Eeep! Buck Rogers!!!

John Desmarais

Re: Eeep! Buck Rogers!!!

Well, it certainly looks more Buck Rogers than that travesty on the siffi channel. OTOH, we've only seen the one element. It's a nice teaser, but I want to see some more meat, not just smell the bacon cooking.

Here's the actor on IMBD--

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm1967231/

Looks handsome enough. Obviously I want to see him in costume and playing the character before rendering a verdict.

Does it need to be in black-and-white, though? The serials of the 30s and 40s were only in black-and-white because they couldn't afford color film. If they could have, every movie, serial and (later) TV series would have been shot in color, just as they are today. While I don't believe in colorizing films shot in black-and-white, the notion that a movie emulating 30s sci-fi adventure must be shot in black-and-white seems mistaken to me. The science fiction magazines of the time had covers printed in color, sometimes garishly so. As did all the other pulps of the time. The Sunday newspaper comics were printed in color, and again, if they could have afforded it, the daily comics would have been in color as well. Comic books--definitely all in color. And all for a dime.

The only reason to shoot in black-and-white these days would be artistic, and to my mind that's the wrong decision for this production. This should be in color.

The only reason to shoot in black-and-white these days would be artistic' date=' and to my mind that's the wrong decision for this production. This should be in color.[/quote']

I'm not sure why you think it is B&W; it is in color.

I'm not sure why you think it is B&W; it is in color.

It looked like the sky and the clouds were some sort of sepia tone; what color was there seemed quite muted to me. Unless they're postulating soem sort of enviromental disaster, the sky should be blue. Either way it didn't seem like full-color to me.

It looked like the sky and the clouds were some sort of sepia tone; what color was there seemed quite muted to me. Unless they're postulating soem sort of enviromental disaster' date=' the sky should be blue. Either way it didn't seem like full-color to me.[/quote']

I don't think that some sort of post-apocalyptic setting is prohibited by canon.

Yeah I get that comic. It's an interesting twist. My only gripe really with Dynamite as a company is that half of each comic is nothing but Add Space. VERY nice approach to Buck Rogers though in that material. Let's you do StarPulp Hero with no issues what so ever.

~Rex

• 2 months later...

Shhhh .....to much Praise of Buck Rogers will Wake "She who must not Be Named!" and she'll want her blood money and souls and hence, Ruin anything that could be great and good.

Nifty Trailer though, appeals to my Pulp soul.

~Rex

If you mean Erin Grey, so be it.

I don't think that some sort of post-apocalyptic setting is prohibited by canon.

I don't know your definition of canon here, but the original was definitely post apocalyptic.

The Han had destroyed all other civilizations, and the first two years of the strip were the story (that had been told in the pulp story version) of Buck leading the surviving Americans (who lived in hiding in the forests and mountains for fear of Han airship raids) in over throwing the Han and reestablishing America.