Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

I've got a deck or two of initial release MtG socked away somewhere, but I gave up the game when I realized that the CCG genre was basically "Wanna win? Spend more money."

I was saved from MtG by the flu.  I was at the FLGS when they first got it and set it out, and a couple of my friends tried a game or two.  The next week I had the flu.  The week after that there were no MtG cards left for sale in the state.  There but for the grace of gods go I.

Well, the concept of building a combat army from a very large number of different distinct parts, with different core strategies, remains an interesting game concept. I was initially worried about power creep problems, but it rapidly became clear that high-effectiveness cards were rare enough that a large capital investment was required, and this was a design feature for the whole game genre. At that point I abandoned the genre.

I just sold off 12k or so MtG cards, plus a few thousand other game cards. I should've used them to get you all addicted instead. :D

We now only play board games, deck building games or living card games. Living card games are like CCGs, except you just buy a full playable set of the new expansions instead of end up with tons of useless commons and uncommons trying to get what you actually want. Android Netrunner is the one of those we allow ourselves. It's nearly a direct port of Netrunner, which IMO had some of the best rules and balance of any of the CCGs.

I was using Pamela Anderson as a universally understood example of a beautiful woman. (And, be honest, in her heyday would you have started kicking her if you found her in your bed?)

Only if she says that's how she gets her kicks.

Speaking of Anthony, I lost interest in the Xanth series after the 4th or 5th book. I felt like the increasingly contrived puns were getting in the way of the stories.

After a certain point, the puns were all there was to the stories. Even I don't like puns that much.

I've got a deck or two of initial release MtG socked away somewhere, but I gave up the game when I realized that the CCG genre was basically "Wanna win? Spend more money."

Exactly. It's not a game, it's a way for someone who isn't me to make money.  

Well, the concept of building a combat army from a very large number of different distinct parts, with different core strategies, remains an interesting game concept. I was initially worried about power creep problems, but it rapidly became clear that high-effectiveness cards were rare enough that a large capital investment was required, and this was a design feature for the whole game genre. At that point I abandoned the genre.

I've said much the same before but this time you said it for me.

Lucius Alexander

Experience the Palindromedary Difference!

I'd rather watch Texas Hold 'Em on television than play any collectible card game.

Not me, but that say more about how boring watching a card game is on TV than it does about the collectible card game.

Pretty much the only card games I can play are Rook and 500 Rummy.

• 4 weeks later...