Sonics - tired power, need new ideas

Tech

After two heroes with sonic powers were created and equally gotten rid of in the past, I need fresh ideas for a hero with Sonic powers (most likely a female heroine to be created). I've seen Energy Blasts, bigger EB, smaller EB with reduced END, area effect EB, AP EB, and NND EB. I've also seen Forcewalls and Flash Hearing. :no:

Has anyone come up with creative powers for Sonic users? I've way expanded on creative uses with Water powers but Sonics, well... it must be my achilles heel. Can anyone give creative ideas for Sonic powers or even powers that have actually been used?

(Yes, I know about Le Sone/Ultrasonique and Howler).

:help:

Re: Sonics - tired power, need new ideas

Sonics as Mind Control, ala a siren's song.

And Angar the Screamer from Marvel Comics was able to induCe visual hallucinations with his screams, so images/mental illusions.

Summon animals (ultrasonic frequency).

Aid (song of inspiration, cat's purring [i always feel better when a cat is purring on me anyways])

Dispel/Suppress radio or communications.

I have built characters with sonic powers who have a kind of subsonic undertone to their speech, ala Frank Herbert's "Dune", which was purchased as extra PRE. Not quite mind control, but it can allow considerable influence, esp. when combined with PRE-based skills. And if the character is a performer in Secret ID, all the better to have a high PRE. One such character also could "focus" his speech so that it could be directed at a single person without anyone else being able to hear. This was bought as Telepathy with appropriate limitations.

Also consider Telekinesis, defined as a powerful standing wave that can levitate objects (heck if you can justify flight, surely you can justify TK).

I had a character with the following voice based powers, though these were more due to force of personality/divine power and the words he was speaking than due to raw sonics:

Herald of the Host: Summon

Confessions: Telepathy

Visions: Mental Illusions

Guilt: Ego Attack

Words of Inspiration: Succor

Words of Comfort: Aid/Healing

Words of Judgement: +PRE

Words of Deliverance: Teleport

My avian sonic blaster had a number of bird-themed sonic powers:

EB/RKA - typical sonic EB

NND vs. Hearing Flash Defense

Hearing Flash with Does Knockback - extra volume

1" Tunnelling through DEF x (for knocking holes in walls, etc.) - harmonic vibrations

Ranged DEX Drain - disorientation

Change environment - confusing echoes (limited to places capable of producing echoes)

Hearing vs. Images - Mimicry

Summon birds, speak with birds

Tyroc of the Legion of Super-Heroes is the only other sonic character with offbeat effects from his screams. He would scream some ridiculous sound/word and have weird things like plants growing wild and ensnaring people, teleportation, spinning a villain like a top. He'd have never made it past the write-up stage in most Champs games.

My own little fanfic theory was that he was actually possessed by an ancient shaman of his tribe (slaves whose transport ship went down near an island and they started their own culture there) who feared being harmed/captured by outsiders again, so he wove a spell to make the island undetectable and unreachable. Of course it pops back into Earth's dimension periodically, so he possesses a native when that occurs to re-weave the spell when necessary. Tyroc would be the possessee in the 30th century when the Legion encounters him, and while the youth DOES have sonic abilities, the oddball noises/words he utters are actually mystical chants or mantras the shaman knows. And voila, Tyroc has magical screams.

Sonic powers:

Brittle, or sympathetic vibrations, Ranged Drain PD... character sets up a sympathetic harmonic that causes the molecules of the target to vibrate, loosening their structural integrity.

Piercing Wail... Extremely annoying, piercing high pitched screetch that causes teammates to "snap out" of mental effects.... alternatively dispel mind control, mental illusions or mind control limited by "only for the purposes of degrading or overcoming another's mental power"

Ye Gawdz that's loud... a cacophony so loud and noisome that individuals in the immediate area can do nothing but clap their hands over their ears and pray that it goes away.... Entangle BOECV, transparent to physical attacks, works on Ego not Strength, limited power deaf, hard ear covers etc.

Alternatively... Mind control limited, implicit command "stand there, cover your ears and beg for mercy", non persistent, limited power, not deaf, hard ear covers etc. (probably the better construction really).

Opera anyone? .... EB explosion, indirect, target of opportunity (wherever glass is), explosion limited by quantity of glass.

