Create a Hero Theme Team!

Cygnia

Re: Create a Hero Theme Team!

"Ladies and gentlemen, you have read my terms. And I have given you my outline for the percentage of loss, both in human lives and in property damage, if you do not authorize the Ministry soon." Mr. Toho sighed heavily. Throughout his family line, the Japanese-American knew more than enough about tragedy and bad news -- and the grim truth of what one had to do to stop it from spreading.

"It's still too much!" cried a nameless council member. "Surely the Champions will be here...or the Vindicators -- and they'll do it for free!"

"A sanctioned metahuman team will not get here in time. Not with the diversionary tactics these aliens have set up." Toho fixed the city council with a hard glare. "Authorize the Ministry and we can give your city a fighting chance until reinforcements can arrive. But if you choose to wait, there will be NOTHING left to save!"

Mr. Toho pushed the document towards the mayor....

Mr. Toho prefers to keep a quiet profile. Though he comes from wealth, it was a hard road getting there. His grandfather was interred during World War II by what he thought was his beloved America and suffered racism and distrust even after he was released and the war was over. Still, his grandfather persevered, eventually founding a technology firm in California. With the rise of villainous threats from numerous sources (alien, metahuman, extradimensional), Toho knew there had to be a way for the common man to fight back as well. Of course, being a pragmatic man, it didn't hurt to make a honest profit as well. The machines of the Ministry were the fruit of such labors.

New Team: Magical Princess GemStars~!

Number: 5

Theme: Five lucky lucky girls were bestowed with super magical powers and now fight EVIL! All the girls' hero IDs must include a type of gem or jewel. Unfortunately, the girls aren't the brightest bulbs in their respective sockets and tend to show off more than actually deal with crime. Still, their hearts are in the right place and perhaps one of these days, they'll actually figure out a sense of tactics. It also helps that the villains they face tend to be more cardboard cutout evil than actual competent sociopaths murderers themselves. Perhaps there's a connection...

Charging Light Emerald is Christine Lee Evers. Her gift of power is the strength and speed of the bull. Her main tactic is to ram an enemy as hard as she can to knock him down, and then start kicking with her super legs.

Her color is green, and everything she wears is a shade of that color.

CES

Carole Anne Murray is Princess Topaz. She usually descends upon a fight as if she is walking down a staircase as you see in old Hollywood movies (to which she is addicted). She is often condescending to her enemies and cannot grasp how anyone would dislike her. She wears a Topaz ring, has a Topaz ina discrete chain around her neck and one around each ankle. She has a wand which fires a yellow ray which tends to pacify or restrain people. She is not into violence as it is very unglamourous. She uses this as an insult to muggers, thugs and opponents but not to Christine or Ruby whom she assures that no insult is ever intended.

Betsy Evens is the smartest of the Gemstars--which is to say that on most teams she'd be the "dumb blonde." But she's soft-spoken and unassertive, so seldom manages to get her ideas across before the others leap into action. As Sparkling Impact Diamond Lily, she can summon faceted force fields. She vastly prefers to use them to defend herself and others, although they have a variety of offensive uses. In particular, she's afraid of her Sparkling Diamond Shrapnel attack, and won't ever use it on anything that might possibly be alive.

Erika Carroll is Glorious Angel Amethyst. Giggly and gentle, she has the ability to heal others with her softly pulsing purple lights, she flies on wings of lavender and when evil gives her lip? She becomes serious and lets fly with the Giant Purple Hammer of Heaven....No innuendo implied.

New Team: The Avalon Guard. Six members, all "reincarnated" knights of the Round Table.

Augustus Pelham is Quest and the supposed reincarnation of King Pellinore. However, rather than just hunting the fabled Questing Beast of Pellinore's time, Augustus can apparently summon and control such a creature. Despite her fearsome appearance (head & neck of a serpent, body of a leopard, haunches of a lion and feet of a hart), "Kewbee" (as Augustus calls her) is quite gentle out of combat, though during fights she's fiercely loyal to Quest, who rides on her back wielding a modified energy "lance" (think a giant taser).

