Create a Hero Theme Team!

Cygnia

Re: Create a Hero Theme Team!

Adam Harding always had big hands, and feet. He hulked above the other kids in the neighborhood. His love was mysteries. No book went unread until he figured out who done it in the end. He even solved minor mysteries around the family home, and neighborhood.

The change caused him to grow an abnormal amount of hair, develop perhensibility in his feet, and put a lot of muscle on his frame.

He tries to put a good face on it, but he is not really fond of being called Chimp by anyone.

CES

Hiram Harding was a talented baseball player in 1941, though he was still on a farm team. He was adequate at throwing, pretty good at fielding, darn good at batting, and one of the best at running. But then came Pearl Harbor, and being a patriotic red-blooded American, Hiram volunteered for the Army. His career as a soldier wasn't particularly noteworthy, but towards the end of the war, Hiram caught some shrapnel in his legs.

Hiram could still walk with the help of canes, but his career as a baseball player was over. Out of pity, and because employing a veteran was good publicity, the manager of his old team hired Hiram on as an assistant coach. Hiram turned out to be a good coach, and after a few years was head coach for the team. He got married and had a passel of kids. Over time, Hiram moved from small-time teams to larger market ones, and better salaries. Towards the end of his career, he even finally got to coach a major league team for a couple of years.

Retirement didn't go well for Hiram. His beloved wife passed away, his legs worsened until he had to use a wheelchair, and senility crept into his brain. By the time of the family picnic, Grandpa Harding was there mostly by courtesy, and the daughter who was supposed to be caretaking him for the day just parked his chair down by the lake and went off to gossip. He could only watch, barely comphrehending, as the wave washed over him.

Hiram was restored by the strange phenomenon. He looks as he did in his fifties, but his health and vigor are as they were back in the 1940s, his legs completely healed. His mind became sharp again, though he is missing most memories of the decade just prior to his rejuvenation.

Coach Harding carries a baseball bat as a weapon, but his greatest ability is being able to give useful instruction to others, allowing them to hit harder, run faster, throw better, and generally be more effective at whatever it is they do.

"But Mom," Meg groaned in her best put upon teenage voice, "I don't want to go to the family reunion. It's so Boooring!! All we do is stand around with a bunch of people we never hear from."

"Megan Ophelia Harding," Mom came back in that voice that sounded like I was stepping on her last nerve or something. "You will mind your manners and be on your best behavior and the reunion. Now get your brother Karl together. It's a three hour drive to the lake, don'tcha know, and Daddy wants to get a jump on the traffic."

I only had one chance of escape left as I frantically looked around the kitchen. Karl, of course just sat in his high chair and burbled at me. Cute kid, but I wasn't having any of it. Flora and I were supposed to go to the mall today. Okay, sure, we go to the mall almost every day, but I really ddin't care. This was my free time we're talking about.

"Daddy?" I called out in desperation.

"Mind your Mother," a reply came from the living followed by the front door slamming shut.

With sullen eyes I turned to look at Mom and had to groan inside. She had that look on her face. Yeah, you know the one. Sighing my best sigh I picked on the drooling machine and headed for the Explorer.

You know a three hour drive can be almost like forever. Karl sat in his car seat making bubbles with his drool while Daddy drove like a man possessed. As for me, thank God I had my Ipod and my tunes. Sixteen towns, countless cows that Karl got so excited about seeing, and only one potty break, thank you Daddy so much, we were at the lake. A huge banner proclaimed "Harding Family Reunion."

I slammed the door to the Explorer and stalking towards the lake furious that they made me come. I saw Grandpa H. sitting by himself in his chair, but I ignored him. Senioritlity, don'tcha know. I picked up a few rocked and skipped them across the still waters.

"Hey you're pretty good at that," a male voice came from behind me. I casually looked over my shoulder to see a boy about my age with a wide grin on his face.

"Thanks," I said, "I was thinking about trying out for it in the Olympics."

We both had a laugh over my joke.

"I'm Myles Harding," he said offering a hand, which I shook.

"I guess we're cousins." I said lamely.

Again came the laugh.

"Want to get something to eat?" Myles asked. "Seeing how much food our mothers brought it would be a shame if we didn't eat some of it."

I eyed Myles before shouting, "I'll race you!"

I sprinted towards the picnic tables with Myles hot on my feet. However, we didn't get far. There was this streak of light over the park followed by an explosion on the lake. Myles and I were thrown to the ground. I thought I heard a dog barking or wimping nearby. And then we were soaked to skin as a tsunami of lake water rolled over us like a drunk in a mosh pit. I gagged on the foul tasting water.

My clothes were ruined. I got to my feet suprised I wasn't hurt in anyway.

"Myles!" I shouted seeing that he was still on the ground, looking out of it. In a blink I was next to him checking for a pulse. Oh no, Myles wasn't breathing. Immediately I bent over giving him mouth-to-mouth. It wasn't until later that I thought how weird it was. However, it only took one breathe to revive him.

