What was Marvel's WORST decade?

FenrisUlf

Okay,I asked for the best, now for the rest!

Just what decade or other time period saw, in your opinion, the very worst stories coming out from Marvel Comics, and what made it the worst?

I think it was the 90's for me, when everyone was toting a honking big gun, and it seemd like about half the classic characters were being replaced by 'new guys' who lasted just long enough to win the undying hatred of the fans. I think that even the Hulk was toting a great big gun around for a while.

Probably the worst I can remember would be Thunderstrike-Thor, who used a gun in preference to Mjolnir (because hey, it's not like the hammer of Thor is any great weapon), and then when Thor replaced the replacement, Thundy gets his very own Mjolnir (how many faux Mjolnirs are there in the Marvel-verse, anyway? Beta Ray Bill has one, Thunderstrike had one, I can recall a few others... it sorta ruins the whole 'uniquely powerful weapon' idea after a while). And, in his own comic, who does Thunderstrike fight? Carjackers, America's greatest menace!

Sad. Just sad.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What was Marvel's WORST decade?

For me, it was the 90s as well, New Warriors and Nomad rocked (God bless Fabian), and there was a cool Deathlok by McDuffie but the rest had me wincing. The Clone Saga happened during the 90s. I need say little more.

HOWEVER, I am told there is much I missed in the latest part of the 90s that wasn't that bad, or even good. I wouldn't know. By that time, I gave up and didn't come back till the century turned.

Of course, now , after Civil War and One more Day, I dropped Marvel again. I'll keep track of spoilers on websites and see if it returns to something I like, but for now, I'm more interested in DC, and a friend shares her Dynamite comics with me.

I'd say the 90's as well.

Spiderclone

Gambit's "secret"

Stupid X-men stories

Bad Avengers stories

Crappy art work

Too much Wolverine (yeah I said it, got a problem with that?)

Gun-totting, needing to shave, leather clad, "bad asses"

BUT...

House of M and Civil War did make it a tough choice.

By the way Hermit if you keep saying good things about Fabian and the New Warriors I just might develop a man-crush.

Okay,I asked for the best, now for the rest!

Just what decade or other time period saw, in your opinion, the very worst stories coming out from Marvel Comics, and what made it the worst?

I think it was the 90's for me, when everyone was toting a honking big gun, and it seemd like about half the classic characters were being replaced by 'new guys' who lasted just long enough to win the undying hatred of the fans. I think that even the Hulk was toting a great big gun around for a while.

I would say it started in the late 80s or whenever Marvel started rehashing the Tony Stark medical problems and Armor Wars II. And from what I've seen, things haven't gotten any better.

I'm going to have to go with the 90s.

Gimmick covers, every character has a gun and a vest, the 'death' of Reed Richards, 2099, the Clone Saga, Mutants Mutants MUTANTS!, X-Overload, etc.

This decade is close, but it's largely a result of bad judgment and the sales are solid. The 90s were a result of NO judgment and it helped to nearly kill an industry.

I'm going to have to go with the 90s.

Gimmick covers, every character has a gun and a vest, the 'death' of Reed Richards, 2099, the Clone Saga, Mutants Mutants MUTANTS!, X-Overload, etc.

This decade is close, but it's largely a result of bad judgment and the sales are solid. The 90s were a result of NO judgment and it helped to nearly kill an industry.

Yup, ditto what Log said. Not to mention crossovers, crossovers, crossovers. If you read X-Men, you were FORCED to pick up X-Force, New Mutants, X-Calibur, X-whatever in order to get the full story. :rolleyes:

Yup' date=' ditto what Log said. Not to mention crossovers, crossovers, crossovers. If you read X-Men, you were FORCED to pick up X-Force, New Mutants, X-Calibur, X-whatever in order to get the full story. :rolleyes:[/quote']

That stinks too.

And when did Marvel start their yearly events that crossed over into every annual being published? Evolutionary War, Atlantis Attacks, etc? It got tiresome trying to get all those annuals to read one blasted story.

I think the answer is that after the early eighties, EVERY Decade has had the same answer to that question.

And it's always "This one."

The Ultimate Line, where all villains, for the most part, are just straw men to be beaten up and killed by the so-called Heroes, is but a minor example of this.

While everything after One More Day has been good, the PRICE of those classic stories was not worth the cost.

The lesson of "The Price is Too High" should apply to the characters, not to comic books itself. And the problem is, because history is rewritten, nobody KNOWS that.

My issue with this is as follows:

What would happen if YOUR GM did this to you? Imagine that your characters are seated around a table.

Spidey: Mr. Mephisto, I think we should make a deal.

Iron Man: WTF? And I thought >I< had been a supervillain four times over.

Doctor Strange: This is NOT a place you want to go.

Captain America: Hkkt. (Still Dead)

Luke Cage: !@#$%@!!!!!!

Iron Fist: You !@#$%%! We're screwed.

Etc...

GM: Okay. None of you remember that Spider Man was married. In fact, he never WAS married. Iron, you never had four physical confrontations with him, remove those experience points from your sheet. EVERYONE treat him as a single guy, and nobody knows who he is.

NOW....Stop again.

Imagine that the player went and did that in secret, and all you have is the message the GM gave above.

I would bet you MONEY that at least four out of six players would walk away.

THAT'S why this is crap. Do people want to play superhero games? Sure. But this kills that business like nothing else.

The Ultimate Line' date=' where all villains, for the most part, are just straw men to be beaten up and killed by the so-called Heroes, is but a minor example of this. [/quote']

Complaining that the Ultimate line is too gritty is kinda like complaining that the Marvel Adventures line is for kids. Yup, it's gritty. That's the whole point -- it's an entirely separate line from the regular 616 Universe, and it's meant to be darker. In that context, a lot of the Ultimate stories have been very, very good.

That said, the current problem (IMHO) is that they let the writers from the Ultimate lines crossover and write the mainstream titles, effectively "Ultimating" the MU. I'd be much happier if they kept them completely distinct.

That said, the current problem (IMHO) is that they let the writers from the Ultimate lines crossover and write the mainstream titles, effectively "Ultimating" the MU. I'd be much happier if they kept them completely distinct.

Yeah. When the Avengers in 616 ended up darker than the Ultimates is when I stopped buying it.

Imagine that the player went and did that in secret, and all you have is the message the GM gave above.

I would bet you MONEY that at least four out of six players would walk away.

Actually, I think the metagaming aspect would kick in, and the players would try to find ways for their characters to "investigate" something they wouldn't actually know wasn't "wrong" in their (revised) world. The players themselves would treat it as a mystery to be solved.

That said, I agree OMD was an incredibly stupid thing for Marvel to do. But after Civil War (and the Clone Saga, and... need I go on?) this seems to be "business as normal" at the House of Ill-Conceived Ideas.

"Okay, Joe, here's the new Spiderman concept. When the dying Peter Parker bit the Punisher, his spider powers were transferred. Knowing that the world can't get by without Spidey, Punny dons the red and blue costume to fight crime. Here..." (flips down drawings) "...is the new look. Note the number of ammo pouches, which he will need for this .50 caliber BFG he carries..."