Create a Hero Theme Team!

Cygnia

Re: Create a Hero Theme Team!

I can understand that. I thought of it as an homage' date=' and hope anyone mentioned takes it as a compliment.[/quote']

Oh, it's strictly my own feeling....I don't expect anyone else to necessarily feel that way.

There's also the fact that on the one hand, if I honor one person, I don't want to slight others....but if I pick several, I'm hogging all the slots on the team.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that there's no shortage of inspiring people

He's a master of disguise and yet in his vigilante persona he is instanty recognisable ! And the villains when they see him leap into each other's arms in fear !

More deductive than Sherlock Holmes ! More scientific than the cast of CSI ! Is it the Batman ? Is it Question ? NO ! It's Oddhat !

With a mixture of derring do, implausible thought processes and an indefatigble belief in good comes the first hero of the 3rd Millennium !

Oddhat . Pummelling the baddies into a pulp in a street near you.

And finally. Claude Crossley was never, and never wanted to be a lumberjack. Though he certainly was what most people would picture one as, big, muscular, and with what some would call an unfortuate love of flannel. Though he was an outdoorsman. Whenever possible he would go camping in remote regions. One day he went camping in a place so remote folks had decided it would make a good place for dumping illegal chemicals. Claude tried to catch them, but some things went wrong. The truck crashed into a tree that fell on him. Then the truck exploded dousing him and the tree with chemicals. Thats when something went right. Instead of dying Claude gained superpowers .

His skin became covered in a bark klike substance. He also found he could fire woden projectiles and (Yes I've watched Naruto:) ) switch teleport with hunks of wood. Though both the projectiles and teleport were restricted to wood roughly tree or log shape. Thus it was that Claude Crossley entered the woods, but Logman emerged.

Which by my count makes six, so

The Dirty Deck. Seven people who consider themselves heroes. Though various law agencies would despute that. O.k. So sometimes their a little dishonest, and maybe a few rules o.k. laws got a bit bent. But hey it all worked out.

If Bolo will forgive me stealing a poage from his book I'd like to start.

Dealer looked at the other four men at the table. They stared at him with stone faced expressions. It was a bit of a risky move, but he had a good feeling. He dropped the king and ten on the table.

"Two cards" He said

"Why do we always have to play draw poker with this guy?" Asked "Cougar" Hitchens.

"Because if I'm not bdealing, I'm gonna decide what I'm holding." said Dealer.

Suddenly the door to the room blew open, and twelve heavily armed Viper agents entered the room. TTHe folks gambling at the four tableslooked over, and resumed playing cards. The Viper agents leveled their guns at the players.

"This game is closed. It will reopen tomorrow under Viper management." The Viper leader said.

"That was two cards." Dealer said as he rose from the table.

"Your not back in five minutes you fold." Cougar said.

Dealer walked calmly toward the Viper leader., His face didn't alter even when the agents turned all thier guns on him.

"You aren't the former owner. Stay out of this." The Viper leader said.

"No. I'm the current although temporary owner. See when you changed the game by telling him he could work for you or be buried, he asked me to explain for him. This may be an illigeal high stakes poker game, but it's a freindly illgeal high stakes poker game. Vicous killers with dreams of world domination aren't invited. So tell you what have some complementary champaine. go away, and I won't even charge you for the door."

The Viper leader laughed and pointed a gun right between Dealer's eyes.

"You are now going to die."

"Not really. Here let me show you something."

Using two fingers Dealer pulled a deck of cards from his vest pocket.

"You've got guns, but I've got a deck of playing cards Which means it's my deal."

"Your deck isn't full whoever you are."

"Oh my apologies I'm the Dealer. And your wrong. There are fifty eight cards in this deck. But only six you have to worry about."

Dealer pulled out the top six cards. He fanned them out for all the Viper agents to see. On each was pictured a different person in great detail.

"New deal"

Dealer ripped the cards in half. Suddenly the six people pictured on the cards appeared in the room.

