X Ray-ted Vision

phoenix240

Thanks to moquif for the original idea

Your character, male or female, is asked by a popular adult magazine/publication to pose for a pictorial. The sizable proceeds for the shoot will go to the charity of their choice. The catch is that the pictures will nude. Mask, gloves, etc can be kept on but everything will be gone. All effort will be taken to maintain any Secret IDs and preliminary research shows the company is on the up and up and other supers that have accepted haven't met with any nefarious fates (vanishing, every Hunted they have showing up the instant they disrobe, etc). The character has creative control over the degree of explicit display in the pictures but at a minimum they would be Playboy like pictorials.

Would your character accept?

Re: X Ray-ted Vision

Well, War Wolf wouldn't because, well, he's a robot. He's got nothing to show. He might do a centerfold in Popular Mechanics, though.

Vixen, utter and complete attention wh**e that she is, would accept in a heartbeat*. Of course, her super-powered form is a furry, so there's not really a lot to see there either, so I doubt she'd be approached.

*Vix just turned 18 in-game, and I'm not sure how old you have to be to appear in those kinds of magazines, so it may be moot.

Doctor Sanguine would raise a brow, "While nudes have been associated with high art through out the centuries, my duties require a certain ...perception be enforced. Regretfully, I must decline. Should you wish me to pass word of your offer to my team mates, I can do so and see if they are interested."

And then vanish dramatically.

Terminal Velocity would say no - it would mess up his image... and he's 19.

Angelfire would say no - she has made a point that while she is a half succubus rock star, and does the occasional sexy picture, she never ever does nudes.

Ballistic wouldn't - he's a early 40s guy in a supersuit. Not really all that appealing.

Sift would not. She's 23 but still a virgin - she would not be comfortable with that at all.

Meeb walks around naked all the time, so he would.

Black Cat would not. She considers that a private matter. If someone wants to see her nude, they have to be in a realationship with her.

Given I think that stuff is a blot on society in real life, none of my characters would aside from the blob like alien.

Well' date=' War Wolf wouldn't because, well, he's a robot. He's got nothing to show. He might do a centerfold in [i']Popular Mechanics[/i], though.

Vixen, utter and complete attention wh**e that she is, would accept in a heartbeat*. Of course, her super-powered form is a furry, so there's not really a lot to see there either, so I doubt she'd be approached.

Given certain aspects of furry fandom she just might be.

Shadow Hawk would not. As a metahuman operative for a secret government agency, it would be a bad idea. (and who would want to see photos of a man whose main power is invisibility? "Here's a photo of Shadow Hawk in front of the Eifel Tower totally nude! At least he told us he was nude, since you can't see him in the picture...")

Goliath has the mentality of a three year old. So, no.

El Mago wouldn't, because he's a nobleman and that sort of thing isn't done.

Thunderbolt! would think about it... if there was some way to prevent his mom from finding out...

The Eagle would. He'd even be flattered. The question would become what would his long-term girlfriend do when she found out...

Dayfyd Till would not pose nude, but might do a 'beefcake' spread for the Alliance. Especially if he was just told they were taking his photo while working.

Iron Maiden would accept. She'd get a thrill out of it, in fact.

Raven would not. She has cultivated a well-earned reputation as a half-crazy, feral superheroine who always seems to be lurking in the shadows nearby. A nude pictorial, however tasteful, would dilute that hard-earned reputation and isn't worth it.

Black Mask would do it for the charity involved, and he would find the whole thing rather amusing.

The Black Knight would be glad to do it. He's never been the subject of a pictorial before, and never been photographed nude either. He's all about doing new things. So he's in.

Rose Hancock would probably do it. It's not like she's got a lot to hide at this point, what with having a Public ID and paparrazi bothering her all the time. At least this way, someone deserving (the charity in question) will be making money off pictures of her, rather than those vile paparazzi.