Scramble thoughts... character emits constant barrage of piercing sounds which cause folks in the general area to occasionally lose focus... AoE Speed Drain.

Lullabye... EB NND, deaf et. al.. invisible power effects (i.e. it "sneaks up on you")

Shatter... Dispel HKA, limited power only rigid non-organic "foci" like metal/ceramic blades but not natural claws. Woe betide the weapon master's Independent Blade of Uberness.

Sonic Boom... EB, AOE double knockback (I know totally upside down on the physics, but whateva).

Tremor... creating sympathetic vibrations along a surface that magnify to great effect at the target... Telekinesis, Teleport UAA + position shift

Off the top of my head, I'm sure they're more.

Don't forget a Find Weakness based on careful analysis of the vibrations induced in an object ... non-destructive ultrasonic testing. Won't work on force fields/walls, most likely, but that still leaves a lot. (Hmm, BoloOfEarth got this ahead of me.)

Change Environment (the slippery floor thing, but in this case, it's a bouncing floor) inducing strong vibrations in the floor, so everyone falls down.

"That's so loud I can't hear myself think!" ... INT, PRE, EGO Drains, maybe even Suppress on mental powers. Heck, with the right vibration-induction you can Suppress machinery ("Hey! The car won't start!").

If you're really hokey, you could put together a sonic-based physical-only Force Wall by making the air molecules vibrate in phase (not allowing other material objects to pass through). The opposite effect, a limited-volume UAO Desolid where you induce a section of material to "phase out" temporarily by playing with the vibrations in the material, is also a possibility that's out at the hokey end.

Affects Desolid is a natural for sound-based powers with a lot of Desolid sfx.

And do NOT forget sonar. Simple Invisibility and Darkness turn ineffective.

Echo: The Cosmic Choir

Val Char Cost

43 STR 33

26 DEX 48

20 CON 20

12 BODY 4

18 INT 8

18 EGO 16

18 PRE 8

18 COM 4

14 PD 5

9 ED 5

5 SPD 14

13 REC 0

40 END 0

44 STUN 0

-------------------------

TOTAL CHARACTERISTICS: 165

Characteristic Rolls: STR: 18-, DEX: 14-, CON: 13-, INT: 13-, EGO: 12-, PER: 13-

Run: 6", Swim: 2", Jump: 9", Lift: 12.5 ton

Cost Powers END/Roll

EC: Cosmic Choir Birthright

30 60 pt Pool - LIM: Incantations (-1/4) / Restrainable (-1/2) / Noisy (-1/4)

> 42 Force Wall (10rPD/10rED - +2”high/+5”long) - 0 END (+1/2), No Range Mod (+1/2), Hardened

(+1/4) – 144 ap

> 31 Force Field (30rPD/30rED – Protects Carried Items) 0 END (+1/2) Hardened (+1/4) – 122 ap

> 24 6d6 Energy Blast - NND (+1) (vs. Flash Def Hearing or Hard Ear Cover), AOE Cone 12" (+11/4), 0 END (+1/2), Personal Immunity (+1/4) – 120 ap - LIM: No Range (-1/2)

> 30 16d6 Energy Blast – 0 END (+1/2) – 120 ap

> 31 Flight (30”) – Usable Underwater (+1/4), x4 Noncombat (+5pts), Position Shift (+5pts),

0 END (+1/2) – 122 ap

> 20 Sonic Constructs - Summon 30 pts (Four 150 pt constructs) – Any Type (+1), Slavishly Devoted (+1), 0 END (+1/2) – 140 ap - LIM: Solid Sound Objects/Creatures are Transparent (-1/4), Always Sparkling Silver & Black in coloration (-1/4). Solid Sound Objects are Vulnerable to Sonic Disruption (x2 BODY from Sonic Attacks/Sound Flashes do Body = Flash)

(-1/2)

>> 10 2d6 Flash vs. Hearing Group - AOE Cone - x6 Area (+13/4 = 12"), 0 END (+1/2) - 29 ap -

LIM: Incantations (-1/4) / Restrainable (-1/2) / Noisy (-1/4)No Range (-1/2),

Linked to NND (-1/2)