I leapted into the air in joy at saving him. The people in the plane looked almost as surprised as I was as I flew by their windows. Without thinking I waved at them and a few of them waved back. Scared out of my mind, but excited all the same I flew back to park.

I felt so powerful. On impulse I want to the lake and picked up a boulder and skipped it across the water.

"Myles" I said turning to look for my cousin. "Did you see that? Did you?"

However, Myles wasn't there anymore. I later learned that he had ran over three states away before coming to a stop.

My life has changed since that day at the lake. Several members of the Harding family have gained superpowers from getting drenched. My friends are so jealous. I even got a super hero costume that makes me look, oh so mature, and the coolest code name ever. People call me Omega, can you believe it. Maybe going to that lame family reunion wasn't so bad after all.

Arc, that was great, and having seen Omega in the animated art thread, I find the idea that she's joined a team outside the family as well as working with the Hard Line :)

Mind if I steal...er borrow for you and work on Myles? It's that sort of interconnection I'm hoping for

Aunt Misty never married

she taught math and english all her life and had retired to painting

watching the glinting of the sun reflected with the spectacle caught in each troth of each wavelet

so many perspective angles throwing the sun's image across the surface of the lake

when the meteor struck the water

Aunt Misty saw everything as the lake splashed into the family

in the reflect image cast by each drop of hanging mist.

Misty can summon a large cloud of mist

that obscures others visions

while giving Misty area of effect clairvoyance (the cloud must be in Misty's line of site)

Myles aka "Miles"

I felt really weird without my glasses, but I was getting used to the contacts. It had been a pain to end up worrying about breaking the stupid things all the time, but maybe now I could play a little basketball with my friends without screaming 'not the face, not the face!' all the time. Of course, hoping my uncovered eyes would wow some hot girls was out, seeing as mom, dad, sis and I were about to head towards ye olde Harding family reunion and the only girls I'd be meeting would be related one way or another. Still, I tried not to let that get me down. Heck, the kinfolk might not even recognize me because I figured getting contacts was a pretty big change.

Man, I had no idea.

Mom has no respect for Child labor laws, so sis and I (more me than Sis, I thought. She gets out of everything) ended up carrying more potato salad than any human being should see in a 24 hour period. Dad started talking to his brother, and I saw mom look sympathetically at Grandpa at the lake. I didn't like to think about Grandpa H like that. He used to be so, y'know, lively. Dude fought in the war? How cool is that?

I had no idea then that Grandpa was going to be just fine again and very soon.

Dad, who believes it a mortal offense NOT to socialize at these things noticed me dawdling and gave me a look. I didn't really need to guess what the look meant. 'Mingle, or I'll have your mother give you more work to do'. SO... I mingled.

I didn't recognize a lot of the folks here, but thank god, there was at least some of them my age. I walked over to the lake to find Megan. Though I didn't know that was her name at the time. She was chucking rocks across the pond, pretty good skip too, so having nothing better to say 'hi' with, I commented on it.

We joked a bit, she was kind of funny too. The smell of food was getting to me though so, well, let's just say if it wasn't for my stomach, at least two folks might not have been changed. I mentioned we should enjoy the munchies (Only fair, I'd helped lay them out , after all) and then she challenged me to a race. I started to reach for my glasses, to put them away, and then realized that 'Doh' I don't wear those anymore. Grinning at that thought, I figured I might actually be up to something athletic and ZOOOM...

ok, she was faster than me, so she was the zoom I was kind of on high putter.

I think I heard mom call out at us to 'be careful you two' and sis made some snide comment (I didn't hear it, but sis only has so many vocal settings: Screech, whine, fake innocence, and snide so I assumed it was snide) as I ran by her. I really wanted to win this race.

Yeah, 'run forrest run' was at the top of my brain at the time. I wonder if that's why I got the power I did.

Yeah, I'm mixing my tenses, but this is my story, and Ms. habberdit my @### English teacher is nowhere around

Next thing I knew, there was a massive BLOOM SPLASH! I turned to see what had happened... BIG mistake. I somehow ended up sucking loads of lake water straight down, and ... well, the next thing I remembered was coughing with Megan looking over me. I'd later realize she saved my life. I guess that means that I get to be the first person Omega saved, come to think of it. But waking up, observing all the transformations around me (Poor Chimp...) I kind of freaked out got to my feet and ran... like three states.

Thank goodness my cellphone was on me and worked. Eventually I got back, after figuring out where the heck I was. By then though "Myles Harding: The world's fastest teenager" was on the news though. Some cops and traffic cameras clocked me. Yes, in retrospect, I facepalm but hey, I had a hard time controlling my speed at first.

See, I wasn't the only member of my immediate family that got changed. In fact, mom was near grandpa, dad was near mom, and sis was near the picnic tables "before I could hog it all". So we all got dunked. The family dynamic is a bit weird now for us. Each of the four of us have powers, and mom and dad look in great shape and younger. Even after the reunion, our house kept getting phone calls. Folks wanting news reports, that sort of thing, but also wanting 'the superheroes' to help!

