WWYCD: I've been relaunched/Rebooted!

Hermit

Your character is high on the rooftops, or maybe just driving home, when there's an odd but brief moment of dizziness.

While it takes a moment to recall, and the memories are hazy, your character soon realizes that changes have happened not only to him/her, but to the entire world!

1) Your character is a bit younger, anywhere from 3 to 10 years younger though no younger than a teenager. For example If he/she was going to college, she's probably back in highschool now. If he/she was hitting the big 40, now he she might be facing the dreaded 30 or have just passed it. Many others in your life seem to be in the same situation, though not uniformly. You may find yourself calling some you considered a 'younger generation of heroes' peers.

2) If you were married, it seems to have been undone. It's unlikely you have any off spring anymore. This doesn't mean no romance and no family, just that the romance seems to be back to the swinging single days, and family is more likely your parents or sibs than any offspring of your own.

3) Your costume has changed. It might be slight (different tones to the same set up or a new color) or a great deal.

4) "Normal" folks are gasping and acting like they've never seen superheroes before, or at least not many. Asking around, it turns the first superhero appeared five years ago, tops.

5) Some of the folks you know, possibly yourself as well, seem a bit more "diverse". Some have different ethnic or national backgrounds, a few may have new sexual orientatations. A few may have new professions or twists on it (Instead of a radio announcer in the traditional sense, your DNPC may run podcasts)

6) some new heroes have appeared, and some old ones seemed to have vanished.

What would your character's new 'status quo' be like in this universal relaunch, and if he/she found out he was the only one who remembered the 'old universe' what would he/she try to do about it if anything?

Re: WWYCD: I've been relaunched/Rebooted!

Can Opener would conclude that either its memory banks had been tampered with, or that it was suffering some kind of data corruption. It would try to locate its creator and report a malfunction.

Lucius Alexander

Riding a palindromedary to a shoe store

Anthem was already a teenager, though being a few years younger puts her back at the range she was when she first started. Likely she stays in school this time in order to create more alter-ego drama, develops a younger arch-enemy (Probably a redevelopment of the cross-town rival vigilante, Blue Murder, who it is rumored has killed people (though it's unproven and could be an urban legend created for fear). Her powers are generally the same, but with her martial arts training coming from working side-by-side with a mentor who it turns out is actually a villain and who had been grooming her to be his criminal sidekick. They would end up at odds, of course. And her costume has less skin showing but is probably more of a tight costume with some padding. Oh, and she'd be secret id rather than the nebulous ID she has now.

Uncle Slam would have probably his whole vietnam era history rewritten, perhaps be a bit more hard-nosed, more the traditional over-the-top patriot. His powers would remain, if not be amped up a bit further. Rather than an ill-fated affair with the queen of Atlantis, he would have an ongoing thing with her.

Audra Blue would still be dark and sullen, but she'd develop avatars of a sort; android bodies that she can send out to perform tasks. Since they can be customized to look different, they would vary and no one would necessarily know they were speaking to one unless they could somehow pick up the broadcast signal to them. She would not be working with the local hero group, having plucked her base from it's location after her mentor died and taken it underground. She's a solo act, and thus her only interraction is virtually and through the androids, thus she'd have a number of social problems.

Well as the GM I have just done something similar to the group.

After about 6 months real time (but about 3 weeks of game time passing) and the end of the main scenario and down time to play another RPG I have decided to rewrite the characters.

Shunt the absorbing brick will now glow different colours when he is hit (absorption, resistant defence and damage reduction have all recieved the perceivable limitation to give extra points to buy other stuff). His damage reduction will hit 50% so he will be the ultimate damage absorber and ping pong ball as he wants no KB to assist with his physical absorption to strength trick!

Port my Telporting nightmare of a character will replace his MP with a VPP (which breaks all my own rules on active points maximum for powers!!!!) to give him his ultimate wish of "I have teleport so I should be able to do this" (but did not have the current power in his MP at the time). I hope I can plan out all the powers he wants before hand!!!!!

Longwei and Tatsuya the shapechanging Dragon forms of Melinda will be tweaked so I can fit in a few more little extras so they can be even more dragon like (I forgot to include stretching for the 3 ton one!).

A couple of character had vehicles that they never used (because of the teleporter being the team vehicle) have had a refund so they have points to spend so possible changes.

