• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawyer

District Attorney

Army Spec Ops personnel

College Student

Catholic Priest (as portrayed by an android)

Corporate CEO/Inventor

Model

Geologist

Biologist

Botanist

Engineer

Author of very disturbing novels where everyone dies gorily

Girls Summer Camp Counselor

Babysitter

Professional Baseball player (minor leagues)

Concert Pianist

Mercenary/Bounty Hunter

Geneticist

Professional Thief

I had a homeless person once. Everyone thought she was off her medication (which she was), but she had touch precog, psychometry and was being hunted by an "invisible to normal sight" demon stalker that always knew where she was, it just walked slow. (But not slow enough)

My other homeless guy was immortal. He had no memory and was first seen falling off a bridge only to be eaten by a giant shark.

Cute and fuzzy pet with all it's powers linked to "only in heroic identity"

It's oh so huggable, until evil rears its ugly head.

Then....it's still oh so huggable (but with cosmic power up to wazoo)

Originally posted by Alex Raven

One of my character's secret IDs was a Catholic priest.

Another was a university geologist.

The priest was a reincarnation of the Son of Satan...

Now that's positively twisted.

As far as Secret IDs I've used for my characters go, the most recent

character (a battlesuit trooper) was a millionaire inventor and a

patriot who'd designed and built a suit of powered armor called

Minuteman.

Space Cadet :cool:

In campaigns I've run the player's secret ID's have tended to be fairly typical ie computer programmer, private detective, businesswoman, student.

Also had a Russian diplomat and a fair number of characters employed by the government / military

However the one that has been the most interesting has been a vigilante whose day job is a police officer. Got very interesting when he was assigned to the anti-vigilante task force ! [This was about eight years ago - long before DC did it with Nightwing / Dick Grayson]

Dog girl? Now we're talking....assuming we aren't talking about some sort of shadow-skulking mutant:eek:

Did she live in like..."the Dog ____" (any location except house, since that'd be corny) and went about an everyday life in full view of the public until stuff happened that required superpowers? I've always wondered how that would work...a "powerpuff girls" sort of set-up, with no Secret ID whatsoever (not even a costume change)

Let's see:

Stage Magician, with a public ID and legal name change to Blackrune.

Ex Soviet scientist, hiding in the US illegally as a College Proffesor.

College Student

College Professor, grandson of the Nazi scientist that built the first battlesuit.

Professional Superhero (x3).

Surfshop owner, and former Pro Surfer.

Fithly rich bachelor.

Research Professor.

Auto Mechanic.

As I think of it, most have been jobless and homeless, though almost never with any related disads or advantages (it tends to cancel out, they can make ends meet and have the skills to do so but it requires some effort). That's odd, never really realized that consiously. Will have to change it next time. Those who haven't been have been in nondescript marginal jobs. For those who have been jobless/homeless, one was a punk living among friends and the street, one was an artist living in ad-hoc arrangements, and one lives off the land.

My favorite is the scientist/inventor who makes his own powers, either gadgets, or (more frequently) powered armor. Other than that, I lean towards mutants with distinctive features and public I.D.s. I did have a brick with magical armbands that gave him his power. He had neither secret, nor public I.D.

Out of the characters I've actually played (and thus have full write-ups for), I've done:

Academic/Scientist (usually researcher, inventor or student, not teacher/professor)

Stage magician

Firefighter

Air Force test pilot

Movie stunt man

Ex-con

Private detective

Retired CIA agent

The only real repeat profession has been student. I guess that's the one I default to.

My current character doesn't really have a profession. Mostly he just works whatever minimum-wage job he can get for as long as he can before his extracurricular activities or a sudden need to hide from his hunteds get him fired. Fortunately he's got Life Support & Instant Change. If things get really dire, he can subsist indefinitely and always have clean clothing. ;)

When possible, I like to tailor my background to the campaign I'm in. In several campaigns, I've been part of a government-sponsored group, in which case the only restriction on my background is how it ties in with my character's origin. In others, knowing that everyone else in your group is playing a penniless drifter may influence whether you will decide to play your billionaire playboy battlesuit character ("Looks like it'll be up to me to pay for everything...") or your fish-out-of-water alien martial artist ("We're all broke! Today's adventure: Acquire and eat lunch without committing any felonies...").

I've always liked "St Barbara's" profession. "Model" ! It covers such a multitude of meanings ! (Snicker !") The idea of a supermodel superheroine appeals to me as well, although I guess that such a character would have to have a "public I D". The idea of say, Elle Mc Pherson in a skin tight outfit waring a mask and NOT being recognised just seems SO silly !

Originally posted by st barbara

I've always liked "St Barbara's" profession. "Model" ! It covers such a multitude of meanings ! (Snicker !") The idea of a supermodel superheroine appeals to me as well, although I guess that such a character would have to have a "public I D". The idea of say, Elle Mc Pherson in a skin tight outfit waring a mask and NOT being recognised just seems SO silly !

If Elle McPherson was in a skintight outfit, she wouldn't need teh mask. NO one would look at her face. ;)