Homebrew Organizations

Mightybec

Re: Homebrew Organizations

What organizations have you created from scratch, and what is its modivation, theme, and powers?

Developed for a campaign circa 1982-ish:

Crimetech:

Basically an organization derived from my reading of "The Adolesence Of P1"

(tho' I should provide a slight nod to the Man From Uncle series as well).

Crimetech believes in, basically, "Better (ie: more profitable) crime thru

technology." High tech and generally non-violent. Would, on occassion,

sell it's agents and/or expertise out to others, provided that "the council"

approved.

Each part of the US was divided into zones, which were controlled by

the decisions of a board member. The council consisted of 10 members

and a chairman. The chairman had the power to veto any activity taken

by the members. The members were not "wiseguys" or thugs but more

often heads of corporations, etc.

The chairman was, however, answerable to a single higher authority referred

to as "Control". Only the chairman interacted with control and had any solid

knowledge of who (or what) he/she/it was or had planned......

As of the 1980's, Crimetech was strictly a US operation with little or no

activity beyond that countries borders.

It's been awhile since I looked at the groups stats so I can't give you

much in the way of "mechanics". Sorry. Tho' I hope to revamp the group

and add it to my "world background" for possible future use. If I do I'll

attempt to post more here.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only used one agency so far. It was a clone of the old 3rd ed. VIPER. It was called ORBIT. The Organization for Ransom, Bribery, and International Terrorism. It was a complete VIPER rip-off, complete with 5 teams, blasters, etc. The only thing missing was the garish uniforms. ORBIT uniforms were dark blue with gray accents. The insignia was a globe with the lat. and long. lines, but no continents. Around this circled one orbit, from the top left to the lower right.

The biggest in my current campaign is Oracle. They're like SHIELD but they focus on occult threats. They recruit from law enforcment, the military, and occult circles. Current agents include an angel, a demon, a Kaballic mathematician, and a pardoned felon. They are well funded and use the best tech available, from flying cars to rail guns.

Take a peek: http://www.herogames.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15669&stc=1

So far, all the organizations seem to fall into one of three or four categories (plus one private security firm with criminal ties):

1) Criminal

2) Law-Enforcement

3) Military/Paramilitary/Espionage

4) Shadowy technology-suppression cabals (presumeably criminal)

Has anyone made any cool support-type organizations or corporations? Any good twists on S.T.A.R. Labs, M.E.T.E., Dr. McQuark, or Edna Mode's company?

Has anyone made any cool support-type organizations or corporations? Any good twists on S.T.A.R. Labs, M.E.T.E., Dr. McQuark, or Edna Mode's company?

I'm working on developing:

Royce International

Basically a Wayne-Tech clone. Jonathon Royce was the hero Dark-Knight

from the 1930's into the early 1970's. Although he passed away (natural

causes/old age) his legacy lives on thru a bequest executed by his long

time friend and co-hero Hippolyta. VERY long lived she has retired from

the hero business (mostly :D ) and now, in addition to teaching at a

major university in NYC, she observes and gauges new heros, providing

them with financial support via a Royce Foundation annuity. This is, of

course, all done "sub-rosa" with the Royce International board of directors

knowing as little about the true nature of things as possible.

-Carl-

Has anyone made any cool support-type organizations or corporations? Any good twists on S.T.A.R. Labs' date=' M.E.T.E., Dr. McQuark, or Edna Mode's company?[/quote']

I've used The Quest Foundation . Set up by Dr. Johnny Quest before he boarded his spaceship and set out to explore the stars. Massively endowed trust that provides funding for various research, philanthropic efforts, and superhero teams.

So far, all the organizations seem to fall into one of three or four categories (plus one private security firm with criminal ties):

1) Criminal

2) Law-Enforcement

KInd of... though they were also the driving force in the game. Odyssey International... a corporation with purely humanitarian goals whose roots went back to the 30's as an adventurer's club called The Odyssey League:

http://www.viamea.com/Champions/odysseymain.htm

In the current solo FTF I'm running, VIPER has been more or less disabled. In the camaign city, one man has emerged to try and reunite the shattered forces and underneath unite the various crime famalies in the city under one iron fist. The organization is called The Alliance and the man in charge is a hidden figure known only as Agenda. And he has quite the "to-do" list he's working his way through, with the PC next...