Nightscream may or may not. On the one hand, he's really kind of a mild-mannered science geek only marginally hardened by his stint in prison, so he'd be somewhat baffled that anyone WANTS to see him naked in the first place. On the other hand, his best friend who he desperately wants to make his girlfriend is a stripper, so he has no real hang-ups with the concept. Back on the first hand, he is helping aforementioned stripper care for her five-year-old son (whose father is the man he killed that earned him his jail time), and he thinks that at least one person in the household (okay, borderline apartment) should make their living with their clothes on. Back on the other hand, the good publicity for giving money to charity and being able to speak about some of the dealings of his heroic life could be a boon to his mental health and public image. And back on the first hand, exposure isn't exactly something you want when your a vigilante whose civilian ID is still on parole, hence his less-then-sterling public image to begin with.

I can recall a wonderful line from the season 2 finale of Boardwalk Empire. Says Arnold Rothstien: Flip a coin. When it's in the air, you'll know which side you're hoping for.

That's probably how Nightscream would handle it.

Vitus has been asked to do such a shoot. He even accepted. Of course, being at the shoot did mean he missed Eurostar turning up to kill him, so it all worked out fine. Except for his teammates having the snot beaten out of them until they promised to hand Vitus over when he got back.

Zero would be horrified - far too shy to accept.

ROVER would probably accept if it was, say, a Popular Mechanics foldout

Girl Anachronism would probably accept. "Oh, that's going to be fun, I remember I'm going to get so much fan mail after the issue is going to have come out, and some of them are going to have turned out to be from really creepy people, but that's okay because they're going to die, kinda like everybody else, in the long term, when you're looking forward to looking backwards on that sort of thing, yanno? Seize the day, whichever year it is this time."

Volt - No way. Over 60, overweight, shy and against his morals.

Olorin - Probably not. If in the right mood, he might turn himself into a woman then pose. "Who wants to see a skinny male wizard?"

Black Tiger - You'd have to be very nervy to even ask. No way. He likes to be mysterious.

Leadman - Good Catholic boy. No way.

Futurian - "Me? Nude? Ok. But let me tweak my nanites so I'm more buff first."

From one of Captain Boing's transmissions home

In discussing the reproductive biology of this species and the complex cultural structures that arise from it I mentioned in passing the existence of periodicals with erotic content, usually featuring two dimensional visual representations of humans without clothing. I have since learned this phenomenon intersects with the Costumed Adventurer subculture in a way I had not anticipated, in that there are apparently magazines and web sites (both examples of information/ sensory input available to the public in return (usually) for consideration) specializing in depictions of erotically presented depictions of costumed adventurers. It is to be noted that in most cases the depictions are not of actual members of the subculture but of professional models participating in a fantasy, not too different really from the fantasy central to the entire phenomenon, the "fantasy of sexual availability" discussed earlier. But occasionally actual costumed adventurers, superheroes as well as supervillians will consent to participate, and I was approached in my identity as Captain Boing for this purpose.

I was fascinated, not least because the costume itself is such a powerfully important symbol of ones identity in the subculture (both of what one is i.e. group identity, being part of the "superpowered world" and who one is that is, specific individual identity) and laying that aside would seem to be a profoundly transgressive act against group norms and against one's own self image. The entire proposal seems paradoxical; how can one possibly have "a nude photo of a superhero" when nude by definition means without clothing and a superhero is, if not literally defined by special clothing, not identifiable as such without it? The solution is to retain certain "iconic" garments: masks, hoods, boots, gloves, capes, and utility belts are often worn, but much of the body - including especially certain primary and secondary sexual characteristics - is exposed. The subject is both naked and in costume, simultaneously projecting an image of dangerous power and of vulnerability. No wonder such images are found to be so compelling.

Captain Boing is considered an especially attractive subject due to the nature of the abilities, innate to my species, that are considered "superpowers" here and enable me to be a participant-observer of the costumed adventurer subculture. It was emphasized that if I can reshape my entire body at will, I have what they call "power perversion potential." Not to self - write more about Earth culture's linking of the concepts of "size" with "value, importance, and utility" and especially about their preoccupation with the male organ of generation.

