Post "gotchas" here

Chris Goodwin

Re: Post "gotchas" here

To me' date=' CM made it impossible to price skill levels. At 5 points (in 5e) for +1 to all INT or PRE skills, clearly it was better to just buy the characteristic. But if the characteristic cost were doubled, less than 5 points would be a huge bargain. So the choice became "overprice them for games without CM or underprice them for games with CM'.[/quote']

Which may well have been one of the motivations to make CM explicitly optional. I have no firm knowledge, however; only speculation.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which may well have been one of the motivations to make CM explicitly optional. I have no firm knowledge' date=' however; only speculation.[/quote']

Wasn't CM already optional? I mean, I don't remember anything in 5ER stating Heroic level games had to use it, and any GM could disallow it as a Disadvantage for Superheroic level games.

The End of an End Reserve is actually more expensive now than personal End' date=' but the Rec of an End Reserve is still less expensive. :nonp:[/quote']

The END of an END reserve is more expensive because it is more useful. It doesn't go away when you get Knocked Out. The REC of an END reserve is less useful than regular REC because it doesn't recover Stun, only the END of the reserve.

Wasn't CM already optional? I mean' date=' I don't remember anything in 5ER stating Heroic level games [i']had[/i] to use it, and any GM could disallow it as a Disadvantage for Superheroic level games.

Yup. There's a line in FH 2nd edition (for 4th/BBB), where it says that NCM should be used for most campaigns, but there's nothing there, or in the 4th edition rules that says you have to use it.

JoeG

HS5eR, p. 25: "Heroic characters are typically subject to the Normal Characteristic Maxima rules, which restrict their ability to buy Characteristics: beyond a certain point, they have to pay double cost to improve their Characteristics. They do not receive Disadvantage

points for this."

HS5eR, p. 32: "...Normal Characteristic Maxima, applies only to Heroic campaigns; usually it acts as a “default” for the campaign and does not count as a Disadvantage."

So, in 5eR, CM was not explicitly mandatory for Heroic campaigns, but the language used implied heavily that CM in Heroic campaigns was an assumed standard. However, 6E1-49 is explicit in declaring CM to be optional for any campaign, Heroic or Superheroic. It is also explicit (where 5eR was not) in indicating that CM is setting-wide, and not a dividing line between non-super and super characters in a Superheroic setting. (By the way, 4e explicitly stated the opposite of the latter...)

The END of an END reserve is more expensive because it is more useful. It doesn't go away when you get Stunned. The REC of an END reserve is less useful than regular REC because it doesn't recover Stun' date=' only the END of the reserve.[/quote']

Normal END doesn't go away when you get Stunned. It goes away when you get Knocked Out. Typo?

Or a conflation of ideas:

END Reserve doesn't go away when KOed and

Powers that draw off an END Reserve continue to function when Stunned or KOed.

Yep, it used to be a rather inexpensive way to get a seni-Persistent effect :whistle:

Haven't actually stooped to analyze how the costs balance out no...

Yep, it used to be a rather inexpensive way to get a seni-Persistent effect :whistle:

Haven't actually stooped to analyze how the costs balance out no...

It'd be a pretty tough analysis to do since there's a practically unlimited number of combinations for Number of Powers, Active Costs of Powers, END Reserve Sizes and Recovery of END Reserves.

You can now activate multiple powers at once that take Gestures and/or Incantations only to activate. It is only at the Constant/Throughout level that these Limitations now act as a limited form of Lockout.

How is that different from 5er?

Constant Gestures means the character must continuously gesture; he cannot activate any other powers that require Gestures while he's keeping the current power going.

The same basic text is under the Incantations description on p297.

How is that different from 5er?

The same basic text is under the Incantations description on p297.

Ah. Okay. I think you are right. I was confused about this in 5ER too it seems, as I even asked Steve about it. I guess the explicit text in 6E is just a clarification, not a rules change. Still doesn't make much sense to me (guess that makes it convenient to forget it ;) ), but ah well. :o

It'd be a pretty tough analysis to do since there's a practically unlimited number of combinations for Number of Powers' date=' Active Costs of Powers, END Reserve Sizes and Recovery of END Reserves.[/quote']

Well, I didn't mean it would be a comprehensive analysis of all the ways END Reserve could be used.

Mainly I meant I needed to sit down and analyze how I was using it, as the change in price alters it's overall value for several characters in my games.

A VPP can have a radically low control cost if you want to have hundreds of low point powers in it. If the biggest power I want in my pool is 50 points, I can have a lower control cost than my VPP max. This is great for power cap games, but can lead to a lot of confusion for old schoolers.

A VPP can have a radically low control cost if you want to have hundreds of low point powers in it. If the biggest power I want in my pool is 50 points' date=' I can have a lower control cost than my VPP max. This is great for power cap games, but can lead to a lot of confusion for old schoolers.[/quote']

Unless you're a REAL old schooler who remembers when Gadget Pool used to have the Real Cost limit of the pool determined by its base amount. :D

JG

I've never assumed Hand Attack is derived from Energy Blast/Blast.

Consider: No Range is a -1/2 Limitation. Hand Attack Limitation was moved to -1/4.

Hand Attack adds to Strength, Energy Blast/Blast does not (and would require an Advantage to do so!)

Given those two factors at the very least it seems obvious that Hand Attack is a Limited Strength and not even remotely close to a Limited Blast of some nature.

I can't find any reference to the idea that Hand Attack was ever based on Blast.

The discussions prior to the addition of HA made it pretty plain that HA was derived from limited STR: it's why in its earliest form it was 3 pts per D6 (later retconned to 5 points with a mandatory -1/2 to reflect the invisible "no figured CHA"). HA has always been problematic, because HA even at 3 points cost more than "STR, no figured CHA, no lift" or "STR, sell back STUN and Leap". 6E has addressed that mostly, by removing the figured CHA.

cheers, Mark