Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

Supposedly the incident resulted in a new motto, you're not a SEAL until you've tasted Italian steel, or something like that. Of course in defense of the Beretta the SEALs put a lot of rounds through their guns, it was pointed out that in just a few years the Beretta involved had fired more rounds than most military issue pistols will fire in a lifetime of service. Beretta also addressed the problem strengthening the area in question. The SIG is a nice gun though and shoud havewon the competition, but its magazines cost more making the Beretta the overall cheaper weapon, and the government loves low bid. :rolleyes:

And to waste money, since there are single stack compact M92s out there. The selection of the P228 as the M11 was unnecessary.

(I used to read Guns'N'Ammo - sue me.)

anti-material?

There are two main activities the military engages in when waging war:

1. Killing people
  2. Breaking things

Beyond a certain size, a weapon's focus shifts from killing people to breaking things. Shoot a .50 cal bullet through an engine block and the engine ceases to function. A howitzer is more often used to attack buildings and equipment than it is for attacking people. Likewise, an M-4 isn't much use against an armored vehicle half a mile distant. Basically, using a .50 caliber round for antipersonnel work, while effective, underutilizes the energy of a bullet that heavy travelling that fast. Thus, anti-materiel.

Of course in defense of the Beretta the SEALs put a lot of rounds through their guns' date=' it was pointed out that in just a few years the Beretta involved had fired more rounds than most military issue pistols will fire in a lifetime of service. [/quote']

I was in at the time, and discussed this with the high level armorer in our brigade. It was a plain and simple parts failure. It wasn't in an area that would normally see wear to that degree during normal use.

Disks were installed to strengthen the weak point and later purchases were free of the defect. I'm not sure what the cause of the defect was, exactly, other than maybe a bad batch of steel, or bad heat treats. Almost certainly a result of increasing production runs exponentially to fill the military contract.

I believe that should be "anti-materiel." As in vehicles, fortifications and such. There should be an accent mark above the second "e" but I don't know how to do accent marks.

I know--I fail at accents. :(

If you were a pokémon master, you'd know this! (It's alt+130 on the numberpad) :D

If you were a pokémon master' date=' you'd know this! (It's alt+130 on the numberpad) :D[/quote']

alt+e will also give you the same effect. Séé?

Bah. Proper keyboards have accent buttons.

Huh. My kéyboard doesn't have büilt-in aççeñts. It does have å, æ and ø, though .... :D

Note: accents above delivered via the power of amazing alt key :D (Except for å, æ and ø, of course!)

cheers, Mark

Didn't Heckler & Koch originally develop that' date=' for the G36? I seem to remember. . .[/quote']

LOL, they did at that, but heck we even took the German's style of machine gun (top loading, belt fed). So why stop a good thing :eek::D:cool:

Whoever is asinine enough to put a ******* cup holder on a rifle deserves to be beaten to death with the stock for the preservation of what's left of the American gene pool.

Cup holders. On sniper rifles. Oy.

You should see the one that goes with the night vision goggles...the straw fits into your mouth.

Whoever is asinine enough to put a ******* cup holder on a rifle deserves to be beaten to death with the stock for the preservation of what's left of the American gene pool.

Cup holders. On sniper rifles. Oy.

Hey in the German Schutzenschnur (Army award for weapon marksmanship) the beer tent is only 20 or so Meters from the firing line, I've even seen a Brit. SAS taking the pistol course while drinking a beer from said tent....

This is just a step closer, just put your beer in the holder, fire, and your good to hook.