Naming the first superhero

Steve

I've been working on the background concepts for a recent-emergence (a year or so since superhumans first appeared) superhero campaign, and one of those background items is the history of superhumans. I'm trying to think of a good name for the first costumed superhuman, and I'm a little stuck. Since he is the first, with your basic Flight/Invulnerable/Super-Strength powerset, I've been considering the name Advent or maybe Majestic, but I'm also trying to imagine what the papers would name him if he didn't name himself first.

What would be a good name for the first superhuman?

Re: Naming the first superhero

Depending on how close your campaign is to reality I think the media would name a flying brick Superman. Most people would get the reference, and it's the sort of nick name that would stick.

If he got to name himself on the other hand: Invincible, Paladin, Guardian, Guardian of Justice, or Defender. Vanguard is cool, too, but Lord Liaden beat me to it. Or maybe he's use some nickname, in joke or military call sign. A more religious dude (or dudete; the first being a female brick would be an unusual touch) could go for Salvation, Templar, or something biblical (David, Goliath or Adam spring to mind).

I can see him being named by the press a "modern-day Samson"' date=' "a modern-day Hercules", and so on... Depends exactly when and where he appears... (He? Does it have to be a he?)[/quote']

You could also take Korvar's excellent suggestion and have the press mix in those old titles heroes more often wore in the golden age leading to things like "Captain Hercules" "Mr. Samson" or "Lady Atlas" etc.

Thanks to everyone for help. I'm going to go with LL's suggestion of Vanguard because it covers several things I am looking for: an iconic feel akin to Superman, showing that this superhero is the first of the Age of Superhumans, and it sounds good.

Hero was another good idea, and I could have also gone with Champion.

It may also depend on the time that the first supers appear. The "zeitgeist" of the 30s or 40s would yield a different name than, say, the 70s or 80s. The former would mean simpler, more "pulp"-ish names, while the latter would be more colorful.

In my background, the first acknowledged super hero in the modern era appeared in 1938, and was called simply, "the Brawler." His only power was near-invulnerability, so he waded into the badguys with fists a-flyin' -- thus the name.

It may also depend on the time that the first supers appear. The "zeitgeist" of the 30s or 40s would yield a different name than, say, the 70s or 80s. The former would mean simpler, more "pulp"-ish names, while the latter would be more colorful.

In my background, the first acknowledged super hero in the modern era appeared in 1938, and was called simply, "the Brawler." His only power was near-invulnerability, so he waded into the badguys with fists a-flyin' -- thus the name.

The beginning of the Age of Superhumans in my campaign write-up was about a year ago. I could imagine a headline being something like "Vanguard of a New Age?" with a picture of said superhero flying away from his first major public appearance.

• 2 weeks later...