What's in the moon?

Utech

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What's in the moon?

Hmmmm, the moon is associated with madness and lycanthrope plus its phases are influential in the workings of magic...

The remnants of a weapon or other artifact from an early battle with Qliphotic entities while the universe was still forming...

It's part of why so many humans develop meta-abilities and so many alien races seem to care about an otherwise obscure rock orbiting a yellow sun...

(I wonder if I can fit this properly into one of my current story lines...)

Why can't something from the Moon be inside Earth' date=' too?[/quote']

It can! What were you thinking of?

Many thanks to all who have responded so far. Some silly answers (which I appreciated for a good laugh) and a few really thought-provoking ones.

Hmmm...an alien species (Greys) using the moon as a forward observation base. The resting place of the gods after their fall from power in millenia past (Valhalla for the Norse forex). A core of lightweight metal that will be fought over as humankind reaches for the stars, Duranium alloy leaps to mind. Cthlulu type creatures biding their time until the world ends.

Here would be the ultimate surprise:

The crust is one kilometer thick and under that is nothing - just a vacuum

No not just a vacuum but a black whole. Long ago an ancient race had mastered how to control the energy provided by black-holes. On both the Micro and macro scale. So when they established new colony worlds, like prehuman earth they would build a giant generator next door that would be capable of powering all the planets needs until this side of eternity. But sadly the empire fell. Plagues, uprisings, wars all nipping away until they finally collapsed.

The peoples of Sol System 3 were ordered to evacuate and return home. And in the urgency of the return they had no way of stopping the generator and bringing it back with them. So they decided to set it up to auto destruct. Taking with it the colony so that no technology of theirs could be used against them in the war. With this belief in mind they set it to blow and left. But shorty after they leave a massive asteroid slammed into it. It can normally take on direct hits but the size of this one was to great. The countdown was terminated.

Consequently the asteroid that hit the moon knocked out most of it self maintenance systems as well. What was left of the asteroid then collided with the Earth causing one of the great extinctions.

Now millions of years later the systems have fallen into such disrepair that it can no longer control its own security protocols. The containment field is failing. Gravitons are escaping and causing immense havoc on Earth; average tidal waves become Tsunami's, compasses freak out as the black hole's magnetic field starts to show itself.

The world is in chaos as no one can figure out what is going on. Everyone in the higher ups is preparing for a massive invasion thinking it must be a prelude. But [insert name here], the team Science wiz realizes what everyone else overlooked. The disturbances are coming from the moon.

Upon further investigation they realize only in the nick of time (hopefully) that the moon is going to collapse and take Earth with it. Can they stop the collapse in time? Will they be able to navigate the long lost high tech devices of eons past? If they can will this end the worlds energy requirements or will it just lead to a constant war over control of the moon? Maybe the Heroes neglect to tell the world of the moons potential because they know humanity is not ready for the power?

PLOT,

La Rose

Planet Buster

Ooh. We could take a page from the Beast Wars series.

The moon as we know it is not actually a moon. The surface is actually a part of a disguise by the super intelligent aliens who built it. It is actually a moon sized weapon with the power to destroy a full planet once it has charged to full power. The aliens intend to use it on earth when one of two events occur. One, when they feel the earth has fulfilled the purpose of their experiment that they have set it up to use it for. Two, some outside force, such as another alien race, has influenced earth, causing the beings to feel that their experiment is contaminated, and thus must be destroyed so they can start over.

More seriously' date=' if I were going to have people digging on the moon, I'd probably either have them find a monolith or the cthulhoid "watchdog" from Warren Ellis' run on [i']The Authority[/i].

The Warren Ellis thing was the first thing that popped into my mind too... :)

Steampunk dinosaurs are my favourite so far....

A weird ecosystem of geothermal lifeforms that have never seen light, but will geyser out into cis-lunar space the moment someone drills down the deep layers of saturated rock.

A larval Outer God? (tip of the hat to the late Keith Herber)

Pure anti-cheddar

An infinitely long corridor intersecting multiple realities

AOL discs

a giant Tazo.

The Voyager probe....

.... and I'm out of ideas, and need more sleep. Or caffeine.