It started out small, we helped one or two folks, but then they told two friends, and the next thing you know our home town sees us as 'their heroes' . It's got a lot of perks actually, now that mom and dad seem to realize that NOT heroing isn't going to keep some whackjob from trying to kidnap or kill us all and we do a lot of good.

Sucks that the only women in costumes around me are related though :( Normal girlfriends always end up kidnapped and stuff.

I really have GOT to get Megan/Omega to introduce me to her friends on American Girlz.

If you want another family member to write about, Either of Myles' parents or his sister is available. While Myles no longer needs contacts of any sort, he's was a bit blind in more than one way because his parents have been having marital problems and he was oblivious to it. Whether gaining powers has helped them resolve issues, or instead brought new temptations/problems to them is up to your speculation.

While his sister and he argue like, well, siblings, I imagine him to be on good terms with most of the extended family especially now that they're suddenly interesting

Yes, a family reunion! Let's see if I have everything: sliding rings, balls and cups, stuffed rabbit, big empty hat, playing cards, plenty of coins, cape, portable curtain, newspaper, silk handkerchief. fake handcuffs, and assorted magic boxes.

Oh, the how the kids love Uncle Owen! (or so his mind thinks). I can't wait to hear those oohs and aahhs and cheers.

I've just got to get there early!

"Hiram! How's life been treating you?"

"Yes, I may have gained a few pounds?"

"Oh, do you like my Hawaiian shirt?"

"Alan! Can I use your dog Rex for one of my tricks? I promise I won't hurt him? - Oh, he's not feeling well?"

"Adam! How's the 'chimp" off the old block. I've got a new book for you. A brand new mystery just out. - Did you say something about 'chimp'?

"Amanda! How's my baby sister. Who's got a big hug for her big brother. Oh hi, Carl, where's Megan? By the lake? I've got my coin out of the ear trick ready to go. She loved that trick 5 years ago at the last reunion. Oh, and this must be baby Karl! Who's a whooshie whoo? Who muggle muggle moo? Oh, you do! Oh, you do! Oh how I love to see kids smile"

"Misty! Come give your big brother a hug. No prospects for marriage huh? Well, maybe one day!

"Brian!, give your little brother a hug! Katy, yes you too, Brenda? Maybe next time. Is that a coin in your ear? Well, would you look at that. Where's Miles? Oh, he's by the water too? Where's his glasses. I'm going to go see them!"

"My word. is that a - a meteor? Or is it meteorite? I'll have to ask Misty.

"Kids watch out!

Owen pants, huffing and puffing when the splash occurs. Is anyone hurt? Hiram! The next thing he know is that he's standing right next to Hiram. He didn't run inbetween either! He stairs down at the potato salad. "KAZAM!" It's now in his hand! Awesome! This year's 'show' is going to be THE BEST, now that he can do real tricks. Mmmm good potato salad.

Note: I realize that was 7 but letting people go on if they want.

I vote let it run a couple more. I don't have a contribution but I like the premise.

Lucius Alexander

at the Palindromedary-Backandforthtrian reunion

Olivia Cooper (formerly Cooper-Harding, now back to her maiden name) was uncomfortable. This was the first family gathering she had attended of Mike's since he passed away. She didn't want to be here, but was finally pressured/guilted into going for the sake of Carrie-Ann, who hadn't seen her cousins in so long. It had, of course, been exactly what Olivia expected. Awkward condolences, half-hearted offers of assistance and promises neither side had intentions of keeping of staying in touch. She had never really felt accepted by Mike's family in the first place. Though the family was certainly large enough and not every Harding was difficult to be around. Some were actually very nice. It was really Mike's immediate family that hated her, specifically her brother-in-law Kenny and his wife Brianna. Kenny despised Olivia, claiming she had "brainwashed" Mike into rejecting Kenny's brand of faith (a version of misogynist racist homophobic fundie-ism that would have warmed the black subcockles of Mel Gibson's excuse of a heart), hating the fact that she was a career woman while Mike willingly stayed at home with Carrie-Ann and overall blaming her for Mike's cancer. True, Kenny was more than a bit of an embarrassment to the Hardings, but he was blood and that unfortunately kept a lot of the rest of the family quiet.

And then the meteor hit.

Olivia had thankfully gotten Carrie-Ann out of the blast area in time, but she herself had been affected by it. She had enhanced strength and durability and could duplicate herself. Now yet again Olivia is being guilted and pressured into staying with the Hard Line. Worse still, Kenny and Brianna are now making a play for custody for Carrie-Ann. However, this time Deuce isn't going down without a fight. In her time in the superheroic community, Olivia has been making a LOT of legal, media and law enforcement contacts. If the rest of the Hardings won't stand by her in this time of need, she'll make sure she has the popular support of people who WILL.