>>16 2d6 Energy Blast - NND (+1), Does Body (+1), AOE Cone - x6 Area (+13/4 = 12"),

0 END (+1/2) - 57 - LIM: Incantations (-1/4) / Restrainable (-1/2) / Noisy (-1/4), No Range, Linked to NND (-1/2), Only vs. brittle objects (-1)

Multi Power: Nega Bands

72 90 pt Pool – LIM Only In Hero ID (-1/4)

> 7 Photonic Energy Inundation - 6d6 Aid to Power Cosmic (Cosmic Choir EC) – Variable Effect = 2 Powers (+1/2) – 90 ap – Fixed Slot [9 END]

> 7 Photonic Energy Infusion - 6d6 Aid to Characteristics – Variable Effect = 2 Statistics (+1/2) –

90 ap – Fixed Slot [9 END]

> 7 Interstellar Travel - FTL (90 pts = 34 Light Years/Second) - 90 ap - Fixed Slot [9 END]

> 7 Cosmic Awareness - Perceive Everything: Detect Physical Objects, Energy, and Magic (INT Roll) (no Sense Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Sense, Targeting, Telescopic (+12 versus Range Modifier), Tracking, Galactic Scale (+15 pts) – 84 ap - Fixed Slot [8 END]

> 7 Energy Conversion – 10d6 Absorption vs. Energy Attacks - +80 Maximum = 130 Max, Absorbed energy goes to Nega Bands (END Battery) – 90 ap

> 3 Extra-Dimensional Movement to The Negative Zone - Any Location in Negative Zone (+5 pts), 16x Normal Mass (+20 pts) – 45 ap – LIM: Gestures = Must Clang Nega Bands Together. (Both Hands –1/2) – Fixed Slot [4 END]

15 Life Support, doesn't breathe, safe in vacuum/pressure, safe in radiation, safe in heat/cold,

LIM: Only In Hero ID (-1/4)

16 END Reserve (Nega Bands) – 100 END/10REC – 20 ap – LIM: OIHID (-1/4)

8 Instant Change – Cosmetic Transform 2d6, Costume into any clothing (Improved Target Group –1/4) – 12 ap - LIM: Gestures = Must Clang Nega Bands Together. (Both Hands –1/2) [1 END]

6 Unearthly Eyes – 8 pts Flash Defense – 8 ap - LIM: OIHID (-1/4)

8 Galactic Symphony – xx Mental Defense – 10 ap - LIM: OIHID (-1/4)

12 Echo Location – Active Sonar – 15 ap - LIM: OIHID (-1/4)

SKILLS

3 Combat Flying

3 Computer Programming

2 (KS) Titan

3 Navigaqtion

2 (SS) Science

PERKS

7 Computer Link (ISAAC)

TALENTS

3 Bump of Direction

3 Perfect Pitch

450+ Disadvantages

10 Reputation: Son of Genis-Vell (11-)

10 Distinctive Features: Cosmic Eyes (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20 Hunted: Magus 8- (More Powerful, NCI, Harshly Punish) http://www.leaderslair.com/marvelvillains/magus.html

10 Hunted: Entropy 8- (Occasionally) (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching) http://www.leaderslair.com/marvelvillains/entropy.html

10 Hunted: Thanos 8- (Occasionally) (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching) http://www.leaderslair.com/marvelvillains/thanos.html

15 Psychological Limitation: Driven to Redeem the Family Name of Vell (Common, Strong)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Believes the weight of the world, and perhaps the universe, is on his shoulders Common, Strong

10 Rivalry: Professional (Sister: Phyla-Vell), Rival is As Powerful, Superion (Older Sister), Seeks to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry

15 Social Lim: Secret ID

15 Social Lim: New to Earth, Frequent (11-), Major

0 Experience Points

Other Sonic Powers or at least Vibration powers:

Shifty.... Desolid based on the idea that the character vibrates his/her own molecules just out of phase with the object to be passed through, after all most of matter really is empty space.

Phase Shift .... Desolid usable as an attack... see above.

Animal Mimicry ... Mind Control, only animal class of minds, limited power only simple behaviors regarding instinctual calls e.g. the power could cause a herd of Water Bufffalo to stampede as that is an instinctual behavior that can be caused by a particular vocalization by a water buffalo, but could not cause a murder of crows to do so. Clear with GM relative to what kinds of things this can do, sort of like pre-generating a VPP.

