How do your characters feel about the Registration Act?

Hermit

In the 5th Edition Champions Universe, in 1980, the American Superhuman and Paranormal Registration Act was passed with (it seems) strong public support but an unwelcome reception among super heroes. Identies are required, but only 'authorized' personel can gather that info from the data base. It is claimed that it has NEVER Been hacked. It's not heavily enforced, but if you're not registered, it would seem police and govt officials won't raise one finger to help you beyond putting the prisoners in jail.

Now, OOC (Out of Character) I am not too crazy about this set up, but I'm trying to go with it.

However, I'm curious just how many characters are registering (or would register if in the 5th CU )

So, In Character, what do your characters think of the Act? Do they comply? Do they refuse? Do they protest? Have they found ways around it?

Baron von Darien, master vampire -- 'I did not survive eleven centuries by being so foolish as to allow my true name and provenance to be placed in indelible record. Furthermore, the current law of the land acknowledges us as legally dead and without rights.

Should my current cover identity be suspected of performing metahuman activities, *then* I shall register *it*... reluctantly, and only with that minimum necessary amount of data necessary for me to 'pass'. And the preparations shall be made to abandon that identity for a new one at any moment it might become necessary."

Starguard, cosmic-powered innocent heroine -- "Ummm... it's the law. and I have to obey it. And I'm not going to do anything bad with my powers anyway."

Calico: Working under a secret division of the goverment. They probably have a false ID registered.

Scales: Public ID and noticably "super" He might register, but he would bring as much legal means to get rid of the act. He'd also protect those would wouldn't want to register.

Andromeda: Does work for NASA so probably is

Blazer: No way in heck and would talk against it every chance she got.

Ice Pirate: Wouldn't and would probably be a real pain in the a** to the keepers of the database. Instead of just hacking it, she'd probably figure out an upload of every character from fiction, etc...

Nighthawk: Hmm, of the original & the seven clones they'd lean toward not registrating. Then again, maybe one would register and then all of them would share the same ID. :)

edit: none of my characters are in the CU, but that's how they'd react if it happened.

I don't think it works well in a 4 color genre. My solution, if I was going to use it, would be use the registration as a story arc. Some heroes would register. Some wouldn't and would catch flak. Some master villain would hack into it. Some heroes would have enormous problems for themselves and their DNPCs as the master villain tries to neutralize as many supers as possible while the master villain simultaneously attempts... to take over the world. The government would realize how badly the registration act backfired and get rid of it.

Not all my characters are in the CU5th, but if they were... I think their reactions and answers would be like this:

Apex: "I registered. I have... family, and if Apex goes missing, I want the govt to be able to help my family. This doesn't mean they will, but it's a chance. I know they might get hacked, but frankly I doubt I'm that important."

Lone Star: "Ah keep meaning to register, but I also keep forgetting... doggone it. Suppose Ah best, Ah'm a rolemodel for young folk, and you can't expect them to follow the law if you don't respect it yourself."

Recluse: "How to best phrase this? Heck no. The most frightening words in the English language are 'Hi, we're with the government, and we're here to help'. I like my privacy, and I have a right to it. Annoymous tipsters are not required to reveal their identity to the police, and good deeds should not have to have the 'stamp of approval' on them, super powered or no."

Slammer: "Sure thing, the Slam man will register, but that's because I'm Slammer 24/7, I don't have a secret ID like some. However, I think the idea reeks. You're going to force people to submit to this sort of profiling when they haven't even done anything? Just because they have powers? It's wrong... and I'm going to say so at every event. This thing came up because Dr Destroyer used a lot of lesser villains, right? So... if this works so well, why isn't Dr. D in Stronghold? I rest my freaking case."

Surge: "I respectfully decline. No system is 'tamper proof' and it's the height of hubris to claim yours is.That's titanic talk. With the geniuses out there, you could have been hacked 30 ways to sunday, and never know it. If the government really wishes to withhold information that can help save lives, just to force folks to give into this, they should be ashamed. Besides, recently, I was played by an FBI agent... The gov isn't exactly earning my trust here. Sorry."