Olivia does not want to be a hero. However, this doesn't mean she wants to use her powers for villainy. If anything, she wants her powers GONE and her life back to normal. If she can't have that, she's looking to sign on with a government sanctioned super team away from the Hardings' that can also protect Carrie-Ann. The last thing she wants is Kenny and Brianna having ANY influence over her daughter's life. Kenny & Brianna, meanwhile, never got "blessed" with powers. This has only increased their rage against Olivia.

Yes, a family reunion! Let's see if I have everything: sliding rings, balls and cups, stuffed rabbit, big empty hat, playing cards, plenty of coins, cape, portable curtain, newspaper, silk handkerchief. fake handcuffs, and assorted magic boxes.

Oh, the how the kids love Uncle Owen! (or so his mind thinks). I can't wait to hear those oohs and aahhs and cheers.

I've just got to get there early!

"Hiram! How's life been treating you?"

"Yes, I may have gained a few pounds?"

"Oh, do you like my Hawaiian shirt?"

"Alan! Can I use your dog Rex for one of my tricks? I promise I won't hurt him? - Oh, he's not feeling well?"

"Adam! How's the 'chimp" off the old block. I've got a new book for you. A brand new mystery just out. - Did you say something about 'chimp'?

"Amanda! How's my baby sister. Who's got a big hug for her big brother. Oh hi, Carl, where's Megan? By the lake? I've got my coin out of the ear trick ready to go. She loved that trick 5 years ago at the last reunion. Oh, and this must be baby Karl! Who's a whooshie whoo? Who muggle muggle moo? Oh, you do! Oh, you do! Oh how I love to see kids smile"

"Misty! Come give your big brother a hug. No prospects for marriage huh? Well, maybe one day!

"Brian!, give your little brother a hug! Katy, yes you too, Brenda? Maybe next time. Is that a coin in your ear? Well, would you look at that. Where's Miles? Oh, he's by the water too? Where's his glasses. I'm going to go see them!"

"My word. is that a - a meteor? Or is it meteorite? I'll have to ask Misty.

"Kids watch out!

Owen pants, huffing and puffing when the splash occurs. Is anyone hurt? Hiram! The next thing he know is that he's standing right next to Hiram. He didn't run inbetween either! He stairs down at the potato salad. "KAZAM!" It's now in his hand! Awesome! This year's 'show' is going to be THE BEST, now that he can do real tricks. Mmmm good potato salad.

In case you didn't notice. His "super hero" name is Kazam.

"I still say we don't have to go." Jerry Harding said as he threw his cigarette butt out the window, and lit another one.

"You keep this up, and I'll think you don't want me to meet your family." Carol said.

"I don't. Hell I didn't even want to meet yours. I'm dating you not your family."

"So how are you related again?"

"Well my closest relatives Are Misty and that idiot Owen. My dad was their cousin. At least one of them is bound to be there."

Carol smiled. "Your just mad at Owen cause he won't tell you how he does his tricks."

"Not anymore. I bought four magic books, I probably know more ways to do his tricks than he does."

"Anyone else I should know about?"

"Well Misty and Adam are somewhat tolerable. Keen minds and Misty is an artist as well. Adam's a big mystery fan. Almost as perceprtive as me. Then theres Hiram. Who back in his day would have been tolerable, but well he's gotten a bit dogey these days. Give you odds he'll be pretty well ignored."

Carol laughed.

"What?" Jerry asked.

"You like pretending you don't care about anyone. Just want to stand apart from humanity. Their 'tolerable', but your awfully concerned about Hiram. Good to know for when we get married."

Jerry looked at her. "Who said I was gonna marry you?"

"Relax. I'll wait 20 years for you to not ask before I lock you in the basement till you agree."

Jerry smiled.

"Just one thing. You smoke and drink too much, so either thats your last cigarette till this is over or no drinking."

"There is a third thing I like to do."

"Oh that's fine depending on privacy."

They has arrived. Jerry did half a round. He spoke to Misty and Adam. Then he spotted Kenny. Never one to miss a chance to jerk some bible thumpers chain, he had to make a comment. He noticed Owen arrive. He really wanted to fowl up the magic show, but eh. Most of these people were just putting on fake smiles,Owen's was real. Jerry decide to let it pass. Then he spotted Olive and considered saying something. But changed his mind. He just couldn't offer condolances to someone he didn't know over someone he barely knew. Besides from what he had heard of the mini family feud she was whiney. If he had been in her shoes instead of trying to drum up support he'd give Kenny an accident. With Carol safely busy helping set up, and charming everyone. He wandered down to the lake. Just as he predicted Hiram had been dumped. Some relative was playinfg with his dog. Oh yeah Alan. Nice kid, so far as Jerry could stomach kids. Two more chating further down. No doubt complaining about being stuck here. Smart kids. A meteor was heading right for him. What? No the lake. Hiram. Jerry had always known in such a situation his insticts would be self preservation. Turns out he was wrong. He had no chance of getting there in time, but he was running to get Hiram.

As he knew he would be he was too late. The water splashed in his face, he's sure he swallowed some. Tryong to look everywhere at once to asses the damage he fell. He started to get up when two powerful hands picked him up. This didn't surprise him, but that the hands weren't attached to anything did.