"Viper meet the Dirty Deck. Dirty Deck clobber these idiots."

As the Viper agent looked at the person who suddenly appeared next to him, the Dealer grabbed his arm. Moments later the agent was gone, and dealer held a card with his likness. Dealer looked at the card.

"You and I are gonna talk later."

He slipped the card in the deck, and returned to the table. He checked his hand and ignoring the battle now raging said,

"Call and raise."

Arthur "Ace" Timmons looked at the three VIPER agents in front of him and smiled. "How d'ya do, gents?" he asked as he spun once in place. The agents raised their weapons to fire... except they didn't have any weapons. They had gone flying to the floor a few feet away. "I'm sorry, but I couldn't let you keep those. Someone might have gotten hurt." He spun again, this time with his leg raised, and all three men went flying as if kicked, despite being far outside his reach. "Well, someone other than you, that is." He moved his arms as if performing a joint lock, and one agent reaching for a fallen gun suddenly screamed in pain as his arm broke with an audible snap.

The large grotesque creature brandished four bludgeons, one in each hand, and grinned as he brought two of them together on either side of an unfortunate agent's head. "Hi. They call me Four of Clubs. Guess why."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders what other kinds of cards we can include...Greeting cards? Credit cards? Post cards?

She is the Queen of Diamonds. She throws diamonds at people or diamond shaped devices. They say that because she dressed as a Queen it went to her head. That she expected people to bow to her, to give her expensive presents, to cowtow to her every will.

They say that she gave the dealer attitude and he put her in the deck. For a long time.

Now she fights the bad guys even if sometimes she tends towards the callous and uncaring. It is known that if the dealer gives a slight 'ahem' the Queen tends to look at him in fear.

Dealer was the one who found her, imprisoned deep in the VIPER base. He didn't know what they intended to do with her, but it couldn't have been anything good. The fact she was just a teenager made it that much more worrying. Busting her out and breaking more than a few necks in the process was immensely satisfying. They had wiped her memory clean, whoever she was. Wiped any fingerprint and dental records she might have had too. And there were no reports of missing children matching her description in North America. At least he got her out before any brainwashing had been done.

Then he found out about her powers: air manipulation. She could fly (and probably in due time have the strength to carry others), summon cyclone force winds and, more dangerously tear the very breath out of an enemy's lungs with a vacuum. She's devoted to Dealer and his cause. The name he's given her?

Shuffle

"Yeah, yeah, I know it's a Jack of Hearts outfit, but my real codename is Page of Cups, said the young woman. "The powers didn't come with a premade costume, and this is what the Dealer had in stock. Now drink this, already, so you'll be in good shape for the cops to take you away. Of course it tastes awful! It's medicine! Magic medicine from an everfull cup, yeah, but it's still not gonna taste like candy. And you're still going to feel the pain until the wounds would have healed by themselves. Just be grateful I bothered to heal you at all."

New team!

The Golden Oldies

Four heroes over the age of 60 (and with Age:60+) who defend the retirement communities of Florida. They may have been powered all along or only gained their abilities in old age. But with criminals targeting the elderly, the Golden Oldies have come out of retirement to defend justice (if a little creakily.)

Noah Gray retired from the active heroing life when he married and had a family. His son took over the family business, so he knew the world was in capable hands.

But young punks started preying on the old people, invading their homes, beating them senseless. Noah pulled on his old trenchcoat and mask to look into it.

And the Arclighter has been back on the job ever since.

CES

Jonah was too young to serve in WWII but was a soldier in Korea and has seen his share of combat. He had often dreamt of flying through the air using superhuman powers to help those in need. He’d seen more than a few heroes and villains on TV and even up close in his long life. Jonah married young and lost his wife to pneumonia in 1964. He has one son and entered into teaching when he was in his late thirties.