Wild Card: "Sure, I'll register. Superhero Name: Wildcard, Secret Identity: George Bush Jr., Powers, I shoot monkeys out of my butt. Weaknesses: Too honest for my own good... really."

They did a story about his in the Fantastic Four, an age ago.

Reed Richards and Co got called to testify before Congress about "Mutant Registration".

The title was "Dark Congress", if I recall.

One of the few times where they have supes vs. the government, the NRA even shows up.

In my campaign, the issue has been debated back and forth. It is unlikely to pass in the current administration, as the sitting President is secretly a former superhero. (who use to be a rather notorious vigilante).

I do have a form of it, that is rather amusing (mostly to show how silly it is). Any superhero can register voluntarily, and recieve a passport! This allows him to travel to other countries, and pass through customs. The Passport gives some very basic info on the hero, and has a nice photo of him, in costume. Under occupation it lists "American Superhero."

The Hero can even have a secfret identity and get one, without reigistering his name. They are fingerprinted. Only Heroes that are part of official-looking teams are considered.

It's worth all the trouble for when one of the heroes with one travels. Upon entering a foreign country, the border guard states something like "American Superhero, eh? And what exactly is your reason for visiting France?"

The Hero then gives some dumbass response, like "Tourist." (Remember, he is in a funky costume)

The Hero then goes about whatever reason he visited the country, followed by intelligence agents wherever he goes. All police know he is about to arrive before he shows up.

While this is how I do the Ol' USA, several countries do have registration laws. Its usually given as a reason for the huge number of superpowered people in the USA. That's right, a bunch of them are really Canadians. :)

Goody two-shoes

Part of Prometheus's mission is to build a better understanding between heroes and the people they protect, and a part of that is establishing a trust with the leadership establishment of said people. While he would publicly lobby against such an registration measure ("Sometimes Justice must go hooded."), he would also not hesitate in participating in the program and encouraging others to do so- the law is the law, after all.

Australia, where a man can wear his mask?

Originally posted by Ghost who Walks

While this is how I do the Ol' USA, several countries do have registration laws. Its usually given as a reason for the huge number of superpowered people in the USA. That's right, a bunch of them are really Canadians. :)

Actually, I've been thinking that with Australia in the official 5th CU having no Registration policy, and a low (for now) super population, it may be due for a sudden influx of American, Europeon, and other nations' supers fed up with the restrictions in their homelands.

:)

Ballistic No. Never. If there is a law in place to register an American, not because of an action he has done, like a crime; but rather who or what he is due to some chance of genetics, then you are only a step away from wearing a yellow Star of David. And you can qoute me on that.

Black Cat *smiles sweetly* Don't see any reason to. I'm just a martial artist. What I do anyone could learn to do, no real reason to register.

Re: Australia, where a man can wear his mask?

Originally posted by Hermit

Actually, I've been thinking that with Australia in the official 5th CU having no Registration policy, and a low (for now) super population, it may be due for a sudden influx of American, Europeon, and other nations' supers fed up with the restrictions in their homelands.

:)

Oh great! First the Rugby World Cup, and now this... :(

Alan

Australia, where a man can wear his mask?

Originally posted by assault

Oh great! First the Rugby World Cup, and now this... :(

Alan

Heh, sorry Alan, but hey, if nothing else, it could lead to some interesting RP between native Australian super heroes, and the 'interlopers from the north' :)

Mayday being french had to register while getting her passport and all that to enter and reside in the US for school, not that she minded. She has worked regularly with the US Govt, UN and her own Govt as needed.

ShadowCross Not a chance. This lady has zero trust in anyone but herself, and with a split personality she doesn't even trust herself completely.

Metallion German heroine, so no. When in the US is here as a UN representative. She probably thinks it is funny, but deep down would consider it a reminder of Hitler and the Jews and uncomfortable and so avoids the topic, brushing it off with a joke (she IS blonde and can play to stereotype) or sidestepping it if it comes up.

