• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Good and Bad about Marvel and DC

Good About Marvel

Marvel's The Avengers.

Bad About Marvel

Marvel's The Avengers having no supervillains other then Loki. Come on Guys! Let's have the master villain recruit a few thugs like Electro, Enforcer, Fixer, Beetle, and toss in Diamondback.

wasn'the beetle a spider-man villian originally?

So was Electro.

Nope. First Spidey villian was the Vulture. He met the Human Torch and Doc Oc in issue 6. The Doc had just beat him, and he was thinking of giving up being Spider-man. He went to a speech the Human Torch was giving, and inspired went after Doc again.

The first version of the Beetle armor debuted in the "Human Torch" segment of Strange Tales #123 (August 1964) as the creation of Abner Jenkins. This version was beaten by the Thing and Torch. This version would only be used for a few years before the character switched to the second version, which is the armor most associated with the name. This version would be in use until Thunderbolts #1 (April 1997) when Abe Jenkins alter ego was changed to MACH-1.

Enforcer originally appeared in Ghost Rider, Diamondback in Captain America and Fixer started off in SHIELD, with an array of appearances thereafter. Fixer, at least, ended up in Zemo's Masters of Evil, so he had a connection with the Avengers.

I think avoiding an army of Supervillains was probably the right choice for the movie. Getting a handle on the Avengers themselves (seven characters, counting Fury) and the conflict with Loki provided lots of on-screen personalities already, and a bunch more Supes would clutter the landscape without them really having the opportunity for any character development. I'd like to see some more non-master villains in future movies. Picking pieces from the various Masters of Evil would be a good start. But they can't just be throwaway easter eggs for the fans, although I suppose a wide battle where numerous villains are hired for some purpose relevant to the overall plot could make that work at least once. It would also work with rapid fire news shots if the point being conveyed is that this is a world full of super-powered people, but that's not the vibe they seem to be going for.

I just named a few Supervillains at random. I didn't mean those specifically.

That being said I think a few one on one fights between the heroes and the villains would have been cool.

But then would the heroes run into some problems like if Titania went up against Hulk would he say, as Solomon Grundy told the Super Best Friends Forever (Supergirl, Batgirl, and Wonder Girl) "Hulk Don't Fight Girls!"

Guest steamteck

I do agree that everything DC has done since the Crisis on Infinite Earths has been desperate.

I really really liked lots of things just after the crisis but it devolved and repowered up after far to few years. Wally just after is my by far favorite Fash. Withouts Byrne's Superman we would never have had many of the almost perfect things in the Timm/Diniverse Superman. I'll elaborate later but got real world stuff now.

Guest steamteck

Anyway. I enjoyed the Mike Baron Flash and he actually got that the speed of sound reflexes was pretty incredible. I prefer lower powered heroes that get their milage out of their owers rather thn ineffienct higher powered ones. The early post crisis stuff was fresh more reasonable and full of hope. I liked the era small as it was. The real DC universe will always be the animated doni/timmverse to me though. Sort of thebest parts version IMO.

I can't help but think that the Timm/Diniverse wouldn't exist without the work of the writers of the pre-crisis DC Comics.

Superman being exposed to the Black Mercy is straight out of DC Comics, as is Batman's encounter with the Terrible Trio,

Guest steamteck

I can't help but think that the Timm/Diniverse wouldn't exist without the work of the writers of the pre-crisis DC Comics.

Superman being exposed to the Black Mercy is straight out of DC Comics, as is Batman's encounter with the Terrible Trio,

It certainly owes alot to the whole history of Dc pre and post. As I said its a best parts version. I actually thought in superman's series businessman Luthor worked wonderfully. I also prefer his parents alive as in post crisis. Yeah the black Mercy story proves even Aan Moore can make adecent supers story ( although typically , I liked the cartoon version better)

Very good episode. I just wish it had included the following scene:

tumblr_lid98gk5sf1qhvx6po1_500.jpg

I believe the reason was that with the exception of the Joker none of Batman's regular cast of characters could be shown on Justice League while Batman Beyond was being licensed on another network.

I did not know it was an Alan Moore story. I didn't say he wasn't talented, I saw his world and characters lacked heroism.

To change the subject I think that Coulson will be back in the Marvel movies because Fury is a big enough SOB to make everyone think he was dead.

I have been perusing Netflix for animated superhero films. I must say that there are some alternative style animation superhero shorts by Marvel out there that I really like. The animation combines high quality art, but with extremely limited motion effects to it. It is hard to explain, but it almost looks like what you would get if you were playing with the high quality drawings/computer graphics. The high quality art/computer graphics, narration, story, and voice acting allows me to quickly get past the limited motion effects. In fact, it views more like a comic book than otherwise. There was one on the X-Men that had the Scott and Emma relationship going that was really interesting. I am watching one right now on Iron Man fighting a really powerful super soldier that I am enjoying. I do not like the animated films made for kids. Blah. There are also some good DC animated films in the style of the Animated Justice League that I enjoyed as well.

I have been perusing Netflix for animated superhero films. I must say that there are some alternative style animation superhero shorts by Marvel out there that I really like. The animation combines high quality art' date=' but with extremely limited motion effects to it. It is hard to explain, but it almost looks like what you would get if you were playing with the high quality drawings/computer graphics. The high quality art/computer graphics, narration, story, and voice acting allows me to quickly get past the limited motion effects. In fact, it views more like a comic book than otherwise. There was one on the X-Men that had the Scott and Emma relationship going that was really interesting. I am watching one right now on Iron Man fighting a really powerful super soldier that I am enjoying. I do not like the animated films made for kids. Blah. There are also some good DC animated films in the style of the Animated Justice League that I enjoyed as well.[/quote']

The Marvel Animated series? Iron Man' date=' Blade, X-Men [/i']and Wolverine?

I think those are the motion comics