7 Sci-Fi Series Ripe for Movie Reboots

Susano

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 7 Sci-Fi Series Ripe for Movie Reboots

Fine. You can come here and help me clean my coffee from all over my monitor. ;)

(for you young sprats, this is a very skillful joke based on a 1970's toy called Major Matt Mason)

repped.

Errr....Sorry to both "pick a nit" and derail the thread a bit but Major Matt and his team were toys of the 1960's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Matt_Mason

The frustrating thing for me, at the time, was that the gear I had for my 12" GI Joes' would not work with the Matt Mason stuff (and vice verse). Tho' I do recall getting the "jet pack backpack" to function across both genres...at least a bit. :bounce:

Remember, knowing is half the battle. :ugly::doi:

-Carl-

Errr....Sorry to both "pick a nit" and derail the thread a bit but Major Matt and his team were toys of the 1960's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Matt_Mason

Thanks, I was having a senior moment there. I thought it was the 1960's when I was playing with Mattel's Man in Space, but my logical brain said it couldn't possibly have been that long ago.

Are you suggesting Bionic Woman was more famous & popular that the Bionic Man?:)

Absolutely, biggest ratings for 6M man were for Jamies intro episodes. SCi Fi recently had a review of both series hosted by their respective stars. Bionic Woman definately had the edge in ratings for the day.

Absolutely' date=' biggest ratings for 6M man were for Jamies intro episodes. SCi Fi recently had a review of both series hosted by their respective stars. Bionic Woman definately had the edge in ratings for the day.[/quote']

They had the highest ratings for the Six Million Dollar man, yes. The spin-off Bionic Woman show didn't achieve the same ratings. Probably because they had her doing dangerous and exciting stuff like teaching kids.

Ah' date=' Anthony Rogers crawls out of the rip-van-winkle cave to find people jumping around with intertron antigravity belts and using rocket guns on the Mongol repellor ray ships. I'd watch that.[/quote']

And on that topic... http://www.quietearth.us/articles/2009/12/02/Impressive-teaser-for-BUCK-ROGERS-in-the-25th-Century-webseries

• 4 weeks later...

The Federation "system" seemed to be set up to squash anything that would risk even slight changes in "being human". Trying to have Data classified as a machine' date=' for example, or the strict laws against (all but the most desperately needed therapeutic) genetic modification. It wouldn't surprise me if the Federation had a policy of banning things like "transporter medicine" after the reports got back to HQ and the legislature.[/quote']

If you really want to get technical about the "transporter medicine", while the incident with Dr. Pulaski was

the first instance during the run of ST: TNG of using the transporter in this way, it's not the only time in

any of the various forms of the Star Trek franchise that it's been done. During the run of the animated

ST series back in the '70s, there was an episode in which Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and some other officer

were somehow being drained by the female inhabitants of a planet, with the result that they were all

aging rapidly, and the only way that it could be undone was to use the transporter to recreate them

according to their original transporter patterns.

Major Tom 2009 :dyn

Give me, a 6 million Dollar Man Movie, with someone of the Mold of Lee Majors (Not sure who the Lee Majors equivalent would be nowadays. Sam Worthington maybe?), and I would be all for it. Still. They DID try several reboots, and could only manage ratings when the originals were on the screen. Last Bionic Woman was OK, but really wasn't any better then the one previous where it was Sandra Bullock that was Bionic, or Previous to THAT, when they tried to do something with Austins Kid......

The two original shows worked because, they stayed in their respective Molds (Heck, even Max the bionic Dog worked). When they tried to get out of the Molds, and get fancier, and do more, folks lost interest. I kinda think it was because there are so many Special Effects nowadays, that they aren't Special anymore. Just expected. So if you wanted to do a Good 6 Million Dollar Man movie, you find an Actor of the Mold of Majors (heh), and then script something up, Like the Cyborg Novels, to get a bit of the Agent Element rolling. Sometimes, Less is More.

~Rex

I agree! Ugh... That series annoyed the heck out of me.

Now what I'd like to see is a Blakes 7 movie and new series.

Yes! Yes! And Yes! again! Only please don't make it darker and edgier and grimmer and grittier and hotter and sexier. That trend not only is unneccessary, it really p's me off.

Give me, a 6 million Dollar Man Movie, with someone of the Mold of Lee Majors (Not sure who the Lee Majors equivalent would be nowadays. Sam Worthington maybe?), and I would be all for it. Still. They DID try several reboots, and could only manage ratings when the originals were on the screen. Last Bionic Woman was OK, but really wasn't any better then the one previous where it was Sandra Bullock that was Bionic, or Previous to THAT, when they tried to do something with Austins Kid......

