6E Rules changes confirmed so far

Re: 6E Rules changes confirmed so far

I liked the concept behind TORG better - the world setting and why it worked that way - than Rifts, which was sort of generic. Almost everything in my opinion works better with Hero, but I'm always finding new and interesting concepts in other games that I import to my game, like the career path and goal ideas from Aces & Eights.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you learned that you were unable to make Rifts work in Hero. That doesn't mean that others can't make it work.

No offense meant, I'm sure, or taken. I've just found that 250 is just about perfect to make a cyberknight, crazy, juicer, borg or mage, and you can do a Glitterboy or even a Coalition mook with scads of toys and vehicles on that many points. You can still make a dragon but not so powerful that the game turns into Dragon and his surly Sidekicks, a problem in RIFTS IMO RAW.

HERO is renowned for being all about superheroes but I've found it really shines in crazy genre mash-up games.

I'm not sure that there's any distinction (real or imagined) in 6E between Primary and Secondaries if they're all starting with a base number even if those base numbers are different. Seems to me the system just increased to 17 Characteristics - more if any of the old Characteristics (such as DEX) have been split.

Yeah, and they had the nerve to say Comeliness was cluttering up the character sheet. If that wasn't so damned funny, I'd cry.

Yeah' date=' and they had the nerve to say Comeliness was [i']cluttering up the character sheet.[/i] If that wasn't so damned funny, I'd cry.

Did Steve say it was cluttering up the character sheet? I don't remember seeing him state it anywhere.

I'm not sure that there's any distinction (real or imagined) in 6E between Primary and Secondaries if they're all starting with a base number even if those base numbers are different. Seems to me the system just increased to 17 Characteristics - more if any of the old Characteristics (such as DEX) have been split.

Don't forget Running, Leaping and Swimming, and possibly a size stat, which would raise the number of stats on the left hand side of the sheet to 20 or 21.

Did Steve say it was cluttering up the character sheet? I don't remember seeing him state it anywhere.
I don't think Steve ever said that. It was certainly implied, if perhaps not explicitly stated, by some of the anti-COM advocates in the 6E Characteristics thread.

Think of it this way: He has 12 players. If each of them has two disadvantages with just an 11- frequency' date=' which is a bit over half the time, then he's got 12 disadvantages in play, having an impact on the characters, every session. Now, I'm a fan of Mattingly's work, and maybe he could do that and make it look organic to the plot, but I'm betting he doesn't actually follow the frequencies that closely.[/quote']

With a dozen players in my game (actually down to ten now, since two recently moved away, although one of the remaining players have five very distinct multiforms), winning and losing aren't as important as "screen time." To me, Disads are just another aspect of involving a character in a story.

I might use two characters' enemies and another DNPC in a subplot, and make sure that someone else's vulnerability or weakness comes into play because of some environemtnal factors or other intents. I might look at the characters' skills and choose to involve both the astronomer and the archaeologist in a plot involving runes of ancient star alignments, then have them talk to the mage about their occult meanings. The players will find ways for their own powers to shine - I'm there to make sure there's enough for them to do when they're not in a fight.

Disads aren't the boss of the GM; they're his employees.

First post of the characteristics thread in the 6th ed forums

Q: Should COM be removed as a Characteristic?

Steve’s Thoughts: I think that it should, and I intend to do so unless someone comes up with a good counterargument that I find convincing. COM doesn’t do anything at all in game terms, unlike all the other Characteristics. It can be fun, but it’s not worth cluttering up the character sheet. It makes more sense to eliminate it (and its annoying 1/2-point cost) and replace it with a Talent, Beautiful/Handsome, that’s defined as Interaction Skill bonuses in certain situations (and naturally there’d be a variant form called Ugly ).

Emphasis mine. To be fair the connotation of that statement can be take in different ways.

RJCurrie Steve Long is a big boy' date=' he doesn't need you leaping in to his defense constantly, does he?[/quote']

Well, as it turns out I was wrong. My point, had I been right, was going to be that it wasn't the person who referred to COM cluttering up the character sheet who added the new Characteristics. But I was wrong.

Might be time for a walk around the virtual block for us all perhaps.

uh, yeah.... Given Simon's warning and the general redundancy of the discussion I think I'm gonna unsubscribe from this. I've stated my piece based on what I know for now.

JG

uh, yeah.... Given Simon's warning and the general redundancy of the discussion I think I'm gonna unsubscribe from this. I've stated my piece based on what I know for now.

JG

But yeah guys, we should drop any talk of COM and not get too heated about things.

