Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

I have no stomach nor nostalgia for most 'cult classics' of science fiction or fantasy from the 80s. I guess I preferred cartoons over live action (probably still do, if my Netflix history is any indication).

I have only seen parts of Krull, the first Conan, Ladyhawke, and Dragonslayer (mostly a bit where an old wizard lets himself get stabbed in the chest to prove a point or something and dies? I remember thinking 'that was a pretty dumb idea' even when I was 8. Oh, and a prince or king claims credit for the dragon kill. Typical.). 

I haven't seen Conan the Destroyer, Red Sonja, Dark Crystal, Legend, Flash Gordon, Tron, They Live, Dune... the list is endless.

Dragonslayer (mostly a bit where an old wizard lets himself get stabbed in the chest to prove a point or something and dies? I remember thinking 'that was a pretty dumb idea' even when I was 8. Oh, and a prince or king claims credit for the dragon kill. Typical.). 

That all makes more sense if you actually pay attention and watch to the end of the movie. I'm not saying you have to, just that this particular criticism isn't entirely accurate. You may not like enough other things about it to get that far, and that's fair.

Never saw Crystal Skull.

I haven't seen Conan the Destroyer, Red Sonja, Dark Crystal, Legend, Flash Gordon, Tron, They Live, Dune... the list is endless.

One of the more interesting experiences I've had was sitting next to an archaeologist while watching Crystal Skull. She really reacted adversely to the orgy of destruction of ancient artifacts late in the movie.

Of Broot's list, I've only seen two.

I saw Legend in first run because the gf had a thing for Tim Curry.

Dark Crystal I saw (on dvd) for Frank Oz's puppetry. I submit that is a valid reason by itself.

Some of it maybe a cultural thing as TV has changed through the decades. For example when I was growing up the BBC showed Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers and these were the old cinema shorts from the 30s with Larry 'Buster' Crabbe. That way I also became aware of Laurel and Hardy and Buster Keaton. And I started to go to the cinema on my own when Conan the Barbarian came out so i caught things like Flash Gordon and Dune as they came out. I submit that having to go back to see something maybe a reason for people to miss out.

Disliking an actor in something as Cassandra mentioned for Jim Carrey is a valid reason to skip it. I did not think much of Bruce Willis but I saw the reviews of Die Hard and went and was turned into an evangelist for it. My parents did not think much of him either, due to Moonlighting but I persuaded them to watch the video and they liked it. However you can see something with someone you dislike and it can confirm your prejudice cf Julia Roberts in Hook. 

That all makes more sense if you actually pay attention and watch to the end of the movie. I'm not saying you have to, just that this particular criticism isn't entirely accurate. You may not like enough other things about it to get that far, and that's fair.

I would hope it makes more sense in context than as a 30+ year old memory from a daydreaming 8 year old.  Frankly remembering that much indicates it left *some* sort of impression on me.

In just remembering that much I also remember a scene in a cave with an underground lake (on fire?) and the wizard's voice, an escape from a castle, and a woman in white being surrounded by baby dragons.  So I'm guessing it's an Obi Wan Kenobi type situation - to spur the protagonist to action and provide assistance - classic in movies like this because the hero's journey lets the audience learn about the story as the protagonist learns about the story. 

The turning in of geek cred is that I've never cared enough to go back and find out what I missed as a kid for the majority of the ones I thought had neat posters, didn't understand fully, or only saw bits of.  It's not so much criticism as a confession.

Though I did go back and watch Beastmaster and Masters of the Universe (the live action one) and wished I hadn't.  Maybe they ruined the entire 80s fantasy genre for me. :)

OK, seems like you did watch most of it, at least, so I won't worry about spoiling it for you. (On the off chance someone hasn't seen it by now, I'll spoiler tag it anyway):

The wizard was too frail to make the journey, so he traveled in powdered form, essentially. At the end, he reconstitutes like those just add water aliens in Bugs Bunny, then has an epic battle with the dragon. It was a sneaky way to get the heavy artillery in place. Though I think he does end up dying in the end, so it was a noble sacrifice, rather than just suicidal bravado.

The last time that I watched Flash Gordon, I think that I ended up channeling my late wife, because I became extremely fascinated with the decor and the costuming*. The plot, not so much.

*When you're looking at an action scene, and all that you can think of is just how much work it was to sew on all of those bugle beads by hand, you've probably lived with a crafter. 

The last time that I watched Flash Gordon, I think that I ended up channeling my late wife, because I became extremely fascinated with the decor and the costuming*. The plot, not so much.

*When you're looking at an action scene, and all that you can think of is just how much work it was to sew on all of those bugle beads by hand, you've probably lived with a crafter.

I've been doing that for a while now. I can hardly watch a movie without wondering how much the sets cost to build and how they were built, who made the props, how many people it took to film the scene, and so on. In my case, I blame the special features on DVDS. Back in the days of VHS I didn't care about those things.