Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

All of you naysayers have been declared in my new Church of the Blessed Venezuelan Street Vendor Burger.

We have the best communion ceremony ever.

"This just in, another fringe cult committed mass suicide today, when all members perished of simultaneous heart attacks following their communion ceremony. Details at 11."

If anybody ever figures out how to use cholesterol as a petroleum substitute' date=' then the USA has it made.[/quote']

Well, Biodeisel is made from fats (cooking oils). The only problem with it is that it costs as much energy and time to covert it as you get from burning the stuff, making it impractical in the long-term.

Then there's this stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl

and its cousin lutefisk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

Nothing says good eatin' like the overpowering reek of ammonia...

Ah, lutefisk. Just in time for the holidays...

[To the tune of "Tannenbaum"]

Oh Lutefisk, Oh Lutefisk,

How strong is your aroma.

You put me in a coma.

You look so strange, you smell like glue,

You taste just like an overshoe.

I think I'll eat you anyway.

:D

Well' date=' Biodeisel is made from fats (cooking oils). The only problem with it is that it costs as much energy and time to covert it as you get from burning the stuff, making it impractical in the long-term.[/quote']

This is mostly true for ethanol from corn and other "feed stock", because current extraction methods are pretty wasteful and need high energy starting material. This is not so true for biodiesel, which is able to use a wider variety of oils, including waste oil, and doesn't require as much processing as ethanol. There is also research into converting cellulosic matter, from the stalks and other waste, into ethanol (and other fuels).

It is clearly not a waste of energy to grow oilseed and extract the fat, because it was invented ten thousand years ago, and our Neolithic ancestors, they knew marginal economies. And any oil sufficiently pure for human consumption can go in a Diesel engine, or, failing that, a steam plant.

It is basically the same game those Neolithic guys started, only with tractors instead of slaves and oxen; which I suspect to be an improvement.

It is clearly not a waste of energy to grow oilseed and extract the fat, because it was invented ten thousand years ago, and our Neolithic ancestors, they knew marginal economies. And any oil sufficiently pure for human consumption can go in a Diesel engine, or, failing that, a steam plant.

It is basically the same game those Neolithic guys started, only with tractors instead of slaves and oxen; which I suspect to be an improvement.

One of the big questions is how much fuel is burned by the tractors tilling the ground, seeding the ground, pulling the irrigation pipe around, and finally harvesting the plants. Then, there are the questions of how much water, fertilizer, and pesticide is sprayed around, and whether the energy, water, fertilizer, and pesticide would be better spent growing plants we could eat. This is why corn isn't really a good choice as a source of ethanol, and why marginal crops like jatropha are being investigated, along with using the waste products of processing plants for human or animal consumption.

One of the big questions is how much fuel is burned by the tractors tilling the ground' date=' seeding the ground, pulling the irrigation pipe around, and finally harvesting the plants. Then, there are the questions of how much water, fertilizer, and pesticide is sprayed around, and whether the energy, water, fertilizer, and pesticide would be better spent growing plants we could eat. This is why corn isn't really a good choice as a source of ethanol, and why marginal crops like jatropha are being investigated, along with using the waste products of processing plants for human or animal consumption.

Corn may not be the best choice, but the ethanol "boom" such as it is has given the government in the US a great excuse to subsidize corn growers....

How about a 6,000 calorie "Gut-Buster" meal?

The £75 four-course feast is honouring the exploits of adventurer Sir Ernest Shackleton.

He tried, unsuccessfully, to become the first person to reach the South Pole a century ago.

The gut-busting grub includes pork scratchings, a 20oz steak and a thick stew called "hoosh".

This is all washed down with wine, beer and an ice cream shake.

The meal, offered at the Green Door Bar and Grill in London, contains the recommended amount of calories a grown woman should eat in three days.

It represents the amount that a seven-strong British team hoping to complete Shackleton's failed journey to the South Pole must eat each day to maintain their strength.

I can't recall who said this first' date=' but without the Iowa primary, there would be no federally-supported corn biodiesel subsidy. Period. It is pander politics at its worst.[/quote']

MY COUNTRY 'TIS OF THEE...SWEET LAND OF SUBSIDY~!!! :doi:

Not only are they edible, they can be burnt in steam boilers, and their eggs are delicious!*

(Write me now for your breeding penguin pair and get in on the growth industry of the 2010s!)

*Don't ask me where I read that bit about burning penguins in boilers, although it was part of my occasional obsession with Kerguelen Land, if that helps.** I made the part about the eggs up.

**Also, don't ask me to clean the boilers after. Bleah.