Wraithe PRIMUS member, so will register if the head of PRIMUS wishes it, but there may be delays due to bureaucratic infighting and 'turf wars'. Possibly only registered internally, in an alternate database that is 'shared' with other agencies but in reality never happens much. She fully supports the Act.

Sabre would not register truthfully. She may send in a ringer to give a false name, dna sample and face for their records but the real Sabre? No. This woman is so secretive and enmeshed in plots upon plots and spin control of her image that the unvarnished truth would be totally out of character. In public she undoubtedly supported the Act. In private she would seek out the best way to manipulate the Act to maximize her future benefit. Sabre is a corporate hero, operated by the head of the Corporation. They specialize in military applications and power suits, so government contracts are big business. If the Act can be tailored so that only registered 'official' heroes (like herself) get support (and contracts) then that would be a GOOD thing... And the less that register the better.

The members of Carmen & Co. would not register. They like their privacy and some of them are famous enough that when (not if) the database is leaked they would be threatened by it. Worked against the Registration Act behind the scenes I don't doubt.

Quasar - "It's the duty of all super being to co-operate with the government in every way. We are the role modles for the youngsters of Americia, and gosh darn it, it's up to us to set forth a good example by following the laws we help enforce. And don't forget to dring your milk and eat your green vegitables..."

Mind Maiden - "No, I don't think i'll register. In fact, I don't think I'll be leaving Headquarters at all this month. Perhaps next month. I'd just rather be alone for a few weeks..."

Shadowhunter - "Register? You're kidding, right?"

Uncle Slam. Seventy years of looking out for America have caused an evolution in the man seen as the patriotic ideal. He's seen the government do horrific things in the name of good. How long before they start tatooing them? giving them numbers? And when crime gets bad, rounding them up into camps.

Anthem. How does she keep her family safe if it can be found out through channels or through theft who she is? Sure, her father is a bastard and her mother long deceased, but even as he is he does not deserve the wrath of whatever villain she attracts.

Audra Blue. She would never register. But this works in her favor, as she is a supreme hacker and knows that she can find out whatever information she wants about others.

Forgot one of my characters...

Dr. Pain -- 'Well *DUH*, I'm registered. I've got a god-damned public ID, I first manifested my powers on pay-per-view in front of an audience of hundreds of thousands of people, you really think I'm *not* registered?

What are my opinions on it? My opinion is that I"m a human being, not a goddamned car. I shouldn't have to get a fucking license plate for my own ass. But it's the law, and this is a democracy, so the fact that I don't like it doesn't mean I get to blow it off. I mean, I don't like income taxes either, but I still pay 'em."

Guardian - Hell no. She's already got Genocide after her, and now the government wants her to register? Let them take a flying leap.

Ice Rose - No. Anyone who attempts to enforce it will learn the truth of my name in a most painful fashion.

Checkmate - Would hack their system in a heartbeat, show them that it's hackable, and tell them 'no' before wiping the entire system completely.

Twilight: "Well I'm really just a well trained person, so registration is a moot point in my case. However if I had powers, I'm not sure I'd get myself registered. I mean sure it is the law and all, but really registering would be endangering my family unneccesarily, considering VIPER and worse hunting my ass."

Friedan Retter: "NEIN!! NO WAY, NO HOW!! Mein Herr, I would sooner date a rabid werewolf then expose my private life to the government. Letting Black Harlequin give me dental surgery is a less frightening prospect."

Adamant: "Well, I'm not to fond of that particular law but I'm not going to break it just because I'm unfond of it. That would set a bad example. As a rolemodel, I'd want to influence children to follow the moral path."

Dr. Visscitude: "Register?" *does a Jedi hand wave thing as her pheromones start effecting you. "I already have registered."

Re: Australia, where a man can wear his mask?

Originally posted by Hermit

Heh, sorry Alan, but hey, if nothing else, it could lead to some interesting RP between native Australian super heroes, and the 'interlopers from the north' :)

Bah! The only roleplaying Assault would be doing would be when he goes down to Kirby Footwear to buy a new pair of butt-kicking boots.