But yeah guys' date=' we should drop any talk of COM and not get too heated about things.[/quote']

Rats. Just when I was about to present a well thought out and absolutely air-tight argument in favor of COM. ;)

It's been mentioned in this thread that perhaps the confirmed changes to 6th Edition could have been presented in a more marketting-oriented approach. Since my job as a technical witer occasionally requires me to write marketting material, I thought I would take a shot at writing something similar to a press release in style. So, without further ado, here it is:

Hero System Sixth Edition Features Revealed

During a pair of recent online chats with fans , Hero Games Line Developer Steve Long revealed various aspects of the company’s upcoming Sixth Edition of their classic Hero System role-playing game.

New features revealed included:

• “Toolkitting” notes throughout the rule books will describe optional rules that can be use to customize the Hero System to fit the needs of players and GMs.
  • An updated selection of Powers, including some that are brand new, lets players build even more diverse characters.
  • Adjustment Powers have been reworked to improve their flexibility and playability.
  • The STUN Multiplier for Killing Attacks has been modified to be a simple ½d6 to better position them as Attacks which deliver increased BODY but reduced STUN. In a related change, targets of a Killing Attack can apply their full PD or ED, as appropriate, against the STUN of that attack regardless of whether or not they have any resistant defenses.
  • All movement and distance measurements are now in meters to improve mapless play while still allowing the use of maps and miniatures, if desired.
  • A new Talent Striking Appearance will replace the Comeliness Characteristic. This new Talent, which can purchased multiple times to represent varying degrees of physical appearance, is designed to increase the game effects of such appearances.
  • Four new Characteristics make it easier to create characters with differing offensive and defensive capabilities in both physical and mental combat and to create powers that can directly affect a character’s Combat Values.
  • Mandatory links between Characteristics have been eliminated. All Characteristics are now purchased independently and several Characteristics have been rebalanced and re-priced to reflect this change.
  • Leaping is now purchased independently from Strength.
  • Some Skills have been modified.
  • Improved Advantage handling includes a new more granular approach that improves the flexibility of many Advantages.
  • The Damage Shield Advantage has been modified.
  • A new Limitation named Unified Power replaces Elemental Controls. Unlike Elemental Controls, there will be no restrictions on what it can be applied to.
  • New names for several game elements make their roles clearer. The Seduction Skill has been renamed Charm; Package Deals have been renamed Templates; and Disadvantages have been Complications. In a similar vein, Psychological, Physical, and Social Limitations have been renamed Psychological, Physical, and Social Complications.
  • Increased reach for larger-than-normal beings and weapons has been simplified.
  • The rules for adding damage from Strength and other sources have modified to make them easier to use during play.
  • Suggested starting points for all genres and sub-genres have been increased to let players take full advantage of all Hero System 6th Edition features.
  • Each of the two full color hardcover Hero System 6th Edition core rule books will feature a full index that covers the contents of both books.

In addition, Mr. Long also revealed that various popular elements of the 28 year old game system would be remaining:

• The basic 3d6-roll-for-success mechanic remains, and it will continue to be "roll-low."
  • The Speed Chart which regulates combat will remain unchanged and movement will continue to measured per phase.
  • Perception will continue to be INT-based.
  • Skill rolls will continue be based on (Characateristic/5), but an optional “Toolkitting” note will describe alternate methods of calculating Skill rolls.
  • Energy Blast and Killing Attack will still be separate forms of damage.
  • Strength will continues to add to Hand-To-Hand Killing Attack damage.
  • Mulipowers and Variable Power Pools remain as Power Frameworks.

Might be time for a walk around the virtual block for us all perhaps.

I tried to send us all on a little RIFTS break. It worked for about a page and a half. And the lack of interest definitely slowed the growth of this forum monstrosity!

I just don't understand the attractiveness of COM. (someone had to say it :o)

Don't forget Running' date=' Leaping and Swimming, and possibly a size stat, which would raise the number of stats on the left hand side of the sheet to 20 or 21.[/quote']

Yeah, I'm actually hoping for a SIZE stat, would make growth and shrinking easier. In five editions never thought we got that one quite right.

"Just when I think I'm out they suck me back in!"

I just don't understand the attractiveness of COM. (someone had to say it :o)

Lets not go that road again. Some people like it, others don't. Frankly the seemingly constant "I don't understand how you could like this like its some bizarre alien ritual and mental aberration to have liked the stat feel both a little insulting, baiting and rubbing salt in a wound, admittedly a small one but a wound none the less Just accept there is no accounting for taste. It's officially gone from 6th edition, will not trouble your games anymore with its existence and, hopefully will be cast onto the trash heap of history like all other objectively bad ideas. Com is dead, long live Striking Appearance. (sarcasm)