Creepy Theatre Music.... Mind control, human class of minds, limited power "Be alert! Something is Awry!" operationally this is cause wariness/nervousness/jumping at shadows. Noisy.... alternatively a simple PRE and/or EGO drain.

Dispel Fire Powers, one at a time... okay, I admit it, I watched the Mythbusters episode, but it was kinda cool no? ... Character creates a series of low frequency vibrations that cause air movements which snuff flames.

Damsel in Distress... character creates the sound of a shrieking damsel in distress (far away) to plague other characters with hero complexes... Images, Sound only, limited "piercing female human scream in peril"

Compressed Air.... character sets up a series of vibration that cause the air to "bunch up" inhibiting flight during the duration thereof.... suppress flight.

Better Falling through Screaming.... character thickens the air by creating sympathetic vibrations in the air.... gliding only to reduce velocity, only downwards.

Zen Vibe... character absorbs vibrations... Invisibility to sonar.

Sound the Charge! ... character replicates appropriate martial sound (bagpipes, bugles, drums, Audey Murphy yelling "Follow Me!") to encourage his/her compatriots to feats of heroism and daring do in a fit of adrenalin boosted courage, which eventually fades..... Aid PRE, STR, STUN, CON, area of effect radius, selective. Alternatively, you could conceptualize it as an "instinctive sound" e.g. claws on rock or nails on chalkboard, that causes the adrenal gland to flood the system.

Tragic Harmonic... RKA NND, Does Body, Lim. power. only non-living, rigid structures e.g. steel, ceramic blades, bridges, extra time, gradual effect..... character sets up a reciprocating harmonic that causes rigid substances to shake themselves apart.

Devastating Harmony.... character forms a counter harmonic to another character's sonic powers.... Aid Sonic powers, any one power at a time lim. power. 1 phase only. (essentially my thought is that you could use Devastating Harmony to boost the next power used by the other character, but the points wouldn't stick around).

White Noise.... character forms a complex series of harmonics and counter harmonics that prevent persons within the area of effect from being heard... Darkness vrs. normal hearing.

Silence... Darkness vrs. normal hearing usable as an attack... see above

Dropsies.... character causes object in opponents hand to vibrate violently causing opponent to drop object... TK, whole object, only to grab, (lim. power only rigid non-living objects)

Amplify... character amplifies ambient sound so that others can hear... Parabolic hearing using by others, area of effect radius.... or change environment +4 to hearing perception rolls....

Counter harmonic shredding.... character issues forth a counter harmonic on a previously effected target to increase damage.... EB partially limited power, only vrs. targets previously struck.

Burn/Microwave.... character sets up an atomic harmonic, causing intense friction and heat in an inanimate object.... RKA, penetrating, armor piercing, lim. power. only versus rigid inanimate objects.

More to come as I think of them.

Do a google search on Sonoluminescence ... I posted a char a while back based on sound (With his own SonoCrawler, which used a soluminescent lance to tunnell through the earth) ..

If you're interested, KingTone is Here http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49579&highlight=Sonocrawler

-CraterMaker

Others...

Voice Mimicry.... shapeshift, imitate only voices

I Can't Hear Myself Think...So long as the character keeps up that infernal racket no one can think properly...... suppress INT, (optionally mental sense, mental powers generally) AOE, continuous

Cherokee listening to the ground trick.... character amplifies vibrations through the ground the hear what is going on in a distant locale.... Clairsentience, Audio only, Usable By Others (character turns the air into a speaker).

Sonic Cage... character sets up a field of extreme disharmony around the target.... RKA, Area Effect Explosion, Hole in the Middle.

Quivering Palm... by setting up cascading sympathetic vibrations in the targets body, extreme damage is done to internal organs.... HKA.

Reverb Rebalance.... by realigning the targets molecules into proper vibrational alignment the target is rendered "whole".... Healing (personally I'd go with PD, but it could work with Body, and maybe even Stun).

Sonic Leap .... with air splitting clarity, the screech of the character lessens air pressure immediately in front of him/her allowing superhuman leaps... Leaping.