Jerry found himself with hightened sences, and the ability to project force mainly as a pair of telekenitic hands, but also as a means of repeling damage. He has also built a few things to help him in the "Field". Not that he goes out into it much. Jerry never has liked people much, but he does like to pull jerks chains. Now if only the papers would stop calling him Hardforce. Hardforce? Really? What idiot came up with that anyway?

O.k. so that's 9 and onward. We go from family conections to social. Room 507 of the local college. Between the heat of the boiler, and the stench of the chem lab not a part of the college where most people want to hang out. Which is why they tend to end up there. The larpers, the science geeks, the uncool kids, the people who want to use college resources, but aren't somebody. Somehow they all end up in room 507. Then one day, to be precisce the day after superheroes had a big fight with Istvatha V'han's force, someone came in with the device. Saner heads suggestled leaving it alone. However someone hit either the right or wrong button. Suddenly a sort of black hole opened in the room. Everyone felt something being drawn out of them, but it was quickly replaced with great power. Th device made a small pop sound and turned to ash. As the hole closed everyone in room 507 realized they had had an origin. After much arguing they finally agrred to call themselves the Offcasts. A group of 6-8 members.

The LARPer: Jake Parker had been LARPing (Live Action Role-Playing) since before he was able to get a driver's license. After the device filled him with strange alien energies he found that the gestures used in various LARPs actually affected the real world, now. By crossing his arms across his chest he could become invisible. When he pointed a finger to his eye or ear he gained hightened senses of vision or hearing. He also found that by pumping his fist 3 times and making either a rock,scissors or paper with his hand he caused the following effects: Rock=TK "Punch" to target, Scissors=RKA "Cut" to a target, Paper=Entangle "Covers" a target. Another side-effect of Jake's new powers is that his clothes change at will to any charcter costume he can think of. Usually something gothic (he was really into Vampire-style LARPs) but he has been experimenting with different superhero-style costumes with a stylized Rock/Scissors/Paper symbol on the chest and a cape...

Room 507 of the local college. Between the heat of the boiler' date=' and the stench of the chem lab not a part of the college where most people want to hang out. Which is why they tend to end up there. The larpers, the science geeks, the uncool kids, the people who want to use college resources, but aren't somebody. Somehow they all end up in room 507. Then one day, to be precisce the day after superheroes had a big fight with Istvatha V'han's force, someone came in with the device. Saner heads suggestled leaving it alone. However someone hit either the right or wrong button. Suddenly a sort of black hole opened in the room. Everyone felt something being drawn out of them, but it was quickly replaced with great power. Th device made a small pop sound and turned to ash. As the hole closed everyone in room 507 realized they had had an origin. After much arguing they finally agrred to call themselves the Offcasts. A group of 6-8 members.[/quote]

Timothy Morrow was pretending to read his calculus textbook, but he was really gazing at Tori Day. She was beautiful (even if she denied it), intelligent, and... well, as far as Tim was concerned she was perfect. He still had no idea why she hung around in room 507 with all the college castoffs. If only he could work up then nerve to ask her out! But no, a girl like Tori would never go for a guy like Tim. Hawt girls like her just don't go for science geek losers like him. It's probably written down in the school charter or something.

He heard her laugh, and stole another glance. She was talking to that Pete guy, another science geek like him but without the glasses and leftover high school acne. What was that he had on the desk? At first, Tim thought it was a science project, but then he realized there was no way Pete, or any other student there had put it together. It looked... otherworldly. Like a toaster oven designed by Tesla and Escher, and built by Martians.

"I found it over by Mason Hall," Pete was saying. "Late last night, near where the Constitutional Guard kicked Istvatha V'han's goons back to their home dimension. The Disaster Corp must have missed it when they were doing clean-up."

"Um, Pete," said somebody (Tim didn't notice who), "it's probably not a good idea to mess with that. We should contact PRIMUS or something."

Pete rolled his eyes. "Oh, yeah, what are they going to do? Study it to death? Gimme a break."

Tim noticed that Tori seemed to find that amusing, so he didn't voice his own concerns about messing with whatever-it-is. He walked over as Pete started to point out things on the device.

"Besides, I'm sure it can't do anything. That looks like a power input," Pete said, pointing to a five-plug hole in the side. "I think this is an input terminal," he said, pointing at three rows of buttons. At that moment, one of the other students jostled Tim, and he bumped into Pete, causing his hand to hit a number of buttons.

A high-pitched whine filled the room, causing many of the students to cover their ears. Suddenly, a strangely colored hole opened in the air above the device, sucking in things -- papers, pens, Tori's hair clip -- for a brief moment. Tim even felt something being pulled from inside him, he didn't know what, and then felt that void inside him being filled with... something. Tim couldn't say what, but he wanted more of it. And then just as suddenly as the hole appeared, it disappeared. The device made a slight popping noise, followed by a puff of smoke. No, not a puff, more like a small cloud. And when it cleared, the device was a pile of ash.

Pete looked over his shoulder and glared. "Good going, Tim. Look what you did!"

"What I did?! You're the one that was messing with it! I knew something like this was going to happen!" He turned away and started to gather his books. "C'mon, Tori, let's get out of here before Pete burns down the whole building." But when he touched her arm, she disappeared. "What the...?!"

Luckily for Tim, everybody else was talking or arguing, so nobody noticed Tori disappear. But Tim knew that something had happened, and he was afraid he had disintegrated her somehow. He fell into a seat and put his head in his hands. "Oh, no! What have I done?! Not Tori!"

"Not Tori what, Tim? And where did everyone else go?"

Tim looked up to see Tori standing in front of him, and that they were alone in Room 507. "Uh... I have no idea." He looked around, confused. "So... I didn't disintegrate you?"

"Noooo...." Tori shook her head. "Not sure why you think you did either. What happened?"

At that moment, Jake walked in. "Tim? Tori? What happened to the two of you? I've been looking for you since yesterday! You've gotta see this!" He crossed his arms on his chest, and then disappeared. His disembodied voice came from where he had been standing. "Isn't this the coolest thing you've ever seen?"

- - - - - - -

It didn't take Tim long to figure out that he could send things or people 24 hours into the future. And with a little extra effort, he could even do so himself. It took him a little longer to find out he could do the same backwards, sending things, people, or himself back in time 24 hours. However, his fear of creating paradoxes keeps him from using that ability very often. Taking the name Skip Time, he enjoys disarming his opponents by sending their weapons forward in time. He also occasionally bounces his own teammates forward, jumps forward himself, and then has them move somewhere else before sending them back. (To the casual observer, it looks like he's teleporting others and himself, though anyone around the next day will see them pop in, move around, then pop back out.)

The thing that left Tim was his shyness and self-doubt, especially around girls. He's now more assertive, at times a bit aggressively so. To tell the truth, it's not always the best fit for him, and he's alienated a few of his former friends along the way.

Trev Floyd had already won numerous medals in judo, fencing, boxing. he was a fighting machine. His exposure to the blasting hole of energy only made him that much more effective. And then he added on a steel melting punch.

Too bad he was a bright shade of PINK in action.

CES

Hannah Rivers had always been socially awkward, even among the outcasts and geeks. Still, at college at least, she had been doing her best to mingle, break out of her shell and even made some friends.

Then she got hit with the alien energy.

Already intelligent, it now increased her speed of thought to the point of precognition, enabling her to "see" into the future. Unfortunately, the price it took was all the social face-to-face progress she had made with other people. Calling herself Box, Hannah is now a complete agoraphobic, coordinating matters for the rest of the team from the safety of her (now VERY well-secured) single dorm room.

Hope Bolo doesn't mind me borrowing a line from his write up, it looked like an opening

-------------

At that moment, one of the other students jostled Tim, and he bumped into Pete, causing his hand to hit a number of buttons.

That, by the way, was totally me, Edmund Heiser. Well, me and my Tuba. I guess I was stressing out. Tuba scholarships are pretty darn rare, and ...y know, back in highschool, I always considered myself kind of rowdy...for a band geek. But I came from a small high school, a small pond, and felt like I was a big fish...turned out I wasn't. Geez, the musical talent here was so damn good. I Had to keep practicing, so I didn't even NOTICE the Pete and Tim, let alone that weird device. So I'm heading out of 507, looking for a private place to practice (Trust me, you want to make enemies, practice your tuba in enclosed space with a group of harried students) and I wave to Hannah because it's so rare she comes out and...

thunk whack beep beep

So...totally my fault, I suppose, though Pete really should NOT have been tinkering with that thing.

To make matters worse, the damn black hole (The science geeks had other terms for it, but I'm calling it a blackhole for simplicity's sake) ate Bessie!

Ah, Bessie would be my Tuba.

I was in a panic. Do you have any idea how much a tuba costs ? But Bessie didn't go alone... I felt a yanking sensation, and then something in ME was gone too. And you know what? It felt, ok. Suddenly my panic died, not just about alien weirdness... but about a lot of things. So I lost a tuba? At least I was alive. And you know what, if I'm not the best tuba player in the world, that's fine. Heck, maybe tubas aren't for me. If I can't afford college, I'll get by somehow. Why sweat the small stuff, and it's ALL small stuff.

Which I've got to tell you, was a philosophy I'd always envied but never been able to practice until after the event.

I noticed Tim disintegrate Tori.... ok, not really, and good thing because he's had the hots for her forever, I could tell. His new confidence is cool, though he needs to mellow out a bit now imho. I think I saw Darla melt but turns out she's a shape changer now... Anyway, we all got powers.

And mine?

This is cool

Want to hear it?

I'm telling you anyway

I turn into an 10 foot tall muscular looking man-statue coated in some nigh invulnerable brass like substance! Yeah! One of the comic geeks filled me in, told me that there was a mutant kind of like that, but he was more steel. Brass is fine by me though, I'm used to it. Superstrong, super tough, a LITTLE heavy, but I can turn back so no worries.

And now we're fighting crime. I suppose I should be freaking out about that, but I just take it one thing at a time. Some of the guys are saying I'm overconfident, or need to focus more, but I'm doing good things AND having a great time. C'mon, what's the worse that could happen?

Oh... my superhero name?

The Campus Newspaper has dubbed me THE BIG BRASS ONE!

It's cheesy, and a bit on the nose, and gets snickers, but I'm not concerned. In a way, I like to think my powers were a little gift from Bessie from the great beyond.

Thanks, Bessie.

Edmund was a real worry wart. He stressed over every little thing, be it music, making friends, studies, etc. Now, he doesn't worry much at all. He has a very 'whatever will be, will be' attitude on most things now, and doesn't worry about tomorrow. For the most part, this has been positive, but it does has it's down side as he somewhat neglects studies, or is overly optimistic instead of realistic now. He's more popular with his friends now, as before he was always worrying openly, bordering on whining, and they have noticed the change.

Tori Day liked being the only girl in the Chess Club most of the time, but every so often the intense interest of the male members got to be a bit much to stand, and at those times she hung around Room 507. It had an interesting mix of people, and usually there was at least one other woman so Tori didn't have to feel like the center of male attention. Then came the day of the device, and Tori barely noticed something missing before she was suddenly in an empty room. Tim popped in moments later, and then Jake arrived to explain they'd somehow moved a day into the future. Tori absently noted that both young men looked far more handsome than she remembered.

It took a while for Tori to figure out what her powers were, but now she joins the others as Pawn. She can teleport short distances, but only in an "L" shape, and can brush against someone as she passes them (en passant) to deliver a nasty neuroshock. If she can complete seven movement actions in combat without getting knocked out, Pawn becomes "queened" for the next Turn, with 360 degree telescopic vision, and the ability to deliver neuroshocks at range with no range penalty.

Tori has lost her ability to discriminate levels of Comeliness/Striking Appearance in men. All of them look droolworthy now, so she's forced to judge them by their actions instead.

Rasa- Formerly an overweight girl who was relegated to stage set up at drama class, Darla Covington had an understandable panic attack when the black hole appeared and she began to dissolve. Recovering and reforming, she found herself a shapeshifter. Now she can look like anyone, sound like them, and her acting skills are good enough to make it even more effective. Unfortunately, while she retains her skills, the memory of how she got those skills, and indeed, the memory associated with her identity was taken. She has no memory of child hood friends, or family. Nothing. As a superheroine, she calls herself 'Rasa' as in the blank part of blank slate. Her secret ID? She's faking it, thanks to the help of some others she's admitted her amnesia to. She finds herself frustrated, and tempted to give up being 'darla' ever again. Worse, she's very vulnerable right now to those canny enough to take advantage of her desire for old memories or a new life.

.....That should be seven, so for the next group and theme

2nd Chance Inc- A group of FORMER supervillains (or ex-convicts who gained powers after going straight) and now seek to be superheroes, 2nd Chance Inc. is not really a corporation at all, but the name has stuck. They're just trying to atone for their past lives and get a fresh start. Not everyone trusts them, of course as the team's make up is known in general to the public and some just don't buy the redemption angle. Partially to protect the public from any enemies they've made, 2nd Chance Inc has set up a private bolthole at a former mastermind's underground lair. They do have a website (They do their best to make it hard to trace) where visitors can leave them messages requesting help. They can't help everyone, but they help those they can.

5-7 members.

oh! One of my fave themes...I'll try to not make all 7...

Burden

He had to wonder why being a super villain had been so appealing to him at one point. Chris looked back on his life; the hard times with his folks, the death of his sister, his mutant powers awakening. Sure, he had idolized superheroes as a kid, but the world was tough and he had to be tougher. With the IHA on his back, his parents rejection of thier "freak" son, Chris found that in the big city, a man of his power could make a good living. He even enjoyed duking it out with superheros. For the most part it was a big game, and he was pretty good. The game got tougher and he found himself joining one loosely organized villain team after another, there was safety in numbers. The Defilers were simply one of many teams Powerfist had been a part of. Things went wrong this time. Sure, he and the Protector had squared off a lot. They were roughly equal in power and skill. But Necros hated the Protector. Powerfist never understood the depths of some men's hatred. He totally misjudged the situation. He never meant for anyone to die; especially not some guy's wife and infant child.

"Christopher Banner, please rise," The judge said.

With a glance at his attorney, Chris stood; his massively build fame dwarfing the bailiffs and security guards present. Gigantic manacles held his hands together.

"Mr. Banner, while I am not the type of person to simply ignore the past; I am inclined to look closely at it and the ramifications of it." Judge Juliana Thompson looked him straight in the eye as she spoke. It was obvious that she was not intimidated by his size or power.

