WWYCD: The Nightmare on Hero Street

AdamLeisemann

Suddenly, all over the city, Heroes are dying mysterious deaths in their sleep, with all the scars and burns indicative of battle or outright murder. The most bizarre part is that when they went to bed, they were unmarred. Police are clueless, and it would seem that the heroes are largely helpless according to what's been happening so far.

And then, one night while you sleep, you see a mysterious man with a horrifying visage, and the following exchange occurs:

"Who are you?"

"I am your greastest fear, hero... I am The Nightmare!" And he lunges to attack you, leaving a nasty slash (yes, it even gets past any kind of invulnerability you may actually have). You struggle against him and tear off a part of his cape before something wakes you up (like maybe the cat in the real world jumps onto your belly, for example). Once you awaken, you have a peice of fabric in your hands, and a nasty set of cuts on you from the struggle.

What would your character do?

[NOTE: Obviously, we are dealing with a rip-off of Freddy Kreuger, only without the mirthfulness of all the really bad sequels. Of course, this is also a superhero world. If you have some way of bringing him to the real world, he might still have his powers. Just things to consider...]

Re: WWYCD: The Nightmare on Hero Street

Punchline is scarier than The Nightmare, which is a good thing. He would suppress The Nightmare's PRE until it was -30, and chase him down while he screams like a girl. He'd certainly try his BOECV entangle, and assuming that worked, he could find out whose nightmare it really was, after all.

In short: Kick his ass and take his wallet dreamside, then find him meatside and repeat same.

The Black Cat: Fights hard, dies anyway, I suspect. His curse might help him, but that's only a maybe. His luck might help him, but that's only a maybe, too.

Blackcat would find a way to project herself into the dreamworld, control it, and go after him. She's stubborn that way. And then she'd drag him to the real world, and thrash him.

Ballistic would set up some sort of dream spells to go off when he was asleep, to go after the guy.

Terminal Velocity would be in trouble. :)

Sift would respond not unlike Ballistic.

Angelfire (a half demon half angel) might try and fight him. She might also go a really different direction, and try and seduce him - which should calm him down some. (She's my 90's bad girl kind of character, she does that sometimes :o )

Meeb doesn't sleep, so the point is moot.

The Black Cat: Fights hard' date=' dies anyway, I suspect. His curse might help him, but that's only a maybe. His luck might help him, but that's only a maybe, too.[/quote']

Black Cat would find a way to project herself into the dreamworld' date=' control it, and go after him. She's stubborn that way. And then she'd drag him to the real world, and thrash him.[/quote']

Black Cats of the world unite.

Audra Blue sleeps while plugged into the computer network, where she can construct nearly any environment she wishes. She could deisgn programs during the day to assist her in a planned assault and defense against this thing, and trigger them whenever he appears in her sleep.

Hell's Angel will incinerate him. Problem solved.

Iron Maiden will kick his ass. It'll probably be a hard fought battle, but ultimately she will prevail.

Both Black Mask (male) and Wednesday (female), whose super-shtick is that the waking world IS a nightmare and he/she is a lucid dreamer, will do to HIM what he does to other people. They will turn the tables on him, chase him relentlessly, manipulating the environment to his disadvantage, terrorize and ultimately kill him.

To visit the First Ladies in their dreams is usually a bad idea.:D

Primadonna: Her newly developed power of transdimensional sonic blast (she discovered this effect during the encounter with some alien ghosts who were manipulating all figures of authority) would blow away the Nightmare.

Primaballerina: She is so strong willed and calm,because she meditates every evening; no one can enter her dreams.

Diva: "You are not my worst fear. That would be a day without shopping!

Now I will show you your greatest fear, believe me." Mind Blast coming!

Suddenly, all over the city, Heroes are dying mysterious deaths in their sleep, with all the scars and burns indicative of battle or outright murder. The most bizarre part is that when they went to bed, they were unmarred. Police are clueless, and it would seem that the heroes are largely helpless according to what's been happening so far.

And then, one night while you sleep, you see a mysterious man with a horrifying visage, and the following exchange occurs:

"Who are you?"

"I am your greastest fear, hero... I am The Nightmare!" And he lunges to attack you, leaving a nasty slash (yes, it even gets past any kind of invulnerability you may actually have). You struggle against him and tear off a part of his cape before something wakes you up (like maybe the cat in the real world jumps onto your belly, for example). Once you awaken, you have a peice of fabric in your hands, and a nasty set of cuts on you from the struggle.

What would your character do?

[NOTE: Obviously, we are dealing with a rip-off of Freddy Kreuger, only without the mirthfulness of all the really bad sequels. Of course, this is also a superhero world. If you have some way of bringing him to the real world, he might still have his powers. Just things to consider...]