Strongarm is a gadgeteer, martial artist, and low level brick who not only created and maintains the "energy lances" used by some in the group, he designed a replacement left arm for himself after a villain cut it off below the elbow. The cybernetic arm is very powerful and allows several weapon attachments, as well as generating a circular force field he uses as a shield. He is the supposed reincarnation of Sir Bedivere, of course.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wanted to make everyone guess whose reincarnation he is.

Diyar al'Shakib is an Iraqi refugee, and the reincarnation of Sir Palamedes. He has begrudgingly accepted being saddled with the code name "Saracen." His special gift is that he can go without food, water or sleep for a week before needing to rest and restock nutrients. He's good friends with Quest, but not so fond of the other members of the Avalon Guard. While Diyar himself is a Christian, he is very forthright in decrying anti-Muslim prejudice, and works to help other Middle East refugees improve there situations.

Eric Shepherd, whose occupation once matched his name, takes the name Idyll after the genre of poetry and painting that often takes as subject exactly such pastoral pursuits in settings of rural innocence. His special power was long unknown because his closest companions had been sheep. For Idyll can acquire for a time a large portion the traits of anyone or anything he comes in contact with; for example, if Sir Gawaine has the strength of ten men because it is noon, Idyll may, after a momentary touch, exert the strength of seven or eight men.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants to let people guess who this one's a reincarnation of.

• 2 weeks later...

The Knight of Sorrows is Emilio Ayarro, the reincarnation of Sir Tristan. He's extremely handsome and a smooth talker, having almost supernatural luck with the ladies. (Even evil ones. Oh, and gay men.) He often clashes with Saracen, due to difficulties in their previous incarnations. What Emilio fears most, that he will admit to no one, is the return of Isolde. He's pretty much convinced that once she shows up in whatever form, Emilio will be forced to fall in love with only her, repeating the tragedies of the past.

New Team!

The Holiday Heroes

Membership: 5

Background: Even superheroes need the day off every now and then, especially on holidays. That's where the Holiday Heroes come in--they work only on holidays, picking a city to protect so that the regular local defenders can relax a bit. Despite what seems like a bizarre insistence that each member theme themselves around a particular holiday (from the blindingly obvious to the inscrutably obscure), the members are all quite competent and work well together.

(Thanksgiving would be so easy right now, but let's try for something else.)

The first day of November sees the walking of the Saint. He wanders the streets, helping the helpless, and dispensing justice. His touch burns evil, and heals the good.

His appearance changes from year to year, but he can be found if you know to look for the man with the handicap and the tattoo of a crown. The handicap is never the same, and the crown is never in the same spot from year to year.

And if you don't know to look for those two things, then sometimes you can follow a trail of lives put back on track, or derailed for good.

CES

He knows exactly when the lost his mind, or was it his soul? It was the day he read the book. He didn't know why he did it. He hadn't even wanted to go into that new age bookstore. And of all the books why had he had to browse the one about Halloween. He had n't really paid any attention to its origins. Get candy give candy was about the extent he paid attention. But then he learned . The winter soalstace, druids, rituals to hold off evil ghosts, rituals to invite good ghosts, the church condeming it all as the work of the devil. He seemed to be reading for hours, but it was only a few minutes. How had he read the whole book? And why did his hand shake when he put it back on the shelf? That night the nightmares began. People he somehow knew were ancestors useing dark and terrible powers to use evil things, others trying to atone from their cursed bloodline by fighting living nightmares. They grew worse and worse. He feared to sleep, he feared to see people. but through bits and opieces of the nightmares he learned. It was insane, so obviously he was crazy. There was no such thing as magic. But what does a madman care what dosen't exist? He performed the ritual he managed to piece together. And they spoke to him.

Come dawn he rose. He wasn't crazy. It was far worse, it was all real and he had called power too him. His ancestors had explained things before he would rather have not known. But there was no longer a need to fear. He raised the mist around him, and thought about his place in the world.

Life and death were a cycle, but good and evil were not equal. He looked through the flames and found what he needed. Here and there his constructs came out of the mist to collect what he needed A few people shot at them. Once a bullet tore through his chest. He grunted and waited for the wound to heal in seconds as he knew it would. He would repay them later after he got a new job. Finally with all he had gathered he made a costume. As people had worn disguises to fool evil ghosts, he would wear one to fool evil men. There was just one problem. He couldn't be trusted. Dozens of evil ancestors whispered advise in his ear, far more than goods ones. To be a gfull time superhero would be too dangerous. Something more temporary was needed.

Basher limped forward grunting in pain. His sides were in agony but he needed to get the last two of the Legbreakers. Before he could reach the bar a thick mist enveloped him. He prepared for the assualt.

"Your a fool. Are you trying to get killed? How many more people will the Legbreakers hurt if you fall because your too stubborn to heal?"

"Whoes going to stop them if I don't." Basher called out.

"Foolish mortal." The mists parted and a man in dark robes with orange streaks stood beroe him. the man wa a bit too thin like he hadn't eaten lately he wore a black and orange mask as well. Two, Basher's best guess were zombies, flanked the man. "I am."

The looked into he eyes of a small jackolantern, and smiled at Basher.

"Your right their henchmen are in there. I will deal with this. You go home rest, relax, take a holiday untill your well. I will keep your city safe untill your ready to return."

"Who, what are you?" Basher asked.

"On Halloween night spirits both good and bad cross over. The good may, stay the evil will find their way barred by me. So it shall be on that night. On all others evil men shall find me barring their way to the good and innocent. Who and what I am are the same thing. Gatekeeper."

I like this concept a lot; the character name, the origin of his powers, the entire back-story.... You've woven the hero-team limitations -- the requirement that they be part-time heroes with holiday connections -- into a sensible, meaningful background that answers the "why" question while managing to preserve a touch of the old ominous meaning of Hallowe'en. The glimpse of Gatekeeper in action neatly illustrates how this character's many elements come together, and the sympathetic Basher and the villainous Legbreakers make excellent foils for him.

You have several very effective turns of phrase in this brief write-up: He knows exactly when the lost his mind, or was it his soul?, and Come dawn he rose. He wasn't crazy. It was far worse.... amongst others. The rhythm and word-choice of your writing is very good; I should like to read more of it, and certainly more about this character.

I would, however, advise that you edit your writing for spelling and grammar/punctuation.

Cinco de Mayo has five defenders, the Alvarez brothers. Independently they minor abilities like minor super strength, but one day out of the year, they combine into one hero for 24 hours with all their powers in an order of magnitude greater than what they possess on their own. This hero appears in one of their home cities for 24 hours before vanishing again, while the brothers are gone for the same amount of time.

The Alvarezs don't know that this is a side effect from the treatment that gave them their powers in the first place.

CES

Avril l'Poisson is a mutant who developed illusion powers in her teens. She spent several years on a mutant training team, where her merry, prankish attitude clashed badly with the angst-filled emoness of her colleagues. Once she graduated, Avril decided to help heroes who really needed a break, and sought out others whose powers or motifs suited them to working on holidays. Despite her wacky public persona, Avril is actually an excellent planner and coordinator, making sure that her fellow Holiday Heroes get to the right city for the gig, and working to cover the weak points in any given teammate's skillset.

As April Fish, Avril wears a piscatorial-themed joungleur's costume, and supplements her illusions with acrobatic moves and a variety of "gag" gadgets.

The VIPER team climbed through the hole they had made in the wall and took up cover positions while another team moved into the hallway. "Team Copperhead is in and holding at entry," the team leader said. "Diamondback has the hall and reports that the gas took down the security guards."

The operations leader acknowledged. "Team Adder reports all alarm circuits are disabled, and Team Boa is standing by as backup. You are good to go."

"Roger that." The team leader waved his agents forward, paying special attention to the two carrying the large laser torch. They made their way upstairs and to the bank's vault, and moments later the laser was burning through the steel rods locking the vault door closed. It took several minutes to cut through all of them, and another minute to rig up the magnetic grapple. As the latter device pulled the vault door open, the VIPER agents heard a strange hissing coming from inside the vault.

"Good eve, gentlemen." The agents spun around to see a short, brown-haired man in blue and green robes leaning against the wall and smiling at them despite the six blaster rifles now pointed at him. "I'd suggest ye lower them weapons before somebody gets hurt."

The VIPER team leader laughed harshly and sighted down his rifle. "I don't think so, pal. Who the heck are you?"

"Me friends call me Paddy, but I think to ye I'll be known as Patrick." His Irish accent was quite pronounced, and he stroked his beard as he looked at the VIPER agents, all facing him, their backs to the now-open vault. "Not much o' one for titles, mind ye, but there are those who call me St. Patrick."

"Oh, great," said one of the agents derisively. "What are you, a $@#! leprehcaun?"

Patrick shook his head. "No, lad, just a man, same as you. Well, a bit better of a man, when it comes down to it. Me friends and me, we've come to give the local lads a day off." He smiled craftily and spread his hands to show he wasn't a threat. "Now, ye can keep pointing them wee peashooters at me, but I suggest ye look down, verrrry slowly. No sudden moves, mine ye. Wouldn't want ta spook me friends..."

The agents glanced down to see that each was surrounded by a dozen snakes, with even more pouring through the open vault door. The team leader nearly jumped out of his skin when one snake dropped from the rafters above, landing on his shoulder and hissing in his ear. It occurred to the leader of Team Copperhead that, while his armor and helmet protect him from most attacks, his neck was fairly exposed to the snake's bared fangs.

"Ye see, when me namesake drove the snakes out o' Ireland, well, they had to go *somewhere.* I happen to be able to call 'em when I needs 'em. And I'll be darned if I didn't think it would be a bit of a laugh to stop you VIPER boyos with 'em." The smile dropped from St. Patrick's face. "Now, lower those weapons to the ground, nice and slow, or else we'll find out if the local hospital is quick enough and has enough antivenom to save all o' ye."

New Team: The Faculty

Members: 5

These five college professors (or other faculty or staff) were exposed to a powerful mutagen released during a superbattle on campus. The mutagen greatly enhanced some aspect(s) of each individual's area of expertise (which should be noted in the character’s description).

New Team: The Faculty

Members: 5

These five college professors (or other faculty or staff) were exposed to a powerful mutagen released during a superbattle on campus. The mutagen greatly enhanced some aspect(s) of each individual's area of expertise (which should be noted in the character’s description).

Did this a while back :)

Taking two of the characters from GoldenAge's picture to make one member of The Faculty and an archnemesis:

Dr. Michael Ferguson has taught physics (mostly high-energy physics) for the past 23 years, but he never thought he'd become his own lab experiment. After the mutagen took effect, Ferguson could absorb most forms of energy (including ambient light and sound vibrations) and convert them into a form of bio-electricity. When he activates his power and turns into Doc Fermi, he is surrounded by a crackling blue-white energy field, his skin turns light blue, and his hair turns white. He can fly, project electrical attacks, and create a light show that is blindingly bright.

Ferguson's former department chairman, David Keane, was also mutated, unfortunately becoming a supervillain and The Faculty's frequent foe. As The Dean, Keane has powerful psychokinetic and psionic powers, with the side effect that anybody influenced by his psionic attacks takes on a purple hue to his or her skin.

Dr. Byron Knox, one of the resident history professors. Since the accident he seems to have the ability to "see" into different time periods. (usually in relation to some artifact or something he is in contact with, he sees some moment from that things history). Really more valuable at the moment as an out of combat advisor. (though he does have some experience of 2 tours in Vietnam before he came back from the war and went to college.)

As he learns to hone in his powers. The possibility of limited time travel and temporarily reversing his aging, could be developed.

• 2 weeks later...

Professor Sarah Murphy works in the theatre department. She always had a bit of an ego even before the incident, bragging about her time on Broadway when she was younger (more like off-off-off-off-off-Broadway). After the altercation, she found that she was gifted with the ability to shapeshift, complete with perfect vocal mimicry (provided she had heard a sample earlier if it was of a specific person). She now calls herself The Divine Sarah, thinking if a title like that was good enough for the great Sarah Bernhardt, it's good enough for her! Needless to say, much to the chagrin of the rest of the Faculty, her ego's gotten worse...

Sarah can only shapeshift into other humanoids right now. With practice, she may be able to shift into more exotic forms like animals, non-humanoid aliens or robots.