Tell tale heart.... the character is so attuned to the beating of his/her close associates hearts, the rhythm of their breathing, etc. that he/she can find them at great distances by concentrating on the vibrations.... Mind Scan, only close associates, Cannot attack through link, (lim. power not available where target or character are in high vibration areas like piston factories etc.)... alternatively, and perhaps better Mind Link, only with others that have mind link, no LOS needed, or.... perhaps even better... Telepathy, Recieve only, Communication only, only limited information (location, general health status, general mood .... all told by the vibrations, heart and respiration rate)... worried about the LOS thing.

Shatter Missiles.... Missile Deflection, up through shrapnel,

Absorb Vibrations.... character absorbs and redirects vibrations used against him/her... Absorption (Energy? Physical? personally I think of sonic as physical, but YMMV) to Energy Blast.

Sexy Radio Voice.... + Pre, only for purposes of persuasion/seduction where target can hear, but not see.

**warning especially cheesy** Scrambling Quivering Palm... by using minute amounts of vibrational power, the character creates temporary handholds in the surface... Clinging.

Enhanced Senses: Parabolic hearing et. al.

Alternate Present... by vibrating self at hyper velocity, the character slips out of this reality into a concurrent parallel reality... Extra Dimensional Movement Parallel Present.

Shhh!... Invisibility to hearing... character absorbs all of the vibrations that would otherwise emanate from him/her.

Rumble.... character creates such tremulous ground that no one in the area can leap... Suppress Leap, Area of Effect.

Actually seems like a pretty cool collection of powers, and it would make sense to have a whole lot of them in a multipower with ultra slots; I mean depending on the SFX you really couldn't throw out more than one vibrational power at a time.

Just checked, if you include the cheese and the ones you started with, that's almost every power in the book. If you had it as "Vibrational" rather than strictly sonic, I could see putting in more of the defensive powers e.g. Vibrational Integrity... character keeps strict control of his molecules, hardening them instinctively against assault... Armor. or if it's under nominal conscious control ... Forcefield.

And that's about all I got.

Peace

Thanks Bolo!

I'm also tempted; y'know sometimes the inspiration just flows, so thanks to the OP for sponsoring the opportunity. I never really thought it'd run to such lengths, but looking back on it, I'm really proud of most of them (clinging excepted).

It's been fun.

Peace

P.S. from Jmoz; EB AVLD flash defense hearing. Sure it's kinda expected, but I hadn't thought of it specifically.

P.P.S. Clarity... character sets up counter harmonics to dispel white noise... Dispel Darkness vrs. hearing. (very important if you're going to take the Incantations limitation).

P.P.P.S. Jigger.... character causes subatomic vibrations which cause electrons to skip and alter their orbits... Transform (okay, flag on the field)

Defean.... character emits such penetrating sound it shatters the human ear drum.... Transform target to target with phys. lim. deafness heals back normally.

If you define the power as the ability to amplify and depress sound you get a broader range of potential abilities and might be able to use:

flash - hearing

darkness - hearing

invisibility - hearing group

clairvoyance - hearing group

telescopic sense - hearing

change environment - (affecting perception rolls for good or bad, or even causing damage in an area)

images - hearing

mimicry 20-

sonar

transform - hearing person to deaf person (mayhaps linked to an RKA)

I'm sure there are others.

Clonus,

Relative to curing "shattered ear drums" requiring a medical procedure. Sure probably, I'm no doctor. But you could think of it instead as a targeted micro fracture of the stirrup bone, which would heal on its own, if it were lucky enough to be set correctly etc.

Also remember, Body damage to the face would almost always require surgery in the real world, broken jaw, broken orbital bone, concussion, intercranial bleed, etc. But in the source material and the rules, characters get to heal at Recovery/Month. But if you wanted to have "ear surgery" as the immediate heal condition, I think that would be fine too.

Ah.. durn it, there was another one, but I just lost it.

Peace

I'll just sit here now with my tiny flag in the corner and say "Um...guys? Ultimate Energy Projector? UNTIL Powers books? Guys? Guys?"

Yes but two things come to mind for this forum:

1st and foremost) people may come up with stuff not covered in the books and

2nd) I don't have the cash to get those books right now. Ah, real life.. :thumbdown

There's been alot of great ideas and kudos to everyone. :)