Gaze-Gaze is a mentalist, trained in hypnosis, psychology, and with experience in mind vs mind combat against just this sort of attack. The Nightmare would find itself regretting very much coming into Gaze's head. Gaze couldn't go after him, but there's a very good chance Nightmare wouldn't escape without finding itself mentally transformed into a happy go lucky pixie that made tinkerbell look goth.

Millennium and Dolphin don't sleep. They would have to be told about this and go looking for this guy.

Cheeta and Snow Leopard are relatively unprepared for this type of thing, Cheeta would be SOL and Snow would have to rely on her regen.

Iron WIll will laugh, and say "Bub, you just made the worst, and last, mistake of your life. Or afterlife. Or undeath. Or whatever. In the real world, I'm a quadroplegic. Here, I'm a wizard with an attitude! You picked the wrong mage to [attack] in Dreamtime!"

Only he doesn't say "attack."

Iron WIll will laugh' date=' and say "Bub, you just made the worst, and last, mistake of your life. Or afterlife. Or undeath. Or whatever. In the real world, I'm a quadroplegic. Here, I'm a wizard with an attitude! You picked the wrong mage to [attack'] in Dreamtime!"

Hopefully, Iron Will would have the sense to *not* go running up to HTH range with the guy while blasting him with spells, unlike *another* dream-world wizard he's dealt with.... :rolleyes:

Void: Unless he caught on that it was a dream world *real* fast, he's in trouble - skilled martial artist he may be, but he's in Nightmare's realm now, and that means the rules are different.

Once he realized that, he's in much better shape; his willpower's enough to make it tough for Freddy-boy.

Outsider: Very, very short. Nightmare gets inside his head, screams, tries to get out, finds that the various beasties in there already aren't willing to lose their new plaything so quickly. :help:

Sparky: On the one hand, poor pup probably gets wasted. On the other hand... I can't help but think that the dream it would happen in would resemble Christine somewhat more than Nightmare on Elm Street.

Huntress: We saw this one in the third movie too, I'm afraid. :help:

Teep: If he got Mike fast enough, he could off him. As soon as Mike realized (1) that it's *his* head they're in and (2) this guy's playing serious, it would get very icky for Nightmare fast. After all... Teep's biggest problem is that he can't turn his mind control *off*. Inside his own head, and the Dreamscape, the biggest danger to him would be that he'd accidentally morph the 'scape into something that hurts him too.

Nova: his cosmic-level brick and energy-projector powers are willpower-based, so in all likelihood they work in Dreamtime, too. Unless Nightmare manages to shatter down his resolve or composure badly, Nova will administer him the beating of his life.

Elementalor: he's a mutant version of Xavi (teenager Super-Skrull), so it largely depends on whether his powers work in Dreamtime. It's a wild toss.

Bubble Baron would fall asleep with gum in his mouth out of paranoia and a strange kind of preparation.

Inside, he would channel all of the bad sequel's jokes to taunt Geddy Luger and show his ability to seep his wounds back together until he slaps a giant palm over Geddy and hopefully wakes up.

Once awakened, he would try to suppress the Dream Devil with bubble bombs and gumballs until his allies, the Fantastic Uniters, arrived.

Iron WIll will laugh' date=' and say "Bub, you just made the worst, and last, mistake of your life. Or afterlife. Or undeath. Or whatever. In the real world, I'm a quadroplegic. Here, I'm a wizard with an attitude! You picked the wrong mage to [attack'] in Dreamtime!"

Hopefully' date=' Iron Will would have the sense to *not* go running up to HTH range with the guy while blasting him with spells, unlike *another* dream-world wizard he's dealt with.... :rolleyes: [/quote']

First, he'll imagine that, unlike the real world, the rest of his powers aren't locked out when he summons his "imaginary friend."

Most of my heroes would be in trouble and have to go to a mystic or menatlist - like.....

Olorin, who would enter wherever the bad guy came from and wreak havoc. If he was really mad, he'd cast his "pain special" on the guy. It causes excruciating pain that woul leave you screaming in a second, except you can't scream; it hurts too much. It lasts a year. You cannot die in that year (even if you do not eat, etc.; it supports you), you cannot pass out, it does not lessen and you cannot withdraw into insanity. (For those who wonder, I came up with this before Harry Potter ever was written.) Volt has called it "Hell on earth." He is 747 years old and has cast it all of 4 times. He normally just kills the baddie.

Mister Nonsense: Oooh! Look, a fashionable scarf!

Shift: Huh. Maybe I do have a drinking problem.

Emerald Dragon: Let's see... what did the people in that movie do... that's right, they got an Oldsmobile and a bunch of hi-tech super soakers... wait... no, that's Ghostbusters.

October Raven: Pull him out with the bricks nearby.

Tetsuhana: Get a monk to purifiy the entire building.

