Lock-On System

I'm not entirely certain this is even possible within the rules without inventing new stuff, but hey. :)

The idea is to have a weapon linked to a sensor with visual identification software; you 'lock on' to a particular target, and then the weapon will not fire unless the locked target is what's in front of the gun.

In game/meta-terms, the weapon doesn't fire unless you hit. If you need a 12- to hit, and roll a 13+, no ammo/END is expended and you don't have to worry about collateral damage.

I have no idea how to go about this. Anybody?

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot. 5e.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Lock-On System

0 end cost

SFX did not fire unless a hit was done

needs a cover roll/mods

Yeah, 0 End is what I'd go with. Plus maybe a very small (possibly -0) Limitation showing that the number of hits (as opposed to the number of total attacks) is limited in number. Consider basing the value on four times the number of Charges or something, but don't let it become an Advantage because that's already covered by the Reduced Endurance Advantage.

Yeah' date=' 0 End is what I'd go with. Plus [i']maybe[/i] a very small (possibly -0) Limitation showing that the number of hits (as opposed to the number of total attacks) is limited in number. Consider basing the value on four times the number of Charges or something, but don't let it become an Advantage because that's already covered by the Reduced Endurance Advantage.

Apply a limit to the points spent on the 0-End Advantage?

My first idea was END Reserve

REC equal to the cost of one use, limited to only activate on a "miss."

Also, of course, REC you can use if you reload the weapon.

However, another option might be to buy levels with "Cover." Once you have someone covered you don't need another to hit roll, and it doesn't cost any ammunition to cover someone.

Lucius Alexander

Weapon Familiarity, Palindromedary Mounted Weapons

However, another option might be to buy levels with "Cover." Once you have someone covered you don't need another to hit roll, and it doesn't cost any ammunition to cover someone.

Lucius Alexander

Weapon Familiarity, Palindromedary Mounted Weapons

Nice

you could just go for a cover maneuver and shoot if you got hit with the cover mods

once you have the target covered you can shoot at anytime

you could buy skill levels only to offset the cover mods

Yeah...that was what I was going to say...Roll to hit, if you miss, nothing, if you hit the attack is "automatic" more or less at will....

APG p. 143 has a modifier for Charges called Conserved Charges. The attack does not use up a charge under certain circumstances. Pretty much describes this; you could (with GM permission) set the condition under which it does not use a charge as "Attack roll misses."

Appreciate the thought, but I'm still living in 5e-land. :)

Doesn't using Cover take up your attack action and still allow them to "break cover" even if your Cover role was successful?

I assume an attack action would be required at some point with any kind of Lock-On System. Expending the action and rolling it before firing makes a certain amount of sense.

Becoming not "Covered" is a little problematic - the 5th Revised text offers Skill vs. Skill rolls in addition to the normal Pre Attack if you're looking to make breaking cover easier so Sys Ops vs Sys Ops for electronic jamming.

Then perhaps building other countermeasures (Maneuvers, Flares etc) as limited extra PRE.

you could just go for a cover maneuver and shoot if you got hit with the cover mods

once you have the target covered you can shoot at anytime

you could buy skill levels only to offset the cover mods

Since cover is a manuever which seems to do what you want to do, this suggestion seems to work the best.

This sounds more like a 'Safety-System'.

'Lock-On' suggests the Continuous Advantage.

For a true 'Lock-On & Safety System' I would try using a combination of the following Advantages "Naked": AOE 1 Hex Accurate, No Range Modifier & Continuous with various Limitations (like RSR, Extra Time, etc...). That way, the weapon could still be fired normally but if the user can take the time and make the skill roll he has a weapon that would truly put ALL its fire on a single target (as long as they stay in line of sight).

But does it do what you want? Cover requires you to succeed with an attack roll' date=' and then you can still 'miss' because they can break the Cover.[/quote']

Of course an attack roll is required - an attack roll should always be required at some point for an attack.

They can only break cover if they have the opportunity to - Traditionally the reason to use the cover maneuver is to threaten - in this instance however there's nothing to stop the person from covering the target (making the attack roll) and then instantly doing the damage thus expending the charge (The attacker does no damage then, but at any time thereafter, he may automatically do damage to the target — no additional Attack Roll is required, and doing the damage takes no time. 5ER pg 393) The attacker could still opt to hold lock (keep the target covered) at the risk of the target being able to break it.

I never said an attack roll shouldn't be required. My point was that the Cover could be broken thus wasting the successful attack roll. I guess I wasn’t thinking about instantly using the attack you are covering with. Seems odd, but if that’s how it operates I guess that could work. I almost feel like they should to have an opportunity to break the Cover though. Otherwise why wouldn’t everyone everywhere just always use the Cover Maneuver rather than wasting ammo?

i never said an attack roll shouldn't be required. My point was that the cover could be broken thus wasting the successful attack roll. I guess i wasn’t thinking about instantly using the attack you are covering with. Seems odd' date=' but if that’s how it operates i guess that could work. I almost feel like they [i']should[/i] to have an opportunity to break the cover though. Otherwise why wouldn’t everyone everywhere just always use the cover maneuver rather than wasting ammo?

-2 ocv

I'm not sure this is strictly do-able in 5e: I have not looked at 'conserved charges' yet.

If it is not do-able then we need to come up with new stuff. You have various suggestions. Here's another: Always Hits +1.

That has been bandied about before and works this way: if you can hit, you do hit. When we have spoken of it before there has been a feeling there should be some way to miss (like NND has something it doesn't work against). I say, just go for it. +1 is a bit advantage and, whilst it needs a big STOP sign, it is not more of a problem than AoE is, really, or loads of OCV levels.

Then you have a generic construct that you can modify to create what you want.

Alternatively +1/4 on your activation roll could modify the rule that a failed activation still requires a charge to be used up.

I do like the 'cover' idea though :thumbup:

I'd use cover as well - in fact, I've already done so for primarily this kind of approach, with one refinement: I add "Trigger: target comes in range, +1/4)". That allows a "lock-on" to be established at long range and the wepaon can then fire as soon as it is able. Since you have already covered the target, the trigger allows the weapon to fire (probably successfully) as soon as the target is in firing range - even if that's automatically. It's a nice way of simulating "fire and forget" weapons systems"

There's several potential augments. One is simply CSLs with Cover, which would make your weapon relatively inaccurate without first covering the target (ie: without a lock-on) - however, it would also mean your "lock-on" (ie: cover) roll would be high - so a locked-on target is likely to be hit.

cheers, Mark