It seemed that Professor Prentiss was destined to be nothing more than a stogy septuagenarian college professor; that is, until he vacationed in Rome. A few of the classical studies professors decided to take a trip to Italy. While there, Jonah, along with his academic rival, gained superhuman powers after exposure to an alien artifact, they thought was a WWII era gun shell of some sort. Giddy with power, the two old men flew into the air. After a long discussion as to what to do with their new-found abilities, they decided to become hero and villain (flipping a coin) and see who was the better super-man. Professor Prentiss has let his grand-daughter in on the secret, but his annoying hippie commune son and daughter in law are completely in the dark. Both Jonah and his rival are rather traditional flying bricks. On the lower end of the superhuman scale.

Jonah's heroic identity is Professor Powerful. His rival goes by the name Dr Destructo.

Jonah Prentiss is a man in his mid seventies. Before his transformation he was a vibrant, yet small, man. Now, despite his obvious age, he's hale and full of vigor. He has a powerful if not ripped physique; and though his face shows his age, he’s a handsome man. His hairline is quite receded and the graying has almost taken over completely, but since his transformation it seems to have darkened a little.

His costume resembles something from the 50's Sci-Fi serials. It has a somewhat military feel. Dark brown pants with a black stripe, black boots, a white shirt under a brown jacket. The jacket is buttoned and has an upturned gauntlet, in gray, as its device. He wears a gold cape, no mask, and no gloves.

Phenom was originally Robert Eisner, a widower of 64 who had entered into early retirement to enjoy his fading years with a large and loving family (2 sons, 1 daughter and 10 grandchildren). The death of Robert’s wife Jacqueline, or Jackie to her friends, was an enormous tragedy brought about by ovarian cancer. As distraught as Robert was he found himself buoyed by good friends and family and had embarked on his next life’s journey.

Mere months after his wife’s death Robert retired from his career of more than 30 years in the United Societies Marshals Service, Judicial Security Division (JSD) (collecting a full pension in the process) and began to fulfill his lifelong ambition to become the proud owner of a local pub and eatery. Financed by the sale of his home in the Circle View suburbs of Epic City Robert purchased the very same old English lodge that he and many of his law enforcement friends often frequented in the 1st District.

Robert spent the next six months renovating the old pub in the style of rich wood and leather complimented by authentic law enforcement decorations and mementos of all kinds from all eras of Epic City’s development. Robert’s purchase of the old English pub also included the spacious living quarters in the two stories above the tavern commons. These too Robert refined and redecorated until he was finally at home in his new surroundings. Renaming the pub Marshal’s Robert opened shop surrounded by friends and family.

Things were good for Robert. His new business garnered such complete support from many lifelong compatriots of the diverse levels of law and government that there was rarely a moment when Marshal’s wasn’t alive with merriment. His staff quickly proved themselves to be trustworthy and skilled, gradually forming a “second family” atmosphere at Marshal’s and his grandchildren absolutely loved their grandpa’s new city digs. Robert’s life was finally settling into an easy pattern of joy and contentment that fulfilled his wildest dreams, despite the ever-present fact that he was achieving them without his cherished Jackie.

Then THEY arrived...

The Amlem 3 Extinction Wave, an armada of war ships from the extinct planet of Amlem 3, had been searching for the Accord Unimind Crystal for thousands of years. Finally they had traced it back to Earth. Their invasion of the third planet from our sun was brutal and complete. Soon they took to experimentation on humans in an attempt to rebuild their dwindling numbers. Robert Eisner was one of the unfortunates subjected to the horrors of the Rejuvenation project. For days he endured the cutting and probing until, finally, he was approved to move into the final nanite introduction stages of the process. Soon he would be a new Amlem 3 supersoldier, deployed to eliminate the super human forces of Earth that had sprung up in meager defence of their ravaged planet.

Luckily for Robert, those meager superheroic forces of Earth were up to the challenge of defending their planet from extinction. The final conflict happened just as Robert's rejuvenation process was being finalized. He woke from his artificial coma to find the spaceship he, and many other test subjects, was on tearing itself apart as it followed its artificially introduced flight program into the sun. Thinking quickly he donned a nearby Amlem 3 space suit and bent his newfound abilities to saving as many onboard as possible before the ship disintigrated in the quickly approaching gravity well of our yellow star.