I need to change some complications around (like the Doctor that has the code against killing which is the most blood thirsty of the lot!).

After saving the world from the ophidian plague they are getting a new base and government sponsorship so they should get a costume change as well.

So lots of new points to spend, powers may change and new ones will develop and backgrounds may change.

So overall very like a world reboot ;)

Iron Maiden is in her mid-twenties. This change probably puts her back to her late teens. If it puts her back in school, she grits her teeth and finishes it. (She liked school--it was her refuge from her very dysfunctional family life, but she's BEEN THERE already. Nonetheless, she'll stick it out to get her diploma again.) She WON'T go on to college again, though. Since she'd been writing novels for a living, she'll still have the practice/experience, so she'll just resume that career in this new world. She will cut off all contact with her birth family (again), and make a new "family" for herself consisting of a few close friends. Mostly the same friends as before, albeit some of them are of different genders/ethnicities/etc.

Her costume is probably a lot more revealing than the original, which consisted of tights, leather mini-skirt, tank top and knee-length coachman's cloak. Probably the cloak's been replaced by a conventional cape so as not to hide her figure. She'll probably go back to the cloak and to hell with the "makeover" she got.

She wasn't married. She was already living the swinging single lifestyle--and I use that term advisedly. She just keeps on with it. She actually kinda likes being one of the first superheroines, rather than just another in a long line of them.

As a classic flying brick, she has little chance of undoing the change.

The Black Knight is ninety years old, though he looks like he's in his mid-twenties. (He "died" and rejuvenated when he had his origin "radiation accident".) So now he looks like he's in his late teens. Which sucks when he wants to drink--but only so much, since he has a public identity so his real age isn't hard to document (just hard to believe). But he gets carded a lot. His only family consists of grandchildren and great-grandchildren (all much older than he appears now) he doesn't interact with, and who may or may not know that they are related to the infamous Black Knight, but who mostly don't care either. That won't change.

His old costume--fatigue pants, combat boots, chainmail shirt and pot helm--gets a thorough makeover. Probably into something skintight and more color coordinated. He doesn't care, really. It's just a costume.

The Black Knight, like Iron Maiden, isn't married (his wife died two decades ago). Unlike her, he has no desire to find a steady relationship again (been there, done that). He's happy to continue living the carefree swinging single lifestyle indefinitely. (In fact, he and Iron Maiden have an ongoing "friends with benefits" relationship that won't be affected at all by the reboot).

If he knows the universe was rebooted, he'll be curious--has it happened before and he DIDN'T remember it?--but not terribly moved to change things. His whole life changed far more dramatically when he became the Black Knight, and he's happy with the status qho.

Hmm. Leaving Vixen out of this one, as she hasn't even graduated High School and doesn't really have a lot of history to rewind. :)

War Wolf would probably assume some kind of memory malfunction ... if he's the only entity who remembers the 'old past', including other AIs, he'd probably have to write it off as a memory glitch or his own memory being messed with rather than six billion people and every database on the planet being altered. Possibly check to see if anything else weird temporally has occured in the recent past as a side bet, though.

1. Age doesn't really apply to War Wolf, being an immortal robot and all.

2. Another essentially non-applicable entry ... he's created a 'daughter' named Arsenal, but that was a construction and thus not really family.

3. Original paintjob was gunmetal grey with splashes of dark blue ... if this is 'Ultimate War Wolf', he probably black in place of the grey. And he probably has more traditional firearms in place of his blasters and stunners, much to his chagrin.

4. This would be the thing that would mess with him, because he has been around longer than 5 years himself. He'd check to see if there were any signs of perennial baddies like Destroyer and Mechanon, or if possible check on their civilian IDs if known.

5. He doesn't really notice that sort of thing now, so it wouldn't really affect him 'post reboot'. As a robot, it's not like he even understands the concept of sexual attraction or orientation ('404: Libido Not Found'), and he can't see why people make a big deal out of people having different paintjobs or chassis modifications.

6. Something to adapt to, but mostly he'd want to find out if any of his old teammates were 'still' in the hero biz.

Your character is high on the rooftops, or maybe just driving home, when there's an odd but brief moment of dizziness.

While it takes a moment to recall, and the memories are hazy, your character soon realizes that changes have happened not only to him/her, but to the entire world!