I used the opening to further my research, interviewing several people in the guise of "making my decision" but of course had to decline. Nude photographs are also called "dirty pictures" which clearly indicates where they stand on the "cleanliness/purity vs dirt/impurity" symbolic axis and the Captain Boing persona is built around living up to the subculture's ideals for a superhero. Some members of the team have said it seems "out of character" to have even considered such an enterprise; others say that asking questions and investigating it is in keeping with my "naive curiosity" (sample comment: "He's a boy scout but also a space cadet, and you never know what wacky question he'll ask next...oh, uh, hi Captain!")

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that Captain Boing has a Psych Limit: Approved by Comics Code Authority

Super Model wouldn't in a million years. She'll pose tastefully nude for a fashion shoot if she likes the concept and considers the lack of clothing to be an essential aspect, but is very careful of the line between fashion and erotica. Image is probably more important to her than to most superheroes, as she makes a very comfortable living off hers and has since long before becoming a super.

Kurzhaan the Conqueror will happily get naked whenever and wherever; all someone has to do is ask. If anything, his teammates have their work cut out for them trying to get him to keep some clothes on.

Hyborian Age views on fashion + lycanthropy + shameless flirt = not a lot of covering up going on

Young Scratch wouldn't be scandalized by the request or anything, but he'd definitely turn down the offer. Asmodeus is considered the Prince of Lust in classical demonology, and the last thing he'd want to do is indirectly increase his father's power by inspiring lustful thoughts in thousands of people.

Every picture of Earth Girl is a nude picture, so the magazine wouldn't be offering readers anything they couldn't see in newspapers or TV coverage featuring her. Between that and the fact she's made out of animated soil and rock, I doubt there would be much demand.

Chimera - Vin would do it in heroic or secret ID. He has no problem with nudity. In his normal human form, he looks like a smoking hot Brazilian underwear model already. His transformations frequently shred his clothes, so it's not like he's not used to running around half naked anyhow. However, his heroic ID is a human/animal hybrid that blends the features of monkeys, cats and bats, so there might not be too much demand for that sort of thing.

Robin Fletcher - Robin's handsome, buff and not at all shy, but he's also something of a classic southern gentlemen, try as he might to be a proper scoundrel from time to time. He could probably be convinced to do it for a good cause... or if he thought it would tick off his old man! But it's not something he would actively seek out, that's for sure. Ultimately, I doubt it would happen unless he kept it a secret though. He'd absolutely never get the OK from headquarters, since his "stage persona" is one of the public faces of the mercenary group Heroes For Hire.

Coldfront and Heatwave, the Tempest Twins - They both have some body image issues due to the nature of their physical mutations (ash gray skin, snow white hair, pupiless blue/red eyes, slightly pointed ears, fangs) and so would probably find the idea that someone wanted to see them naked strange, but flattering. However, they both work as agents for a transdimensional organization that would probably not approve, so even if they were willing, they would not get permission. Besides, in that campaign, such a magazine could only really exist on War World anyhow, since post humans are kept secret on Earth Prime and hunted on Red Earth. Coldfront would likely be disowned (and then quietly murdered in her sleep) if her family found out she had posed nude for such a rag... she's kind of a part of the post-Nazi German "royal" family (complex alternate Earth history stuff). Michael could probably get away with it, since he's not from War World and his family and friends back home rarely find out what goes on there (despite the nick name, they are not actually twins). However, both Agents are only 17 as of this writing, so this is currently a non issue...

Speed Demon and Belladonna - Chad might be willing to do something like this in his super powered alter ego, assuming anyone wanted to see 7' tall demon naked. Not sure if there would be any demand for it in his human form though. He's famous as the former college football player that became a rock star after the accident that cost him use of his legs. His girlfriend uses her potions to make herself look unearthly beautiful. She really tries to play up the seductive vixen role, but at heart she's still an awkward, slightly overweight bookworm of a hedgewizard that wares glasses and has overly large front teeth. Chad thinks she's amazing and sexy, potions or not, but try telling her that.... so yeah, not without the magic brew that increases her looks and her confidence...