When it was all over and Earth was safe, the revived (and now blue) Robert Eisner was once again inducted into the USA Marshals Service. Taking the name Phenom, he serves to protect Epic City and the Earth should another threat like the Amlem 3 Extinction Wave ever appear.

Sylvia Blanche was a slow developing psychic. She'd always been a bit empathic even as a child few could hide their feelings from her. That talent grew, and developed...but oh so slowly. It wasn't till she was thirty five that she started picking up thoughts. She ended up being something of a glorified meddler for a decade but by the time she was 45, her powers had honed to the point of reading minds with great ease and the government was asking her help in probing the minds of captured terrorists to find where bombs might be hidden, and more. Eventually she wanted a break (And she didn't approve of some of the of the blacker ops that the government was considering with her) so she faked a loss of her powers, or at least a weakening.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Beyond mere telepathy, Sylvia has full blown mind control, and many other psychic powers that would put her firmly in the realm of superhero...if she weren't so physically frail. She's now 67 years old, and while she is cautious in the use of her powers, she's happy to help 'the boys' as DragonEye

Forgot to mention a new theme for a team

The Fishnet Five

A common power source, each member has a set of magic fishnet stockings that grants them superpowers! The magic apparently requires that the fishnets be worn AND on display (at least the majority of it) or the powers don't work. Each member has no powers of their own, so if while they may find it embarrassing they'll just have to cope.

And yeah, it would work for a guy as well. :eek:

The team mates have been dubbed the "Fishnet Five" by the press, a label they'd love to change, but can't shake. Each member found the fishnets in odd places, but there is no denying each pair has a common creator.

EDIT: I thought about doing something deep and meaningful instead, but then I remembered an old WWYCD I did, the answers amused me so ... back to shallow land

Meredith Brisbane accompanied her husband to a new archeological dig in the outskirts of Greece, where Dr. Brisbane was certain he had discovered the true remnants of an ancient theatre. Dr. Brisbane readied his findings, positive that they would change the world's understanding of philosophy and, more specifically, the writings and history of Socrates.

As was often the case on these long and dirty digs Meredith busied herself by henpecking the volunteers, interns and, more than anyone else, her husband. She was always an unwelcome sight at one of Dr. Brisbane's digs. Wherever she went she sowed anxiety and discontent. Normally, Meredith's harassments went ignored by the good doctor, his associates forced to take the brunt of her wrath. But on this auspicious occasion Dr. Brisbane would have none of it.

In an uncharacteristic flash of anger and contempt Dr. Brisbane ordered Meredith off his sight. His actions brought applause from his fellows and ended days of unwarranted berating at the hands of his wife. Stunned, Meredith wandered the edge of the dig for hours. Her random meanderings finally led her to an old, and yet unexplored, part of the dig. Entering a dusty room that had recently been exhumed she noticed an ancient trunk, partially hidden by debris and obviously untouched for centuries. Curiosity got the best of her and se opened it. Within, to her delight, she found a trove of beautiful Grecian clothing. Immediately , her minds eye was focussed on Socrates, politicians and philosophers hurrying to this place as they changed into their finery. Caught up in the excitement of her discovery (and totally unconcerned about things like conservation) she joyously began her own private fashion show.

Later that day Meredith was heralded for her fantastic discovery. She enjoyed the attention. Dr. Brisbane did not.

Ultimately Dr. Brisbane's theories about Socrates and his dig remained unconfirmed, the only successful find; the wonderful costumes discovered by his wife. With his reputation sullied and full of disdain for his wife Dr. Brisbane left his life in Europe and took a job in the States. Divorce soon followed. But Meredith didn't care, for she was buoyed by a secret.