Version One knows that his mind's kinda weird. He points out that he really doesn't have his own nightmares, he hasn't had time to develop any. So what this guy really is the nightmares of the guys whose memories he has. They're likely to be contradictory and probably about things that he doesn't find particularly scary (after all those guys didn't have regeneration and weren't proof against 9mm fire). So he reasons that he can probably take this guy. Plus if this is dreamland then he can call up Vibroman since many of the memories were originally his. Together they should be able to take him.

Icestar wouldn't really have much in the way of combatting this...I'm wondering though if she tried to use her powers in the dream realm, if Ymir could have more influence? (she draws on his power without actually realising it) Let this Nightmare dude face the King of the Frost Giants! ;)

Hmm, sounds interesting... for some of my guys.

Doremo -ki-adept & martial artist, he's got some ghost-killing moves and is quite familiar with the whole people lunge and try to cut you part of hand to hand combat. Assuming he's not caught unaware by some dream-manipulation ability he can't fathom, he's all over this guy like Jason Vs Freddy.

Thunderbolt- weather-manipulating brick with decades of experience and a large VPP of occult rituals and mystic artifacts. "A dream-demon, huh? I thought we sealed the last of you in the outer reaches of the Dreamzone back in '78. I take it you didn't notice the dreamcatcher on my dresser? Let's just say you aren't going to make for an entertaining novel like they did."

Gallant -doesn't sleep, may perceive something with Mental Awareness but he's likely stuck on research and sleep-watch for this one.

Kid Dynamo -only sleeps when he's human-bodied and his brain's still a computer-class mind. No dreams, no entry. Another for the "why robots are superior to meat-bags" list in his opinion.

Atlas- he's wide open to this kind of thing and if he's not lucky, may be visiting Tartarus shortly. I wonder if it's possible to punch your way out of the Greek underworld. He's strong enough to make Cerebus heel so we may just see. Nightmare would be smart to stay out of his three sister's dreams though. Alecto, Megaera & Tisiphone have more in common with the Erinyes than just names. This is just the kind of thing to go stirring up things better left sleeping.

Cyrande would be in trouble. deep trouble. Thankfully, the rest would likely wake her up before there was too much damage. Then again, her normal dreams would probably give this guy too much information.

Nox.... would be tracking this guy down and trashing him. Then again, she's a mage and no longer sleeps.

Artemis...Huh. I'm not sure.

Seer cannot tolerate anyone interfering in his mind. He doesnt believe any bunk about a Dream Dimension. Dreams are in hsi head, and as a Mentalist, his mind is his own domain. He conducts experiments in viewing the Dream as an illuson, and ways of manipulating it so he is in control, or is at least able to bring his powers to bear in a realistic function. If he can, he tries to find just where this presence is coming from via a Mind Scan. With a Psionic VPP, he'll cycle though the optiosn till he pins him down, or prepares for the nightly battle. He's not likely to seek help, but he's going to do his best to end this Nightmare..permanently.

Hornet goes immediatey to the team mentalis, Mind's Eye. He cosniders aiding minds eye by creating a virtual reality/dream interface, possibly seeing if he can get the entire team to interact.

Blaze.. sleeps a few hours a year (or is it longer..) so that's a looong time to plan. However, he uses this information to help his friends, and confront this Nightmare.

Soulbarb: Hogh powered -- can go without sleep for long enough to investigate, check her library, use her mystic contacts, whip up an appropriate spell or two, etc. Guy's toast. Low-powered version -- on the plus side she still has her library and mystic contacts for help, plus her affects desolid attack; on the downside she's much more vulnerable to mental attacks and can't yet bolster this with spells. She can probably still get the job done with help from friends, but it will be more touch-and-go.

Sylph: Runs screaming as far and as fast as she can, which doesn't work well in the dreamscape. Freddy catches up and starts wailing on her. She transforms to Maenad, and suddenly it's a new ball game. Maenad is pretty near immune to fear and has considerably more mental protection than Sylph does. I tend to think that Freddy will find himself dancing to her tune in fairly short order.

Suddenly, all over the city, Heroes are dying mysterious deaths in their sleep,

"I am your greastest fear, hero... I am The Nightmare!" And he lunges to attack you, leaving a nasty slash (yes, it even gets past any kind of invulnerability you may actually have). Once you awaken, you have a peice of fabric in your hands, and a nasty set of cuts on you from the struggle.

well, if the fabric was from one of his mother's old dresses, Zero would probably go stark-staring bonkers right there.

Vitus on the other hand, who react with considerable scepticism, whilst dodging the claws as best as he could. "Excuse me? Somebody with a bad rash and overgrown fingernails is my worst nightmare? You have been seriously misinformed, sir." And then deliberately run thru everything that IS his worst nightmare, pointing out that Kruger has just confirmed he's an illusionist anyway, and whilst Kruger goes 'Um" make him eat his own claws, the long way around.