The two original shows worked because, they stayed in their respective Molds (Heck, even Max the bionic Dog worked). When they tried to get out of the Molds, and get fancier, and do more, folks lost interest. I kinda think it was because there are so many Special Effects nowadays, that they aren't Special anymore. Just expected. So if you wanted to do a Good 6 Million Dollar Man movie, you find an Actor of the Mold of Majors (heh), and then script something up, Like the Cyborg Novels, to get a bit of the Agent Element rolling. Sometimes, Less is More.

~Rex

second the motion

Yes! Yes! And Yes! again! Only please don't make it darker and edgier and grimmer and grittier and hotter and sexier. That trend not only is unneccessary' date=' it really p's me off.[/quote']

Blake's 7 was already pretty dark and edgy (and grim and gritty).

Yes! Yes! And Yes! again! Only please don't make it darker and edgier and grimmer and grittier and hotter and sexier. That trend not only is unneccessary' date=' it really p's me off.[/quote']

The original is plenty dark, edgy, grim, gritty, hot and sexy. Hard to compete with the original Avon/Servalan dynamic. Heck, even Vila had sqeeing fangirls.

(Yes, I've heard the word "squee" a lot this weekend. A LOT.)

Yeah, but who had the cooler toys? 6 Million Dollar Man that's who! Heh.

Never was a big Blake's 7 fan. Still I could see the appeal. Still it was a very niche audience, and as good as what the material was (not a fan but I'm very broad based and can appreciate skill even in things not to my liking), I don't think it could sustain a re-boot. Maybe if it stuck around in it's BBC audience it could do well enough to equal, Torchwood let's say, but I don't think it would catch on to an American Fan base though.

Now Austin could. Steve Austin, never goes out of style. I can already picture several possible angles, especially if they go more for the Caiden style, and less for the Super Hero stuff they tried with the other reboots of the franchise.

~Rex

Yeah, but who had the cooler toys? 6 Million Dollar Man that's who! Heh.

Never was a big Blake's 7 fan. Still I could see the appeal. Still it was a very niche audience, and as good as what the material was (not a fan but I'm very broad based and can appreciate skill even in things not to my liking), I don't think it could sustain a re-boot. Maybe if it stuck around in it's BBC audience it could do well enough to equal, Torchwood let's say, but I don't think it would catch on to an American Fan base though.

Now Austin could. Steve Austin, never goes out of style. I can already picture several possible angles, especially if they go more for the Caiden style, and less for the Super Hero stuff they tried with the other reboots of the franchise.

~Rex

You mean like this?

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsbook/steveaustin.html

Supposedly, it was going to come out on DVD and DID over seas. Here of course where we really want it, you can't find it, and SyFy insists on sitting on it's horde of gold and treasure like freaking Smaug out of "The Hobbit".

Mr. Surbrook's site link up there is also a very good rendition of the sheet, though by Cyborg IV, I'd up the points a bit. That is a great build though and shows you what you can really accomplish, without going straight for the ceiling of effect.

~Rex

• 2 years later...

Bumping this up to the top with some breaking news--there are plans for a Space: 1999 comeback. While I don't think it'll be anyhting like my remake pitch below--unless the producers read these boards--it may work out without my input. I think I will look forward to this.

Now I liked Space: 1999, especially the designs for Moonbase Alpha and the uniforms. I loved their spacecraft, the Eagles--while having them land on planets with atmosphere was a bit of a stretch, I could easily see something like that flying around the lunar surface and to Earth orbit, where they'd dock with an Earth-orbit station or a space shuttle-type vehicle. If Earth's space agencies ever got truly serious about lunar exploration and colonization, they could do a lot worse than to copy the designs for Moonbase Alpha.

But to reiterate, you have a point. And as has been pointed out in other places, a nuclear explosion powerful enough to break the moon out of Earth's orbit would just obliterate it instead. (Great Krypton!) Which is why in my remake of Space: 1999, Moonbase Alpha is not overseeing a nuclear waste dump site, but is the center for experiments in generating "extra-spatial conduits"--in other words, wormholes. The scientist in charge of the project--Dr. Victor Bergman--is on the verge of a breakthrough, but needs more time analyze all the variables; the administrator from Earth, Commissioner Simmons, wants the breakthrough now. In between them is Commander Koenig, trying to keep the peace and keep everyone safe. The experiments proceed--a conduit is generated--but something goes horribly wrong and the conduit becomes enormous enough to engulf the moon--which it does, sending it millions of light-years across the galaxy to another star system. While the Alphans clean up the mess and try to figure out how to get back, they are contacted by the dying planet Psychon--specifically by its last two inhabitants, the scientist Mentor and his daughter, the shape-shifting Maya. (As you see, I've combined elements of the first season premiere with the second season premiere.) Mentor offers his help, but what he really wants is to use the conduit technology to create a conduit directly to Psychon's sun, using the energy to power the terraformation machines that would revitalize the planet.

