CU: How does PRIMUS handle foreigners?

Rigel

I am running my first campaign in the official Champions Universe and I have a question for other CU GMs out there. The group will be caught in the middle of a situation where PRIMUS will intercept the players and the "bad guys" in the middle of combat. Since the superheroes are new and unknowns, PRIMUS is going to round up the whole group and start asking them questions downtown.

Here is my question. Some of the players are not US citizens and one is not even a citizen anywhere on the planet (a true alien). Given the requirements of superhero registration, how do you think PRIMUS will handle foreigners and aliens? Would they allow foreigners to be registered and released or do you think PRIMUS would want to deport them or hand them over to someone else like UNTIL? What about the person who is truly an extraterrestrial alien?

I appreciate the ideas and the suggestions. Thanks!

Re: CU: How does PRIMUS handle foreigners?

I think Bubba is perfectly right. You go before an immigration review panel, the judges review your status, PRIMUS puts in its two cents worth as required. ("We don't think it's safe having a walking nuclear reactor working in a New York coffee bar," versus "He saved Millenium City from Black Talon attacks 17 times yesterday. We like him.")

Now, illegal aliens from other planets present novel problems under the law. They have no legitimate means of applying to visit the United States (no consulates on their planets!), and are presumably not resident at will. Inasmuch as the immigation service has no means of deporting them, the United States is stuck with them, and should probably just naturalise them jus solis in the same way that residents of places annexed to the United States are. Make 'em wait 5 years and take an exam, maybe, but naturalise them.

I had a character who was a faerie-like spirit once who dealt with immigration. They couldn't deport me to the Spirit World... and were not even sure that spiritual beings *could* be citizens. Eventually I got offered citizenship through an Indian Reservation and got backdoor US citizenship.

Champions Universe implies that, while legally there are some complications, in practice the US government grants residency approval to aliens, magical beings, and such on a case by case basis. This is probably the best way to handle it, presuming say, there aren't enough alien visitors to actually have some form of consulate.

It sounds like it might be time to revive METE - the Metropolitan Extraterrestrial Enclave.

They were originally in Organisation Book 1 and were reprinted in Alien Enemies.

Aaron Allston, I believe.

They haven't appeared in the current CU as far as I can recall. Pity.

I think Bubba is perfectly right. You go before an immigration review panel, the judges review your status, PRIMUS puts in its two cents worth as required. ("We don't think it's safe having a walking nuclear reactor working in a New York coffee bar," versus "He saved Millenium City from Black Talon attacks 17 times yesterday. We like him.")

Now, illegal aliens from other planets present novel problems under the law. They have no legitimate means of applying to visit the United States (no consulates on their planets!), and are presumably not resident at will. Inasmuch as the immigation service has no means of deporting them, the United States is stuck with them, and should probably just naturalise them jus solis in the same way that residents of places annexed to the United States are. Make 'em wait 5 years and take an exam, maybe, but naturalise them.

you mean like how thesilver age SUPERMAN was depicted as a naturealized american because he was considered a DISASTER SURVIVOR because his homeeworld no longer existed

you mean like how thesilver age SUPERMAN was depicted as a naturealized american because he was considered a DISASTER SURVIVOR because his homeeworld no longer existed

Superman is a refugee? :eek:

I never thought about that before ....

cheers, Mark

Superman is a refugee? :eek:

I never thought about that before ....

cheers, Mark

yes since jor-el sent him to earth as a baby to escapethe destruction of krypton he would have no place to go so deporting him to space would be considered [by silver age standards]cruel and unusual punishment so he'd be granted citzenship under extenuating circumstances though i understans the current superman comics are running a storyline where kryptonians are aparently seen as undisirable aliens[literaly and figureatively]

i think the normal laws for the courts in re imigration would apply

[the champions sourcebooks i have do not cover super-hero registration]

But what if they just waltz in to fight the big bad ? Like for Example the Avengers/JLA like to do ?

Just do not ask, but do it ?

I soo loved to clobber Kaufmanns butt, but alas he is no longer the Golden Weenie........

Are the non-US beings resident in the US, or just visiting?

If they came into the US in pursuit of the villains the legal situation is very different than if they are residents.

yes if they are law enforcment officers in their home coutry they could be in the US on legitamate police/agency business

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ultimately, the Justice Department was able to vouch for the "immigrants" (both terrestrial and extraterrestrial) and secure them temporary visas to remain in the United States. I had them appear before an immigration judge via a video link from inside a PRIMUS facility. They sowrn to abide by all US laws and make regular appearances with an immigration official. They are also now registered per the paranormal Registration Act.

This may have been moot, since I believe the players are unhappy with their choices of characters and may be swapping them out shortly.

During the "Armageddon 2001" summer annual crossover event back in '91, an alternate future Superman decided to run for President of the United States. Since a presidential candidate must by law be born in the USA, Superman turned over the ship which brought him to Earth. Tests proved that the artificial womb it carried had opened after landing in Kansas, so that Superman was technically "born" on American soil, hence automatically an American citizen.

Whether that background detail has since been retconned, in today's comics continuity chaos I wouldn't presume to guess. :rolleyes:

During the "Armageddon 2001" summer annual crossover event back in '91, an alternate future Superman decided to run for President of the United States. Since a presidential candidate must by law be born in the USA, Superman turned over the ship which brought him to Earth. Tests proved that the artificial womb it carried had opened after landing in Kansas, so that Superman was technically "born" on American soil, hence automatically an American citizen.

Whether that background detail has since been retconned, in today's comics continuity chaos I wouldn't presume to guess. :rolleyes:

That makes no sense. If I us a submersible to cross the great lakes into Canada does my “womb” of mini-sub give “birth” to me when I get there? I mean, seriously, that’s just horribly/poorly thought out, even for comic book logic…

That makes no sense. If I us a submersible to cross the great lakes into Canada does my “womb” of mini-sub give “birth” to me when I get there? I mean' date=' seriously, that’s just horribly/poorly thought out, even for comic book logic…[/font']

I'm betting you were more than just a cluster of cells when you entered the sub

And there's the crux of the matter. At that stage of comics continuity, Kryptonians had "progressed" beyond intercourse for conception. All their children were fertilized in vitro and carried to full term inside artificial wombs. Kal-El's fetus flew to Earth in that womb, so he never existed outside of it until it opened after landing in Kansas. That event was to all intents and purposes a "birth," the only difference being that Kal-El's surrogate mother was a machine. ;)

And there's the crux of the matter. At that stage of comics continuity' date=' Kryptonians had "progressed" beyond intercourse for conception. All their children were fertilized in vitro and carried to full term inside artificial wombs. Kal-El's fetus flew to Earth in that womb, so he never existed outside of it until it opened after landing in Kansas. That event was to all intents and purposes a "birth," the only difference being that Kal-El's surrogate mother was a machine. ;)[/quote']

When did that retcon happen? He was a baby in every version I've ever seen including movies, cartoons, the radio version, and the original comic (as well as several other canon references since the original). Did they make this crap up for that one story or was it changed before that for some equally stupid reason?

And there's the crux of the matter. At that stage of comics continuity' date=' Kryptonians had "progressed" beyond intercourse for conception. All their children were fertilized in vitro and carried to full term inside artificial wombs. Kal-El's fetus flew to Earth in that womb, so he never existed outside of it until it opened after landing in Kansas. That event was to all intents and purposes a "birth," the only difference being that Kal-El's surrogate mother was a machine. ;)[/quote']

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMS~!!!!

(sorry, couldn't help it :ugly:)