Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

There was only one Matrix movie, and it was awesome.

Re complaining about movie theaters: I must live a charmed life, or maybe it's just another way that Denver is awesome, but I've almost never had those sorts of problems. Aside from the cheapo 2nd-run theaters, most of the theaters here are relatively clean and they take their No Talking Or Texting rules pretty seriously. I think I can remember having to shush someone once in the last decade. And we have theaters that sell BEER!

Well, we have 2 theaters in the county, and I was talking about the better one**.  I have gone to theaters in some nearby towns in my youth, that were better.  But, 2 counties over, well it seems hardly worth taking almost more time driving to the theater than watching the movie itself.

**Actually the "other" one probably was the better one (or at least cleaner one, if you were willing to wait an extra week to see it) back in the 80s, but it got run down pretty bad starting in the 90s.  Too bad they used to in my childhood show an old Disney movie a few Saturdays a year for the kids at low prices (heck in Nov/Dec for a can to go to the food drive)  saw a lot of classics for the first time.  (well, thinking on it most of those Saturdays were in the summer and Nov/Dec for Christmas time)

I will say Revenge of the Sith wasnt all that bad, once I did finally get around to watch it.

Unfortunately, the first 2 prequels had completely destroyed the mystique.

But, the 3rd I'll at least watch if I find it, with nothing else to do, the first 2 I would cut off the TV and stare at the blank screen first.

I will say Revenge of the Sith wasnt all that bad, once I did finally get around to watch it.

I would agree it was better than the first two prequels, but that's a pretty low bar IMO.

Tho I do have a friend who still gives me grief because he saw Sith based on my "recommendation" and hated it, said recommendation consisting of "It's mostly watchable, at least compared to the previous two." He hadn't seen the previous two, so he didn't understand how faint that praise was meant to be.

A lot of the people in this thread are actually building their geek credentials, rather than destroying them.  I don't know how many people have said things like "I hate all the popular sci-fi movies and shows, I only like things you've never heard of".  Or "I refuse to watch the new Doctor Who, because it can't live up to the one from the '70s."

That really just makes you look like more of a geek.  :)

I think Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke are hacks. I've only read one Asimov short story that I liked--"The Bicentennial Man"--and one Asimov novel that I liked--The Caves of Steel. I haven't read anything by Clarke that I enjoyed. In fact, 2061: Odyssey Three is on my list of worst books ever because Clarke takes some amazing ideas and makes them dull and boring.

More recently, I don't get the hype surrounding Neil Gaiman. I loved the movie Stardust so I decided to read the book. I got two or three pages in before the stilted writing style overwhelmed me and I had to run to the bathroom to puke. Seems to me that he's another writer with great ideas and poor execution.

Most of my reading of Asimov and Clarke was done no later than 1975. Compared to other stuff that came out in the 50s and 60s, it was ... good.

OTOH, I have occasionally assigned Clarke's The Star in classes here. It's only four pages or so, and being an astronomer at a Jesuit university, my students get a bit more zing from it than many would. Especially when I couple it to a discussion of GRB 080319B, which was observed a few hours before Clarke's death, and it's the most distant known object to have reached naked-eye brightness. That linked Wikipedia article leaves out some speculative results about that event; making some easy assumptions, if that burster had been 1000 parsecs away from us in our Galaxy and we were in one of its beams, it would have (a) had a peak apparent brightness several times that of the Sun, and ( b ) the gamma-ray and X-ray burst from it would have killed everything on the half of Earth where it was above the horizon.

With the exceptions of Project Moon Base, Forbidden Planet, and Star Trek, there was no good Science Fiction movies or TV shows until Star Wars.

Can't agree.

The British series UFO, Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet were all good. The Day The Earth Stood Still was a very good film and should not have been remade.

Also Barbarella, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dark Star, Westworld and Solyent Green which all predate Star Wars.

As does The Thing from Another World, Them !, various of the Godzilla films including Destroy All Monsters !, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Earth vs The Flying Saucers, The Blob and the first two Quatermass films which were originally on TV as serials.

Most SF movies in the 60s & 70s were intended to be cheesy B movies; it wasn't really until 2001 that Hollywood started taking the genre seriously.

Can't agree.

The British series UFO, Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet were all good. The Day The Earth Stood Still was a very good film and should not have been remade.

Also Barbarella, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dark Star, Westworld and Solyent Green which all predate Star Wars.

As does The Thing from Another World, Them !, various of the Godzilla films including Destroy All Monsters !, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Earth vs The Flying Saucers, The Blob and the first two Quatermass films which were originally on TV as serials.

I'd definitely agree with the Day The Earth Stood Still and The Thing From Another World. 2001 I never really got in to personally, tho I can recognize the achievement. Maybe Westworld, Soylent Green & Body Snatchers, if we're grading on a curve. The original Planet of the Apes was cheesy but entertaining. Silent Running suffered from That 70s Syndrome, but had some good bits.

Also: Metropolis.