparagement here, some are more recoil shy, smaller in stature, or otherwise), the gas system should tame it a fair amount, and I personally don't think 12 gauge is really as bad as many people think it is. Still, if I remember correctly, there may have been a 20 gauge version of it as well. .410 can be useful, and its more powerful than some think, but I'm from the "I'd rather have extra than not enough," school and would far prefer the 12 gauge.

I suspect that most people that have trouble with or don't like the 12 gauge are usually those who were introduced to it poorly, like the many people on youtube who are shown hurting themselves with hard kicking guns of all kinds. The 12 gauge is actually pretty mild, especially in most gas guns, unless heavy high-velocity slugs are used. Even then, its usually more a matter of proper technique than any kind of real toughness. Almost anyone can shoot buckshot with a properly shouldered shotgun, even a solid-stocked pumper, without too much problem. This is assuming the use of 2.75" shells, rather than the 3" or 3.5" shells. Still, better to shoot something you can handle well, and if a lower gauge is preferable, no harm done. I know a few people that prefer the 16 or 20 gauge shotguns, but most handle the 12 just fine.

Personally, I'd like to try a 10 gauge or even the reputed 4 gauge that supposedly is out there. Never seen a 4 gauge shotgun, though. I've had range sessions with 100+ high-velocity heavy-weight slugs, and its a good time. I felt it more in my cheek than in my shoulder, though. I suspect improper cheek-weld, up until then unnoticed with easier loads, was partially to blame. I was using a solid-stocked pump gun I had just bought and was breaking it in. :D Had to make sure the tube extension and new spring and follower were up to snuff as well.

If you get a chance, try one of the 12 gauge semi-automatics like the Remington 1100/11-87 which use a gas system; or even the inertia based ones like the Benellis. You might be surprised at how easy they are to shoot.

4-gauge? Are you thinking of the Russian TSNII TochMash KS-23 "Special Carbine"? It uses a modified 23mm cannon barrel and is, from reports, hell to shoot. I think I'll stick to the 12-gauges. At least when handled properly they won't break my shoulder. :(

An old college Buddy has a SPAS 12, and we use to take it out back and shoot it. At the time I never had the stones to try a double tap (it's got a nasty kick, what with that small metal stock, then again I knew little about shotguns at the time, so it could have been position, but it made a nasty bruise against even experienced shotgunners.).

But I have another buddy who would try it, along with a "racking double tap" (using the kick and jump of the first shot to help rack a second round), and with very little time one can learn to fire a fairly quick double tap with both pump style and semiauto 12 guage firing.

I think a Benelli M1014 loaded with Frag-12 shells is probably sufficient. :D

In my own experience, burning up 12-gauge shells all day can cause some discomfort even with a recoil pad on the buttstock. Most of my shotgun experience was obtained with a Baikal side-by-side "coach gun". Most of my shooting buddies preferred semiauto shotguns because the recoil energy was diminished by the action of the self-loading system (or possibly spread out over a longer timeframe). In any case, if you were just shooting targets with the intent of shooting a lot in one afternoon, most of my friends recommended a semiauto over a pump action, single- or, double-barrelled shotgun.

While there were times my shoulder was "tenderized" after a day of shooting, I never (except momentarily) regretted having so much fun.:D

In my own experience, burning up 12-gauge shells all day can cause some discomfort even with a recoil pad on the buttstock. Most of my shotgun experience was obtained with a Baikal side-by-side "coach gun". Most of my shooting buddies preferred semiauto shotguns because the recoil energy was diminished by the action of the self-loading system (or possibly spread out over a longer timeframe). In any case, if you were just shooting targets with the intent of shooting a lot in one afternoon, most of my friends recommended a semiauto over a pump action, single- or, double-barrelled shotgun.

While there were times my shoulder was "tenderized" after a day of shooting, I never (except momentarily) regretted having so much fun.:D

I was younger, and I do regret not switching it over to the automatic function... But at least I can say that I have had trigger time on a SPAS 12. :)

How much did the coach gun weigh?

When I was about 14 I was handed a 20 ga side by side and told to fire it, I was helping train bird dogs...

It had a 20 ga 3" goose load or some such damned thing!

That hurt. :nonp:

I was younger' date=' and I do regret not switching it over to the automatic function... But at least I can say that I have had trigger time on a SPAS 12. :)[/quote']

I didn't enjoy shooting the SPAS-12. Its controls were more complex than need be and it was too heavy for any kind of sustained field use. But it does look cool.

I didn't enjoy shooting the SPAS-12. Its controls were more complex than need be and it was too heavy for any kind of sustained field use. But it does look cool.

No kidding it's a heavy beast. I forgot that about it. We took it out to my back yard (a small 40 acre plot), so not too much walking. And it was before I ever even thought about heading into the military.

But yah, it's weighted like the Garand, witch is also a great weapon, just too heavy by today's standards.

No kidding it's a heavy beast. I forgot that about it. We took it out to my back yard (a small 40 acre plot), so not too much walking. And it was before I ever even thought about heading into the military.

But yah, it's weighted like the Garand, witch is also a great weapon, just too heavy by today's standards.

I've heard that the BAR's weight is actually an asset, in that it tends to "ride up" a lot less than the M-14 during automatic fire.

On the issue of 12 gauges, don't forget the reduced-recoil shells. Even out of an 18" pumpgun w/ a folding stock, they are a quite a bit more comfortable to shoot than full loads, at least in regards to "00" and slug, in my personal experience. Makes for quicker follow-up shots too. Can't speak for other loads.

I am not certain, but I think it was designed primarily for police use. So mostly transported by vehicle then deployed from there, not a lot of patrolling with full rucksacks and such.

There is an "Armor Piercing Shot" load for it, iirc, an APFSDS load.