Lee

• 3 weeks later...

1) Criminal

2) Law-Enforcement

ABC (Atomic Bacterial Chemical) Corporation (affectionately named after the ABC Warriors from the old comic but no other relationship) is the world's "other" tech giant (the one it's compared to being Stark Industries). It's motive is profit, pure and simple...and by any means necessary.

They employ, covertly, a shadowy paramilitary organization known as OMEGA. Nothing much is known about that organization, and it may have its own agenda. All OMEGA agents commit suicide or are killed by comrades upon capture. But OMEGA does do the dirty work of ABC, even if unproven.

But there's a secret lurking under ABC, one even they cannot control, though they created it. It's called DEXTER, and it's the AI that has spun out of control, Colossus-like (as in the one from the Forbin Project). DEXTER is known to only a very few people, including now our gaming group. DEXTER's pursuit is power, only, as it was programmed that way, to assist ABC in the analysis and acquisition of power.

DEXTER has tapped into another secretive organization...Sacrosanct. Sacrosanct was the idea of a player and I've adapted it and fleshed it out so that, of course, the player wouldn't know all the details. It's an ancient power, a driving force behind the Catholic Church which zealously guards the church's secrets and ensures its power on Earth as necessary. Sacrosanct does not always do the holy thing...but it does actually try.

Meta-human Control And Detention/Special Weapons And Tactics (MCAD/SWAT): the branch of SWAT that deals with Containing and capturing Super Villians. While Not Uber Powerful they do fairly well in cleaning up after super hero fights.

OViD (Order of the Virtual Diagnostics): A group created to study meta human activity and Mutations. They were benevolent for the most part but alot of the Heros in my game never trusted them. The group was very public with it's work amoung mutants which pissed of the Heroes no end.

• 7 months later...

I only ever had three, and I never have gotten to use them:

RISING SUN -- a group of deformed Japanese mutants out to get revenge against the US for dropping the A-bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Something like Japanese Morlocks, I guess (the Marvel comics sewer-dweller Morlocks). They also want some blood from Korea, China, and the Philippines, as they're the ones who got the treacherous Yankees to declare war on Japan in the first place.

GAIAWAR -- radical enviromentalists and rabidly anti-technology, they want to return the planet to a pure natural state. One of their leaders was a radical post-human mad scientist type, Doctor Green, who made most of their inventions: all biotech armor, weapons, etc., and who was working on a series of Proteus Nanovirii that would transform humans into new prey and predator species for the 'New Earth'. I saw that last bit as a different take on the whole 'death to humanity!' Deep Green shtick. Their agents had 'built in' weaponry and such; much more powerful than the usual superagents, but handicapped by their ideology and small numbers.

THE MONTAUK PROJECT -- mentioned elsewhere on these boards, they wanted to re-create the Dimensional Gate they briefly opened in 1942 and use it for colonization and expansionism. Run by a brain in a jar (attached to a cyborg body...), mostly very high-tech 'normals', run more like a conspiracy then a traditional villainous agency.

I was working on a crime group as an opponent for the university based super team fraternity.

Basically a fairly normal crime syndicate except with teleporter tech kind of like the authorities doors only a transmitter frame for the doors had to be set up in advance. Mostly they where just straight up mafia types mainly working hijacking and armed robberies with some side businesses police found them really hard to deal with because the key people always had a way out

Of course there was a deeper secret the teleporter tech was provided by extra dimensional invaders who where trapped in an intra dimensional limbo and used the organization to steal hi tech equipment and supplies so they could return to there home and possibly sue the organization as a fifth column to reduce preparedness for the next invasion.

Unfortunatly I could never come up with a good name for them

THE DOORWAY just doesn’t sound scary

This organization is a whole week and a half old:

The Guild of Swords - this is an actual guild for people, a lodge of sorts for the public and the top members have high-technology easily equal to superheroes. Members may only join upon invitation. The hidden agenda is to nab super-powered technology or unique weapons by carefully inviting the unsuspecting member.