Amphibion has experienced cross-dimensional travel before and is familiar with the concept of "alternate timelines." He is likely to assume he has somehow crossed over into an alternate probable version of himself.

1) Your character is a bit younger' date=' anywhere from 3 to 10 years younger though no younger than a teenager. For example If he/she was going to college, she's probably back in highschool now. If he/she was hitting the big 40, now he she might be facing the dreaded 30 or have just passed it. Many others in your life seem to be in the same situation, though not uniformly. You may find yourself calling some you considered a 'younger generation of heroes' peers.[/quote']

More important will be his relationship to his mentor - see below

2) If you were married' date=' it seems to have been undone. It's unlikely you have any off spring anymore. This doesn't mean no romance and no family, just that the romance seems to be back to the swinging single days, and family is more likely your parents or sibs than any offspring of your own.[/quote']

His parents died at sea in a storm that would have killed him too if his powers had not manifested.

3) Your costume has changed. It might be slight (different tones to the same set up or a new color) or a great deal.

Just one more clue as to what has happened.

4) "Normal" folks are gasping and acting like they've never seen superheroes before' date=' or at least not many. Asking around, it turns the first superhero appeared five years ago, tops.[/quote']

Hie mentor Sea King therefore either never existed; or has only existed for a few years, and Amphibion may have just come into his powers. If the latter, it implies his parents survived until he reached young adulthood. He'd be confused because their loss is now a new, raw wound, but at the same time, he's glad they had longer lives and were able to see him graduate high school.

5) Some of the folks you know' date=' possibly yourself as well, seem a bit more "diverse". Some have different ethnic or national backgrounds, a few may have new sexual orientatations. A few may have new professions or twists on it (Instead of a radio announcer in the traditional sense, your DNPC may run podcasts)[/quote']

His world was already pretty diverse. And he was already African American.

6) some new heroes have appeared' date=' and some old ones seemed to have vanished.[/quote']

Probably no Sea King. Is there still a secret undersea kingdom of Atlantis?

What would your character's new 'status quo' be like in this universal relaunch' date=' and if he/she found out he was the only one who remembered the 'old universe' what would he/she try to do about it if anything?[/quote']

If he can find any of his old contacts who would be knowledgeable about such possibilities (mostly magicians) he'd lay it out for them and ask advice. His biggest concern is "If I'm here then the version of me that's supposed to be here is probably there in my own reality, and he's younger and less experienced than I am and probably out of his depth dealing with the change!"

If he can't find anyone he thinks can help, he'll probably just write out his story, add differences as he notes them, but not talk to anyone.

Lucius Alexander

I still have a palindromedary

Since when I left Riptide I had actually played through his retirement due to medical issues, he would be delighted to have that happen to him and wouldn't squawk at all.

Hellfire was a married woman and wouldn't be at all happy to lose that. Does it count as an annulment? Is there some other universe where her husband is wondering why she's forgotten being married to him? She'd be looking for schmott guys to tell her what was going on.

I actually played through T.N. Lung's martyrdom so that would resurrect him. He'd probably try to seek out Tyrannosaur and avert his attempt to take over Lung's planet by teaching him better philosophy.

D'arc would find herself once again back in her career as a white collar super criminal using her powers as a superhacker/. She'd try to go legit.

Chrome was already high school aged so that would put her back in middle school making her make her debut again. Phreak would similarly be back in high school doing the same thing

Smoke probably meant a campsite, and a fire under control. Still, campers out here were not common and lightning from last night's storm could have set fire to something that the rain failed to put out. The hunter trudged up the hill to have a look.

He was a young man with dark red hair, clean shaven, tall but with something yet gangly about his limbs suggesting he had more growing to do. He carried his shotgun easily in one hand, the other holding, slung over a shoulder, a heavy canvas bag.

There was a campsite, the fire out but still smoking, a dome tent that had somehow managed to stay in place and intact through the storm. And a camper, lying on a blanket at a little distance from both tent and fire. Had he slept outside in the rain? Why?

The hunter saw a young man, like himself, but with raven black hair to his shoulders. His unclad body was a study in Human perfection, like a classical statue of a Greek Olympic athlete. When they opened, the eyes were a shockingly intense blue.

"Hi Ben!" the camper grinned.

"How did you know my name?" asked the suspicious hunter.