Well, that and recruiting teammates.

(Actually it would be a ridiculously fun game. Almost worth PBEMing. The Metahuman World Cup!)

Alan

Warp: "My lawyer advises me to register, because if I don't and my identity is somehow revealed it would cause problems for me. Thankfully, with my connections and the political sensitivity of one of the richest men in the world being a mutant, my identity will recieve the highest classification possible and then some. No one but the DOSPA Director himself will be able to access it."

Spectrum: "I gained my powers on a Shuttle Mission, and I'm an Air Force Officer. I was registered as part of my debriefing."

Mr. Mystic: "Register? That's for metahumans. I'm as human as the next person. I've merely learned skills that few have had a chance to, but could be theoretically developed by anybody willing to study who had acess to the right library."

Proteus: "One of my identities is registered."

In my game there is no registraion act, but if there were:

Anthem. Well he's the head of the governments secret meta-human covert operations and intelligence teams (all three of them). He's registered and looking at your characters file right now.

Midnight. Dark avenger of the night (nightwing clone). No, he doesn't consider registration a good career move.

Doc Micro. The government knows about him, after all, he got stuck being 1" tall working on one of their projects, which they have never been able to reproduce. They know about him, he knows they know about him. He has no intention of becoming a ginuea pig in some army lab. No, no registration for him, thank you very much.

Pinstripe. Ahem... register? The guy with over 1,500 career kills. The guy whose wanted by just about every underworld group and law enforcement agency in America? And several in South America and Europe? They guy who killed a corrupt US senator on national television? The guy who executes dirty cops and makes sure the other cops know about it? The only way you'll find him in the registration office is if he's there to execute a corrupt beuaracrat who works on the project.

Nighthawk - Would just ignore it he doesn't have any real superpowers anyway and he's too busy dealing with Harlequin, Mr. Equinox, Crimelord, and the rest of his Rogues Gallery not to mention the everyday scum on the streets of Hudson City to really be bothered with it.

Patriot - Would register but for him it's really just a formality. After more than 80 years of service, first as a Military Officer and then as a Superhero, the records on him are pretty complete already.

Centurion - Would fight it tooth and nail, sending the law all the way to the Supreme Court if need be, mostly as a matter of principle. As a foriegn Head of State (with dual US citizenship) he would be exempt anyway. If need be he'd cut some political throats to get the thing repealed or at least modified heavily so that it only applies to criminals.

The Imperial Khan - merely shakes his head sadly and murmurs "And so the United States takes another step down the road to totalitianism. A pity, Democracy is such a splendid concept but they have executed it so poorly as to virtually destroy it. A pity indeed."

In RDU, this came up much later than Champs suggested.... like the Registration Act came up a couple of years ago (right Neil?). However, it was mandatory, put into draconian measure by the current Republican admin... and was poorly written, IMO of the majority of my characters. Although I did have a couple of characters who would have signed.

It was challenged, and a long standing NPC took it on her chin, went to jail for a long time, while the case moved up through the courts.

It was recently, in game time, overturned. Now, the legislation is being re-written... and so far, it seems like a much better, more measured bill. One of the side benefits is almost guarenteed employment if you sign up. Someone, somewhere will be able to use almost any Power in a constructive, profitable way.

Some of the sting of the PRA (Paranormal Registration Act) was taken away, even while it was on the books... simply because our main game (and several mini campaigns) are not set in the U.S. anymore.

In the game I'm currently running there's no registration act. I don't think that kind of red tape/hassle is in genre for this game, so I ignore it. The Champions are one of several sanctioned teams, and there's a system in place to ensure that they can testify in court when necessary. The system isn't discussed, but it doesn't involve divulging secret IDs. It will probably not be used as a plot device, so I'm not bringing it in. It's just too big of a concern to have around if it isn't the focus of the storyline, so altough it has come up, it has died in committee, and never been enacted.

If I was playing in an official CU game, my PC would only register if he was either a government operative or already had a criminal record, in which cases his ID would already be on file.