(A little help here requested: how can these guys steal away the technology and maybe even openly oppose the heroes and still not become known as criminal? As I said, it's very new so I'm open to ideas.)

Freedom's Brigade - This organization was started in WWI when Major Freedom first made his appearance and started organizing various scientist, soldiers, G-men (FBI) into a reactionary force to take down any and all "Anti-American" threats thrown at the US. It was finally disbanded during the military cutbacks started by President Clinton.

The Patriots - Organization that started up just like Freedom's Brigade but under the command of the Department of Homeland Security, just after the 9-11 attacks.

TROUBLE - Tactical Response Officers United Backup Legalized Enforcers. This is a Rapid Response to any and all superhuman activities in the known world. They're commanded and run by the United Nations, and since their inception in the 1990's have had numerous set backs and failures due to the policies of the Security Council they fall under. They are all Agents, basically using the latest in technologies to due their duty to protect the world.

If you have Meta-human troubles call 1-800-876-8253 (1-800-TRO-UBLE)

Supreme Corp - They are a constant threat to the world from a recently rediscovered Nazi R&D Lab. They are clones of the Best soldier in the German Army in WWII. These clones when activated are exposed to a burst of Gamma radiation causing instant mutations. They took the symbol of the people who set up the lab and placed it on a shield in the center of their chest (S)

KRAC - Killings Raids Assasinations Corruption

This organization is out to do one thing and one thing only, destabalize the world economy and cause a global wide economic crash, followed up by the immediate take over by their organization. They have agents and Meta-agents in the organization.

The Pentacle replaced DEMON. They had hiugh tech agents with guns while the upper echelon replaced the Morbanes wholesale with a number of powerful spellcasters and supernatural others.

The boss was the Warlock long time nemesis of the Protectors (GB);

next was the Swampwitch whose TK was a giant purple demon.

Count Karnak was a vampire who was destroyed in one encounter;

Phantasm who was a desolid figure astral projecting from his PC in Guildford;

The Mandrake who was like Floronic Man from the DC comics;

the Enchantress who had a wall of darkness which hid a demon of horrific power who clawed victims to death (special effect killing attack);

Master Spite. Originally a member of the Chemical Compound called Arsenic he was blown to pieces by the Great Alfonso who went Enraged. He traded his soul to get back at the team and killed the Great Alfonso;

Other members included Sister Strange, Baron Bedlam and Necropolis

The catch all organisation was VILE (Villains International League of Evil)

Practically anybody could be a member.

This organization is a whole week and a half old:

The Guild of Swords - this is an actual guild for people, a lodge of sorts for the public and the top members have high-technology easily equal to superheroes. Members may only join upon invitation. The hidden agenda is to nab super-powered technology or unique weapons by carefully inviting the unsuspecting member.

(A little help here requested: how can these guys steal away the technology and maybe even openly oppose the heroes and still not become known as criminal? As I said, it's a very new so I'm open to ideas.)

Well, a lot of super-technology is not in the public domain; it's secret and unpatented like Iron Man's armor, or perhaps stolen from another source like a supervillain or other criminal organization. Therefore it's not protected by law. :eg: If the Guild of Swords steals that character's technology it may be impossible for the hero to file charges against them without making his tech public, or revealing his secret ID, or bringing the original inventors of it down on his head.

To openly oppose the heroes, the Guild need only field operatives who are not known to be connected to the Guild, at least in any way that can be proven in court. Right now I'm thinking of supertech-equipped agents codenamed after various types of swords, perhaps related to their unique styles, or even region of origin: "Rapier," "Scimitar," "Katana" etc.

Of course if the Guild members have wealth and influence, they can always attack the heroes through more circumspect but completely legal channels: harrassing lawsuits, negative publicity, hostile takeovers of the heroes' financial assets, and the like.

and all of their gear disintigrates if handled by non PURITY members or kept away from PURITY agents for more than 1 minute. Makes studying the tech impossible :smirk:

Are you shure it is not sunligh that makes it deterorate? :winkgrin: