Create a Hero Theme Team!

Cygnia

Re: Create a Hero Theme Team!

BTW, Old Man, how many members on the team? And GA, any powers for Braintrust (beyond a really cool picture that I totally have to incorporate into my game world)?

The woman known as Muse is not a publicly known heroic member of the Idealists, since her powers don't have much obvious combat utility. To the public, she is simply the team's publicity guru, Muriel Serbanek. She's a telepath (transmission only) and precog/retrocog, with little conscious control over her powers. She only rarely has access to the results of her precognition or retrocognition herself. Instead, select people around her will find ideas "popping" into their heads regarding routes of investigation to pursue, questions they might want to ask, likely passwords to try, or tactics they might use against a foe.

[The Muse actually has skills like Criminology, Deduction, Conversation, Computer Programming, Security Systems, etc. along with a number of Overall Levels that are all Usable by Others at Range. The concept just "popped" into my head when I saw the team name as "Idea Lists".]

And GA' date=' any powers for Braintrust (beyond a really cool picture that I totally have to incorporate into my game world)[/quote']

Braintrust is a robot made by the NEW REICH. Their chief psychic surgeon, Mengele, abducted five lesser mentalists and harvested their brains to create this monstrosity.

Braintrust is built using Automation rules and Duplication. All the duplicates are the different mentalists and their suites of mental powers slaved to the Braintrust robot. He'e built with Duplication so that all the different brains can attack at the same time :shock: (1 character with 5 separate mental multi-powers would limit Braintrust to his SPEED of 4). The Duplicates are limited to sharing the one body and are slavishly loyal to the central brain. To kill this guy it requires 5 separate called shots to the head(s).

He was VERY dangerous... However, the shells that cover his brains are bought as fragile defense for the duplicates so it really only takes 1 shot per brain to disable/destroy them. A complicated build that worked out really well in the end. :)

Oh, he was really strong too. ;)

Though she seems somewhat out of place amongst the mentalists of the idealist, the stunningly physical Omni-Woman is technically a telekinetic, her powers operate on a personal level however enabling her to emulate fantastic feats of physical might, including flight, superhuman speed and durability.

As a side effect of her nigh omnipresent tk fields she is unusually tall (6'4'') and powerful of build (about 220lbs)

The team is still working on the mystery of who (or possibly what) Crosswire is. He appears to be a teenager of mixed racial heritage and is severely autistic. The Idealists have been unable to determine who he really is by either fingerprints or dental records. He also has the potential to be one of the most powerful mind readers on the planet (blocked by only the most hardened of mental defenses). Whether his powers are the result of a natural mutation or genetic experimentation, they have also left him unable to communicate normally (either verbally or telepathically). His speech (no trace of an accent) is hyper most of the time, making no sense initially (Muse has so far been able to coax a few moments of lucidity here and there).

Also, trying to use any mental power on him (even mind scans or to "talk" to him telepathically) activates a painful mental damage shield. This unfortunately has a backlash that also affects Crosswire. In her spare time, Muse has taken the boy under her wing, carefully trying to figure out any clue towards his origins. She hopes positive encouragement and trust will help him not only control his powers but enable him to tell the Idealists what exactly happened or who his family could be (To give him a "proper" identity, Muse calls him 'Todd'). Given the strength and dangerous applications of Crosswire's abilities, the last thing the team wants is for him to be exploited into the wrong hands.

The team is still working on the mystery of who (or possibly what) Crosswire is. He appears to be a teenager of mixed racial heritage and is severely autistic. The Idealists have been unable to determine who he really is by either fingerprints or dental records. He also has the potential to be one of the most powerful mind readers on the planet (blocked by only the most hardened of mental defenses). Whether his powers are the result of a natural mutation or genetic experimentation, they have also left him unable to communicate normally (either verbally or telepathically). His speech (no trace of an accent) is hyper most of the time, making no sense initially (Muse has so far been able to coax a few moments of lucidity here and there).

Also, trying to use any mental power on him (even mind scans or to "talk" to him telepathically) activates a painful mental damage shield. This unfortunately has a backlash that also affects Crosswire. In her spare time, Muse has taken the boy under her wing, carefully trying to figure out any clue towards his origins. She hopes positive encouragement and trust will help him not only control his powers but enable him to tell the Idealists what exactly happened or who his family could be (To give him a "proper" identity, Muse calls him 'Todd'). Given the strength and dangerous applications of Crosswire's abilities, the last thing the team wants is for him to be exploited into the wrong hands.

Not to nitpick, but....

if he's totally unable to communicate even telepathically, how does anyone know he can read minds?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says the real problem with mind reading is that most people think illegibly

( I got this idea from a you tube video I saw using Final Fantasy 13-)

Doug Flynn is the Swordsman. His power is psychic blades, hundreds of psychic blades, that fly to his defense as he wisecracks against villains trying to stop him.

A lot of people think he has seen too many old movies.

CES

Not to nitpick, but....

if he's totally unable to communicate even telepathically, how does anyone know he can read minds?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says the real problem with mind reading is that most people think illegibly

I'm going to go with: initial doodles of art coupled with picking up on certain things he was saying at the same time, leading to enough controlled test incidents that the team then could rule out coincidences or any actual (verbal) "feeding" of lines.

I'm going to go with: initial doodles of art coupled with picking up on certain things he was saying at the same time' date=' leading to enough controlled test incidents that the team then could rule out coincidences or any actual (verbal) "feeding" of lines.[/quote']

That works, and leads to interesting situations.

Lucius Alexander

Whose mind is he reading now, and what are these strange two headed humped creatures?

It looks like I got the fifth guy. Simon, Muse, Crosswire, Omniwoman, and the Swordsman.

Let's do an easy one. The Litatureers are seven men and women who have gained powers like any other hero and villain. Their gimmick is they have picked the titles of books to fit their abilities.

CES

Kevin Reed found a chalice in an old shop. He cleaned it up and kept it in his office for several years. One day, the office ran out of cups for the water cooler. He decided to use his chalice to drink from until the cooler cups were replaced.

The drink forced him into a vision where he was appointed a champion of light. He tried to get out of it, but he was blessed anyway and sent back to his body.

Kevin Reed adopted the name Bullfinch because his new talents were lent him from various deities from the land of legend. He can throw lightning, light up the sky, or steal anything with some of his new abilities.

CES

Erik Zebulon had never been a happy man. Possessing an enormous intellect, he found it more a curse than a blessing, especially since the small Louisiana town he grew up in found being willfully ignorant a source of pride. He struggled to put himself through college (the first of his family to want such a goal) even as the headaches started to get worse. Of course, his family thought he was making them up, not wanting to spend the money for any sort of doctor or therapist. When he finally was able to move away, Erik thought he might know peace.

And then he got caught in a bank robbery as a hostage. There were three robbers being led by some minor costumed villain, who was shouting orders around as the mastermind of the heist. A sudden spike of pain in his head brought Erik down to his knees. The villain, sneering at Erik's "feeble attempt at distraction", decided he was going to make an example of him to show how serious the gang was. He grabbed the young man...

...and suddenly, the pain was gone. The villain, once confident, was now gibbering around confused. Erik slumped from his grasp in shock. Without their leader's orders and plans, the police then easily overtook them and saved the hostages. One officer who took Erik's story afterwards put him in touch with a "discreet doctor who'll check you out".

Erik found out he had the ability to drain/suppress a target's intellect. The effects are temporary (for now). Erik took on the name Dunce, in honor of his favorite book.

He is still getting the headaches. Using his powers relieves them, but he's scared one day that he'll need to use his powers more frequently to ease the pain -- or that the effects may stay permanent on his targets.

Let's do an easy one. The Litatureers are seven men and women who have gained powers like any other hero and villain. Their gimmick is they have picked the titles of books to fit their abilities.

I regret to inform you that I may be forced to kill anybody who chooses to make a character based upon Herman Melville's classic, Moby Dick. ;)

Dan Teegar knew he was a mutant at an early age -- by the time he started high school, he could already duplicate, and by graduation he had mastered creating another copy of himself (though none of them particularly wanted to attend school on a daily basis, so the original and both duplicates typically traded off such chores). He liked the idea of being able to study, play video games, and perform stand-up comedy at the local club's open mike night all at the same time. Danny thought it would merely be a great way to get three times as much stuff done -- until the day VIPER and PRIMUS decided to stage a little battle on Danny's community college campus.

As blaster shots blazed back and forth, Danny saw his girlfriend trapped and in danger of getting hurt in the crossfire, so he triplicated himself with the intention of overpowering a few of the VIPER agents. What he didn't count on was one of the VIPER agents being alert and quick enough to avoid the duplicate's attack and then grab the duplicate around the throat. What the VIPER agent didn't count on was Danny's duplicate suddenly bursting into flames like the Human Torch.

Danny and the other duplicate tried to similarly generate fire, but without success. However, when the second duplicate tried to incinerate one of the VIPER agents, he instead created a gray ball of energy that, when thrown at a VIPER agent, grew to completely envelop the Goon in Green. (After the gray energy dissipated a few minutes later, the agent said he felt like he was trapped in a featureless void that completely robbed him of all sensory input.) By the time Danny came to grips with his powers, the firefight was winding down and Danny was able to rescue his girlfriend and leave the scene.

It actually took Danny a few more weeks to discover that, in addition to his duplicates having powers, *he* also had powers, though they were mental in nature. (Specifically, he could induce euphoria or create mental illusions that the target is in his own private paradise.)

At his girlfriend's urging, Danny created a costume and took the name Divine Comedy, after the epic 3-part poem depicting Dante's travels through Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven.

I regret to inform you that I may be forced to kill anybody who chooses to make a character based upon Herman Melville's classic' date=' [i']Moby Dick[/i]. ;)

Richard Mobey was born albino, but eventually it was realized that he had mutations even less common. He could decrease his density, thus making himself more resistant to harm, while increasing his volume, growing so huge he was compared to a whale. Being a well-read giant, he named himself after a literary classic.

(Don't look, Bolo)

Gargantua, the first book of Rabelais

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks Lucius Alexander is hanging a lot of hope on "may be" turning out to be "maybe not."

I regret to inform you that I may be forced to kill anybody who chooses to make a character based upon Herman Melville's classic' date=' [i']Moby Dick[/i]. ;)

Call me Ishmael....Ack!!!!

When Lita Fei Lin Lo was 13, she was diagnosed with an genetic autoimmune disorder that permanently stunted her growth. She would forever appear to be a very pretty 13-year-old girl. The same mutation, however, also gave her psionic powers including the ability to exaggerate or repress the lowest desires of anyone she chose, beyond their ability to control themselves. Six years later, she has become a very skilled covert mentalist for the Literateers, code name Lolita.

fearless thats how everyone had always described Captain Harvey Cheyne Jr from early in his life this fearleness made him the leader of his friends and then his football team his squad in the marines and finally after he decided to spend more time with his family his PRIMUS it was during a raid on a VIPER weapons lab that his fearlessness woudl alter his life for ever pulling a wounded comrade out from heavy fire.

a stray shot struck a VIPER experiment shielding his wounded comrades body with his own harvey took the full brunt of the overloading device and gained superhuman abilities including hightened strength agility and near invunrability he joined the literateers as PRIMUS liason and his leadership and tactical abilitiues field commander using teh code name CAPTAIN COURAGEOUS

John Doe Van Winkle awoke washed up on a beach with no recollection of who he was and where he came from. But over the course of his subsequent wanderings he found that he was not only unusually tough and good with a fishing line, he had the supernatural ability to create and control vast amounts of water. Falling in with the Literateers, he still had no idea that he was really Aquarius, the water bringer. Instead, he simply called himself The Old Man and the Sea.

I think that's it for the Literateers... next up are the six-member sound-based superteam, The Acoustics.