As for the cast, I think Zachary Quinto could work quite well as Commander Koenig. But if people insist on a husband-wife team of actors such as Martin Landau and Barbara Bain, then the couple that most immediately comes to mind--especially if you feed off gossip magazines--are Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Having them in the roles of Commander Koenig and Doctor Russell should guarantee a sufficiently profitable opening weekend, but if you'd rather not have the typical celebrity attention--there is another possibility, even if they're not husband and wife.

I had an idea for a Star Trek series that would have taken place after the events of the Dominion War and the Nemesis movie, and would have involved trying to forge a lasting peace with the Romulans. It would have starred Michael Dorn, sans Klingon makeup, as the commander of the main Federation Starbase for that sector, and Halle Berry as the captain of a starship uner his command--who also happens to be his wife. I think that particular piece of casting would also work for Space: 1999, with Dorn as Koenig and Berry as Russell.

As for the other roles--for Alan Carter, Australia's Man In Space, I'm leaning towards Ray Park. While he's not Australian, I believe he possesses the same sort of easygoing ruggedness and determination that Alan Carter was known for--plus, we've got someone to go to if we want to write in a huge fight scene. Or, if we insist on an Australian for the part, we could always make Alan an Alanis, and have Claudia Black step into the role. Or is there someone better for the part?

For Victor Bergman, I figure the original Commissioner Simmons--Roy Dotrice--could play the part. For the new Commissioner Simmons, we get the original Alan Carter, Nick Tate. For Mentor and Maya, I'm leaning towards Sir Anthony Hopkins and Catherine Zeta-Jones. For everyone else--I'm open to suggestion. If you've got any better ideas, let's hear them.

And if Gerry Anderson happens to be reading this--Sir, you have my gratitude for creating Space: 1999, as well as Thunderbirds and Fireball XL5. And if you like what you've read here, give me a call. I work cheap--what screenwriter doesn't? ;)

Well, got got the collected DVD series for the 6 Million Dollar Man back on my birthday. Damn I miss shows like that. It's so ripe for a revival yet they keep trying to tank with the Bionic Woman instead of going with the tried and true (Still thinking Adam Baldwin as Steve Austin myself, more Caiden style).....

Space 1999, not sure how they can pull that off really and make it work. Science Channel had a really good special on the other month I recorded to watch called "What if Earth had no Moon.." (or some such)... Was fascinating to watch, and I can see a two sided angle to a Space 1999 show provided there is a good way to launch the Moon some random direction. You could do a ton of stuff with it and still have it in the solar system for seasons even....

Either way I'd be down for a Space 1999 revival, provided they don't do to it what they did to the Flash Gordon attempt or a few other SF shows I can think of..

~Rex

Well, got got the collected DVD series for the 6 Million Dollar Man back on my birthday. Damn I miss shows like that. It's so ripe for a revival yet they keep trying to tank with the Bionic Woman instead of going with the tried and true (Still thinking Adam Baldwin as Steve Austin myself, more Caiden style).....

Space 1999, not sure how they can pull that off really and make it work. Science Channel had a really good special on the other month I recorded to watch called "What if Earth had no Moon.." (or some such)... Was fascinating to watch, and I can see a two sided angle to a Space 1999 show provided there is a good way to launch the Moon some random direction. You could do a ton of stuff with it and still have it in the solar system for seasons even....

Either way I'd be down for a Space 1999 revival, provided they don't do to it what they did to the Flash Gordon attempt or a few other SF shows I can think of..

~Rex

The Bionic Woman reboot had potential, but inconsistant writing(and some really bad eps) doomed it. I kind of missed the connection to Steve Austin, but liked the elements that were there. I have been enjoying the Dynamite Bionic Man Comic, that was based on the Kevin Smith Bionic Man script.

Likewise. Still, I'm a season and a half into the old series, plus the Pilots (including the very campy but oddly entertaining Glen Larson pilots, heh). The 6 Million Dollar Man was a mighty fine show, and even a lot of the SFX still hold up well against some of the SyFy CGI drek I've been subjected to as of late.....

You don't need much to pull off something good. The Bionic Man comic is a good time as well I just wish they could have kept Smith on board longer.

~Rex