Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

I think that you are thinking of Mole Sauce' date=' not chipotle.[/quote']

It's something I learned less than a week ago, so I am not surprised I got it wrong. Now I have to get a bottle of mole sauce to go along with the bottle of Chipotle sauce I bought last week. Luckily, La Victoria, a hispanic supermarket, is just up the street and around the corner from where I live.

Chocolate is one of the "secret ingredients" in many recipes for Cincinnati Chili. Generally you add unsweetened cocoa powder to the spice mix. Cinnamon is also frequently included.

Chocolate in its natural state is not sweet at all. When it first came to Europe is was drunk unsweetened much the same way people drink black coffee. The use of chocolate in candy, and the drinking of sweetened cocoa products, is a more recent innovation.

In college I used to order a sandwich that was at the core three cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss, Monterey Jack), alfalfa sprouts, and guacamole. You had your choice of bread; I always liked it on a baguette. I also added lettuce, tomato, mayo, and mustard.

Another sandwich I liked was grilled eggplant and Portobello mushroom with Swiss cheese, served on a bun.

I'll take your word for it. I've never been a fan of salty and sweet together (I won't touch chocolate-covered pretzels' date=' for example).[/quote']

If you ever go to Holland, don't try something you'll find there called "Drop" (it's pronounced with a long 'o'). It's licorice, some of which is salted. Strange stuff.

If you ever go to Holland' date=' don't try something you'll find there called "Drop" (it's pronounced with a long 'o'). It's licorice, some of which is salted. Strange stuff.[/quote']

My dad absolutely loves licorice, and it's hard to find stuff he really likes and can eat these days. When I found a bulk store that had a variety of licorices available, I thought I struck the jackpot. One day they had a new one: double salted licorice. Even he thought that was over the line and we never got a second batch of it.

Yesterday I made potato salad for our Memorial Day dinner (sausages on rolls, watermelon also figured in the meal). It isn't anything out of the ordinary (boiled potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, celery, sweet onion, kosher dills; the dressing is mayo, mustard, and a generous amount of ground black pepper well mixed), but I only make it about once a year. We didn't eat it all, so hopefully there'll be some left for tonight.

I drove the half-hour to the Boutique that has the amazing cupcakes. I thought for a minute on how many to get, then said blank it, SIX ! I also picked up a few white chocolate pretzels which must be kept secret from OddHat. At least I didn't buy the two birthday cupcakes that had specially sweet frosting. Besides the plain chocolate covered pretzels which I bought they also have ones with nonpareils or mini Reeces Pieces or colored jimmies stuck to them. Those really belong on this thread. So does the extra-large chocolate, pretzel, candy and sweet drizzle pizza.

Mole varies a lot. My son tries it at every Mexican restaurant we try, and there are huge differences in what he gets. I never tried it when I was closer to Mexico, so I have no idea what it's supposed to be like ... and I suspect it varies wildly through Mexico.

There are a bunch of different types of mole, cocoa based seems the most prevalent , there are also pumpkin seed based ones, and depending on the peppers and herbs used they can run from yellow to red to brick to brown. they are all good in their own ways, as long as they are not burnt (the very first one i tried was....2 am downtown Chicago...half drunk so ya it was burnt , had nothing to do with my state)