"I saw you in my vision. I've been vision questing."

Ben was skeptical but tried to be open minded. "A vision, huh? You're not the first new age hippy I've run into out here. What else did you learn from your visions, besides my first name?"

The camper lept to his feet, laughing, as a sudden wind whipped up. "I learned some of what I can do." Slowly he rose into the air. He raised his arms over his head, and a bolt of lightning jumped from one hand to the other, nearly blinding his guest. "I called a storm last night."

Ben stepped back slowly but did not break and run. Instead he asked "Who are you?"

"I am Stormwalker. You do not know it yet, but you will be called Blue Titan. I have seen....what might have been." The wind subsides and Stormwalker settles back down to earth. "And I've seen what I think is yet to be. The world is changing Benjamin, and our part in it is just beginning. Speaking of changing, you need a change of clothes." The laugh is open and infectious, somehow free of mockery.

Suddenly realizing his discomfort, Ben looks down to see that his clothing has somehow shrunk and no longer fits. And his hands....are turning blue. Even as he moves to look himself over, seams split and buttons pop. Then it hits him. "I'm getting bigger!"

Stormwalker walks over to his tent. "I have a couple of folding chairs, and cooking gear. You look like you've been hunting. I'm just ending a fast, and you're a growing boy. Let's eat before we decide what else to do."

"But this is impossible!"

"My grandma used to threaten to wash my mouth with soap if I used that word. She's a wise woman, my granny."

Ben's sudden laugh is deeper and louder than Stormwalker's. "I bet she is. Help me skin these critters and tell me more about this vision quest."

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises

1) Your character is a bit younger, anywhere from 3 to 10 years younger though no younger than a teenager. For example If he/she was going to college, she's probably back in highschool now. If he/she was hitting the big 40, now he she might be facing the dreaded 30 or have just passed it. Many others in your life seem to be in the same situation, though not uniformly. You may find yourself calling some you considered a 'younger generation of heroes' peers.

2) If you were married, it seems to have been undone. It's unlikely you have any off spring anymore. This doesn't mean no romance and no family, just that the romance seems to be back to the swinging single days, and family is more likely your parents or sibs than any offspring of your own.

4) "Normal" folks are gasping and acting like they've never seen superheroes before, or at least not many. Asking around, it turns the first superhero appeared five years ago, tops.

5) Some of the folks you know, possibly yourself as well, seem a bit more "diverse". Some have different ethnic or national backgrounds, a few may have new sexual orientatations. A few may have new professions or twists on it (Instead of a radio announcer in the traditional sense, your DNPC may run podcasts)

What would your character's new 'status quo' be like in this universal relaunch, and if he/she found out he was the only one who remembered the 'old universe' what would he/she try to do about it if anything?

1) Badger- would then be in his 20s somewhere Frosty Bob-does not seem to age, so N/A

2) Neither are married or have (living family) that plays a part in their life (though Badger's motivation is avenging death of mother/sister). And Badger seems to be very content (relatively of course) to avoid a social life of any kind.

3) Largely N/A. Badger "doesnt do silly costumes". Bob wears military fatigues most all the time.

4) Might mean retconning done to them. Badger's powers are hereditary (alien father) while Bob has been immortal since at least WWII. Badger also provides a complication since his family was murdered by someone with powers when he was just 6 or 7. And his father would have powers (but since he went back-allegedly- to his own alien people just after his younger sister was born it might not be a problem per se, if no one really saw his powers)

5) Could be some retconning if things are changed. Central to Badger's character is the fact his mother is Irish and father is alien. And a central part of Bob's character (mostly for humor) is making foolish advances to women that gets him into trouble. It would be doable to change those 2 facts, i suppose, but would change the "semblance" of the character.

6) Wouldnt matter too much.

And depending on the changes definitely would try to get back.

All Characters:

Depends on the changes. If I liked things the way they were and hate what was done to me, I might break the fourth wall and dopeslap whoever's responsible or go search for the reset button.

Yeah, same, there are some things I couldnt deal with changing. Because that makes the character's personality the way they are. And their personality makes them who they are as much as the powers (and in my 2 cases likely more so)

Not allot really changes with Knighthawk. He's already 16, half black, half Japanese, dating a Chinese girl and his best friend recently came out as a lesbian to him. "Superhumans" (more insanely skilled people and those with unusual gadgets and technology) have only been publicly known for a couple of years in the campaign (but have existed for much longer). Most people think its all bunk or haven't heard of any of it.

