Post "gotchas" here

Chris Goodwin

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Post "gotchas" here

I'd say JmOz is pretty much right with this. When the "focus" and the "physical manifestation" are two separate items' date=' I see no reason why you can't take both Limitations.[/quote']

for me it would depend on the specifics.

If its an OAF and a PM i would likely allow it but reduce one or the other. The reasoning is "you can be deined use of the power by...." and both overlap at "the enemy uses an attack action". Just like i wouldn't give you double focus lims for "can be grabbed" and "can be shot" i wouldn't give you extra full price lims for "enemy can attack the focus" and "enemy can attack the manifestation."

On the other hand, if its an OIF, so that taking PM doesn't overlap, then i see no reason why both at full would be a problem.

Summary - INACCESSABLE focus and PM are fine, ACCESSIBLE focus and PM are questionable and i would likely not give full value on both.

OIF POWER RING with PM is fine. OAF RIFLE with PM - not so much.

In my mind a OAF PM Badger is acceptable only if it's the continuous uncontrolled ("wild", as previously abbreviated) variety.

If my OAF continuous RKA was, say, a flamethrower with lasting burn, PM doesn't come into play; OAF already covers preventative violence to stop the attack. Once fired, you're on fire, and nothing you can really do.

The badger OAF continuous RKA has an effect that really should be stoppable by violence after the fact: shooting the badger off your face. So, there is a PM to be attacked that limits the power. Just be careful not to cut off your nose to save your face.

If one of you knows better I'd be interested to hear it' date=' but I can't find the 2x base DCs maximum for STR adds to DCs in the "Taking Damage" section. That's a BIG change from 5e if so.[/quote']

It technically only exists under the following circumstances:

1. The power uses STR Minimum (6E2 199, first column) or Real Weapon (6E2 201, second column)

2. The GM says so as a house rule

JoeG

As a general guideline' date=' the GM might want to consider this: unless he rules otherwise, a character cannot more than double the Damage Classes of his base attack, no matter how many different methods he uses to add damage.[/quote']

It's no longer a hard and fast rule, but it's still a recommendation. A lot of things have gone this way. Kind of a hint to GMs: "Take care of your own business. Instead of asking for some of the ridiculous 'official rulings' you've wanted since the dawn of time, figure out how to run your own game!" At least, that's the way I see it. :dyn

It's no longer a hard and fast rule' date=' but it's still a recommendation. A lot of things have gone this way. Kind of a hint to GMs: "Take care of your own business. Instead of asking for some of the ridiculous 'official rulings' you've wanted since the dawn of time, figure out how to run your own game!" At least, that's the way I see it. :dyn[/quote']

That's a pretty good way to put it.