For weeks Meredith had been living a clandestine second life as a superhero. While most of the costumes she donned at the old theatre were just pretty, one item seemed extraordinarily special. At first, they were just fishnet stockings, but every inch further she slid them up her legs, she could feel their power swelling... She kept them.

Now adorned with the mystical golden fishnets Meredith Brisbane channels the spirit of the wife of Socrates... Calling herself Xanthippe she uses her power to right (or at least point out) the wrongs of man. ;)

Brom Ainstree was an aspiring actor, and had been since he saw his first horror film as a child. He loved them all, from the experimental silents, through the classic Universal films, to the glitzy modern spectacles. But there are thousands of aspiring actors in Hollywood, and he hadn't been able to crack the movies beyond extra level yet. Good thing he actually had some talent, and could find stage plays willing to hire.

Then came a break. One of the low-rent theatrical companies was doing a production of an SF/horror musical, and they tapped Brom to be the understudy of the lead! It was a tough role, with a lot of singing, and the costume was...kind of embarrassing, but if he got the chance, Brom knew he could shine. Sure enough, two weeks into the run, the primary lead called in sick, and an hour before the performance, Brom was hastily getting prepared. It was at this point that he noticed that mice had gotten at the fishnet stockings he'd been fitted for. The harried costume manager suggested checking in the back trunks labeled "stockings" to see if anything would work.

By golly, there was an intact pair of fishnets in one trunk! They looked a bit small, but with a little effort, Brom was able to get them on and move on to the makeup stand.

Then, magic happened. During Brom's first number, he actually felt the stockings, the whole costume become more comfortable, his voice finding the right notes natural instead of practiced, his movements becoming fluid and elegant. The reviews for that night's performance were enthusiastic indeed.

Brom looked in the mirror as he prepared to remove his makeup...only to find that he wasn't wearing any! The character's face was his face! Horrified, he began schucking his costume to get to the hospital. But as the fishnet stockings came off, he felt his face return to normal...covered with makeup. By experimenting, Brom discovered that while wearing the magic fishnets, he can make himself look like any of his favorite movie "monsters" or antagonist characters, complete with as much of their skills and powers as his "special effects budget" can maintain. (He makes a very puny Godzilla.) However, no matter the form he shifts into, it will visibly be wearing fishnet stockings.

Now as Horrorshow, Brom helps the Fishnet Five in between bookings. He does not get on well with Xantippe, to absolutely no one's surprise.

It's all Marty Richards fault, the stupid jock ! He had to goad Merry into the bet and she is convinced as we all are that he fixed it.

If Merry, well Meredith Chamberlain the library assistant, had just been absent maybe none of this would have happened. She always dressed down but none of us thought she might be THAT pretty without the severe hair style and the glasses. So Merry loses and has to dress up in a basque and boots and fishnet stockings and ditch the glasses much to the boys delight. Degenerates the lot of them !

Only when she was changing some oldperson I don't know if it was a man or a woman gave her a pair of fishnet stockings. They said 'Here my dear, you'll find these useful.'

And that's when Merry went from Mouse to Tiger in one frightening second. Oh the boys got a good look at the new look Merry alright before she flattened the lot of them and stuck Marty upside down in the basketball net. She was vivacious ! Devastating ! She kissed Coach Carlson on the mouth and he's like 50 ! Gross !

Then she goes outside the school and starts fighting crime. What on Earth ? And she don't need the glasses when she is wearing that get up. Weird. And now she is hanging out with those other weirdoes and beating up crooks. It is just too much.

Meredith's parents are worried with the daughter having a public ID. She does not wear a mask. They are also concerned about her change of personality. The bookish solitary loner has gone and been replaced by a gregarious, fun lover. It does neither of them good to see her on TV going 'Oh goodie ! Muggers !' before beating said people senseless and leaving them in a dumpster.

EDIT: Somebody had to do real shallow. I called dibs. Meredith is more agile than before and certainly a lot stronger. But the extent of her powers is not yet known.