Voltage would be back in high school, and sidekicking for Steel Centurian. On the bad side, he's too young for beer and college girls now. On the good side, he's away from the strangest group of superheroes ever gathered. As for family, his parents have been dead for a few years and he was still in college when the change occured, so no family of his own. Either Centurian or his wife would now be of a different ethnicity, and it would be a mixed marriage. Voltage himself would still have the blue skin and no hair. Costume would be an updated version of the "spandex" one he wore previously. His biggest concern would be finding out the status of certain well-known and long-standing heroes and villains (especially Viper and Dr. Destroyer) in a world where superheroes have only been known for five years. It also brings his own origin into question, as it's heavily tied in to Viper's activities just before his birth, and the fact that his father was a supervillain who retired before he was born.

Your character is high on the rooftops' date=' or maybe just driving home, when there's an odd but brief moment of dizziness. [/quote']

Here I am, dangling by the tail from the underside of a helicopter, my bokken in one hand, an M16 with empty clip in the other. I am glad my team is getting away rather than trying to help me. I'm a dead man.

I have only one chance. Let go. I'm falling. Harder to target.

Now, to die. On my own terms. They won't kill me if they find me already dead. Die so that I can live again. I've done this before, but can I do it right when I have only seconds? I'm already more relaxed than I've ever been in my life, I have nothing to lose now. Let all the muscles go limp, no tension, no motion, even the diaphragm, even the heart - NOW -

While it takes a moment to recall' date=' and the memories are hazy, your character soon realizes that changes have happened not only to him/her, but to the entire world![/quote']

Am I dead? This smells like sheol. But I'm not on fire. If I reincarnated, my new mother tossed me in the garbage. I hurt. Infants scream and I'm not screaming. Either I'm in an afterlife or...

1) Your character is a bit younger' date=' anywhere from 3 to 10 years younger though no younger than a teenager. For example If he/she was going to college, she's probably back in highschool now. If he/she was hitting the big 40, now he she might be facing the dreaded 30 or have just passed it. Many others in your life seem to be in the same situation, though not uniformly. You may find yourself calling some you considered a 'younger generation of heroes' peers.[/quote']

I've had a stroke. Not surprising, I'm.....how old am I again? Who AM I anyway?

2) If you were married' date=' it seems to have been undone. It's unlikely you have any off spring anymore. This doesn't mean no romance and no family, just that the romance seems to be back to the swinging single days, and family is more likely your parents or sibs than any offspring of your own.[/quote']

My name is Ethan Matsudo. Am I dying? I never sired a child. Would my father have wanted me to? Is he proud of me? Will I see him soon?

I'm in a dumpster. Terrific. No wonder it smells so bad. I must have fallen while climbing or jumping from roof to roof. Yuck. Let me climb out of this mess. I can feel it...

I can feel it? I can feel my tail too. That's not quite right. No digital read out. My hands....

I am not wearing armor made to look like a dragon. I have BECOME some kind of dragon.

4) "Normal" folks are gasping and acting like they've never seen superheroes before' date=' or at least not many. Asking around, it turns the first superhero appeared five years ago, tops.[/quote']

Yeah, you BET I'm not something you want to meet in a dark alley. I'd run too, but that wouldn't help. It seems just now I thought I was dying and I was.... content. It's been a long life. How long? Kind of fuzzy on that...but now I know I'm alive and I'm confused. And scared. And that makes me angry.

5) Some of the folks you know' date=' possibly yourself as well, seem a bit more "diverse". Some have different ethnic or national backgrounds, a few may have new sexual orientatations. A few may have new professions or twists on it (Instead of a radio announcer in the traditional sense, your DNPC may run podcasts)[/quote']

What do I know? I am Ethan Matsudo. My mother was Jewish and met my father in a concentration camp, one of the satellites of Dachau. My father was an American soldier, with the 522nd, one of the Nisei battalions. He died in Korea....no wait, in Vietnam. Or was I in Vietnam?

Whatever I am, I can still climb. Let me get to the roof while I....figure something out.

(In other words, he always WAS about as diverse as possible)

6) some new heroes have appeared' date=' and some old ones seemed to have vanished.[/quote']

Radio's not working, can't call the team. Okay, I'm back in Las Vegas. Or still in Las Vegas. But the casino is GONE. If I'm remembering a team of superheroes with a secret headquarters that doesn't even exist, I'm in very bad shape. Go to a hospital?

Like this? They'd say I need a veterinarian. Or a paleontologist. A cryptozoologist?

Let's see if I can find the dojo. And Mike. Good old "Iron Chin." If he's turned into a giant panda or something, I'll try throwing cold water on him until he's the tough old Chinese boxer I've always known. Maybe I'm really living in an episode of "Ranma" and a dragon died in that dumpster and I'll change back if I take a bath. I need one. Or a change of clothes. Or a change of body, rather.

What would your character's new 'status quo' be like in this universal relaunch' date=' and if he/she found out he was the only one who remembered the 'old universe' what would he/she try to do about it if anything?[/quote']

I remember now, it wasn't really me in Viet Nam that died trying to save that villlage. Of course not. That was dad. I just feel like it was me because I almost died like he did doing the exact same thing in Guatemala, except I DID save some of them because I let the crazy old Indian put the headdress on me and it WORKED and that's when I became Quetzlcoatl the brilliant plumaged dragon-man, and I don't have to leap from roof to roof, I CAN FLY!

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes we'll have to retcon away his time with the Mossad. And we can just hear Mike saying "Pew! What did you do, fall in a dumpster?"

Actually, thinking on it if Badger gets moved back to his early 20s, he is now one of the supervillains. Since, he was previously a villain before joining the team (team leader worked out a pardon).

Mainly he was a "villain" actually. He was supposed to have caused some trouble several times in the attempt to track down the family's killer. He wasnt exactly evil per se. Possibly ruthless in his villain days, but not evil

Shadow Hawk would find himself in his pre-government operative days, just after his escape from the facility that created him and his clone-brothers. This time, find his brothers, especially the one who would become Killer Hawk...

Steel Panther finds himself back in freshman High School, working on his Mk. 1 armor. This time, Viper won't kidnap his mentor! (Put some weapons on this thing before the demo!)

El Mago goes back to when he first manifested his powers. He might find himself less of a playboy swinging single, since he was 'looking for the right woman' until the first assassination attempt by his mother.

Col. Tank if he found himself younger, it would be a major change to his origin (which involves service at Iwo Jima, the 3rd nuclear weapons test, Korea, Vietnam...). More likely he would just find his military service extended 10 years and his forced retirement pushed back that much.

Riot would immediately call his Family to know if they were safe. Then using his power of Temporal Duplication he would check with his Temporal Duplicates to learn if any of them knew what happened.

Riot would be "18" again, Having just arrived on the West Coast to begin his solo crimefighting career away from his Superhero Family/Team.

No Kids

Hmmm... No Luchadore Mask, mayber a real costume like his Champions Online costume!

Whoa! What about my Family? What happened?

Riot would have ended up in Law Enforcement an RCMP Officer or local Rookie Cop.

6) Some new heroes have appeared, and some old ones seemed to have vanished.

Riot is obsessively compulsive about following leads. All six Duplicates would coordinate, but pursue different paths of investigation.

Continue the good fight and hope one day to return home.

Superhero Family yah know (Furst Family/Fantastic Four/Noble Causes)

Cheers

QM

Bolt was still in high school. This would rewind him back to the time his powers first manifested.

Oh, that would mean that he's still dating Nicole for the first time and hasn't hurt Tracy yet. Find out if Tracy has also been rewound. If she doesn't remember how he dumped her, break it off with Nicole, wait a few weeks, then make a play for Tracy. But will that mean that he can't get Nicole away from her abusive stepfather? Related, will that mean that Nicole again joins Monstrous Regiment (a villain group themed around movie and mythological monsters) when she manifests next year and will he be able to pull her out of it this time?

If Bolt hasn't become part of the Crew yet, he won't have a costume yet. If so, it will be close, maybe more silver striping on the sides.

That's not far off of his own world. They've been around for close to 20, but the first wavers stayed secret until more and more people manifested.

The Crew was already pretty diverse, but if Null Space had gone from atheist to Christian and/or Guardian Angel done the reverse, Bolt[/b[ would be totally weirded out.

But the more important question is what about the villains?