Detective Jack Ellis/Oliver Kale/The Beast Within - Jack is way to shy and skittish. Oliver would do it in a heart beat, and the more hardcore the better. The Beast Within is a massive demonic/gargoyle looking creature that has no taboos about nudity. But he's practically a force of nature and could not be contained long enough to do a photo shoot... unless the photo shoot involved lots of SMASH!

Billy the Id - Would be flattered and amused, but wouldn't do it. He'd politely decline.

The Wraith - Would neither be flattered or amused.

Diabolus - Would strip off the moment he got the request. Wherever he happened to be at the time.

Karl the Night Watchman - Would be too embarassed. His mom might find out.

Shooting Star - Would lecture everyone involved on the evils of such publications, especially sidekick Flashy.

Voltage: Would do it in a New York second. He's 19 years old, with a public identity (blue skin and glowing eyes are a little hard to conceal), and would love the opportunity to show off the "goods."

Mass: Would turn it down, as he just wouldn't see the point. He's a scientist, and would consider it more important to spend the time in his lab rather than naked in a photo studio.

Hyperman Jr.: No way. Would never even consider it. He is basicly a Silver Age DC superhero.

Gargoyle: Would say "Can you wait three years? I'm under age right now." He may look like a seven foot, bat winged, four-armed monster, but inside he's a fifteen year old kid. But once he did pose, it could cause quite a reaction among certain people.

Solarra: Would do it as long as she got to keep her mask on, her girlfriend could be present (also masked) at the shoot, and she got to pick the charity.

Jade Dragon: Would not. She considers her naked body to be a sacred gift given only to those she considers the most deserving.

Tiger-Girl : Would do it. She usually only wears what ammounts to a blue bikini anyway. And the furry fans would love it.

Grey Angel: Would without a doubt. She isn't exaclty gorgeous, but she as very solid self image and does manages to look good in armor. So anything with a uniform might work. She could even create her clothing (as much or little as needed). And the best part: Playboy exists in 1960! (at least something for this time. She is still wating for 2nd wave feminism and Flower Power time to come along, till then this time is depressing).

She might have even done it at home in her timeline. After all she was the greatest celebrity one could think of in her time (and propably the last they would ever have).

Landslide: Need soem serious boost of self confidence first. She is obvious, undeformed mutant (think Nightcrawler without the Tail for obviousness) and thus has a public ID. But she isn't very certain about her new body (she was born baseline human) and is happy enough that she can create her costume from thin air, as some of her powers proove destructive for all other clothing...

Of course' date=' it goes without saying that if your character's appearance, background, setting or other factors would logically exclude from even being asked they wouldn't be.[/quote']

Meeb would do it anyway. Maybe if it was not just one superhero in the issue, but a number of them, he is the joke in the bunch.

Mr. Blackwings - Ugly scarred grumpy blind man. N/A

Hybrid - Robot teen-ager. N/A

Mother Superior - Older woman who transforms into a hot young brick in a nun's habit. She would decline, though it would start her thinking about it. And might change her mind if they ask her again a year or so later.

Arc Angel - Narcissistic shallow pretty-boy who is also a brilliant engineer. He would jump at the chance to show off, and would probably be a bit non-discerning about the type of spread he was being asked to do.

Bingo the Clowno - Body-morphing clown detective. He would think about it, accept, and give them vastly more and less than they were counting on. It would be funny. Coulrophiles would be confused.

Why would any X-rated magazine print somebody that can incite fear?

Because a shapshifting clown could manage to be incredibly arousing while simultaneously triggering he psych lims of anyone that fears clowns ;)

But like I said, not sure exactly what he intended, so just speculating...