"Your criminal file is a long one, with several instances of violence. Super villainy is frowned upon by the law, Mr. Banner, and your exploits as Powerfist are an example of why. You are solely or in part responsible for several billion dollars of damage, theft, and injury claims; people have lost their livelihoods for your betterment. Officers have had their careers shortened because of your actions, and you were directly responsible for the death of one of Millennium City's finest heroes, the Protector."

Chris had never allowed his gaze to waver, and stood motionless before Judge Thompson as the occasional cough was the only noise to disrupt typing of the court stenographer or the reporters present.

"However, there facts in this case that can't be overlooked either due to your larcenous nature. The fact of the matter is that you saved the lives of a woman and child. The wife and child of the very hero you fought so many times, the man who died from the injuries he sustained fighting you and your cohorts in the Defilers."

The name of his former team caused Chris' jaw to tighten.

"According to the wife of the Protector, whose name has been sealed to protect her and her child from unwanted publicity; you refused to take part in the Protector's torture after he gave himself up to the Defilers to protect his family. That you turned on them and fought side by side with the Protector until the Champions were able to arrive and drive the Defilers off. "Then you turned yourself in without incident. A week later you stood trial and were sentenced to 25 years for your crimes; a sentence you began serving six months ago."

"Since then you were recruited by agents of PRIMUS to aid them in foiling a scheme by your former team and tracking their current whereabouts. At this you were successful. You also turned evidence on four VIPER's nests that you had worked with, and helped guards at Stronghold repel a break in by The Ultimates."

She put the paper she had been holding and adjusted her glasses.

"I want to believe you when you say you have changed. I pray that the trust placed in you by PRIMUS and DOSPA hasn't been merely a facade for future criminal acts. It is with this trust that the Governor of the state of Michigan has granted you clemency. I pray you do not make him regret it. This court is adjourned."

With the last sentence the courtroom became a circus as reporters tried to get a quote from the released convict.

Defender and Nighthawk stood inside the PRIMUS meeting room on one side of a large table. Chris sat at the other. His heart was racing. He didn't like the looks of them. They were probably thinking he was nothing but a thug, who were they to judge him? They didn't live his life! They didn't know...

"You haven't proved anything yet," Nighthawk growled, "I will be watching you."

Chris simply nodded.

"What are you going to do, now?" Defender asked him. It was odd, but he heard more emotion from the armored hero than the vigilante; Defender actually seemed concerned about him.

"I got a call from Harmon Industries. One of their execs saw my story on the news and offered me a job in one of their warehouses."

Nighthawk growled and shot a glance at Defender, then stormed off.

"He doesn't seem to like ex-cons." Chris said to Defender.

"Among others." Defender said quietly, the he walked over to Chris. "Look, its going to get worse before it gets better. I'll admit I haven't gone through what you have, but I know some men and women who have. You'll get through it but it will be tough. Don't throw your life away, Chris. Powerfist is gone. Chris Banner, it’s your life now."

With that, Defender left too. Chris spent the next few minutes filling out some more paperwork. Then he was gone.

The job wasn't bad. The men seemed pretty indifferent to his past. He had an apartment, took the Tran to work, it wasn't a bad life, but something was missing. He took long walks at night, always finding himself at the address of Peter Wilson, the Protector. Standing outside and looking at the wreckage that was once a home. He'd been out of jail with a new life for almost six weeks when he made the call. The commission wasn't the flashiest they had ever done, but it when it was finished; Chris Banner had a new costume. Once again he stepped outside, his face concealed by silver goggles. He'd intended to be a hero as Powerfist; but it was hard. He hadn't been very strong, he was lazy and his powers allowed him to get what he wanted easily. But that was behind him now, it took the death of someone he respected, but he'd taken the easy road and hated the final destination. This time he wanted to make it right. This time he would take the hard road to heroism.

Sometimes what it takes to change sides is a bullet in the head.

Nightside was one of the villains who had been arounda bit and fought various heroes and agencies. Apart from his energy controlling powers he was renowned for his pompous grandiose speeches. What changed his life was a simple bodyguard job. He was minding a supplier who was negotiating with bikers and at a tense moment guns were produced by the bikers.

Nightside got as far as 'Wait ! Relax !' when one of the bikers who was drunklost their footing, fell backwards and ended up discharging his gun into Nightside's head. Everyone paniced and fled leaving the villain apparantly dead. He was put into hospital and the bullet was removed. However Nightside no longer knew who he was, where he grew up and what had gotten him into super villainy in the first place.

Although he was put on trial the judge decided to waive the whole process if Nightside went into 2nd Chance voluntarily. He did.

Now he uses his energy powers for good and his scientific know how to help the team.

He has also had a ego defense device made to prevent people from implanting false memories or trying to convince him he did things years before.

Sherm (No one can say his whole name) is what some people think of when they say eldritch abomination. he is supposed to be preparing the world for an invasion. Instead he is settling in and enjoying the greenery.

but don't think his lack of ambition is a weakness. If angered, Sherm will unleash the abilities that make him what he is.

CES