Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

Hehe. For this' date=' I present the .600 Nitro Express Revolver (I believe previously pictured):[/quote']

Looks like a revolver made for a Kazei 5 cyborg. Or Shion Nys, who has a 40 STR. Of course, I do have the Remington Stormbreaker in my book, a 15mm 3-shot revolver designed as an anti-cyborg/cyberdroid weapon.

I really loved Cyberpunk... *sigh* I never really got the whole "rocker" thing that much' date=' but still, it was an interesting touch. I just liked the environment and the genre.[/quote']

Rockers are in cyberpunk books probably because of Angie Mitchell (Mona Lisa Overdrive) and Priss Asagiri (Bubblegum Crisis).

Rockers are in cyberpunk books probably because of Angie Mitchell (Mona Lisa Overdrive) and Priss Asagiri (Bubblegum Crisis).

If only Priss had intelligence to go with her guts! :(

I have no idea where my DVD collection went...

mostly Priss, from this admittedly oddly anecdotal chain of reasoning...

I know a lot of the RTas "Second wavers" who contributed to & playtested the original cyberpunk.They were among the Hero gamers at my school, a year or two ahead of me, who all headed to UC Santa Cruz, back when R Taslorian was all about Mekton and Arasaka Industries was one of the big bad corporations in our pre-1st edition Star Hero "Space Game" campaign.

Yep, you heard it.

Arisaka came from a HERO campaign.

Anyway, those guys were ALLL about the Anime' influences for the Rockers

mostly Priss, from this admittedly oddly anecdotal chain of reasoning...

I know a lot of the RTas "Second wavers" who contributed to & playtested the original cyberpunk.They were among the Hero gamers at my school, a year or two ahead of me, who all headed to UC Santa Cruz, back when R Taslorian was all about Mekton and Arasaka Industries was one of the big bad corporations in our pre-1st edition Star Hero "Space Game" campaign.

Yep, you heard it.

Arisaka came from a HERO campaign.

Anyway, those guys were ALLL about the Anime' influences for the Rockers

I was going to make some lame comment about Yellow Dancer (Lancer) and the Love Live and Alive concert, but it turns out I might have been closer than I thought.... Back then Anime had to have a cool musical talent.

If I had to extrapolate damage for "handzukas", based on existing handgun damage:

.500 S&W = 2d+1 KA, +1 STN

.600 Nitro = 2.5d KA, +1 STN (?)

20 mm = 3d, +1 STN

23-25mm = 3d+1, +1 STN

27-32 mm = 3.5 d, +1 STN

35-40mm = 4d, +1 STN

50 mm = 4d+1, +1 STN

57-60 mm = 4.5 d, +1 STN

70-75 mm = 5d, +1 STN

Anything beyond that is probably similar to a handheld RPG or LAW--a one-shot-capacity weapon.

If I had to extrapolate damage for "handzukas", based on existing handgun damage:

.500 S&W = 2d+1 KA, +1 STN

.600 Nitro = 2.5d KA, +1 STN (?)

20 mm = 3d, +1 STN

23-25mm = 3d+1, +1 STN

27-32 mm = 3.5 d, +1 STN

35-40mm = 4d, +1 STN

50 mm = 4d+1, +1 STN

57-60 mm = 4.5 d, +1 STN

70-75 mm = 5d, +1 STN

Anything beyond that is probably similar to a handheld RPG or LAW--a one-shot-capacity weapon.

What kind of setting?

The stats for the .500 S&W are about as much as you are going to get in a mostly reality based game. Yes there have been more powerful one offs but they are not really practical, mostly theoretically working wall hangers.

In a game where physics are more guidelines than laws, guns like that .600 Nitro are much more viable.

In something where physics only apply when it works for the story, something like a 20-25mm pistol are possible.

Anything beyond that is really getting out there. Also don't get too hung up on the caliber, there is a ton of variation based on cartridge length. No reason you can't call it a 40mm pistol while using 20mm stats. The 40mm Bofors probably used to stat that 40mm above has a cartridge 311mm long, a bit much to fit into a pistol, but a cut down 40x100mm might work in the right setting.

There are real 25mm pistols, but they are low velocity weapons more like a grenade launcher, many flare guns are around this size. Beef up the gun a bit and a higher velocity version functional as a real weapon for a really buff character would be possible.

Similarly a revolver using the standard US 40mm grenade round would be something to consider, not really intended as a solid shot weapon but grenades have their own special features.

Excellent find. I said in a NGD thread that I was looking for "ray gun" images, but couldn't find anything that wasn't a design from the 30s to the 60s, a cartoon image, or an obvious toy. And while the vast majority of images are supposed to be projectile weapons--even the "Starbuck"--they could also stand in for laser or plasma weapons.

Thank You for posting this. Have reputation.

I remember seeing the Marines firing one of those (or something very similar) during the first Gulf War, the pictures were from the Battle of Khafji. The weapon was being used purely for suppression, fired slowly and panning across a large area of ruined buildings on the other side of an open area.

I remember thinking at the time that there just couldn't be anything more effective at such a task.

One of my books lists this gun and comments that it might be useful for dispatching a belligerent mouse or cockroach. :D

The 2.7mm round has a whopping 3 ft/lbs of energy. For comparison the .22 Long Rifle has 159 ft / lbs.

The 2.7mm bullet weighs 3 grains, just 1/12 the weight of a .22 bullet.

Yeah, but note the intended use: it would cause you some grief if someone stuck the muzzle directly into your ear and then pulled the trigger ... which is what purse guns like that were for. If you had to use it, your assailant was probably already in close physical contact. :D

cheers, Mark