Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

Sitting in the parking lot at the Pop Vault of the little nowhere town of Jesup, GA (you know: jes' up de road from Brunswick.  ;)  )

Stopped here with Noisy and went and plundered a few vintage games.  The kid at the register starts adding things up and I ask him "hang on a minute.  Do you mind if she runs out to the truck and makes sure these things boot up?" I placed my driver's liscence and a C-note on the counter.  "I will stay here till she gets back."

"Oh sure--"  then something clicks in his forebrain.  "You have a PlayStation 1 in your truck?"

Noisy looks at him and says "and a 2 and a Sega Genesis."

Blank look from the kid behind the counter.  Finally, "you're messing with me."

"In my defense, it's a really old truck.  It was a cool thing to do at the time."

Noisy again "Oh, and a DVD player, but mostly we just put movies on our tablets."  The she grabs the stack of disks and heads to truck.

"You're serious?"

I just nodded.  "Dude. When the kids are little, they get bored by the scenery on road trips,  when they start to get cranky, I push a button and suggest they play a game with each other.   Worked great when they were little."

"No PS 3? Or 4? Or 5?"

The only place to get a 5 in this country is from a scalper, and I am not doing that, and the others- I need to build output adapters to make them compatible with the headrests and sun visors, but at this point, the kids have kind of outgrown the need for travel video games, so I never got around to doing it."

"You're serious?"

Noisy came back in and handed him one game (Defender for PS2).  "This one doesnt work, but the others are fine."  Then she turned to me. "Can I play Spy Hunter on the way to Brunswick?"

"Keep the volume down."

I am currently taking a minute to post this while the sales kid is rooting around in the back seat of the of the Leviathan.  He apparently has never actually played a PS1, and I think I am stuck here until another customer shows up.  Noisy is cutrently spanking his butt in Tekken 2.

:rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday morning a friend stopped by the house- obe of my,players from the Brunswick group that is looking at Year 3 of corona hiatus.  :(

he was on his way to join a group doing Warhammer 40k RPG and stopped to see if I was interested.

my kids arw only familar with 3 games:

they know what D and D is; they play Champions in the youth group, and I have run a coyple of games of classic Traveller at the house.

they were quite curious about RPG talk (the youth group hasn't played regularly since Corona) and pushed closer and closer.

Finally, seeing that I wasnt interested and that the conversation was nearly over, my daughter just butt in with "what is Warhammer 40k?"

Without skipping a beat, without looking up from her book, my wife replied "Catholic Traveller,"  and I don't think I have ever been more profoundly struck with epiphany in my life.

When it comes to mascots for Valentine’s day, people don’t typically think about sea squirts: blobby, headless creatures that spend their lives stuck to the sea floor. 

I dunno.  That sounds like a lot like my early experiences with Valentine's day, and had I known about these things before, I would have cheerfully adopted them as a personal symbol for the day.

• 2 weeks later...

How much risk do we as instructors take in our courses?  We faculty have a privilege by virtue of our positions.  Do we use it in a way that encourages students to open uncomfortable or unpopular issues, or participate without fear in discussion of such issues, especially if they disagree with the instructors' opinions or those of the majority of students in their class or group?  Do we teach our students to discuss the ideas, and not judge those who bring attention to the ideas?  And if we do not do that, then who will?  This seems like an imperative to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...